Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

At least Jimmy Savile raised some money for children's hospitals to try and put something in the 'good' side of the ledger for when he died. Putin, on the other hand, is bombing the fecking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ironically, such a demonstration would be banned in their own dictatorship (!) All protests are banned in Russia, even those 'in favour' of the Putin regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This would be my concern that Russia is going to force Ukraine to fight in unfavorable territory. Even the Ukrainians are talking about the biggest tank battle. Surely this plays into the hands of Russia especially when we see the Ukrainians in defensive trenches?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Maybe I'm wrong here,

But some posters seem to be forgetting some very simple facts.

1) Russian invaded a neutral, free and sovereign nation.

2) Russia is bombing cities and targeting civilians.

3) Russia fired on a nuclear plant.

4) Russia is committing war crimes.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

tank battle for Kursk during WW2 was a similar scenario on a smaller scale and the inferior side came out on top

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Polar101

It could be bad if Russia is able to achieve air superiority in the east. So far they've not been very good at doing that, but I don't know how long the Ukrainian supplies last (and they never had too many air defence systems). Russia won't run out of artillery shells any time soon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

Do Russia have any real tank forces? Or is it just more rusting relics with poorly trained, demotivated amateurs operating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Today I learnt Ф-Ю means Phuck You in Russian.

Twitter can be useful at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wonder are the helicopter boys who hit belgorod up for another spin

Ukraine is just a product of being part of russias spehere of influence and corruption comes with it

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That's too simplistic of a way to look at things. Even a poorly equipped army can achieve some pretty spectacular successes if they have the right leadership with respects to logistics & organisation, tactics and human/morale issues. Even an old T-72 can deliver a whole lot of pain to its target if operated properly and under the command of a good platoon/company commander. This type of leadership is something that has been painfully absent on the Russian side, leading to the current rather unflattering picture we're getting of their army. Whilst Ukrainian doctrine since 2014 has emphasised independent tactical thinking even at the platoon and company level, especially in absence of any direct orders from HQ, the Russian army is far more hierarchical in its approach and initiative is frowned upon, if not actively encouraged. Let's use an example.

Let's say that a tank company, supported by mechanised infantry, is supposed to proceed along an axis of attack "A" to take and secure a strategically important target "X". The nature of that target is irrelevant for the time being. On their way there, reconnaissance elements find that "A" is blocked by a strong defensive position "B" at a critical chokepoint.

Generally, a Ukrainian, or western-trained, commander, would use his reconnaissance elements, together with part of its mechanised infantry support, to scout out the terrain to the left and right of "B" for any weak spots and if possible take it out with a flanking attack, the infantry hitting "B" from the flanks or behind, whilst the tanks use the distraction provided by this attack to engage "B" head on and catch the position in a pincer move, clearing the position and moving on to "X".

From my knowledge, a Russian commander would simply go for a frontal assault, using the tanks to provide covering fire for the advancing infantry as they storm "B", despite the fact that this might incur significant losses amongst the soldiers and their APCs, IFVs or whatever they're using as transport. Any type of lateral thinking does not seem to take place.

If I'm completely honest, the demotivation you describe is a symptom rather than a problem on its own. And given that the root causes for this, and many other symptoms, are systemic, I doubt that Russia will be able to overcome them anytime soon, especially given that the current political and social climate in Russia doesn't exactly encourage the type of open dialogue that would be needed.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

At Kursk the Germans were outnumbered heavily in everything - infantry, tanks, air support. Despite being the attacking force against heavily defended defense in depth, at a numerical disadvantage, they destroyed a lot more than they lost, despite ultimately losing.

It was an insanely stupid battle because Hitler was obsessed with decisive victories, the leadership were against it and instead preferred a longer-term approach they could actually win, which is exactly what Ukraine will do (and is doing in general).

Let the enemy batter and destroy himself throwing units at a tight, intelligently defended belt. Some generals tried to argue this and were over-ruled by Hitler. The inferior side didn't win at Kursk. The inferior side was Germany from the start despite being the attacking force.

For Ukraine, as the inferior force, to replicate Kursk they would have to committ to a full scale frontal offensive against Russian forces. It would be insanity and a colossal waste of resources/initiative, just like it was back in 1943.

They can win by taking the common sense approach Hitler did not.

Inferior ? Russia had far more tanks & just kept pouring them into the battle. Ukraine can't do that.

Javelins are of limited use against a tank charge. Their positions may be overrun. I would of thought that they need the US Switchblade system asap.

The one good thing is they will have excellent intelligence unless it's cloudy. A pitched battle is the opposite of the tactics that have worked so well for Ukraine.

Give them 15 years in prison so they feel like home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

Could be a chance for a massive strategic win for the west. From what we have seen up to now Ukraine could eliminate vast amounts of Russian equipment. It may not win them the war in the short term but could be the final nail in the coffin of Russian military threat to Europe for the next couple of decades at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

One or two reports coming out from unofficial sources that the Ukraine ministry of defence released information that a eight mile long military Convoy is about to reach the Ukraine border from Russia.

