Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Protests - Dublin 11 April

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Cycled past it on way to work this morning.

25 vehicles is being generous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Laughing at their list of "demands".

A few spanners who know how to drive trucks basing a public protest on the kind of list of demands that primary school kids would come up with - i.e. well-meaning but obviously very simplistic and completely unrealistic.

Morto for them outing themselves publically as being this stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Noxegon

We are in an environmental emergency. Fossil fuel usage needs to be radically reduced in order to avoid calamity in the future. Whether we like it or not, pricing is one way to accomplish that.

Just my €1.97...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And I bet the few lads that did turn up have quickly realised they've been had again by a portly lad who stuff's breakfast rolls down his throat, and is nowhere to be seen, other than behind his phone running a few facebook pages and fake profiles.....

• Advertisement

Just started raining in Dublin 1 - there goes any chance of the rent-a-mob crowd deciding to show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It about time the Gardai got the battens out and smash a few lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I think the longer they stay, the more traction it'll gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They have less support this time than they did at their last effort, which was less again from their first one. But for some reason you think being such a laughing stock on Day 1 they couldn't bring the kind of numbers Hare Krishnas can to O'Connell Street makes you think people will now flock to their cause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not going to happen

Lower turnout than before, second front (the GPO stuff) failed to even happen, getting fined already and will likely be towed by the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭quokula

As a species, our choices are limited to a binary of emitting less carbon or leaving a massive global catastrophe to our children and grandchildren.

The catastrophe can of course be avoided if everyone else in the world behaves responsibly and Ireland doesn't. But if other countries also come to that conclusion and assume it's everyone else's responsibility then we're screwed, which is why international agreements are in place to ensure all countries act together. If we choose to turn our back on international rules and norms and turn ourselves into North Korea that is always an option, but I'm not sure it's an option worth taking in order to allow some hauliers a slightly bigger profit margin for the few months before they completely run out of fuel because no nation will trade with us.

It's less that 20 cranks whom the even rest of their own industry don't want to be associated with. If they can't even get fellow truckers to join them what makes you think they'll get the public on board? Attacking the general public isn't exactly how to win hearts and minds.

Last time around they drew a bigger crowd of spectators down to take a look than actually protesters. This time around the spectators haven't even materialised

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Except for the hard-working hauliers who use the Tunnel and East Link every day.

In the grand scheme of pollution figures to Air and water globally where do Ireland sit as an offender would you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Patser

Even their own Facebook page is starting to turn into a 'Where are ye all!!! You promised, and now we're getting fined and looking awful' type blamefest

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Watch a go fund me appear now to pay the fines.

They won’t be able to resist the grift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

I don't think so. As said by a few,its a few extreme, disorganised people with some legitimate hard working folk roped in.

I'd have no problem with a protest organised by legitimate, working people, with planning and cooperation between different unions and associations.

The organisation of this isn't by any official group, its mostly by unemployed nuts, spouting other stuff on twitter and telegram. Each trying to further their own profile and cause. They even fight among each other as to what they should do. And there's severe jealousy and politics.

This is the closest they can come to connecting with ordinary people who go to work and also have issue with the current cost of living.

But lets not get confused. We can support the cause, just not their version of it. I doubt you'd sit for a coffee or pint, or go for a walk with these people. I wouldn't anyway. They don't represent the majority in this country.

One man involved in this has a website talking about fetus' in injections, the Pope is a warmonger, all while having a nice donations page while claiming social welfare.

Another woman who likes to use a megaphone and be heard is also long term unemployed, taking money for decades, and spouting all sorts of stuff to others. It's mad stuff, never worked in their lives.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Opened their Facebook page, and first thing I spotted under the "Related Pages" section was Ben of the clan Gilroy's page.

Oh dear. 😅

No chance, they should have turned around at 3am this morning when they knew nobody else was with the fruit loops

• Advertisement

What did you expect, their brain trust on here has been busy posting with their usual well thought out and logical arguments.

Went onto the website, same shower of useless pri*ks you see with Gemma shouting everyone is a "llliiiiaaaaarrrrr".

Gardai would be better just putting the lot of them into the wagon and sticking them into the Joy for a few hours.

When someone asked about letting people into hospitals etc...the response was something about "cagged animals" during Covid.

I really do fear for the stupidity levels of this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes, yes it can as we are part of an organisation of countries and have signed up to commitments.

and it will be imposed and we will pay it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As I stated already there Paris agreement is in no way legally binding. There are no "fines" for not hitting targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes Ireland on its own will make no difference but we're part of the EU, 500 million people and China's biggest customer. The EU can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect we have to tick all the boxes to retain our current payments which i think goes mostly to farming... i am happy to be corrected as i don not really know the EU money goes...

See the mess in Derrybrine , Galway... kept paying huge sums in fines and now it has to be removed...

What are they like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not every visit to a hospital is an emergency, but they are no less important.

And who were they to decide who gets to use the road? Who gave them that right?

They are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭quokula

Per capita, we sit pretty highly and are above the likes of the UK, France, Spain, India, Mexico, Italy and many many more. Do you think the citizens of those countries, who as individuals are already responsible for fewer carbon emissions than you or I, should all be exempt from any responsibility as you believe we should be?

This logic leads to catastrophe if you think anyone in the world who happens to have arranged themselves into a jurisdiction of relatively low population should be allowed to pollute at will. Where do you want to draw the line? EU commitments should only apply to countries with 10 million or more population while the other half of members do what they want? Should the approx 50% of American states that have lower populations than Ireland also be exempt from all responsibilities? Should the 20 or 30 Chinese cities that happen to have a lower population than Ireland declare themselves as independent states so it will then be ok for them to burn as much fossil fuel as they want?

If you keep coming up with excuses why you should be allowed to emit as much carbon as you want without any consequences while everyone else cleans up their act to make up for it, you eventually end up in a situation where nobody does anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

What would the prospects of travelling from N3 Cavan side to Beaumont.?

Thanks.

Advertisement