Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

major push on for Dnipro it seems from the South, lots of bombing to soften up the path into that region, RIP

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I don't think he would let go of power that easily given the changes he made to their constitution to allow him stay in power.

Even if he did, I think that sanctions would continue, similar to how sanctions continued against Iraq after the first gulf war, until he is gotten rid of permanently, or if changed with war crimes handed over to the ICC.

If changes are brought I don't see him being handed over by whoever is going to replace him.

Looks like Germany are taking Russia as a long term threat more seriously...

Cannot see anything but Russia being a Pariah state for years to come.

Putin gone. Something done re their nuclear weapons, reparations of some sort for Ukraine minimum requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The problem with this is it can end up like the Treaty of Versailles, reparations, demilitarization, etc, that approach has proven not to work.

Only way long term stable peace is found is if a revolution within Russia occurs with a pro Democracy leader as the outcome and then instance economic support and encouragement from the West. Any further squeeze will have us looking at a Cold War for the remainder of our life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia has never had that part of Western civilizational outlook that leads to democracy.

I suspect it never will.

• Advertisement

The Versailles Treaty is a valid concern. But, who pays for Ukraine's rebuild? Where's the moral hazard for invading another country.

We are in, if not unchartered, then seldom travelled waters - when was the last time a global power occupied a functioning democracy and started bombing cities?

There needs to be a punishment element of SOME sorts.

As for persuading Russia along the democracy route... it's not in their nature. We may as well ask the mafia to become democratic. Germany tried by treating them with respect, but it has bitten them on their gas heated bums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

With all due respect goldenmick, and thanks for your efforts, claiming to speak on behalf of everyone else, but I can stand up for my self. And this is not to be taken as an endorsement of Chinese Whospers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

What a trooper! - standing at the helm of the country and steering us bravely on, through the goodness of his heart

Then again, when it comes to trooping, Ireland is something of a garrison

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Operational command "Pivdenny" about the current operational situation in the relevant areas:

The occupants are trying to improve their position in the Mykolayiv sector, but our troops continue to destroy the enemy, driving the enemy from their positions and taking away their resources.

The airborne missile unit of the Ukrainian Armed Forces shot down a Russian SU-34 bomber that was attempting to attack Mykolayiv.

Total losses of the enemy during that night in the region amounted to 70 orcs and 7 vehicles.

In the Kherson region, the orcs burned down repair workshops for equipment and Polish hospitals."

I get the impression they really want to Mariupolise Odessa but are being held up at Mykolayiv. I'd imagine the Ukrainians have mined offshore of Odessa making an amphibious landing difficult. I certainly saw something saying they had mined the beaches.

I suspect the Ukrainians are actually referring to Russian soldiers as Orcs as that's what the translator I used rendered while sites that have already translated the original used soldiers.

Orcs is very appropriate.

They have lost 19,300 orcs, so far, according to the Ukrainian military, so I doubt they will quite manage 20,000 by the end of today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It didnt require Russian propaganda and given how clumsy and amateur hour their propaganda is I'd be surprised if they had that much influence. During the Cold War Marxism was a lot more popular beyond the Soviet Union and backed by same, yet didn't lead to the both sides/whataboutism we see today.

IMHO the majority of this echo chamber divide in the West is coming almost entirely from within, from our post colonial post WW2 history and focus, the 60's counterculture, with a large side order of human nature massively amplified by the rise of social media and commercial vested interests that want to divide and label people to make more profits. EG Facebook having a couple of dozen genders/sexualities has eff all to do with "progressiveness" and everything to do with getting an ever finer demographic focus for advertisers. "I'm a cisgender Queer two spirit they/them meat eater hillwalker and I buy more crap I don't need from Alibaba than Amazon!". We can sell that...

The "post modernism" stuff that originated in French philosophy and really kicked off in US campuses(as did identity politics as the US tried to come to terms with her stained past in race relations) in the 90's where many of the media content producers of today hailed from added to this nothing is really objectively True nihilism in much of Western thought and much of it went mainstream. A position Russia and the rest of the world outside the West never got on board with. The Islamic world doesn't think like this, the Asian world doesn't, neither does Africa and areas like South America are a mashup of both positions, but mostly the non Western.

Then we had the aftermath of WW2 and The fall of European overseas empires and the bad hangover from that. Nationalism, even national pride started to get short shrift, first in Germany for obvious reasons, but from the 60's onward that spread further to the other ex colonists and as part of the multicultural politic coming out of that colonisation, even in the face of its obvious failures*. Ireland came very late to this party as we hadn't been obvious colonisers, were very traditional and conservative and multiculturalism only came to us in the last 25 years. Russia never came to the party. It was already an empire and one that had grown out of WW2 and even with communism remained true to the past and conservatism in one way and very "modernist" in another. Until that came down with the Wall. Their confidence took a wobble and putin saw at as a calamity and many Russians similarly, but they never really lost their empire and conservatism(and their religion) came back in double quick time.

Outside of the basic human level found in people everywhere of wanting you and yours to be safe and get on in life, there are fundamental differences between the the psyche of the West and that of pretty much everywhere outside of it and that includes Russia. They don't need to prepare the ground among their own people and see ours as weak and indecisive and "decadent"(putin uses that word a lot in his dialogue against the West).

*Russia/ The USSR was and is multicultural but in very different ways to the Western form of the last fifty years. Much more like the multiculturalism of the Caliphate or Rome. IE you can be different ethnically/racially and that's fine, but you are Russian/Soviet first. You have to speak Russian in officialdom and business, are ruled from Moscow, have to follow our laws, mores and interests and there is a pecking order and any criticism and resistance to these rules and you're in trouble.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Some western analysts suspect the Ukrainian figure of 19,000 Putin regime deaths might even be an 'underestimation' and that it could be well into the 20,000s at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

Russian Orcs took 'lethal substances' from Chernobyl (Sky News)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

the tank battle for the Donbas will be as big as the biggest tank battle of WW2 which was just across the Russian a small distance border in Kursk, the parallels are frightening, Nazis v Commies?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wikipedia has a good detailed map showing who controls what towns and cities, and which ones are currently being contested.

This other map doesn't show the towns and cities as granularly, but does have updates on the latest happenings around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Is there any realistic prospect of the Ukrainians retaking Kherson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

No shortage of evidence here, and I don't think the guardian can be accused of being a Kremlin outlet paid to discredit Zelensky.

Before the inevitable accusations come, let me repeat I am not trying to smear Zelensky. I think he has been fantastic these last few weeks, in the context of this war I couldn't care less if he's a bit corrupt. Just saying that corruption seems to go deep and wide in Ukrainian society. But hey, Italy probably isn't much better and it hasn't stopped it being part of the EU....

I would have thought that what the Ukrainians will be aiming to do for now is see if they can hold the current line of control against what intelligence appears to be saying is a prepared onslaught by the Russians on two more concentrated fronts. So, in the short term? No, I don't think there is much chance of retaking Kherson.

Right now, my concern isn't even so much Ukrainians retaking Kherson as it is over the fate of those living in occupied Kherson. The stories about residents being bussed out to god-knows-where are chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Russia has always been a ridiculously centralised political state. The provinces are not trusted, and either loyalist governer-general types from the centre or bought local strongmen are installed to stick to Moscow script.

That's been the way since Ivan Grozny and that paranoid imperial impulse persists even to this day.

Even in the Russian Federal Far East District, whose cities are closer to Tokyo than even Irkutsk - and have resources and potential coming out their backside, can't take advantage of it because Moscow is paranoid of local political chiefs falling into the orbit of Beijing, Tokyo or Seoul. So the place just lives with the dead hand of Moscow an 8 hour flight away suffocating it's potential by strangling any true federalism.

Yes, the people living under occupation are in an Orwellian nightmare. I try to remain optimistic about Ukrainian prospects but worry that I'm not being realistic. I wish they were more able to carry out their own offensives rather than all the initiative being on the Russian side.

• Advertisement

• Why Ukraine didnt blow up the Kherson bridges when they were retreating at the beginning of the war was a big tactical mistake. Possibly Kherson and to the west of it would be safe now if they did this. Just shows how important it is to have key infrastucture like bridges mined in advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@[Deleted User] and @goldenmick drop it or you will both be removed from the thread. Discuss the Russia-Ukraine war not each other, simple as that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Let's face it corruption runs with politics the way the dogs run with the hunt. Our own long list of grifters should tell us that. Never mind how many got away with it, were even quietly lauded for it. Our minister for defence got elected on the back of his father's name after same took the tragic way out after money was found to be "resting in his account". That's before we consider Haughey and Ahern and a long list behind them all the way back to the foundation of this state. Yesterday we had Boris Johnson walking the streets of Kyiv for the optics to distract his voters from his and his parties fúckups like Brexit, even though him and his party have been taking Russian dirty money for decades, even enobling members of the Russian olicarchy class, while cleaning their ill gotten cash through London banks and taking their sweet time to sanction them and dragging their heels with visas for Ukrianian refugees. But they gave them guns so that washes that away. Zelensky's no fool and he knows all this too, but he has to work to practicalities.

Do I think Zelensky is squeaky clean? Nope. It's almost inevitable he's not to get to where he is in where he lives. Before all this kicked off it was seen that Ukraine was the second most corrupt nation in Europe after Russia and that's a high bar. Zelensky's dealings with Ukrainain media outlets have been questionable too. However and it's a big however, he's significantly cleaner than his Russian puppet predecessors. Since Maidan there has been a drive on many fronts against business and government corruption and it was making headway. It'll make more in the aftermath of this.

Corruption in Ukraine is not unlike nazism in Ukraine. Go back ten years or more and it was horribly corrupt, a mini me Russia run and raped by an olicarch class and had a lot more actual hard right facists in play and in power. If Russia had invaded Ukraine in 2007 they would have had something of a leg to stand on(it would still be perverse and ironic) as far as claims of "denazifying" the place" go. In 2022 they really don't. The difference back then is that the rulers were putin's nazis and our nazis are fine when it suits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Though I'd love to see this, my fear at the minute is Ukraine are being limited at their offensive options by the majority defensive weaponry they are receiving. The western powers need to be more ambitious with their weapon deliveries.

We have seen that the Russians do not have the capacity to fight against threats on multiple axis. They mustn't be allowed to regroup and stay fresh. No its the time to give Ukraine the weapons it needs to crush the russian forces.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

That's my fear too. I feel it would be easier for the Ukrainians to face the Russians in the east if they held the bridges on the Dnieper so they didn't also have to worry about the Russians attacking towards mikolaiv and Odessa or even towards Dnipro from the south.

whatever way you look at the battle for Donbas it looks like a Russian victory in the long run, the question is how far into Ukraine will the Russians push afterwards

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Russia's biggest imports are Broadcasting Equipment, 8 billion, which they use to well to brain wash. Of course its probably china that supplies this type of equipment,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The West I'm sure has the means to hijack Russian Broadcasts, and to begin transmitting on the same frequency so it's beamed into millions of homes in Russia. Tell the brainwashed zombies the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

This guy has good maps he updates daily and quite good anaylisis also he an ex us army vet can be intersting

https://youtu.be/7nLMSCY5txQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

To be slightly pedantic it's actually their third biggest import at $7.15B broken down as China ($4.63B), Vietnam ($1.14B), India ($235M), Sweden ($186M), and Netherlands ($178M).

Their two biggest imports are cars and car parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement