Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Some of the stuff that happened over the last 2 years is absolutely cringeworthy and nobody involved should be getting any promotions.

I remember Holohan talking about how lethal BBQs were as someone would have to eventually use the toilet... Or actual demonstrations on TV on how to pass a gravy boat safely...

There really should be an investigation into every restriction that was ordered and ensure the things that had no merit will never be seen again under any circumstances!

If there is another pandemic we need to be prepared. Work from home were possible and social distance. No other virtue signalling nonsense is needed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Really disturbing.

I'm only looking at it thinking "don't open the windows"?? What do they think is going to happen if windows are opened?Realistically, how many people in a high rise building will open windows infect?

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Now that the laws have been done away with and people are starting to come to their senses, I haven't really been following the news or boards recently, but I heard the radio news for the first time in a few days today, and I see / hear that King Tony is taking a bit of flak for his taxpayer funded move to Trinity, including from Mehole who is looking for a report on the whole process.

I wonder is this some form of payback for Tony playing puppet master with the government over the last two years?

I remember someone saying to me at the time when Big Phil got nailed over "Golfgate" that political enemies always "lurk in the long grass" (i.e. play the long game), waiting for the most opportune moment to strike back.... I can help but wonder if this is Tony's chickens coming home to roost after how he played the government, and by extension, the rest of us mere taxpaying mortals who were confined to our homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Probably completely off topic for this thread but if you've seen any of the interviews and soundbites they've all said its nothing to do with the CMO how it (the secondment) was handled and arranged, so this whole king Tony, payback etc is a bit misjudged from you tbh.

What's being questioned is the process from the Dept of Health civil servents, I.e Robert Watt the secretary General of the dept of health, who would have had the final say on it and signed off on it. Its how they arranged an open ended secondment with trinity funded by the Dept of Health that's under the microscope and rightly so.

Perhaps you are right.

I've not been paying too much attention, just mentioning what I heard on the radio.

I didn't do too much digging, I don't care about King Tony all that much, although anything that gets a dig into him is OK in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“PROFESSOR LUKE O’NEILL, alongside infectious disease experts Professor Mary Horgan and Paddy Mallon have been confirmed as members of the Government’s new Covid-19 advisory group.”

It will be chaired by Holohan.

The whole list:

New Covid-19 advisory group members

Chair: Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn

Chief Clinical Officer of the HSE Dr Colm Henry

Chair of the IEMAG Prof Philip Nolan

Chair of the HIQA Covid-19 Expert Advisory Group

Prof Máirín Ryan

Chair of the AMRIC Dr Eimear Brannigan

Director, HPSC Dr Derval Igoe

Regional Director of Public Health Dr John Cuddihy

General Practitioner Dr Tadhg Crowley

President RCPI Prof Mary Horgan

Consultant Microbiologist Dr Anne Rose Prior

Consultant in Infectious Diseases Prof Paddy

Mallon

ESRI Behavioural Research Unit Prof Pete Lunn

Director, National Virus Reference Laboratory Dr

Cillian de Gascun

Professor of Physical Chemistry Prof John Wenger

Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry Dr Anne Moore

Professor of Biochemistry and Immunology

Professor of Biochemistry and Immunology Prof

Luke O'Neill

Professor, Chair in Comparative Immunology Prof

Cliona O'Farrelly

Head of Health Protection Division, DOH Mr Fergal

Goodman

Representative of the Department of An Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Like when an organisation "rebrands" but are still the exact same organisation they were before.

NPHET 2.0 🙄

First sign of a new "variant" and they'll lock us down again in a heartbeat given half a chance.....

I look forward to NPHET 2.0 changing their mind every week now with O’Neill on there.

One positive sign is that there is no sign of ray Walley or Dr Favier on there. Don’t mean to be personal but they were the worst. Pushing horrible agendas around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In all probability that is untrue. NPHET virtually shrugged their shoulders at any Omicron and post-Omicron variants, much to the horror of some, so at most it will monitor in the background. Any suggestions of alarm should drop way very quickly over these next few weeks and they may as well earn their fees by starting work on a better improved pandemic plan. Their most immediate job will be considering the challenges of COVID/flu season 2022-23, coming in September.

I hope you are right, but they have form with regards to restrictions, whether you think they were justified or not.

Time will tell I guess, heaping misery on top of more misery won't do any good in future, especially with regards to delayed detections, deferred hospital admissions etc. As has has been mentioned before, the cure is possibly worse than the disease.

As a related aside, something that I just remembered while typing.... VHI are giving partial refunds in premiums because of reductions in the number of patients being able to access services over the last two years.

Nice big drop in hospital numbers , down 113 to 1,069, so we should hear no more about them.

The amount of authoritarianism on Twitter seems to be growing by the day. It’s quite unnerving seeing people demanding lockdowns because people “ don’t get it” about masks and social distancing etc The dinner that Pelosi was at that caused 37 infections really has the drool coming from their mouths.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Don’t think anyone in the real world is listening to them Micky, it’s done, they’ll just have to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

People of Ireland taken for mugs for 2 years. Maybe with this latest "jobs for the boys" scandal, the remaining worshippers of Saint Tony of NPHET might finally see what it was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

It's over for now.

