Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Slimy revolting treachery against a generation who can't compete with funds and councils

This government has brazenly sold out a swathe of the population as revenue generators for foriegn pensions, and has the temerity to persist in efforts to convince everyone it's for their own benifit.

The sooner they're gone the better, even if SF won't improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Slimy revolting treachery against a generation who can't compete with funds and councils

This government has brazenly sold out a swathe of the population as revenue generators for foriegn pensions, and has the temerity to persist in efforts to convince everyone it's for their own benifit.

The sooner they're gone the better, even if SF won't improve things

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Bang on. But they keep doing it... And right in front of our faces. Everytime time I see our housing minister on rte, I get instant elevated blood pressure!! This madness has to stop. I really do hope everything goes bang, a mass reset is what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Rentals in Dublin city now down to 444 ads on Daft. It's a ticking timebomb before a big MNC employer pulls the plug on new hires and a domino effect starts to happen across employers. New jobs announcements will stay as announcements and not materialise. Workday and Tik Tok being the big announcements in the last few months but it really does come down to housing; severe supply shortage and unsustainable prices.

The key word being "unsustainable" which should be interpreted to mean that something may give and people should've seen it coming that maybe a market with double digit increases in costs due to severe supply shortages was perhaps not the most resilient or stable foundation on which to claim that our housing market is sturdy.

The big increases in costs while supply has dried up feels a bit like the tide receding before a tsunami comes. The question is how many people didn't realise that the tide receding was not something to stand and watch but in fact something to run very far away from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Do you think many people would be willing to pay 400k for an apartment in devaney gardens? It doesn't look like a very nice construction either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

You don't need anyone to buy them when you have a gov that will use your money to lease them

The other guy seemed to be implying that they should have been sold to individuals that want to pay 400k to live in devaney gardens.

So is your point the government should have bought them for social housing? If so I agree, buy the rest and lease on the cost rental non welfare model and have a price for a portion that a renter could buy the property at would be a good idea maybe.

Really weird development IMHO.

The original plans for O Devanney gardens was great. If they had have built what they wanted in the beginning plenty of people would have bought houses there, me included. Shame they didn't allow permission

Yep, close to the phoenix park and close to town. Lots going for it I guess but whatever they seem to have built...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

SF won't do diddly squat. The Left, for the most part, are no threat to globalism as they represent an ideology that goes well with consumerism. Mass immigration, social housing and big spending in general by the state makes corporations salivate as there are plenty of government contracts to be snatched up. All that SF will do is promise the earth, the moon and the stars and burn out the funny-money press trying to deliver it.

We're beyond the point of fixing things with an election. As I've said before, the Irish civil service has been filled to the brim with people who are hell-bent on pushing globalist agenda either because they are invested in it or, even worse, because they are utopian ideologues. These people don't come and go with elections, and if any politician tried to take them on, the media and the Twitter harpies would drag them through the mud.

However, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that this is some dark cabal that has taken over the country. The Irish electorate has, for decades, voted in parties who espouse the above. Furthermore, the bureaucrats who fill the ranks of the civil service are not some alien lizard people (though in some cases, I could be convinced otherwise). Rather, they comprise Irish people and are representative of the status quo of the population. What I’m saying here is that none of this was really forced upon us. Whilst there was and always will be manipulation though the media by interest groups, at the end of the day, the Irish people chose to sow the harvest that we are now reaping.  

Interesting thoughts. Do you feel house prices will fall by much and over what time-frame? I cant see much falling in the next 2 years anyway? Me and my wife are thing of buying, our mortgage would be about 1k but if we rent it'll be at least 2k per month. Thats 24k in 1 year which is a nice chunk off a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I think anyone buying a house in the next 6 months should be prepared to go into negative equity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Rising cost of living impacting would-be home-buyers

A new survey by property listing site MyHome.ie found that 52% of respondents said inflation was affecting their ability to purchase

with predicted buildings material inflation of 18% next year just 12% believe that the next 12 months represent a good time to buy ... this will most likely serve to put a brake on soaring market demand..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

