Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

I know a good few English people who would be having a party if that happened to Boris.

Especially after all the money given to the tories by his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ruamann

You say "tougher" but what you mean is "meaner". They're different things. I notice Americans usually confuse ignorance, cruelty and bad manners with toughness, too.

You've gone down a rabbit hole of insanity.

I've suffered many condescending attacks from more than one person.

You called me a liar without any basis apart from some convuluted fantasy you've concocted.

A few here went apocalyptic when I suggested they sign up with the foreign Ukraine legions when they proffered Western troops to fight Russian forces. This upset people, whereas I think it reasonable. You differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Fair play to him for visiting and for the military support given to Ukraine indeed.

Unfortunately the scuttlebutt seems to be that the anti-ship missiles are not going to be anything other than something to dissuade Russia from trying an amphibious landing at or near Odessa. Which is useful to be sure but this idea that Ukraine will be able to secure the Black Sea in any meaningful way is unfortunately not going to be possible.

And still no sign of modern tanks or infantry fighting vehicles, artillery systems, air defences, or airborne weapons platforms aside from low-power loitering munitions. I really hope they're at least training Ukrainians on some of these systems whilst unplugging their fingers from their collective asses to actually supply what Ukraine are asking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So about that no NATO on Russian borders...Putin achieving everything he is against!

Exclusive: Full-scale Nato military force to defend borders (archive.ph)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Russians have been shelling a 4 tonne nitric acid container again. Thing is, the Ukrainians were calling them idiots because it was near their positions and they seemingly didn't check which way the wind was blowing first. Oops.

"Rescuers found bodies of tortured people in Voznesenska Church of Lukashivka village of Chernihiv region, where Russian army had HQ"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not something you want to see going past your window:

I presume that's a cluster bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I don't think anyone needs to hear or cares what Bertie thinks or says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm seeing a lot of comments and interesting discussion on various threads on social media this evening about an inherent arrogance and imperialist mindset in many / most Russian people - how they look down on most people in eastern Europe who don't speak Russian and how they regard all of the former Soviet republics as being inferior to Russia.

It would certainly explain a lot of what has been going on in recent weeks - how they went into Ukraine to 'put manners' on the people there and to teach them a lesson. But one wonders if there is a huge inferiority complex going on alongside their arrogance. By all accounts, the Ukrainians were better off, better educated, lived in nicer houses and were generally more sophisticated than our warmonger friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Things the Russian Eastern and Conscript Army are good at:

Indiscriminate shelling, rape, looting, murder, destruction

Aryan race stuff from the small bald man. So impressed with Mariupol who would occasionally meet Rovers, Bohs, Derry, Dundalk for the next round of the qualifiers of European football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think he has to take out nearer cities first, by the time the US bound Missiles strike we’re all dead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not in this case I heard him speak about putin before and it was good insight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I dont buy it. There seems to be plenty of examples of Russians who live in the west openly supporting what Russia are doing with no fear of anything if they speak out against it.

Yes i'm sure there are those Russians who are speaking out against the war and they should be commended for it, but they seem to be a small minority from what I can see so far.

It seems to me that Russians have a very nationalistic pride in their military and their standing in the world. And want too see the country led by a strong leader who will put it up to western powers.

Maybe many see Ukraine who wanted to move to closer ties with the EU and the west as traitors to Russia and want to see them put in their place for that, and in turn spewing the Nazi excuse for some kind of justification for that.

Now of course this is all my uneducated opinion and I admit I could be reading it totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

As a little side note to the above, my young son used to like watching a russian cartoon that used to be available on an app on our smart TV.

Not sure what it was called, it was a little like the film cars where the cars are like people but instead this was tanks and each cartoon was a battle between different tanks and more powerful tanks with bigger guns shooting at each other, many times the enemy tanks seem to be Nazi germany tanks.

Thinking about that I do wonder are children indoctrinated at a young age with stuff like that to have this kind of nationalistic pride in their military?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I have no respect for the current Pope in particular, nor for his office in general. I think it's abhorrent that he, his underlings and his religion pontificate (pun semi-intended), instruct and criticise how others live their lives when they are directly responsible for crimes that mirror what that the basest and nastiest Russian soldiers are currently doing in Ukraine (and likely elsewhere).