But come next Oct-Nov the usual mob will be calling for restrictions to bailout our pathetic health service.

It seems the IMNO are butthurt that none of them were included in the new advisory panel. Jesus if they got in we’d be hearing nothing but moaning and ‘advising’ about restrictions and masks anytime hospitals numbers rise a bit.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Things are actually worse in China than this apparently. In Shanghai, sick babies are being taken from parents and kept in makeshift dormitories, with a nurse:child ratio of about 1:10.

People are trapped in their homes, not with few supplies; some with no supplies at all. Elderly and vulnerable people without food or medicine or health care.

Allegedly the military has been deployed onto the streets in anticipation of larger protests.

I can't see where this goes for China tbh. A lot of CCP propaganda at the start focussed on how they had saved the people from the pandemic. How the West was floundering and allowing its people to die in the name of personal freedoms. That by sacrificing all of their liberty, the CCP did best by the Chinese people.

That picture of the big pool party in Wuhan was massive CCP propaganda about their victory over COVID while the west was still suffocating.

But now they're fucked. Omicron has evolved beyond the effectiveness of even the harshest lockdown. I imagine even culling the sick at this stage wouldn't be enough to stop it.

But the CCP have no idea what to do next. To allow it to spread, to admit failure, is not acceptable. They need a "win" to pull this back. Maybe they'll purchase 2bn doses of Pfizer, rebrand them as Sinovac 2 and roll them out, I don't know.

But it's all looking very ropey. They can't keep starving people in their homes and abducting children to stop an unstoppable virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Tony Holohan is not taking up the Trinity role. https://www.independent.ie/news/dr-tony-holohan-will-not-take-up-academic-position-at-trinity-college-dublin-and-will-leave-public-service-41537150.html Hes dead right. As always public servants are disposable when politicians need a scapegoat and wouldn't stand over a sensible decision. Not much thanks there for all he did for his country. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Post edited by Spudman_20000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Clearly there are people here who feel we would have coped better with Covid if our government worked without any medical advice. With insight like that, I have no interest in continuing the debate. As far as I'm concerned, Holohan worked tirelessly on behalf of the nation and deserves thanks for that. But of course politicians run before the mob when a public servant should be defended. They have no backbone. We have lost his expertise which no doubt will be well rewarded elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sorry what did he do for his country exactly? I must've missed that.

King Tony deserves nothing, he has a neck like a jockeys bollix and rode roughshod over the democratically elected government that, as you so rightly said, had / has no backbone... they just crumpled.

However, King Tony, Leo & Mehole threw out pandemic plans (yes, such things existed), and if they hadn't ditched those pre-existing plans they wouldn't have need King Tony's "expert anti-alcohol, anti-social, medical advice", instead they just went straight to the Chinese lockdown model because they quickly discovered that they could get away with it.

A Chinese solution to a Chinese problem, eh?

Anyway, it's all academic now anyway. King Tony has a few more months left to boost his fat pension and then he's out of our lives 😊

It can only be good for the country that he's gone. He did a horrendous job as CMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He did his job for which he was paid extremely well . I should bloody hope on that salary that he did a good job Many others did a wonderful job including nurses , ambulance crews , supermarket workers , transport etc etc

My admiration goes to those who got up every morning many on low wage and kept this country going

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I suspect he will retire in July, and then take up a role in Trinity or similar, in the next year or so.

Easiest way to cut the argument off.He'll get his pension, and can then go on to work wherever he wants.The Dept of Health won't be paying him.

There wasn't much to listen to. It was more of a broken clock and varying levels of personal outrage and histrionics at lives being disrupted in such a way. Boris went your route once, and changed his mind very fast as people were dying. There's a whole lot of Captain Hindsight at work here and you were just as clueless as the rest of us about what COVID might do. It's actually like making selective evidence suit your conclusion, otherwise known as bad science.

Personally find this settling of scores increasingly baffling. Did COVID mess up my life? Yes of course, as much as many others and far less than those who were directly affected by it. But it is now over, in the rearview mirror so to speak, except for all the new things I learnt and did. That's a better COVID legacy IMO than the obsessive rerunning of all the imagined wrongs that COVID public health measures did to people.

My advice is to move on from this and not be the bore who goes off about COVID and what happened at the drop of a hat. I have not had a COVID conversation in the best part of 6 months, beyond the far less frequents posts here, and I suspect it's a common theme for others.

Captain Hindsight you say...

A lot of us could see exactly what was happening at the time, but it didn't fit the narrative so we got ignored.

And scores most definitely do need to be settled, otherwise the lockdown merchants will get emboldened and they'll do it all over again, and again, and again.

• Advertisement

Having a 5km travel restriction in place for 7 months was just wrong. Not an imagined wrong, just wrong.

As was banning children from playing sports or getting shoes.

Lots of things that happened over the last 2 years were just plain wrong.

What's most disturbing is how easily people accepted and even welcomed having freedoms removed and replaced with authoritarian, Draconian restrictions.

Maybe it's easy for people that weren't too impacted to just shrug it off.

At the next election I'll be voting for the few TDs that actually responded to me and agreed that it was a joke.

Advertisement