That's fair that people would not buy them at their current price of 400k, but that is because we need a decline to continue. By not allowing funds to purchase these properties (and others) they will sit on the market a depreciate in value until they reach an amount that the general populous deems acceptable and then begins to purchase them. The less properties funds can buy into, the more on the open market, the lower the price because demand wouldn't outweigh supply by as much as it does now, and the better off we'd all be. It wouldn't "fix" the situation. There is no silver bullet, but it would start a reduction in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus, where do even start with this one!

we re clearly coming to an end of the global neoliberal/neoclassical era, and nobody really knows what to do next, but we better get cracking with solutions, before we get bomby and shooty!

but to fair, sf are gonna struggle beyond belief in government, and you can be damn sure, it wont be solved in a single term

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I’m not suggesting some sort of insurgence. Rather, I’m merely saying that anyone who thinks that voting out FF/FG will bring a change is deluding themselves.  

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I dont believe SF will solve the issue, but I know 100% that FF/FG will only make things worse.

Their record on housing to date has been to inflate the bubble more and more - all any other party would have to do is not actively make things worse and they would have a better record than the incumbents.

i do completely agree with this statement, we ve no real ideas on how to resolve our property problems, and absolutely, sf wont come in waving magic wands, this is gonna take years, if not decades to resolve, dont be surprised if the situation deteriorates under sf, theyre gonna struggle....

the problem goes far beyond ffg, other major institutions such as the ecb are helping to worsen the situation, we re stuck in a catastrophic failure at a fundamental level, possible/probably a catastrophic collapse, and nobody knows where it ll end up.....

sf will also be stuck in this situation, with severe limitations in place in order to change things, we re all waiting for more global changes to occur...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Some increases in the Drumcondra Griffith Wood BTR development!

• Advertisement

Probably a quote that sums up housing

"The construction/housing sector is like a spoilt child, the more money you throw at it, the more it comes back looking for more"

Lorcan Sirr on the Mick Clifford podcast

its a rent seeking mess, it just keeps sucking up more and more money, which only truly benefits major asset owners, and ultimately the fire sectors....

Interesting thought. How much will house prices fall is the question. Has supply really increased that much?

Question for all members. My Wife and I are moving to Galway. To rent anywhere decent is 2k a month. If we buy a brand new house we can get a mortgage for about 1100 per month. The house will cost 400k but with HTB scheme it will be ours for 370k. Are we better to hold out or just go for the house and buy? I see everyone on here expecting house pices to fall. I dont know how much they will fall or if they will fall at all. Any vacant properties will be bought by government etc I would assume?

You may have noted from headlines yesterday that the construction raised concerns over building pre fabs for refugees. They feel that there inferior quality may damage there reputation.

There reputation must have been of little importance in the recent past.

Note the difference in money paid out by European governments in redress and shoddy workmanship compared to Ireland plus the degree of potential defects left incovered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

its not a question of supply but people are blind to the fact that if everyone is either unable to afford House prices because of unemployment or inflation then the prices must correct untill enough people are able to buy the houses again

Reits will also be forced to rent out their appartments at the market rate instead of leaving them empty because their asset is no longer appreciating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

I don't see how prices can fall at all - building inflation is rediculous, the government is buying half of all new builds at present and the housing minister said recently they'll need 35k houses for Ukrainians that stay on permanently over the next 5 years iirc. Until the IMF are back in town I can't see prices falling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Don't make plans based on house prices falling and you snapping up cheap property - it might never happen and you'd be left paying rent while prices stagnate or rise even more.

If you intend on living in the house long term, then just buy. Negative equity is only a problem if you are looking to sell on

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is a question of supply.

People are still buying houses, even with the rising prices. Developers have very little trouble shifting units, there is high demand and low supply.

This thread believes the only people buying houses now are the government and funds. I do not think this is the reality, and I would bet that the overwhelming majority of houses are still bought by private buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Low IQ left goon that guy.

why doesn’t he start his own construction company and undercuts everyone with his “fair prices”?

guy never had a shovel in his hand (and probably never done an honest day of work outside of milking the government for his “ work”).

Advertisement