Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny one earlier that i got a bit of childish enjoyment out of; a guy in a big expensive looking merc passed me with probably about a foot to spare coming in to sutton, but i caught up with him at the lights about ten seconds later. i pulled up alongside and motioned at him to wind down the window, which he did with a look of bemused confusion on his face. i told him he'd missed me by about a foot, and he started to smirk and open and close his mouth as if he had some smart reply, but nothing came out; and he started to wind up the window (which went up comically slowly) which gave me time to say to him 'if that was deliberate, it was bad enough, but if it was a mistake that might be even worse; please drive more safely in future'; all the while his stupid smug head was bobbling and his mouth moving as if he had the ultimate riposte but his tank was empty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well I hit a car today and I am not proud of my reaction, coming down the N31 hill (towards blackrock) and a light Blue Audi SUV pulled out in front of me while I was doing 40kmph. I was able to brake/swing in behind and avoid, I let a roar, which he heard but smirked about and when we were level again I swung out and hit his wing mirror (very lightly). He then gave chase, swerved at me, so I slowed so he could catch me. He had a big spiel and rant ready to go but I managed to cram so many novel curse words into those 10 seconds he decided to leave the conversation. I was, shamefully, full of adrenaline and testosterone and ready to wrap his door round his head like a necklace. He will undoubtedly go home to give out about those bloody cyclists. Hopefully he copped the team name on my shorts and rings the club complaining, Merijn Zeeman will find it an odd complaint to deal with #fullkitwanker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

newtownpark avenue?

a light Blue Audi SUV pulled out in front of me while I was doing 40kmph.

the very same thing - same colour and make of SUV - happened to me about three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

where is that? Alan D lives on the northside (D5?) i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

looks like it’s the Grange road in Baldoyle, the lanes are a disaster up there, they swerve in and around parking spots as well as the crossings causing pinch points

Mt. Merrion Avenue is what I would call it but can't find an official name bar the N31, not Newtownpark Avenue, it is the turn before that (heading south on the N11) that brings you down on the northside of the Frascati centre.

Post edited by CramCycle on

just checked the map - the N31/mount merrion avenue drops onto the northside of the frascati centre. turns out newtownpark avenue is the R113.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2 conversations in the last week that I wasn't expecting.

First my father, who is an excellent driver, hyper observant and has driven all sorts of hgv and machinery on the roads. Has 2 cyclist sons. "You'll never guess where I saw 2 cyclists today" I was genuinely expecting the m50 or similar. "on the road between Colpe cross and Donecarney, holding up a line of traffic and then having then all squeeze past them" Told him I often use that road and asked what if they just lived in Donecarney? Flummoxed with that one tbh.

Another just now in a cafe in duleek. Pair of bikers asking a cyclist why he didn't have hi-viz. He pointed to the reflective strips on his black jacket and told them he did. When I told them I never worn a yellow vest either they were awful put out. "sure if you're doing 140 around a bend you'll never see a fella in black...." FML.

Then " sure cyclists be fine if they just did what they should" what's that? " Cycle tight to the ditch and stick to good roads, not twisty backroads".

I fuckin give up ....

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

On your first point while I'd never question the right to use any road by bicycle it's beyond me the choices most leisure cyclists repeatedly use for a spin.

Dropped pin

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CtEzUvZnD8zk16ph9

I was driving to Tralee last week and met a lad riding east solo on that section with 10-15 vehicles behind him including a couple of HGVS. How the fcuk is that enjoyable?

There is a really simple alternative on the other side of Blackwater (as they there nearly always is with a major river).

There was a serious accident on the R671/672 Clonmel Dungarvan road. I counted up the fatalities on that road in the last 50 years and some of the serious incidents and it is pretty jaw dropping. Yet it is hugely popular with leisure cyclists, even on days with traffic volumes will be mental (Waterford playing in Thurles on a hot day with half of Tipperary heading south to the beach for example).

Again there is close to perfect cycling routes on both sides of main road where on a busy day you might encounter 5-10 cars on a busy day between Clonmel and Dungarvan. I've often done it without seeing a car.

Ironically one of the big traffic drivers now on weekends is people driving to Greenway for a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

That's the road your pin is dropped on. I presume you meant to put it on a different road? Otherwise I'd have to question why multiple HGV were using it.

If it is the road you meant, it's the sort of road I would actively seek out to cycle on, as it looks nice a quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Yep really weird Google maps fcuk up.

Fixed now it's the N72 between Mallow and Rathmore

Ok. That's the sort of road I avoid if I can. Busy road, nowhere to pull in and let faster traffic past

What if the guy on that road was simply going from A to B and this was the most straightforward route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

There are lots of field gates that he could use to pull into for a few seconds to let the traffic past him!

Traffic can wait until its safe to overtake and then overtake. Don't see the big deal.

That's all well and good, but I would be of the opinion that if you're on a road where traffic is travelling at 80kph, and there's a build up behind you, it costs very little to pull over, if there's an opportunity, and let the faster traffic past.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you often pull over when driving in heavy urban traffic to let a faster cyclist through?

• Advertisement

I don't drive in heavy urban traffic. If I go to Dublin, I park at the Red Cow Luas and take public transport.

Regardless, it's a false equivalency. A cyclist filtering through heavy urban traffic is not the same as vehicles travelling at 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As a driver who doesn't cycle myself I'd be watching any bikes like a hawk along there as they just simply have to pull out, and suddenly too. What an absolutely atrotious bit of design.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Health & Safety rules would never allow bus drivers in Ireland to be exposed to that kind of danger!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nonetheless, it just fuels the sentiment that bicycles are *not really* valid forms of transport and *shouldn't really* be there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

With a long queue behind, on a road with limited safe overtaking opportunities, the safest option for the cyclist is to pull in and allow the queue behind to overtake. It's the lowest risk option for the cyclist!

Personally I mitigate such risk by taking the primary position in the lane making it physically impossible for an overtaking manoeuvre unless its 100% safe to do so.

Anything less invites dangerously close passes.

After 3 dangerous passes in a single bike journey a while back, this is the only way I cycle now. Haven't had a dangerous pass since adopting this practice.

Might inconvenience a few drivers but ensures I get from a to b safely.

You could conceivably do both things. Take primary position until there was the opportunity to allow the faster traffic past

There is always an opportunity to pass safely, just might have to wait. Just to be clear, I'm not stopping overtaking, I'm stopping dangerously close overtaking by those passing when it's not safe to do so. I also do this regardless of the road type or location (housing estate, city streets, regional or national roads).

I believe its some kind of psychological thing where a pass in primary position results in the overtaking vehicle moving totally over the white line (as if overtaking a car). Once the car is about halfway over the middle libe, they've all (so far in my experience) gone fully over it.

The opposite is true when I cycled in the secondary position, i.e. Close to the kerb/grass verge. Overtaking resulted in vehicles attempting to NOT cross the white line which ended up with me nearly being wiped out multiple times. This also results in passes occurring with oncoming traffic.

As I've said many times, after 3 VERY close dangerous passes in one day I abandoned the secondary position and point blank refuse to take that position now. Its simply too dangerous.

I get honked at regularly and have had a few shout abuse but most are fine. I'm guessing the ones most irritated by this are the ones most likely to attempt dangerous passes.

• Advertisement

As I said already, it's possible to do both of the things suggested here. What you choose to do in any situation, is, of course, up to you. I just don't think it has to be a binary position.

I understand primary position, and use it myself when needed. But if I have the opportunity to move aside and allow traffic to pass me, particularly on a national road, I'll happily do that too.

Advertisement