Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

The joycon gyro-based aiming is nowhere near as precise as a light-gun or a wii controller which both use light (but in different ways)

The motion-based gyroscope technology is simply not up to the task of a lightgun-style shooter imo

Also the gyro aiming needs to be reset constantly to centre using a button as it drifts off every second or two and when pressing the trigger itself (which is not great on bosses which are based off small "weakpoint" areas)

Far from ideal

Has a pretty noticeable impact on gameplay imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Damn.. and that's the main way I'd be playing on my Switch Lite .. might pick it up in a few months when on sale

Quake is still the best implementation of gyro-aiming in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Gyro aiming is great in BOTW. Thumbstick for coarse aiming, then gyro to refine it.

Wii sensor and Wii controller was great, but a bit fiddly to set up and more wires etc. But, yep - solid then.

I wish the Xbox had gyro aiming.

PS does, but only a few games avail of it.

Botw is one thing.

A game that has its basis as lightgun shooter and where really quick aiming is the entire game mechanic as is the case of House Of The Dead on this case is another

it's different to an FPS or the FPS elements of Botw

Wouldn't even consider it on the slightest for switch lite .

It's not even great with using detached joycons

Trying to aim constantly with the whole device would be even worse

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I spent less than a tenner on ebay and got a battery powered sensor bar replacement that works just fine. That plus a supported USB Bluetooth dongle means that I have been able to port across my Wii saves into a Dolphin instance so I'm no longer depending on Wii hardware for those games. And I'd rather play lightgun games like House Of The Dead Overkill with a Wiimote gungrip, it gives it a bit of an arcade throwback feel...

It's a wonder this cheap tech isn't available for the glut of shooting games that exist today on consoles. Would certainly be a lot more fun and realistic than "aiming with thumb sticks".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was genuinely a bit disappointed to find that there only appears to be one rifle-style gun grip for the Switch (though the Wii 3rd party accessory market did go full-on bonkers for wasteful plastic tat, so I can get the reluctance to repeat that foible).

These days I reckon my best bet will be something like the Sinden lightguns and compatible emulators...

• Advertisement

with gyro as opposed to light-based systems you're not pointing at the screen really - just moving the on-screen cursor in relation to where you see it

hence no real surprise on the absence of joycon holder gun-styled junk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm tempted by Skywalker Saga but I almost dare not ask lest it start the salty segue again. I don't play Switch knowing I'm getting parity with the other, more technically competent consoles and it doesn't bother me most of the time ... but I expect at least a professional downgrade with effort put in: is this Star Wars game more like a Panic Button port, than (say) the slapdash Outer Worlds crap migration? So just a few understandable compromises rather than gutting the fidelity and calling it job done?

For those that want the benefits of portability with the benefits of a Pro-Controller.

Bring back the wiimote/nunchuck/sensor bar. Nintendo could add support to switch very easily.

Great system with no drift, excellent controls and user replaceable batteries. And there are millions of them gathering dust. Could save a lot of landfill too.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

yes I agree don't see why they couldn't add support for it

especially since they have done for the gamecube controllers

But the real reason is that the Wii Re-releases will be saved for down the line cashing-in on Nintendo Switch Online Wii edition

imo the balance of those type of set-ups end up feeling just off

too top-heavy

Very good point.

But I'm holding onto a Wii U and and wiimotes to avoid that cash grab.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mod: There appears to be a number of threads where some posters seem intent on bringing up the same issues with Nintendo and their release schedule, both software and hardware.

There was a specific thread set up for this particular discussion, so please discuss it there.

Thanks folks

the wii controller thing came from a perfectly reasonable and relevant point made by a poster coming out of a discussion about the not-so-successful controls for the house of the dead game which is relevant here as it's a new release

it's a fair point to mention imo why Nintendo has chosen not to provide this support and that's not directly connected to future switch hardware

it would have been a good option to have for those with wii peripherals - certainly a superior addition to what's there for that game

someone else claimed those same controls for House of the dead are good which is actually not true imo having experienced them

at best they are problematic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I hear everybody's talking about this

Played this on the PS5 through Plus since had nothing else at the time and really liked it. Looking forward to the free update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Intertwined fates – Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9Hqccm1EyO4

Nintendo & Bandai Namco Remaking a 3D Action Game?! 3 New Job Listings Basically Confirm It!

The speculation and hope on Resetera is that it's Kid Icarus: Uprising. But the bit in the job listing that says "HD remastering of 3D backgrounds" makes me think it's... no scratch that, Kid Icarus: Uprising is a decent shout. It could benefit from updated HD visuals and improved controls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kid Icarus: Uprising would be wonderful to see, the 3DS game was outstanding.

Switch Up review "House of the dead"

Those "controls" come in for an examination ....

Yep, they started to wobble on me during play, lots of resetting the things.

Still a very enjoyable game though

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge - Behind the scenes #1: Once upon a shell

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge is coming to PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this year.

In a rare behind the scenes video, filmed in the Tribute Games’ studio, Co-Founder Jean-Francois Major and Dotemu CEO Cyrille Imbert discuss their lifelong dreams of working on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. After creating a string of acclaimed hits with the talent at Tribute Games (amongst other studios), Major joined forces with Dotemu to navigate the years of discussions to secure the rights to a new outing based on the Turtles’ timeless 1987 designs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Two good games I like the look of this week. Nobody Saves The World, and Blast Brigade.

it is fun but compromised nevertheless by the aiming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Widespread rumors of GB/GBC/GBA coming to NSO soon. Leaked screenshots on 4chan, so big grain of salt.

NEW Amsterdam Drift is Now in Mario Kart Tour! Let's Try It Out! (Amsterdam Tour Gameplay)

Amsterdam Drift is now in Mario Kart Tour! Let's check out 3 of its variants including Normal, Reverse, and Trick!

This new track will most probably be part of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC.

Also rumours that there might be Transfer Pak support between GB/GBC games and N64 games.

I’d assume link-cable support too since that had that working on 3DS.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Repair Center Was Constantly Overwhelmed, Claims Former Supervisor

The Nintendo of America Contractors Who Feel Like Second Class Workers

Post edited by sligeach on

Splatoon 3 – Release Date Revealed - Nintendo Switch

INKoming! Splatoon 3 splashes down on Nintendo Switch September 9th! Get an early look at the game with this fresh Turf War gameplay!

Cool. So the suggested reason for the Xeno 3 change was seemingly right

• Advertisement

Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, And Nintendo Switch Sports File Sizes Revealed

The file sizes of a few upcoming Nintendo games have been announced.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 ~ 15.0 GB

Splatoon 3 ~ 6.0 GB

Nintendo Switch Sports ~ 1.4 GB

Nintendo Switch Sports review embargo has been lifted. 74% so far from 14 reviews on Metacritic, 7 positive, 7 mixed.

​​

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I just wanna know how catch the menu music is

Wii Sports was *chefs kiss*

Nintendo Switch Sports will suck the remaining Wii stragglers back into the Nintendo fold.

I expect it to do very well indeed.

They have to release a Switch bundle with it included. But not free this time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Decent metacritic scores so far then, if that's your thing, 65% or better. I didn't fancy the look of it but those scores are quite reassuring. I'll look forward to seeing what my go to YouTube channels think of it as well.

I just find it difficult to get past the non Mii characters that look like they could have come straight from all those cheapo party games on the Wii.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Only had a look at couple of reviews but are they all based on the game now? Just since I know some had previews so may have played golf and included that in their reviews even though it won't be available until later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

No good to me if it is purely multiplayer. The original Wii Sports allowed you to play against the computer in tennis and boxing and I can’t see any comments anywhere that says that this game is the same.

I'm going to wait until golf is out for it.

To be honest, the Wii game did well because the Wiimote controller made it easy to play the different sports, especially for those with no experience with a games controller.

How do the controls work out this time?

Is it as stupid simple as before?

Being a pack-in game was also a factor in its popularity - I don't know if as many people would've paid £30 for Wii Sports alone. Wii Sports Resort had 13 games, which makes the initial offering on Switch Sports feel a bit miserly. Hopefully Golf won't be the only free update.

I don't remember having as much fun with Sports Resort at all, I don't think I enjoyed the format and the focus on the Wuhu Island setting.

I recall that ruining the Pilotwings Resort too, with Wuhu Island being nowhere near as entertaining a place as the different secret filled destinations in Pilotwings 64.

This launches with six sports, with Golf coming later, hopefully we might see boxing and something like frisbee in a later update.

Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wind Waker Switch Ports to Release This Year Alongside Metroid Prime Remastered, Grubb Believes

It's a rumour, and I don't see any evidence here to back up what Jeff is saying. But these games have been heavily rumoured for some time. I'm trying to think what big game Nintendo will have at the end of the year to replace BOTW2. The Mario Odyssey team should have something near ready. I'm sure Nintendo have some ports ready on standby to fill any gaps if necessary and Zelda and Metroid would be good fillers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You say "boxing" Cider and it immediately made me wish there was a remaster or the Wii Punch-Out. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So there is single player in Switch Sports. After confirming this on a Youtube video, bought and downloaded and went through the games with my teenage son. It is great fun, with volleyball being a particular delight. He murdered me in Chambala but having played tennis and bowling from before he was born, that gave me the edge over him in those games!!

I can see four-player tennis being absolute mayhem!

It has the Nintendo shine and polish of a first-party game with the gameplay honed to a fine point.

It's 35 stg on Amazon UK with the leg band.

Meh.

I've got Wii sports and Wii sports resort.

Oh, you can play 4 player bowling simultaneously !!!!!!!!!

Make sure you use those joy con straps ... 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

might work with a Switch Lite too ... 4 people crowded around the tiny screen... definitely

• Advertisement
Advertisement