Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think it should be the opposite. They should increase the grant in cars below €30k ish.

It will force manufacturers into a low cost market. It will allow many more people change to EV. The likes of people buying a 1.2 polo or fiesta around the €20k mark. If we got more of those people into EV’s we would be in a good position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Please stop taking sense......

Such talk is forbidden in cushy civil servant jobs. Or cushy expense paid, pension before 65, overpaid TD's/minsters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I agree. I think €5k grant is pretty generous and should only apply to lower priced cars, say €35k and below. A lower rate could apply to cars between €35k and €50k. If it works for vrt why not apply same approach to the grant. I also think tha advertised price of the car should be net of grant as this might influence used car prices. Again dealers dont advertise their car prices before VRT so same should apply for grant. Currently used car prices are on a par or even more that the new price as the grant has been pocketed and it forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Late Break episode on the Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He is no fan of Teslas. He really doesn't like their logo or the look of any of their cars (he can just about tolerate the facelift Model S). He has plenty of bad things to say about the Model Y, some of it subjective, some of it objective. He also has plenty of good things to say about it.

As always, a highly recommended review. Nobody is better at this than Jonny Smith.

• Advertisement

So I went to pick up my own car (Model S) yesterday when it was ready after getting the eMMC fix done. Talked to the sales guys and asked for an impromptu test drive, which was fine. I had the choice of either two cars, one on 20" and the other on 19". Obviously I picked the latter. The Dutch reg red car on 20" that got slated for its harsh ride by pretty much every motoring journo in the UK and Ireland was still there too. Parked on the grass LOL

Was the ride harsh? Not really. It's a sporty, fast car. Yes it's sort of an SUV form factor (more a large family hatch upped up by a few inches in my view though) and yes maybe some or most of the buyers of that type of car want a softer ride. Well, they won't get one. I found the ride appropriate for the car. But quite likely the 20" send it over the edge into being too harsh and uncomfortable

The car was very quiet with double glazed front windows as standard. I hadn't driven any made in China Tesla before, but the cabin is far quieter than any of the USA built Model 3 I have driven.

The car is far better looking than the Model 3, it is more like a smaller Model Y in appearance. But this is of course subjective. Build quality seemed perfectly fine to me. You won't get anything like Tesla's autopilot on other cars. And it rarely is free standard equipment either.

The cheapest Model Y for sale in Ireland costs €73k. Is it worth it? Maybe to some people, it seems to be selling well. There is very little competition and what there is, is inferior in most ways. Also there is almost zero availability of family EVs until sometime in 2023 (maybe) if you order one now. You will get your Tesla Model Y way before then. Would I spend €73k on one? No. I could well be in the market for a Model Y for my next car. But not at this price level.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Agree with a lot in your review. Have had a MY for 1.5 weeks having traded down from a MX.

73K may seem like a lot but think you get a lot for your money. The cabin is quieter especially at speed and the tech is worth its weight in gold (esp sentry having being driven into while parked 3 times in first 18 months of living in Ireland). The efficiency is off the charts. At 100kph I suspect you could go over 500km and recharging at speeds of 100kW at 60% is something I have never seen before.

The car is less premium than our X but the only thing I think I really miss is having to close the doors yourself. I can’t really think of another car that you could get with the money. While Tesla have their flaws I am pretty happy with the car thus far.

Indeed @Smck1983 - the efficiency and in particular the LiFePo4 battery chemistry should be mentioned. Not that it matters much in cost of ownership how efficient an EV is, but it does matter for range. And the made in China Teslas are the only EVs for sale today that have this chemistry. The batteries will last longer than any other lithium batteries, you can fast charge the bejaysus out of them and charge to 100% all the time without ever having to worry about degradation. And last but not least, it is the only lithium chemistry available in EVs that CANNOT go on fire / explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

This isn't entirely true. Only the standard (RWD) Model 3 has LFP batteries, regardless of where it's made now. Every other Tesla has NCA batteries, although that could change if Tesla decides to bring a standard range Model Y to Europe.

Aye, the wish is the father of the thought. I want a LiFePo4 Model Y standard range 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Electrek reports the same. So far employees only but expected to be available for customers in few weeks. I imagine it will be another year until these two new factories scale production properly.

Only $3k cheaper though and still AWD. Want a RWD for a lot less money 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Ufodrive has ModelY for rent. Quite expensive at 180 week day/220 weekends but if you want it is there for a bit of fun. I would be interested if they would have a 7 seater. Maybe next year.

There’s no talk of a 7 seater for Europe at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Saw my first Model Y in the metal today in Bolton St car park in Waterford... a white one, Limerick plates, dual motor.

Only got a look at it from behind, but it's a good bit bigger than the Model 3. Almost reminded me more of the Model X, to the point that I had to look at the roof and confirm it didn't have the pigeon-wing doors so as to be 100% sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Berlin Model Ys on the streets in Europe

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

@fricatus - yes that's what I thought and others in this thread too. The Model 3 is no looker, but the Model Y looks much better.

According to Nyland, the ride of the MIB Model Y is much better, even with the 21" wheels of the Performance. Should be way better again with 19 or 20" of the LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Interesting - Thomas from autogefuhl suggested in his initial Y video that the Berlin factory should “throw away” the US suspension and source local components for European drivers. Would make a big difference if they’ve done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I must be one of the few who likes the look of the 3 and not mad about the looks of the Y. Think the 3 looks far sleeker and sportier.

Wouldn't refuse a Y though...😁

The original Model S from Fremont were Merc suspension components from memory. That’s what a mechanic friend said after inspecting mine (2014 Model S Performance with Air Suspension). Maybe the Air Suspension makes a difference?

Switch gear was all lifted straight out of a Merc anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The original S was very much a parts bin car. Mostly mercedes prior generation parts - like the switchgear you mention. But I wouldnt be surprised if that's where the air suspension came from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Anyone here received or ordered a Model Y performance.

I ordered a Model Y performance yesterday. Trading in my M3.

Do you know where the Model Y Performance is made for Ireland. US, China or Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They don't exist here yet, or anywhere in RHD for MYP.

Probably will be German built when they do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Ordered a blue performance yesterday as well!

I think it will be made in Berlin, maybe we'll also get the newer 4680 batteries by the time we get them

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Good stuff.

I have M3 blue at the moment so went for grey this time.

Only tip I have is, go for black seats. I have white seats in my M3, too hard to keep clean and they are starting to stain.

You’ve obviously neglected them 😃

On the other hand, a decent seat coating applied once a month does wonders.

I keep baby wipes in the car (like I did with all cars), 3 boys, 11, 6 and 14 months.

Feb 2020 car

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭3d4life

Realising that using the ( compact, light and very beautiful ) Elise as a base wasnt a good idea they proceeded to butcher S class Mercs for version 2

I think I read this in Ashlee Vance's book ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px3f0ZlBRUk )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I placed an order for a blue MYP with white seats, and I keep wanting to go back to multi coat pearl white... It just seems like the best colour on Teslas 😭. My M3P is also white...

Advertisement