Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DF Commission Report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Is been done this way since the apprentice schools closed.

Much larger pool to draw from, and you won't have to waste time teaching them how to iron a shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Very true but is the problem now compare to 20/30 years ago the pool instead of bring a big pool is now more like the kiddie pool

20-30 years ago you were trying to instruct a 16 year old guy who had not gone beyond Inter/junior cert who had never been away from home without his parents to look after him..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

Possibly we need to recruit based on two presumptions. One that the pool is better educated and they are IT savvy. That recruiting should be done on a basic medical basis, with no cadet type interviews, rather decide later in training whether they will be Finally Approved or not.

The next step is shopping for various units to meet modern infantry standards. It seems each platoon needs to have 2 LMGs per section plus an antitank and a MANPADS unit also per section backed up by Mortars and mobile SHORRAD units within Companies. It seems a battalion needs at least 50 Javelins and 50 Stingers or similar. That will have to be scaled up to two Brigades and coverage for training units, say another Brigade.

The inventory could be in the region of 600 Javelins and 600 stingers with 10 rounds for each launcher. Thereafter Naval and Air Corps needs will also have to be met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭sparky42

Interesting bit in an IT article referencing what Martin said to Orga FF recently

The Taoiseach has actually given reasonably clear signals about what this may mean. In a speech to Ógra Fianna Fáil last week he referred to Russian sea and air exercises, saying: “In the sea and air around our island we have seen actions taken which have no innocent explanation. The fact that we do not have the capacity to carry out key functions is something we simply have to address.”

Conversations with senior officials suggest that this is likely to mean that Ireland’s naval and air defence capacities, especially a radar system, will be significantly ramped up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/evolution-of-neutrality-likely-to-be-government-s-favoured-approach-1.4848305

so between this and that article in the Mirror a couple weeks ago something like a LoA2+ perhaps? More than the €1.5 billion but short of the €3billion LoA3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Very interesting. Time to get the cheque book out now and start buying the kit or we'll end up at the tail end of a long queue with all the other European nations purchasing shed loads of military hardware.

So Putin has managed to do the following in just a few weeks.

1. United the EU

2. Saved boris's job

3. Got the shinners to change there world view

4. Got Germany to rearm (what could go wrong there)

4. Now has Finland ready to Join Nato

5. Got the Irish Public to think Maybe we should think about this whole neutrailty thing. ( This is actually mental some of my friends have always being so against the military and war etc now what us to send are missiles to ukraine!)

6. The best of all have got our leaders to say maybe we need to get proper Military gear ( Saying and Doing are two very differen things but)

So in summary Thanks Vlad for waking europe up you evil Bast@@d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Good post Roadie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/lend-lease-for-ukraine-us-revives-wwii-anti-hitler-policy-to-defeat-putin/

So it's in effect a new American 21st century Lend Lease bill for Ukraine & NATO / Europe, does this include Moldava, Georgia & other neutral nations & could even Ireland also get some financial aid to upgrade it's military capability, in addition to the planned defence budget increases?

I'd suggest that the North Western Atlantic Ocean approaches are certainly vulnerable & the cost for proper defence for this region is beyond Ireland's ability to contribute even with a similar military budget to other European nations such as Sweden or Finland spend.

So either raise extra taxes from sectors such as those international businesses, including prominent American & European multinationals, that pay low rates on their profits in Ireland, possibly combined with air travel charges for tourist passengers such as countries like Egypt or Turkey always charge, perhaps €10-15 per return flight.

Perhaps combined with some Lend Lease financial aid as above & help from EU & NATO partners countries including Britain.

Denmark & Portugal have a balanced military between land, sea & air forces, I would suggest they are the most similar nations to Ireland in terms of strategic location. I recall reading recently, maybe in was in the Defence Commission report that a 6:2:2: ratio of Army, Naval & Air force would be ideal for Ireland.

As for the cost, it should be also noted that Defence spending was drastically reduced in real terms accounting for inflation, from the late '90's & especially since the 2008 recession crisis. In effect what the DF commission report recommends s the restoration of an adequate military budget, not a massive increase as recently portrayed by hard left politicians & their agenda.

Post edited by purplepanda on

At the Arbor Hill event today Martin basically repeated publicly what he was saying to Ógra FF, so I guess we now have to wait and see what Coveney brings to the table in June?

• Advertisement

Maybe I missed it (apologies if I did), but from that all it says is before the Summer Recess, which has been flagged as the June Cabinet meeting (as mentioned by Coveney and others), even with the leg work being done as suggested in that post, I don't see anything to suggest something sooner?

Is the HSE and the Air Corps about to breakup?

Etender for HEMS based out of Cork. Cant see there being two seperate providers of this service in the long run

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/211456/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

There’s already the charity one operating in Cork/Munster?

Going by that tender there services will no longer be needed

Indeed, have they run into financial issues or something? Seem to remember the Commission Report suggesting a second helicopter but this seems different.

Looks to me more like they are going official with the Cork operation. Up to now the HSE has not funded it.

If the intention is to get it out before the summer recess, the June Cabinet meeting is too late. You may need to bring it to the house immediately after bringing it to cabinet, and time is tight.

If they have a private contactor service for the south i caan only see them doing the same for the north eventually maybe based out of Knock?

I doubt it will go to the house before recess, I’m more expecting it to go to cabinet and then spend the summer recess arguing with DOD and Finance and it be voted on by the time of the budget in October, maybe it happens in May but no earlier than that I would think.

• Advertisement

Fair point. Many of the recommendations though should be acted upon ASAP and are cost neutral. The clock is ticking. What is proposed will require a complete change in how we fund defence, regardless of whether its €500m extra, or the full LOA 2.5 that some suggest. We may need to get rid of DPER too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Not sure where to post, but it is rumoured (link) that 20-30 NZLAVs have been sold and to be refurbished to this end.

Is there any Irish RFP that tallies with this kind of acquisition?

Not really off the top of my head, isn’t the only current/future procurement that we know of for the RG32s? The NZLAVs would be a whole other animal.

Nothing I've heard of. Unless someone wants to get value out of the ship bringing the IPVs home...

They have little in common with our Mowags, the cav versions which are just heading off to be upgraded.

We may get full value for the ship and get them to throw in there fleet of NH90s as well

Bit more from Coveney regarding the next steps (and why it's going to be a while anyway), though he's being slightly optimistic when he suggests the underinvestment only dates to the 1970's:

The world is living through a “far more unpredictable and unstable security environment” and Ireland needs to respond to that, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Defence Simon Coveney has said.

However, Mr Coveney also cautioned against a “knee-jerk reaction” to the war in Ukraine in terms of the State’s defence and security provision.

The Minister was speaking at the Oireachtas Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence on Tuesday, which was considering legislation to provide for members of the Military Police to take and use DNA samples to investigate crimes within the Defence Forces.

The Defence Forces (Evidence) Bill 2019 also will establish a DNA (Military Police) Database System, to be administered by Forensic Science Ireland, to hold DNA profiles generated from samples.

Responding to questions from Sinn Féin TD John Brady, Mr Coveney said he wanted to bring a paper to the Government in response to the Commission on the Defence Forces in June.

The commission published its final report earlier this year and found that the current Defence Forces’ capacity would leave the country without a credible military capability to protect Ireland.

Mr Coveney said the context in which the commission’s report was being considered had changed in relation to the war in Ukraine.

“Every country in the European Union is now looking again at defence provision and security issues,” he said.

“I don’t think we should have a knee-jerk reaction in that regard but I certainly think we are living in a far more unpredictable and unstable security environment, not just on this continent but globally and I think we need to respond to that.”

Mr Coveney said the vast majority of the commission’s recommendations would cost money and party leaders and Government Ministers had to be consulted to ensure that “what I bring to Government is something that’s supported”.

“There will be a lot of work on that over the next six to eight weeks before we actually bring a report to Government,” he said.

He said the report would then be debated in the Dáil and Seanad, and will be brought before the Oireachtas Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence.

Mr Coveney said there had been “decades of underinvestment in defence infrastructure” in Ireland by consecutive governments that dated back to the 1970s.

“We need to correct that. We can’t do it overnight. Even if we could do it – financially – overnight, the Defence Forces wouldn’t be able to respond to a dramatic increase in financial resourcing in one or two years,” he added.

In relation to the Defence Forces (Evidence) Bill 2019, he said he looked forward to “hopefully getting this legislation into law before the summer recess”.

Mr Coveney said he believed no political party had an issue with the legislation, adding: “It is about ensuring that there are appropriate mechanisms to investigate crimes within the military system.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is not DNA taken from all soldiers by default? It’s used for identification of battle casualties in our case (if you just find a leg, for example), but I guess criminal investigation would be a useful side effect.

What you do with DNA needs to be copper-fastened by legislation. You don't want your DNA to be used to clone super soldiers in decades to come..

Joking aside, all such samples need to be used for the purpose intended. It is not good law, for example, to take samples for a random drug test, only then to use same samples to implicate the soldier in a sexual attack, for example.

Identification of remains can be done without keeping dna of the individual soldier. Comparative DNA of a blood relative is sufficient to provide positive identification. Unfortunately in Ireland, this has been necessary more than once.

17 Acres have come up for sale next to Gormanstown camp. Would the DF be worth looking at it to secure land around the base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Chile took the NZLAVs.

Advertisement