If I were in President Zelenskyy's position I would not be able to control my desire to very publicly show my feelings and tell the Pope to feck off back to the Vatican and clean his own house before coming to mine.

Rant over, I return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

Once those influenced by propaganda reaches a critical mass they will carry the day. The rest can be seduced, lied to, bullied...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

First clear use of a Martlet missile fired using a Starstreak launcher in Ukraine; looks like the poor guy in the trench regrets being so close to the blast. Seems to be some confusion over what was actually shot down; but reportedly some kind of Russian UAV.

EDIT: Seemingly not a Starstreak missile; but a Starstreak launcher with a Martlet missile.

Note that the Martlet missile is also used in an anti-ship role; so it's entirely possible this is the anti-ship missile the UK has earmarked for Ukraine.

Post edited by ronivek on

• Advertisement

I suspect there's a lot of stuff going into Ukraine that nobody is being told about.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm really not so sure JM, at least for a large enough percentage of the Russian population. Put it another way here in the West throughout our lives we all have access to many different political, historical and social narratives and information and yet we have large chunks of people who fervently believe in their Truth and Side, whether that be Fox news or the Guardian. Hell, we have people and not just Americans who believe trump was robbed of his second term, others that believe that vaccines give you hair cancer, new world orders, world economic forum lizards, too many facists around or not enough. And it's not only on the Right either, the Left are just as bad, though both are convinced the Other Side is worse. There will be enough Westerners out there who either believe putin and Russia or at least want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Now imagine you grew up in a society where things on the belief side were far more sure, where you only heard one narrative, one politic, one history. Going against that will be significantly more difficult, when the very idea of going against it is a "sin".

It can be even simpler than that. The vast majority of people want the same very basic things. To have a life, settle down, have kids, some comfort and a little left over for a few luxuries and no stress. Promise them that and you have them. Promise them that you will defend that and you have them. Promise you will destroy those who would take those things away and you have enough who will kill to support you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It doesn't need his death, just his removal from power. Russian/Soviet politicians do retire or get replaced, often by moves in the Kremlin. His problem is that even if he gets a May declaration of a hollow victory the real pain will only start then. There is no conceivable scenario where sanctions are reversed in the next 3-6 months, even if he pulled out tomorrow and as the EU move on the reduction/elimination of Russian oil and gas it will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

A lot of that is a result of Russian propaganda in the west which has really ramped up in the last decade and is now almost a cancer in society. They aren’t trying to convince us Russia is great or their way of life is the future. It’s a more insidious propaganda to erode our trust in our societies and divide opinion. Everything now is both sides and what aboutism , don’t believe what they are telling you, hidden agendas, experts are obfuscating the truth, conspiracy theories and lizard people , we are all just pawns, this stuff has really ramped up in the last 10 years and it is Russian propagandists who have fanned the flames and they have been doing it to prepare the ground for this terrible war that they knew they could never have gotten away with if they didn’t have that propaganda work done. Now they haven’t gotten away with it. Obviously they needed and still need many more years working on us here in the west. Putin couldn’t wait any longer to invade. But they have a lot of work done and they will continue to spread their bull **** and sow division amongst us indefinitely. It’s only going to get worse. There needs to be serious action taken against this propaganda by intelligence agencies in the west. Whether banning Russian sources of information and I.P addresses or taking more muscular legal action against disinformation and truth erosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,872 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Probably not bit how much do you have to screw up for Bertie makes a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Definitely a Irish person who volunteers bringing aid into the Ukraine, who I let shower sleep over get a bite to eat ,showed me a video of what appeared to be long range tracked artillery been transported from Poland into the Ukraine during the week.

Yes. An elderly Russian woman recently said the war is being waged against Ukraine so 'we' can have a good life. It is easy to understand this mentality even if it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Micko67

20Silkcut "It’s a more insidious propaganda to erode our trust in our societies and divide opinion."

Marxist feminism comes from the east. Most likely to weaken western society by setting people against each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement