Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes he did and it was yes and then I'm First Contact too but he could turn it off by then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How better to celebrate the post-scarcity utopia of star trek than goddamn NFTs... Wish this fad would take a hike already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Why is the art in NFTs always so bad?

Because they are worthless, in reality, so why put in the effort? Some fool will still buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Now I'm hearing this in Brent Spiner's voice:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that's true but I also wonder is it also intentionally part of the con. To see just how **** your art can be, yet still have tech dudebros throwing their cash at you.

I forgot to post it, but this is a long, but fascinating deep dive into just how definitively a con and waste NFTs are, in case people remain unsure if they're a good thing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

NFTs are aslo the scourge of my cohorts in the cartooning world. Loads of art being pilfered by Crypto-charlatans and resold as "NFTs" to people who barely even know what they are. At least Cryptocurrency has the pretense of pretending to be money, but NFTs are just a way of buying bragging rights and very little else.

I do wish for both to go away, and I really wish that established studios / companies would stop trying to lend this nonsense legitimacy. I believe Disney are also going to release their own NFT thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was shocked to see in that video that NFTs are at the point of having billboards.

As for the Trek one each ship is "unique and designed by algorithm" which is code for "your ship will be the Galaxy class with longer nacelles or the Galaxy class with Constitution nacelles"

Ms

What are NFTs? Never heard of them before thankfully as they do not sound good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The excellent video I shared goes into detail about them, albeit especially technical. It's worth a watch as it's exhaustive about how they are, basically, a scam masquerading as a transformative tech to allow a kind of open privacy. Advocates like to boast how everything from tax records to birth certs could / will exist on the cloud, encrypted to the person. ATM they're mocked because they're used as proof of purchase of various "original" pieces of some really shítty JPGs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Does anyone know what time the new Picard episodes land on Prime each week? Tks

EDIT: Nevermind, I was counting the episodes wrong, it's there.

EDIT 2: This isn't my day, no it isn't, so if anyone knows please let me know. 🤷‍♂️

Post edited by a_squirrelman on

Wait, I think I missed this but ... are you a cartoonist/artist? That something you are happy or comfortable sharing? 😃

A bit off topic for Trek but always happy to share a little. I host my own webcomics here:

(Yes, the URL is based on my Boards name :P)

The webcomics are on haitus because in the past couple of years I have also been working with a print publisher here in Norway on an anthology series (you know, like Discovery was *supposed* to be). They even got me to do a cover in one of last year's volumes:

I based the kid's uniforms heavily on the TNG uniform, with some changes. My contribution to the antology is "Last Day: Stand Tall" a comic I drept up based on the lyics of "The Final Countdown". A couple of kids go to a summer camp in space just before the Earth suddenly explodes. The story involves their various adventures while they cope with the idea living the rest of their lives on a space-station and their grief.

I also do yearly collaboration book with a manga artist in Japan which we do in both Japanese & English.

Sort of on-topic, Trek does have a lot of impact on how I write this stuff, and later batch of Trek has been at least helpful in showing me how to not write a sci-fi story.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

I believe new episodes are added on Friday at 10am, so you were just an hour or two early.

I can see episode 6 is available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Trek scholar Myer Burnett talks about Discovery

What the fk is a Trek scholar ?

He also has a masters in whingebaggery by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

What's this post ^ if not petty insecure "whingebaggery"

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

These guys aren't necessarily wrong in the points they make, like Discovery is poorly written and does lean too heavily on it's own moral absolutes, but honestly it sounds like they're just using Discovery as a sort of proxy argument for 'the good old days' when men were in charge and a strong work ethic and strict military discipline were aspirational goals.

"There aren't even any men 😭"

Post edited by eadrom on

To say anyone who buys a subscription to Discovery needs to reevaluate their lives is laughable when you also claim all Trek from 09 on is sht but are still banging on and watching every movie and episode. Just stop watching you fking loser.

He is also an "imagination connoisseur" btw.

• Advertisement

I'm a Barry's Tea Scholar.

*slurp*

I've been studying my own anatomy since my early teens so I must be a scholar by now.

If TV was better when that was the case is arguing in favour of that actually a bad thing if you want better TV? I don't think that is their position though ability over identity is probably closer to what they want.

TV wasn't really better then though we just didn't have these whiney cnts (well they just didn't have as broad a platform)

What was better about TOS and TNG is when they made a mistake or a sht episode (of which there were many) you could just laugh it off without these stupid fks who have spent the last 11 years watching something they hate.

I'm one of those people who loved the Simpsons but thinks it's awful now. So you know what I did. I stopped watching and left the people who still watch it alone. I don't hate watch and edgelord all over Simpsons forums.

Paragraph one: TV wasn't better before

Paragraph three: The Simpsons used to be better

Bit of a contradiction, no?

No one says every episode of older Star Trek was better but averaged out it definitely was. Pick 5 random episodes of anything pre-Discovery and 5 from after and I can guarantee the former would be better quality in everything bar special effects than the latter.

Some TV was better before and some is better now. So no it's not a contradiction.

I'll take Lower Decks over the usually useless Voyager or the always useless ENT for instance.

I am in no way trying to argue for Discovery it's a poor show. I am just sick of these repetitive redundant fks claiming to be "experts" or "scholars" getting constantly regurgitated. Most of them are just sour that their wacky version of Trek didn't get picked over the other fanfic and novel gang.

Every episode of Lower Decks season 2 was gold. Quality Trek exists right now ... it's just animated.

And that in of itself might be a hurdle some hardcore "fans" might have to get over to appreciate not alls chaos and misery with latter-day Trek. I gave up on Discovery, put my enthusiasm into LD. Simples.

But ask any YouTubers, especially those who do editorials and they'll say, the rants and negatively skewed videos always do better than the positive ones. You'll drown under the ocean of videos destroying the Star Wars prequels. Negativity sells, and social media has magnified negative, hostile opinions into our radar whether we want it or not

Ms

ENT was not useless. It was just a bit darker than TOS or TNG but it's still Trek. Voyager had some great episodes and yes some absolutely terrible ones but I'd still take it over Discovery any day.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

One thing that often gets my goat is whenever they reference a show / idea as "Betraying Roddenberry's vision".

FFS, I don't think Trek would have made it out of the 90's if Gene had lived and had his way for the entire TNG run. DS9 would have been a shadow of itself, if it had happened at all.

Detractors of Discovery etc...should stop parroting that particular line. Discovery is only betraying the concept of a fun sci-fi show. It doesn't need to follow the Holy Edicts of the Great Bird for it to be good Trek....it just needs to be Good Trek!

• Advertisement

The correct answer in any Hobson's Choice of Enterprise or Discovery ... is simply, rewatch Battlestar Galactica.

Advertisement