Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Also, has anyone had any issues with the marbled-effect material on the internal door handles? I just noticed today that it’s “chipped”. Looks like a layer of paper at the top (I thought it might have been a hard wearing plastic) and it’s white underneath. Definitely not hard wearing!! Not sure how to fix it/patch it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Go back to the dealer and have them report it to Hyundai. You don’t say how old your car is, if the door is one in regular use -i.e. for instance in my case with only two of us using the car, the back doors have hardly been used in 10 weeks.

Unless you have accidentally damaged the material outside the range of what would be deemed normal usage, the warranty should cover a replacement, if refused then you could have a case for restitution as the product is not fit for purpose or durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Cheers PhilBky. We got the car mid-January. It’s on the drivers door side and I honestly can’t think of what happened to it.

Did the same thing happen to you? Was it the faux-leather or the marble-effect material, and how did you get it resolved?

No, mine’s fine. Just offering a reasonable way for you to proceed.

As with everything else with the car, everyone, including Hyundai, is on a learning curve.

It isn’t the first time in motoring history that a new material has given problems, either generally or in isolated incidents.

It certainly needs investigation.

BTW the leather is real, just processed in a way that is eco friendly compared to traditional methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Has anyone had problems with the scheduled charging. Mine is all over the place with the last couple of weeks. Sometimes doesn't charge and sometimes starts charging the minute it's plugged in despite having scheduled charging set up and showing as on with app and in car. We were going to head away with it this weekend and had to leave it because it never charged overnight even though I had tested it again during day and it came on at scheduled charge time, so I set it back to usual night time and it never came on at all as was still at same range in the morning. Can't figure out if I've done something wrong, never changed anything and it was working away perfect.

• Advertisement

Did you set up charging in the car or by the app? Using the app last night mine failed to start charging at the scheduled time and 30 minutes later when I went out to the car there was a message on the car screen saying “charging interrupted check cable.”

Having removed and reinserted the cable, charging started but the range had already increased from when the car was last used, indicating that whatever the app said, charging had started on time.

After charging restarted, the charging finished at 80% as set up originally on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Those end of may,start of June orders have been pushed out till July. No more orders being accepted for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Seen that on the FB owners group.

Pause on all new orders, the MY23 model will probably be announced this week along with price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Anyone recommend a dash cam? Saw a vid on YT an American fitting looks very handy. Halfords won't do any EV instal, fella said dealers were charging 1k for new ones to be fitted!! Main concern is draining the battery if I install it myself. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19 buachaill maith

Fairview motors installed mine pre delivery,Thinkware front and rear dashcam wired back to fuse box,very neat and done for €550.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭eagerv

We missus has the same in her ioniq 5. Neat setup alright and will not operate if 12V battery goes below a preset level when car powered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Donnchadh75

Hi all - have had our Ioniq 5 with the 73kw battery since February and love it. Just wondering what people's experience of a 'full' charge is. The Hyundai website indicates range should read (at that stage) 480km but I get nowhere near that. Max is about 420km. This includes days when not particularly cold etc etc.

Would welcome any insights / advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Until we get days with temps in the range of 20 Celsius and above you won't get anywhere near that. The range will vary with temperature and is a guess based on temperature, driving style and will change as you drive. For instance in March I did a 312kms trip starting with 100% battery. Using I-Pedal, some aircon for temperature control (which seams to be more economical that just the heater for some reason I can't work out) when at the end of the trip I took the starting and finishing mileages, added the range the car was saying I had left, I had gained 40 kms range. All new cars, if delivered fully charged, say around 480kms range. Once driven it is rarely achievable again in our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,009 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The figures quoted on the Hyundai website are WLTP figures.

What the GOM shows is an estimate based on your recent driving history.

Hi all and thanks. For clarity... I'm not talking about what is actually ACHIEVED. I know that's dependent on loads of variables. I'm asking when it's fully charged, what should it be reading as being available. Are you saying that within two months, that's already revising downwards based on driving etc... and will continue to fall further?

If that's the case, how can you know over time whether the battery itself is becoming less effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,993 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

itll go up again in the summer, when its fully charged you have x no of KWHs available, the range available is contingent on loads of factors, same as any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Its basing it on the way you drive, mine no where near that (prob around 350 at the moment as l do a lot of motorway driving).

If you want to see 480 now the only way I think you'll see it is go into the dealer reset "the brain" of the car starting from scratch again. Dealer suggested that to me also when I bought but haven't taken them up on it yet I suspect it won't be for free 🤔.

Other wise 100% will be based on your driving history under non efficient conditions (e.g cold and wind).

It’s very straightforward. As one You Tube blogger says, the part of the display that shows the range is called the Guessometer. Every car that's ever been built has had its range affected by the load it carries, the wind, temperature, tyre pressures and the way it is driven. It's the same with your IONIQ. On picking it up it hasn't been used and the computer will give you the best possible range in perfect conditions on a full charge.

Unfortunately the computer has been set up with algorithms that can detect all the variables listed above and, each time you charge the battery the computer, in making its guess, takes into account everything that has affected the range since the last charge and also factors in an average of factors since the car was first run. It then adapts the range as you drive.

We have become so used to long distances on a full tank of fossil fuel that people forget it is less than 50 years ago that 30 miles to the gallon in a car with an 8 or ten gallon tank was considered normal. Range anxiety and the still underdeveloped infrastructure has become the curse of EV driving.

Thanks so much for all those answers and for taking the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm my experience a single spirited drive will effect the GOM when it is fully charged again so once temp Increases the GOM will Improve immediately. I think initially people get overly fixated with the GOM and will learn to largely Ignore small deviations In the predicted range from charge to charge once they become familiar with the car

Woke up this morning to find my radio not working on FM,just static crackling through speakers, anyone else experiencing this on their five day old ioniq 5?

Try a reset on the infotainment, small hole on the left under the screen. I do this anytime infotainment issues (like with bluelink connection).

Thanks,will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Hi, just wondering if the battery charge should only be set to max 80% ? I'm doing a lot of milage with my job so ideally want to 100% charge to max out range, but at the same time don't want to degrade the battery by doing so? any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Won’t do any damage at all if you are driving it everyday. You paid for 100% , use it!

The only exception is don’t leave it at 100% and go off on holidays. That’s bad for it.

Lot of different info out there. Seems to depend on the chargers, frequent use of fast chargers and over 80% are suppose to degrade, not expert so not sure why. I was previously suppose to get an ID4 and dealer mentioned future value would be less if fast chargers were used frequently (vehicle history will track that).

Slow chargers supposed to degrade less but like you I do a bit of milage charge mostly 80% and 100% maybe once a week or long distance journey's.

Hopefully someone with the exact science might know. I know Tesla say no issue with 100% and fast chargers.

Lithium-ion batteries will degrade but Hyundai have the confidence to give an eight year warranty on the batteries. It remains to be seen what the warranty covers but on a forum I read some time ago someone in the U.K. with a four year old Ioniq had covered 120,000 miles and had charged the battery on an almost daily basis. The battery capacity was tested prior to sale and was rated at 92%. The consensus seems to be to keep the battery between 20% and 80% unless going on a specific trip where 100% is needed. If you regularly do a daily high mileage try to take breaks in the trip where you can add an amount of charge to stay within the 20%-80% limits. The consensus seems to be that chargers up to 50kWh used regularly won’t have a detrimental effect. The jury seems to be out regarding high power chargers but Ioniq 5 drivers in the USA and Canada seem to be using them as the norm and one of the USPs pushed hard by Hyundai is the 18 minute charge to 80%, obviously aimed at the regular long distance drivers using fast chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭eagerv

In Tesla case, yes they recommend to charge to 100%, but only with the LiFePo chemistry. Otherwise they also recommend 80% whenever possible.

When I had my ID, I regularly charged to 100% when I needed it immediately or within an hour or so. Otherwise 80% usually gave me loads..

• Advertisement

Advertisement