Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Utterly Supreme round. That last shot. Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Unbelieavable round today

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

One reason I love watching him is he goes for it always. Great round hopefully he'll plough on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just class. After watching hideki's putt earlier, you just knew it had a great chance when it got to the top of the slope.

Great to see him finish 2nd (scottie won't blow it from here) - hopefully this means he will kick on now for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Know feck all bout golf but follow and support Rory cause he’s Irish and a damn good player. That bunker shot and the emotion afterwards gave me a nice fuzzy feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great stuff from Rory - a win this year was there for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Unreal score tbh. Best ever final day score in the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Xander10

Brilliant round from Rory. He gave it everything. Scheffler's chip in on 3 was the break that settled it. He was just about to come under pressure, but has been able to coast home today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Before today. Even before that last shot. I thought Rory would never win the Masters. The course seemed to have mentally shattered him.

After that round and that shot I'll put €20 on him to win next year in the morning. He is going to stride into the club on 12 months like he owns the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Great to hear the cheers and the chanting his name after the 18th.

He’s still one of the best players in the game to watch. The only place he gets put down is in his own country. It’s funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

You can still expect posters here to say that he can only do it when the pressure is off.

The pressure is never off at Augusta.

He was unbelievable to watch today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Rory is still the greatest ever player from the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

And the way Sky were treating him, you'd think he won it. He was never in contention as he was coming back from too far but hey, we just support him because he's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lol always have negatives. Amazing round amazing player and he will win it someday, christ he's only 32.

With that said...I do feel an experienced caddie has him in a better position going into that final round.

But man what a round. Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just saw a journo sum it up perfectly. “Watching Mcilroy is like an addiction, the highs are very high, the lows very low, but you will always get your fix on the final day of a major when there isn’t a chance of winning”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Best comment I've heard so far: Scheffler won the Masters, but Ireland won the constructor's championship. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

A win was never there for him at any stage. Scheffler was probably 10 shots better than him over the four days. McIlroy chipped in twice, went bogey free and should have been beaten by 5. A mad 4 putt when Scheffler was mentally already in getting his jacket gave two shots back. No player was beating Scheffler today and there was probably another gear there if required. He cruised home from the minute Smith was wet on 12.

Great 64 from McIlroy last night it has to be said, he made absolutely everything that he needed to. Aside from 2011, 2018 was his best chance to win at Augusta - final group on Sunday, totally pro McIlroy crowd and he bowed out tamely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

+1 on this! Definitely broke barriers with that round! Rorys game suits Augusta I think it was just mental and pressure of slam sure you seen it against Reed a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

whatever your view on Rory is, when he is in the form he was last night, its mesmerising. Great entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I mostly agree with the Scheffler stuff but his chip in on 3 was a massive stroke of luck. Similar to McIlroys on 18. McIlroys other one was from 13 feet on the fringe so was as likely to go in as a putt from similar distance.

The only player in the field who didn’t shoot a 73 or worse was Scheffler and he deserved the win for that. Only Mcilroy, Lowry And Conners had a worst round of 73. Everyone else shot a round at least worse than that. Scheffler with a 74 today would have tied mcilroy and it wouldn’t have been a shock for him to shoot that. He went out and won it though and fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Scheffler chip in was coming with how fantastic his short game had been all week. He could have had four of them not including that one.

Anyways it was great to see Rory at that level again, hopefully he can maintain it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

@ErnestBorgnine @OEP Please familarise yourself with the Golf Forum charter rather than discuss Nationalities on thread

Your posts have been snipped, no discussion of player Nationality please

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

In what way can you compare Schefflers chip on 3 and McIlroys bunker shot on 18?

Schefflers was a fluke that was easily going 15/20 foot past but hit the pin and dropped. Whereas McIlroy's bunker shot was executed to perfection playing it high up the hill and letting it feed down and into the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Funnily enough (or not considering the score), some good wedge shots from Rory yesterday. 8 and 9 were well controlled and well played. His 3rd on 15 was very good and just unlucky not to bite on the second bounce and give him a kick in birdie.

He clearly plays better when he's freewheeling, going for it, and not thinking too much. It's a harder and harder mindset to enter as you get older, however, hence he can only really access it when the pressure is off and he has to go for it.

He entered this week saying how he was going to play patiently and not take so many shots on, it worked to a degree, as in he didn't shoot 76 in the poor weather, but it left him too far back to really challenge.

I love watching Rory in full flight and am delighted he gave a glimpse of what he's still capable of last night. Hopefully, it gives him back a little of that swagger and he can turn up to the next few majors expecting to play well and cut loose a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If McIlroy hit that bunker shot another 100 times he'd be lucky to hole it once.

Both shots were lucky. Scotties didn't bite as hard as he expected to and it worked out great, Rory's just made it far enough to fall down the hill and into the hole, if it stopped a half foot shorter he'd have had a tough putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You're flogging a dead horse on that one. Rory's bunker shot was class and Scottie played a safe one (correct choice in the circumstance) that was extremely fortunate to go in. In fairness he probably would have held the par putt though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It was in response to saying McIlroy was lucky to get that close to Scotty due to two chip ins. As someone above said mcilroy could hit that perfectly any number of times and it mightn’t go in. Scheffler deserved to win it but wasn’t without his own little bits of luck. Even on 3 he hit it behind a scoreboard that’s classed as a temporary immovable object even though its 20 foot tall and cemented into the ground. If that was a tree instead of the pole he’d have been screwed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rory meant it, Scottie didn’t? I’m with Eagle on this one, Rory could be there for a week and he would be unlikely to hole that bunker shot again. Both were lucky, neither would have expected to hole it when addressing the ball. Both great shots.

Advertisement