Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

I didn't mention abortion because Trump himself was in favour of abortions being allowed too, so there wasn't much difference between Trump and Oz on that topic.

American politics in general is really odd these days. Democrats are supporting people like Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger even though Cheney and Kinzinger support basically every traditionally Republican position on culture, simply because both of them spoke out against Trump. Then you have social liberals like Elise Stefanik who get promoted to top Trump positions despite their opposition to traditionally Republican positions on culture, because they are some of the most loyal Trump supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Republican Party went out of business January 6th. Its now the Team Trump party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"I didn't mention abortion because Trump himself was in favour of abortions being allowed too, so there wasn't much difference between Trump and Oz on that topic."

In reality, yes.

But as a "republican", he says he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is the standard trump supporter tactic of accusing others of the stuff they themselves are guilty of. there is nothing more spiteful than a trump supporter. Cue cries of "but i'm not a trump supporter".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

"I can't stand Trump but [Insert Trump-ish talking point....be sure to mention "Woke" or "Far-Left" somewhere]"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

It almost like supporting Trump goes hand in hand with lack of critical thinking and reading comprehension as well as aggressiveness.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Disney would like a word.

Along with Nike

Kelloggs

Goodyear

The NFL

Starbucks

Ben & Jerrys

Target

Amazon

Netflix

Oreos

Gillette

The airline companies

etc…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In more evidence of the scam that was the Trump administration , Jared Kushners "investment firm" got $2B from the Saudi Wealth fund despite the due diligence review by the screening committee showing that his firm was an absolute car crash.

The screening committee's four members — current or former heads of Saudi Aramco, Dow Chemical, the Saudi Central Bank, and Saudi Industrial Development Fund — voted unanimously against investing in Kushner's fledging Affinity Fund, citing the "inexperience" of its management, an asset management fee that "seems excessive," and the fact that due diligence found the firm's operations "unsatisfactory in all aspects," the Times reports. "But days later the full board of the $620 billion Public Investment Fund" overruled the screening panel.

The review panel were overruled by MBS and the cash handed over , a sum which represents 80% of the total funds that Kushner has under management .He also got the money on way more favourable terms than other recent investments with far more experienced Investment firms.

Not a hint of quid pro quo , no sir , not a bit of it.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There’s a 2 step process for getting Trump’s endorsement:

1. say something nice about Trump
    2. Look like you’re going to win with or without his endorsement

2 is actually optional

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The Jan. 6 Committee has concluded it has enough evidence to to make a criminal referral of Trump to the Justice Department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Q will need to find a new JFK: Elon Musk will not be joining the board of Twitter. He pulled out of the deal, which apparently was very close. As a board member he would be legally bound as a fiduciary of the company required to act in the companies financial interests. I guess this didn’t excite Musk who saw the purchase as a meme? But reportedly he may buy an even bigger share of the stock ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Elon doing Elon things to manipulate the markets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's the buying of more stock bit I think that caused Musk to baulk at taking the seat.

The offer stipulated that he could not purchase more than ~14% of the stock during his tenure on the board.

Musk has no actual interest in Twitter , it's just like his messing with Crypto , he is a glorified "Pump and Dump" eco-system all on his own.

Just him announcing that he'd bought the stock bumped the price up 26% in a single day , making him the guts of a Billion dollars for zero effort.

He'll continue with this dance all the while encouraging gullible day-traders all over the world to buy into a stock that he owns and pump the price without any real reason.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There's a scandal a day, and #2xIMPOTUS isn't holding any political office. Now it seems, his Admin failed to report any of the gifts they received in 2020. Ridiculous. As the article says, either really stupid, or really corrupt. I think both.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-missing-gift-records-stupid-corrupt-b2055106.html

Government ethics experts say they are stunned after the US State Department said records are missing of the gifts Donald Trump received while he was president.

Yeah i follow CREW on Twitter. 90% of Trump's corruption doesn't go worth mentioning just owing to sheer volume

It was a ****ing grift from the get go. The whole campaign. When he found himself inside the WH, he discovered that the "norms" were not enforceable and as someone who flaunted rules all his life, he decided to level up on as much money as possible.

Whenever he was challenged, he put all legal and governmental blocks in the way.

His supporters will say that all politicians are corrupt, yada yada yada, in order to avoid criticising him but the dog in the street knows that he was an exceptionally corrupt, immoral huckster the likes of which we hopefully never see again.

The US had better put in place mechanisms to enforce these norms AND punish wrongdoers or else someone else with half a brain will come in and do far more damage.

The US had better put in place mechanisms to enforce these norms AND punish wrongdoers or else someone else with half a brain will come in and do far more damage.

This is a really important point.

As awful as Trump was , his "agenda" was entirely self-serving and all about accumulating money for himself.

But , the next person could actually have an actual political agenda and do untold damage to the world if the US allow the lack of oversight and penalties that Trump exposed to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agreed. Too many of the "checks & balances" depend on the people involved to follow accepted norms. Too many of the investigations/punishments are subject to approval from groups of people who have too much of a vested interest in doing what benefits "their side", or who may even be somewhat implicated in the events themselves.

And the Dems have done nothing to address this while they could, which means if the GOP take the Senate in the mid-terms, they won't be able to do anything.

So either Trump ran for office to be an evil white supremecaist nazi. Or he did it for the money because he was obviously short of a few bob. Which is it?

Both theories are utter baloney by the way.

He did it because he loves his country and was tired with seeing it being flushed down the toilet by establishment politicians from both parties.

Did he achieve everything he wanted? No.

Was his behaviour perfectly Presidential? No.

Did he make an honest effort to build the wall and get a handle on illegal immigration. Yes.

Was he treated as fairly by the media as they treated Obama or Biden? Absolutely not.

Really butchering the use of the phrase Honest Effort lmao

• Advertisement

Care to address the calling of @Snake Plisken a "waspish spiteful personality"?

Where did I call that specific poster that? I think you'll find I said that the real waspish spiteful personalities are generally on the Left. Which I tend to believe. In the old days, when I was a liberal leftie, I took a caricatured view of the right or US Republicans as being evil, racist gun-toting religious nutters. Back then I thought I was one of the good guys.

However with experience of the world, better knowledge of history and a genuine curiosity, I now see it slightly differently. I think of the abuse someone like Candace Owens or Jesse Lee Peterson gets. The abusive and bullying behaviour of the woke mobs during the BLM riots (think of the mob shouting in the lady's face to raise her fist in the air when she was just trying to have a quiet dinner). Or what happened with the enlightened leftie mob in Evergreen College.

You mean like the way Democrats think the recent Florida law was banning the word "Gay" from schools? Widely portrayed by the left as the "Don't Say Gay" law? When in fact it's actually to prevent teaching sex education to 5 year olds?

How? I think he genuinely tried, unlike literally every other politician from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

All the above says that is that you've saturated yourself with silly American "internet" politics and exchanged one set of cliches for another.

Get off the web for a bit and go experience some of the real world.

How nice of you to summarise the last 20 years of my life, which I've spent travelling the world, having highs and lows, living and working in different countries, reading, learning, evolving, abusing substances, being both a victim and perpetrator of a crime, starting a happy family, buying a house. I believe that's what the loony left call "denying my lived experiences". But it's OK in this instance I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Pity you didn't learn anything from it then isn't it, except a childish grasp of politics, the inability to know a fraud when you see one, and a load of silly catchphrases that you got from the internet.

The ONLY thing that Trump loves is himself and everything that he does is based on making himself look/feel good and to make money for himself.

He couldn't care less about "his country" , he only cares about how his country was impacting his earnings.

His "political" career has been based entirely on finding ways to self-enrich.

The only "policies" he actually personally cares about are the ones that benefit him - There is a reason that the only legislation that he actually worked to get passed was the tax cuts , his utter disinterest in putting in any effort for any other piece of legislation is not by accident.

He could not care less about anyone else and as such was only interested in things that helped him get what he wanted (which is personal money and power) so he was perfectly happy to indulge all of the right-wing fever dreams as it stoked up his base and got him the support he needed.

Your condescending and dismissive tone really wins me around to your way of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Better to be flushed down the toilet by him making money for himself than by establishment politicians from both sides?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement