Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Dog In Training" Not Allowed Into Tesco

• 10-04-2022 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭vixdname

Hey all,

just wanting opinions on an incident I witnessed earlier this week.

As i was walking around Tesco here in Waterford, a girl passed by with a golden lab which had a high viz vest type thing on its back.

I didnt read what it said but I was surprised to see a customer walking through the store with a dog.

After about 10 mins, as I was walking out after paying, here was the girl and her dog having an argument and making a big scene with a member of Tesco staff with her saying loudly that it was disgusting that her "dog in training" wasn't allowed into the store. etc etc

The staff member was only doing as she was told by up holding store rules whether those rules were right or wrong, and the girl with the dog I presume was only bringing the dog around to get it used to different social situations it may find itself in.

Was the store wrong to tell her to leave ?

Was the dog trainer wrong to make a scene against the staff member ?

Would you have an issue with a dog in around the supermarket whether it was a training dog or not ?

Should store rules apply, no matter what ?

Interested in yere opinions.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was it a dog from a recognized training organisation like Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind, or Dogs for the Disabled? I've noticed a few dogs around here lately with hi viz vests with texts like "Dog in training" or such like on them that almost looks hand written, so maybe it was something like that. I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise every man and their dog (!) would be at it as an excuse to take their dog into shops with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From what I know must supermarkets are fine with Guide dogs or dogs in training.

In my opinion in this situation they are two possible reasons why this happened.

1) The dog wasn't in training and the woman could be known for it.

2) A staff member on a power trip or they were a tad slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭vixdname

It just said "Dog in training", and didnt look "official" if you know what I mean, but would someone just chance their arm with a vest like that just to get their dog into the shop with them ?

I have to say, the girl who had the dog was a bit of a "Hippy" type so perhaps she just wanted fido along with for the fun of it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are also lots of people setting themselves up as trainers for various types of assistance dogs with little if any formal training these days, so that could be it too. I know someone who was a puppy trainer for Dogs for the Disabled, and they had no such issues AFAIK, but probably had a proper "official" looking vest for them rather than a home-made one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The organisations contact stores for clearance to take the dogs in. This sounds like an lesser or unofficial group and not cleared by Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Is it possible she has a reputation and the vest is fake? Even if she wasn’t with a proper dog training programme, I really don’t see what the shop has to gain from creating a scene.

Would you have an issue with a dog in around the supermarket whether it was a training dog or not ?

If it was an assistance dog, or dog training to be an assistance dog, then no issue, whatsoever.

If it was just someone bringing their dog along with them while they grab a litre of milk, then the dog should be left outside or at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Supermarkets are subjected to "mystery" health inspections. It would be more of a headache for them to fail that, than from creating a scene.

Plus it only takes one customer taking a picture and emailing the food safety authority. Etc.

If that was a legitimate trainer no scene would have been caused. They would have taken the pup and went on their way and followed up with Tesco head office.

Edit: I read your post arseways but anyway moving along ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The appropriate thing to do would be to contact the store managers in advance...get formal written permission. That way staff including security would have been aware. Any problems she could have just taken out the email…

sticking a hi-vis on a dog isn’t grounds for it to be allowed wander around a supermarket with a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd have no problem with a dog in training entering the shop because they have to get the experience somewhere.

It's bad practice to have scenes with customers in any retail setting.

It's much better to carry out any interactions in the office away from other customers.

Having said that it's hard to be sure who was wrong in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Very sensible postings here .Not the usual hysteria/soapboxers.Food Safety laws state that animals are not allowed where fresh food is available i.e. a deli counter,vegetables,fruit.Guide dogs would be exempt from this.The correct approach is to advise store management in advance of a visit,if for training-not a difficult thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This chancerism is slowly creeping in here too, widespread in US where people bring their pet dog 'comfort' dogs with them on flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Those high viz vests are useless. I got one, and couldn't train the fecker to bark, let alone lead a blind person around a supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

^ Just in case you weren’t aware (due to visual impairment) that is a cat, not a dog.

All dogs should be allowed in all stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Dogs better behaved in stores than some people. I just carry mine in my arms and buy whatever I need. No one has ever said anything, only positive comments to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Good for you. I wouldn't say anything to you either but I'd also stop using that shop, after telling the manager why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The rules are there because of the growing number of terrible people who feel entitled to own a dog and to shove their dog in everyone's face, fail to clean up their dog sh1t after them etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭apache

Used to only hear of emotional support animals in The States. It is creeping in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Why do you think the rule of no dogs doesn't apply to you and your pooch?

I'm seriously sick of this level of entitlement from dog owners.

The funny thing is if I saw you in a shop I'd put you in the category of human that's less behaved than a dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Uncomfortable for him. Put him in a basket or a trolley.

Well to clarify, I would leave him at home if I'm doing a Supermarket shop, but would pick him up and carry him in if I was stuck for something. Last week for example, we were out for a walk and I was dying with thirst, so picked him up, legged it into the shop and grabbed a bottle of water. No harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

Most likely a chancer.

Suppose it is the same as parents. Some terrible dog owners, some terrible parents.

I also hate people failing to clean up after their dogs. Its part of pet ownership.

You're not training him as a Ukrainian bomb sniffer dog, by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The person on the till was oohing and ahhing at him and the girl behind in the queue was petting him, so he was happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have brought my dogs into the local londis store not Tesco or Dunnes do or the two big German retailers either. It was just handy I was out walking them and got whatever I was getting in that store that day too not that there is much I can get or would buy in Londis these days.

Anyway not often I do that just the very odd time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You would think, but I've lost count of the number of dog turds on the street and scenic walks, both bagged and unbagged variety.

Yep, it is a big issue in all areas. Our Estate is destroyed here with it, and it has to be residents as its a cul de sac and you dont see ramdom people coming in to walk their dogs.

Advertisement