Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Giotto3

I think you're right that it's anyone's guess as to the difference between the processing stages. I can't work out why documents wouldn't actually be verified until stage 4 when stage 3 is described as "we are verifying your documents."

• Registered Users Posts: 16 House of love

That would be logical yes😀 but unfortunately that's not the case, there's been cases where ppl have been asked to submit something on the day their passport was supposed to be issued.

Well, my application moved to stage 4 on Wednesday and my husband's has moved to stage 4 today......but I can see now that that, in itself, is not a cause for celebration or assumption that all is well!🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bindyboo

Hey everyone, in a bit of a panic here. I sent in my daughters FTA, and assumed it would be back on time for our holiday but the date now says the 24th May, we are flying on the 15th 😭 has anyone any experience of FTAs arriving before time. Is there anything that can be done. I've called them today and they basically said it's up to me if I want to cancel my flights....would going into the passport office help? It is the last week I can travel due to pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fairin

Our estimated date was 13 April and we’re still waiting for it to be sent to print. They’ve had our documents 9 weeks. Others seem to have had better luck. Our son’s application has been selected for a spot check and has just been left sitting there for a week.🤯

Good luck🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MarH88

Hi Bindyboo,

I thought I’d share my story with you. Don’t lose hope just yet. See our timeline below (first time child online application, both Irish born parents):

Today 

10/04/2022Dispatched

Your Passport Book was posted on 10/04/2022

Track your passport directly using your An Post reference code: 

Today 

10/04/2022Printing

Your Passport Book is being printed. Any\all documents submitted will be returned separately

1 week 5 days ago 

29/03/2022Processing application

Your application is being processed

1 month 5 days ago 

06/03/2022Processing application

We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

1 month 1 week 5 days ago 

27/02/2022Alert

We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

The total lack of consistency is what is extremely frustrating. You applied almost a month later than we did. We were also an online application, Irish born child to Irish born parents. Nothing had to be resubmitted.

It finally got sent to print today so hopefully we’ll have it soon. Tho I see some people got stuck in the printing stage for a while. So amazingly more torture could be a possibility.

Hope you have a lovely holiday and Bindyboo I very much hope you get sorted too

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Hi MarH88

What was your estimated issue date?

We applied shortly after you so hopefully we will get as quick a turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Does the progress bar on the tracker actually mean anything? Mine is moving (slowly) daily but no change to the actual status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MarH88

Our due date was 21st April, so 10 days ahead of time so to speak. I really think it depends whose lap the application falls into unfortunately. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement

I have no idea. My husband's and my applications went in online on 9th March. The tracker moved to Alert: you need to send in your documents on 10th March. On the 18th of March it moved to stage 3, called "Processing Application: we have received and are verifying your documents" and then on last Wednesday, I think it was, the 6th April it moved to stage 4, also called "Processing Application:Your application is being processed."

The progress bar has been moving steadily but, to be honest, I think it's an automatic computer programme which moves along according to what date they have set as the estimated issue date - which in our case is the 4th of May. I read on here the other day where someone's application got to stage 4 and then they got an email asking them for some documentary proof as they weren't satisfied with the proof the applicant had sent in with all their other documents. Also, someone said their's had got to stage 4 but they knew that their referee - the person who verified their application - hadn't yet been contacted. In my naivety, I had assumed that that kind of thing would've been done at Stage 3, where the description of stage 3 would lead you to believe they'd be doing all the checks/verifying of the documents. I imagined that stage 4 would be them putting the relevant data onto their computer programme ready for the printing stage. But now I think none of it means much until such time as you actually get a message saying your printed passport has been dispatched.

One thing I have learned from reading these boards, and the dfa passport twitter page, is never to send off an existing passport as proof of identity as they'll likely keep it for months. Once it's in their system there seems to be no way of getting it back. We got a solicitor to make certified copies of our passports/driving licence to send off as we didn't want to be without the actual documents for dear knows how long. Hopefully they will accept the certified copies.

I'll come back on here once we actually receive the passports!

Yeah it's very much the case it seems but the positive turnarounds like yours are keeping me hopeful 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

We applied for a first passport for our 3 year old in February with a due date of April 21st. Thought everything was going swimmingly until my partner received an email today saying that we need to send in an original long form birth certificate. When we sent off all the documents we sent the A4 size birth cert that we got from the births and records place here in Drogheda and paid the €20 fee for. Is this not the new version of the old style long form certs?

My partner rang the passport office but whoever she was talking to was adamant the cert sent in is wrong but the records office say differently and that the long form hasn't been around for a few years now. Anyone have any similar issues or a suggestion for were we may have gone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

I don't have expertise in this matter, so please wait for a reply from someone else, but as far as I know, what you were told by the Civil Registration Office is correct, and the person from the Passport Office is mistaken. If you got a Birth Certificate for someone as young as your child is, then that is the correct certificate and is the only type available nowadays.

Is it possible that you may have inadvertently sent a photocopy rather than the original Birth Certificate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

It was definitely the original that was posted off.

I can't explain it so. It would have been impossible for you to get a "short form" birth certificate for a three year old child.

A short form birth cert would have just given the name and surname, sex, date of birth, and place of birth.

A long form birth cert gives all those details plus the parents names, and their addresses and occupations. If these details are on yours then it should be acceptable.

In my earlier post, I said that there is only one type of birth cert available nowadays:- there is no choice of short or long form versions. However there is actually another type available, called "Research Facility Birth Record". This is not considered to be a valid birth certificate as it doesn't have the official registrar's details. It is only suitable for personal use/ family history research, and it is cheaper than a birth cert, maybe around €5.

But since you paid €20, then yours must be an official Birth Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michasmyth

i applied for my daughters first Irish passport on 14 January. All my tracker has is this:

11/04/2022Processing application

Your application is being processed

2 months 3 weeks 6 days ago 

14/01/2022Alert

We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

everyone else seems to have a couple more stages such as ‘we have received your documents’ and ‘we are verifying your documents’. Is anyone else similar to me where is went straight to ‘Processing’?

i have called them and spoken to them on the chat and each time all they have said is ‘it’s in one of the final stages of processing, we can flag this and note your travel date’. Estimated issue was 4th April which has obviously now passed. I have a holiday booked for 3rd May. How likely am I to receive this in time?

Also, if my witness hasn’t been contacted yet, what are the chances I will get it before my travel date of 3rd may?

• Advertisement

Have you contacted your TD? Someone on here applied nearly 6 weeks after you and already has theirs. It just depends whose desk you land on unfortunately.

We weren’t particularly lucky either so I sympathise. We contacted our TD and our witness was contacted that same day. Possibly a coincidence 🤷‍♀️ . It was still a further week until they sent it to print as we got selected for a spot check 🙄.

maybe get cracking on making a bit of noise. That said the fact that your status updated yesterday might mean they are finally looking at your application. Some people have gone from turning to processing to printing in the same day.

good luck, I hope you get sorted very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16 House of love

We applied on the same date, issue date waa 28th March , and just this Sunday the 10th we got an email we need further documentation sent and once they receive them the passport should be issued shortly after. I believe you should be sorted by May. Or ring them every day for an update. Good luck

What is a TD? Sorry I am in Northern Ireland so not sure if I know what that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Equivalent to a TD would be a MP in the UK, people suggest to contact a local one in your area to speed up your passport application if there's delays

Do you think it would be worth me contacting one local to me even if it is UK and not Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Im honestly not sure tbh, I suppose you could ask a local TD if that's something they do, not sure if it's worth it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Irish parliamentarians have a direct contact to the passport office, afaik it's not extended North of the border. Certainly not to MPs but maybe MLAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bindyboo

Thanks MarH88, i will try not to loose hope so. Did you send in any proof of travel or give them dates? I hope ours ends up in the lap as the same person yours did!! I have actually contacted a few TDs, one said they would send in a form on my behalf, the other said there was no hope....either way i can't change flights or dates...so it's a case of getting fire to the money if it doesn't land on time. It's so interesting the massive variations on timelines. I hope you all set sorted soon.

So turns out my witness didn’t answer the phone call 2/3 times the passport office tried to contact them so I’ve had to do a whole new consent form and provide details of a different witness. I have posted this first class today so should get there tomorrow. Have I lost all hope of receiving my passport before 3rd May travel date?

• Advertisement

The witness contacting seems to be one of the later stages of processing so you could be ok I reckon even with the new form submitted

Advertisement