Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In games lile today we need a ykinger Gini someone who is tireless and can also carry the ball wgen needed,

Thiago and Fab are unbelievable footballers but when u don't have the ball more the opposition there lack of legs can hurt us, although i do realise we don't come up against sode like that often,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I just think back to 20 years ago, and the fabled Utd/Arsenal rivalry.... would either of those sides going away to the other and getting a point be considered a bad result? Not on your life. It's unfair to deem tonight a bad result for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yup nothing wrong with a point at city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It is. The stellar title winning team of 1989-90 lost 5 times yet still won the league at a canter by 9 points.

3 seasons ago we lost one game and didn't win the title. This season we've lost only twice and are favourites to only come 2nd. These are the realities of dealing with Man City and their endless pit of money in 2022....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He was very good second half. Could have had two more excellent assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Good result given how we played that first half. Needing them to slip up is never ideal but we'll see. Just take care of our own business.

Of all the places not to do the basics well, the few times we did keep calm and control the ball we scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

His position has changed a bit since he's returned from AFCON. Seems to be starting deeper and wider than October to December time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Comparing these 2 teams to teams from 20 years ago is insane really. It like they are playing a different sport. The pace, skill, intensity, drive, tactical acumen of these two teams is waaaaay head of anything I've seen before, and I've watched a lot of mainly English soccer since the early 80s.

I dislike this City team, in fact I dispise some of the characters involved, not to mention how they are financed, , but one has to admire in some way what they are doing in terms of performance levels.

Just a question on Salah, and to a lesser extent Mane. How is Ramadan effecting them? Do they fast in daylight hours, or can they exempt themselves? Just wondering if Mo's seeming lower energy levels over the last couple of weeks related to him fasting or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

One thing from this weekend Man Utd can't catch Liverpool, so much for the table being turned as Rio said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's amazing. According to our fanbase...

Trent was bad defensively.

VVD was nervous.

Fabinho was worse than he's ever been.

Thiago was passing us into trouble.

Mane useless bar the goal.

Salah is still in a rut.

KDB was mesmerising.

Silva dominated.

Cancelo was sensational.

Yet we've drawn 2-2. I think we played a little better than we all think.

I thought it was stressful. I don't think we were fluent. But our flurries of good play were devastating.

City edged it, but bar the last 15 minutes, we were just as dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really think we will take them Saturday. We will surely have a cushier game mid week than them and won't be as bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The keeper back 4 and Fab where absolutely horrendous in the first half,

From minute 1 VVD looked a bag of nerves and it seemed to spread,It was so unlike VVD he booted one into the stands and couple of headers where he had plenty of time headed the straigh into a packed midfield

Even Allison kicks where shocking, City put us inder pressure but even when they didnt the back 6 where all over the shop,

Thankful what ever was said at half time really lifted them or possibly the quick fore goal just help spread confidence,

Decent results but cant help thinking of we had of been anywhere near our normal levels in the first half we could have won

Our midfield 3 is great for 90% of games but against City and Chelsea you can see we lack legs somethings that needs to be addressed this summer, its one noticeable weakness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think we can press as relentlessly as we once did. It's not really a problem against the vast majority of teams but it is against City. When we got results against City before it was usually because we pressed them crazy hard in defence and midfield and made them cough up possession and feasted on their mistakes. Salah and Mane are a bit older now and Hendo's legs are not what they were. Thiago is not that quick across the ground either. We probably need some younger legs in midfield. We just couldn't get close enough to City today. They had time to turn and get their heads up and slide passes in behind us. Or switch the ball wide to their full-backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I've full faith that Klopp and the back room staff can find a replacement midfielder in the summer. We're not looking for the x factor midfielder that can score from 25 yards out or place that killer pass. We need someone tactically astute which a engine for pressing who can cut off passing channels from the opposition. Also needs to be strong and powerful. The likes of Keita are skillful but can't stamp authority on a game like today.

''If the ball is in the wrong place, the kick is retaken. A player who takes a free kick from the wrong position in order to force a retake, or who excessively delays the restart of play, is cautioned.''

''No quick free kick allowed, if the referee is talking to a player''

For the first goal, the ball was nowhere near the right place,AND IT WAS MOVING, and Henderson and Fab were both in discussion about the freekick with Ref, plus he never blew whistle for the taking of it.

Rules are rules, the first goal was BS !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Lads I think some of us are looking at this through rose tinted glasses if we're thinking city just "edged" it. Let's be honest they should have been at least 3-1 up at half time if not 4. Our full backs were destroyed and it was only in the second half we came into the game at all in my opinion. Even with that Mahrez should have won it at the death for them.

I can't make up my mind on jota he's clearly a great goalscorer but I don't know if the team as a whole functions as well when he plays. That sounds odd I know.

Delighted with the result particularly with how the game went and it does keep the dream alive but i really can't see us catching city. Between the two teams we're more likely to drop points combined with the harder run in. I hope I'm wrong but i see this being another 1 point title win for them.

We'll just have to take the champions League as a consolation prize 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't understand why people have no hope city will drop points again.

How else did we close a 14 point gap?

Id rather be in City's position but far from over. I'm more concerned about our own games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

In fairness there was games in hand in play too on the 14 points. I don't think it's impossible city will drop points I just think we're more likely too. I really hope I'm wrong

Yep, they dropped 7pts in last 7 games, how many in next 7. ...

not over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hard to see City dropping points out of these fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

100 people can watch that game and give different opinions about which team edged it. Mine is that we let them off the hook today. We had the batins of em. And we gave it all back to them with moments of softness in possession. Silly flighted hospital passes in midfield. Snatched shots when a feint would do. If we don't win the league, we bottled it today. And I don't say that lightly, never slag the team off but that's my take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Not sure the ball was moving when the city player took the free kick or that it was that far from the location of the foul to merit being re-taken but the rule about the free kick not being taken if the ref is talking to a player isn't the same thing as the free kick not being able to be taken if players are moaning to the ref about the free kick, if that was the case free kicks could take 10 minutes to take!!

Also, the ref doesn't have to whistle for an indirect free kick to be taken unless he first of all indicates that he wants the free taker to wait for a whistle whilst he deals with something and the ref didn't make any such indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

City's 3 hardest games left might be their last 3 but all against sides that could well be on the beach mentally by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

City just edged it ? I can’t remember a game where we were so utterly dominated in the first half. We were so jittery and couldn’t deal with City’s press. Jesus goal sums summed up Trent for me - one of our best assets and one of worst liabilities. Barring a period in 2nd half where we had them briefly on the ropes I thought city finished a lot stronger with sterling VAR just offside and Mahrez chances and we were no where deserving of the 3 points. So many misplaced passes and the long ball diagonal caught our high line time and again.

A point a city is good result in isolation but we now no longer have league in our own hands with a much harder run in. Was relived initially after game was over with a point but seeing those city fixtures it’s hard to not feel like we’ll need a major upset to actually win the league . Everton and United will do everything in their power to stop us winning so form goes out the window and Son and Kane will fancy our line so we’ll do incredibly well to get 9/9 alone from those 3 games. We really need salahs goals more than ever now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah City were all over us. That unfortunately was a point gained for usm

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our losses this season are not the problem. City have lost more games than us this season but are still ahead. Draws are what have hurt us.

If you look at our games against the top 7 this season against City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, United and West Ham our win rate is 40%. We've played 10 and won 4. We've only lost 1, so 50% of our big games so far have been draws.

City have played 11 games against the top 7 and won 7 of them. Lost to spurs both times and drew with us twice. Everyone else they've beaten, and they have 1 game v West Ham outstanding.

I get it, City are a great team, lots of money etc, but this is not why we're 2nd. We're 2nd cause we've struggled to pick up wins against the other top teams, even if you ignore City.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also to add I don't think it's over yet, but to win it we'll need a perfect end to the season and have to win 7/7 and hope City slip up.

If we drop any points at any stage it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks like Leeds, West Ham, and Wolves - all away - are our best bets for City dropping points. They're really the only remaining teams with threats on the counter that could cause problems breaking in behind. Villa to an extent too, but that one at the Etihad on the last day, and their lack of a DM, makes it tough - would rather not be holding out for a reprieve there. If I were to single out one, it would probably be Wolves though, their defence is very solid, and they've a decent record against good teams that go at them - City were lucky to get away with a win against them at the Etihad earlier this year, needing a pen to score, even with Wolves a man down.

(I'd never have picked Leeds under Bielsa, but Marsh has already made them much stronger defensively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

All out for the Champions League I would think.

Our run in is so much harder and there are a lot more teams who will be out to take points off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Surprisingly it is our squad strength that may win it for us if we do win it. We can rest the midfield again this Wednesday, maybe Fabinho plays 60 but you expect Keita to start along with one other among Ox, Milner, Jones and Elliott. Then we go again the weekend against City. City will need to be on it to beat Atletico and then again against us on Saturday, then again the week after to keep their lead.

But we have to keep winning, which is not as easy as it sounds. We just have to take it one game at a time. Next up Benfica on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

We'll get at least one game where a team will be looking at taking a draw off City... then we'll either be heart broken in the last 10 minutes or lose our ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Gerrard and Coutinho could win Liverpool a league on the final day 😉

I think we lost the league away to Brentford & at home to Brighton , 4 massive points dropped from great positions you'd have fully expected us to take advantage off ,

We'd be 3 clear with at 7 more on the goal difference front so could afford a defeat ,

I'm worried about Spurs at home but we have to get that far first ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Can't see us going 7/7 to be honest.

• Advertisement

All doom and gloom in here this morning just enjoy the journey folks and see what happens in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

First half bad

Second half good

I'd love to know the reasons behind playing Henderson as a 10 in the first half. He was pressing so high, fair enough, but he stayed high in possession too. And central, it wasn't even in the RM role that he & Elliott had earlier in the season. It didn't work out, and he was bypassed in midfield in the first half. I'd just like to know why they chose to go that route, ie they thought that they would get space there etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was watching a youtube video with Newcastle, Chelsea, Utd, City and Liverpool fans and the neutrals were horrified that City we're allowing Liverpool to win the league. We really are public enemy #1 thank goodness for oil money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know. That's the fun in supporting Liverpool. Just when you think they're out , they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I really do think it could be our midfield that lets us down in the big games, We have numbers but not quality ,

Milner, Ox, Jones ,Elliott for different reason aren't really good enough for big games,

Broken record i know but if we had Gini or a like for like replacement we'd be way better off ,

Yesterday showed once again one weakness for us is pace ,

Now we are so good only a tiny % of teams in Europe can exploit it but the issue is certainly there,

The lack of pace between Matip, Trent, Thaigo & Fab is a problem in the massive games against other elite sides., even more away or on neutral grounds,

In a perfect world Gomez Or Konate will eventually take over form Joel (who is brilliant & doesn't help him Trent is to his right who also lacks pace) & hopefully we can get somebody with legs to step in for Thiago in certain games its needed,

Gini is gone he wanted the money, and didn't like the twitter trolls, let him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Wolves is the main one for me but obviously we have to play them too, albeit at home.

For West ham alot depends on their circumstances, they might be in a Europa League final the midweek after that City game and if so their full focus will be on that so assume they'll be rotating a lot. They want qualify for it again though so they need to keep playing in the league, especially if they don't get to the final.

Leeds maybe under Marsch, certainly tougher than under Bielsa.

Villa sadly I hold no hope for, they've been pretty poor in the big games since Stevie came in and realistically if City have got that far without dropping points I don't see them messing up at the final hurdle.

We just need to win our own games and see where it takes us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was city's best, that was nowhere near our best and we got a draw, that is what was so disappointing, we are SO much better than that. Fabinho who is generally a rock was the worst player on the pitch, Henderson and Robertson way below par too. They are beatable, we scored from our couple chances we created.

I have to say wow, what a player KDB is, he was all over us.

Ye and that all fine just that type of midfielder

• Advertisement
Advertisement