Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary only 35 k, can I live on that one in Dublin?

Options
  • 11-04-2022 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I've been offered a job paying 35 k per year and it's in Dublin.

However rents seems excessively high, one bedrooms for around 1800 per month? It seems that with bills, 35 k would only cover the rent and maybe some bills?

Even if I was to consider shared accommodation it seems more than financially tight.

Comments

You would need to house share.

Crazy to think that 35k wouldn't be enough to have your own place, but that's where we are.

What part of Dublin is the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is it crazy though... I'm not sure it's ever been enough on your own in Dublin. At least not on the last 15 years.

It would have to be some form of share OP.

I was able to rent a 2 bed apt on my own about 8 years ago and I was on about that wage. Granted, it was a bit of a tight squeeze coming towards the end of the month and I was in a shitbox in Ballymun, but it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd say, even if I was sharing a place to live, living on 35 k in Dublin will be a big financial squeeze and the job probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bought a house on 38k in the past ten years (well, ten years ago) in the 01 phone code; and could have actually had plenty in County Dublin at the time too; 35k would have reduced the budget to probably a small 2 bed flat but it was still possible.

Two years later it wouldn't have been possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tobdie

That's the salary I started at when I first arrived to Dublin. It was not too bad, granted, a bit of restrain in how I lived was necessary, but it was manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It feels like you might have had alot of savings in the bank, been staying somewhere for little or no rent ,parents or had obtained some inheritance. Even ten years ago your not getting a mortgage without a mix or some of all of above. Tbf.

I think the central bank lending rules are about that age in existence. Which means you could only borrow circa 130k.

This was probably more than a while ago. Back in 2010, I would have said, it's ok, but now, it seems impossible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I tend to agree with you but from a different reason - Luxembourg, Switzerland and Ireland have the highest GDP per capita in Europe, expecting to be able to live comfortable in the capital of any of those countries on a salary less than have half that is not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Is the job worth the squeeze?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

• That’s the salary a colleague of mine in the public service bought her lovely little one bed apartment in an upmarket area if Dublin. That was about her retirement salary, she mortgaged on a much lower public service salary. People could then do it in a steady modest income.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

100% doable, it is what I started on 2.5 years ago set your budget for accommodation of 30% your net income and find the best share you can get. Once settled you can find a better paying job or push for more money where you are, find cheaper rent.

Much easier to move when you are settled in the city.

If you take the risks now you will be in a far better place in 3 or 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

15 years ago I was renting a one bedroom apartment in Rathgar on my own.

I was driving a one year old car.

I had a least one decent holiday that year, but it could have been two.

And I earned less than 35 thousand a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

35k in 2007 would be equivalent of 39667 now according to CPI Inflation Calculator.

its like me telling the op i could go for a night out with 20 quid back then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's not though, that is a reflection of how broken the CPI inflation calculation is, which anyone in business knows.

I ended up turning down the job offer. I think the company was way out of line for salary and cost of living and housing in Dublin. Also the salary never really fitted my previous experience as well. It was sad, as it was a good company, nice technical solution, something I would have liked. Maybe it was their US organization which set the salaries and made them totally non negotiable as well, - I never had that insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Probably the best decision (as far as I can see based on the above)

Rent prices have taken a sharp rise in the last 2 years, and even in the last year.

Anyone who has moved to Dublin on that salary more than 2 years ago may well have been ok, but I dont think its feasible today and have any sort of life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"I bought a house on 38k in the past ten years (well, ten years ago) in the 01 phone code; "

Back in 2012 people were struggling to get a job for 25k, you won a lottery if you bought house in Dublin at that time:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

You bought during the worst property crash in Europe. Four years earlier you could not have afforded either. 2008-2014 prices were abnormally low in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Four years earlier I was offered a 100% mortgage on a two bed in the arse of nowhere!

Basically the same salary, maybe 1500 less, but the banks own staff put in fictional overtime (I rarely did any), max bonuses that nobody actually got and the highest rent a room income possible.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have called them as "abnormally low" but reasonably affordable, and in line with most salaries in many different industries.

If one actually bought before 2008, then yes, they were abnormally low, or yourself in negative equity......

Advertisement