The reports say the Convoy was cought on satellite surveillance images.

I can't find anything official to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A neutral, free and sovereign nation?

Sovereign, yes.

Free, depends. More so than Russia politically but Ukraine is just as corrupt a country as Russia is. Make no mistake about that.

Neutral? No. They have been trying to join NATO and the EU since the first Russian invasion after the Maidan coup. They never pretended to be neutral.

The country was closer to neutral before the government was overthrown in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Javelins are useless against a tank charge...

That's exactly what they do well. And tank charge ? The Russians can probably put ten tanks into a tank charge. Easily taken out by a small team with antitank equipment.

Reading an article this morning on how 3 Russian lieutenants were killed in the same tank. Yes they had 3 commanders manning the one tank. That's how bad it's got. They've decimated their trained tankers and their good tanks .

The next lot will be easier again to defend against.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not really. The massively superior in numbers side came out on top. The Soviets had triple the number of men, double the number of tanks, five times the numbers of mortars and artillery. Even then the Soviets lost more men and materiel than the Germans did. If the numbers had been anyway equal the Germans would almost certainly have won. Numbers in a battle bring their own kind of superiority.

That's the main problem the Ukrainians face. They've proven themselves more than a match for Russian forces in defence and in small scale attacks too, but there's simply more Russian tanks, guns, aircraft and men and being close to the Russian border and railways in the East they can keep pumping them into the meat grinder that is the east and south of Ukraine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I disagree but I hope you are right. The Russians will have short supply lines & a lot of tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, but those superior numbers have already taken an absolute battering. An American general was on CNN last night pointing out "this is not a video game". You don't take a hammering, move a few forces around, regroup and you're good to go again. The Russian army is in very bad shape and morale is low. All of the momentum is with the Ukrainians, not with the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

A question that came up this weekend, 'Are there no russian martyrs?' Hitler had multiple attempts on his life. Even apartheid South Africa had an assassination attempt on one of its leaders from within their own ranks. In other words is there no good russian who would sacrifice themselves for the greater good? All the russians I have spoken to recently (less than 10, admittedly ) try to paint themselves as a victim to the effect if they were to protest, they could never return to russia, which is a bit of an insult considering that the only victim here is Ukraine and it's people. Are the russians who have fled Putin's regime to seek sanctuary outside merely cowards?

We were talking about Russia's sheer numbers in the opening days of the invasion as well. Wasn't Groundhog day a couple of months ago? - "Russia have 200,000 troops massed near the border. Ukraine can fight the good fight, but there's no way they can hold out against such overwhelming numbers. Kyiv to fall by Monday. OK, the end of this week. Oh, sh*t, did you see the length of that convoy? It's gotten even longer, now. Russia to encircle Kyiv, then it's game over. Yep, any day now. Aaaaand the Russians have fecked off."

Womp, womp, womp.

For the record, I have absolutely no clue what will happen in the east of Ukraine and make no predictions about it. All I can say is that having taken confident assertions at face value about what the Russians would be able to do this time last month, I'm now content to just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theyve had these things since the start. It did nothing for them.

If anything they have less of all of their previous advantages. And supply lines.... They're bringing in stuff from the east in Russia now. I think the supply line shortness is infact over dressed.

Can't but laugh at that kind of ****. Hope they died screaming as well.

This is a bit of a thesis I've been considering for the last few years and my fear for the West. The fall of communism in Russia had economic aspects but one of the main things was the lack of hope. When ambition is rooted out, anyone who tries to achieve anything is a traitor, when your lot is never meant to get better, hope is gone. Hope is more powerful than religion, but under communism they even tried to stamp that out. The history of Russia has to be viewed through their lens. A cynical, fatalistic lens. While they played a huge part in WWII it was just numbers. Without all the free western equipment they were fucked. Even when winning they just launched men into the meat-grinder. And they think it's the same everywhere else. It's 2022 and they're just throwing soldiers out there for the slaughter in a completely needless war that they can stop any time.

It's something I've been thinking about for years (the tragic self-destruction of a culture that created so much) and it's part of the answer as to why no-one will step up. Part of it is justified fear of course. Part is complete paranoia. But in the end most of them will just think "What's the point? Nothing's ever going to change.".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Translation..

Russia has assembled at least 32 Su-27 fighters, as well as several IL-76 and other aircraft at the military airfield in Voronezh, as evidenced by satellite photos of Planet Labs from April 9

This comes up as the same airbase ' Voronezh malshevo on Google earth dated May 2021

• Advertisement

A thundercunt I have on Facebook just posted a video of a South African saying that they voted against sanctions because other countries voted against sanctions on Israel. Which makes no logical sense to begin with. Anyway she just said "perspective" because she obviously doesn't want to actually commit to a ludicrous position. So I'm just replying with some of the more shocking photos I can find. Ya know, try and show her another perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement