Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

My goodness such venom for a group protesting against recent fuel price rises and looking for price caps

From above

"Another shower of useless p** ****"

"As I said, fudgin hilarious in the extreme. They're a bunch of idiots, nothing more."

"these clowns will be blocking up and costing everyone money."

"Just paying for fuel seems to be the latest thing they want for free"

"It's likely a front group for a bunch of wingnuts and conspiracy theorists."

"It will be the usual group looking for a fight….shower of wasters"

But hey keep it classy guys 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Here are their list of demands

Instead of the Irish flags, should be the BP and ExxonMobil logo

Nah just pointing out the misinformation posted.

But whether you're support / backing them or not, it's likely these are some of the same people "hurting" and "working and trying to earn living"

"I’m sure you will get confused about that as well like every other topic"

What's with the continued digs and personal abuse?

There are protestors over in the UK that I do support

what do you have to say about these people Mecanudo?

Well Akraisia first I'd ask what has the UK got to do with here? There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding UK regulations and UK groups in this thread.

What I wouldn't do is call them "p*****" or the other select language used in this thread against Irish people protesting about the rampant price increases in fuel and home heating oil. But the general gist seems to be fuk people here right?

• Advertisement

Someone should tell these protesters how much fuel costs per litre when they have an electric car charging at night rate electricity

They should be protesting for subsidies on electric cars and better infrastructure to replace oil and gas rather that trying to bankrupt the country by forcing all tax payers to subsidise putins newest war or Saudis latest super yacht

The XR protests are about a better future for the people of this planet. The dublin protest tomorrow is about a better now for people trying to make more for themselves

They're demanding that I pay their fuel bill through my taxes. That I pay my taxes to despots so they can have cheaper fuel than they had a decade ago

And who do think is subsidising the wealth generated for investors through renewable energy generation? Investments which have destroyed bogs and other sensitive environments here.

Or is it only bad when people protest against price rises you seem keen to see pushed on people who likley can't afford to change their car.

And remember lots of posters here have advocated support for our own natural resources and not bankrupting the country by being totally reliant on imports

Instead we have some who would force us to rely on natural gas imported from the UK supporting the likes of Putin and his war and various multimillionaires and their private yachts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Some reading for you re feeding the world,

Did I mention electric tractors? No I did not, however I have seen this recently, Its a converted fends 718, as far as I can make out.

Would this suit the average lad with 70 to 150 cows or even a contractor. absolutely,

Could OEMs build this if they wanted to today absolutely, are they likely to in the next 3 to 5, John Deere might

Would the average lad with 70 cows be buying a brand new electric 718 unlikely, unless there was significant off farm income. Contractors on the other hand get most things on hp so they could.

JCB are looking into to hydrogen I'm not so sure myself.

They're demanding that I pay their fuel bill through my taxes. That I pay my taxes to despots so they can have cheaper fuel than they had a decade ago

Do you not believe these people are also tax payers here, unlike your XR protestors in the UK?

And again posters here have been advocating for using our own natural resources in the period of transition to renewable energy generation.

.But oh no according to the same greens we must import our gas etc from the UK. And then blame everyone else when that happens.

Though tbf I think a lot of what you're claiming is simply projection Akraisia.

Edit. How do you figure fuel prices were cheaper in 2012 compared to 2022? The data shows otherwise.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement

Your like Humpty Dumpty scrambling to pick up the pieces after you pushed yourself off the wall. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Car companies get enough subsidies

What does LNG in Germany have to do with Ireland then or the South Korean built Nuclear plant in UAE, both of theses you and others have spoken about.

Agh as has been pointed out by tom1ie several times Corrib will run out in 2025 so importation is the only viable route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Nobody is proposing the kind of world you are imagining via your warped conspiracy theories.

How did that come about? I don't think many were expecting the murderous intensity of the Khmer Rouge to destroy technological civilization and with it most of the people, to return to a stone age, where the unpleasant (to them) egalitarianism brought about by technology and energy are banished forever.  If you want to spare the time read the city is dead editorial from the July 1975 edition of the Ecologist magazine. It will shock you, though perhaps not.

Consider the effect of decades of relentless propaganda has had on people and that some of them actually take on a conviction that they perceive themselves in a climate emergency and they must act NOW! and by taking the law into their own hands. They must save the planet from humanity, they must kill the "climate deniers". In their heads the climate emergency is an existential crisis therefore the ends justify the means. Mix that up with yet another variant of Marxism and suddenly you have a group of individuals who coalesce as organisations like extinction rebellion.  We will see the emergence of the Khmer Verts who want to bring about their vision of green utopia.

But why was there rationing in WW2?
    Because there wasn't enough to go around.

And that is key there was not enough to go around because economic resources were directed to war. Carbon rationing is not being proposed becaue of scarcity it is to deliberately cut consumption. At a Climate Change Communications workshop presented at DCU in 2016. In reply to Duncan Stewarts question (49 minutes in), professor Kevin Anderson tells them not to call it rationing, however, that's exactly what "personal carbon allowances" are. If you look around the you will probably recognise some of the heads present. Professor Anderson is one of the people who advises Greta Thunberg, he spouts plenty of his own conspiracies during that presentation in 2016.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There is no need for personal insults. If you had watched your own video he makes the same point I did, battery technology is unsuitable, hydrogen might be viable in future, but there is is the question of operating expenses.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Careful there, some folks get cranky when posts contain links, no idea why though

"Some folks get cranky"

Yeah stay classy Da

Though I think what you're referring to there is link dumping regardless of relevancy or context.

The thing that makes detailed comments like Pa's always worth reading is what is linked is actually relevant and not the result of a random Google search or when pasted and linked will activate a paywall where they're used on a website with not even any quotes to even suggest whats in the link.

Hillariously that's happened and then posters have been blamed for not being able to get the links to work lol. You couldn't make this stuff up. But some seem do.

Jaysus the protest is getting ripped to shreds on Reddit where the organisers can't moderate the public reaction. Some of the comments are hilarious

To be fair DaCor - if it was like some of the puerile comments here earlier referring to the protestors (whether you agree with them or not) as p****** etc and claiming they were just out to make money and other rubbish then I wouldn't give what's on Reddit any credence whatsoever. And its not like its not the standard type protest in Dublin at this stage.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement

A really good piece by Mick Clifford on the topic of climate change and the leadership of the country's reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Many green policies proposed by the Greens and the environmental movement aren't actually "green" once you take into account the greenhouse gases and pollution emitted in mining the resources for and the manufacturing of the various "green" technological solutions such as solar panels, wind farms, electric cars.

Or they are ineffective, when the green policies target individual consumers rather than the actual biggest polluters and emitters of greenhouse gases on the planet: large multinational corporations like Nestle, Bayer, or Linde, as well as the militaries around the world, especially the US, Russian, and Chinese military.

Thanks for that DaCor. And I see you're another Irish examiner fan, which is great. However same issue as before btw and to quote just in case anyone doesn't believe it

Google's "first click free" program allows Google News or Google search user to find and read articles, even if they are behind a subscription paywall.

However:

when a user clicks on a link... the publisher can show a payment or registration request

So while you can read pretty much any such paywalled article by searching for it, if you go directly to an article from a link - you'll likley hit a paywall.

Unfortunately just like that comment above. Nothing to do with the poster clicking the link as some have thought 🤷‍♂️

A brief summary would be good regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

As there seems to be a constant look towards to the UK in this discussion here's another one.

Anyone here raging at the idea of people protesting against the increases in the price of fuel and its impacts on the cost of living are going to beside themselves at this one!

The Big Power Switch Off in the UK described by organisers as a 'non-partisan' protest with the aim of highlighting unreasonably high energy prices in the UK.

The protest is aiming to create an imbalance in the National Grid demand as the ten-minute blackout is then followed by everyone turning their lights and other devices back on all at once

"To protect the grid, power stations will be temporarily disconnected or issued notices to attenuate their output." They added: “Because the grid is publicly owned, but power supply is private, this effectively creates a 10 minute boycott of the privatised portions of our power supply, losing them up to an estimated £9m in revenue.

“That's right, private energy companies take in an estimated £9m every 10 minutes in UK!" They concluded: “It is hoped that this slap in the wallet will cause energy companies to revise their prices, as was the case in Spain.”

Not sure how that'll work out but worth watching for sure.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/big-power-switch-what-could-23653927

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What?

Importation is not the only viable route.

Do not put words in my mouth.

What would be viable is developing barryroe and looking for more of our own gas as opposed to importing gas via the UK.

Don’t misrepresent me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

the idiot ryan at it again trying the ban the sale of turf without an alternative as per all green policies - the greens really know how to piss off rural ireland , cant wait for the big climb down come september. impossible to police and implement this law just like there ban on raised bogs which are still being cut because the law is an ass

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/minister-eamon-ryan-to-ban-sale-and-distribution-of-turf-41541705.html

Rural Ireland 😂

Also people all over towns and cities burn fires everyday with turf, logs etc.

I am sure if you could check the amount of new houses in rural Ireland with A2W installed is a far higher percentage in rural Ireland than in town/cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

so you are admitting that turf is needed for people not just in rural ireland but in towns and cities also but still support the implementation of this new law...the mind boggless

• Advertisement

Quick change goal posts 😂

You haven't a clue what people need in rural Ireland or in Cities....

Advertisement