Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for a house purchase in Northern Ireland.

• 11-04-2022 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We've recently gone Sale Agreed on a second home (holiday home) in Northern Ireland. We will need to pay for it in sterling obviously but are residents of the Republic. What's the best way to transfer the money, getting the best rates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try something like Wise, i'm not sure if there will be an upper limit they will allow. I've used this myself for car parments previously.

https://wise.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 desert.emerald

Thanks Atlantic Dawn! Would I be fleeced if I did a bank draft and dropped it to solicitors myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With a car purchase I was finding the rate the bank was giving was poor, then along with the charges the difference was about 3-4% so considerable amount on a £100k house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Simply ask the bank for a dealer rate. Once its a decent value (£50,000 or more), the bank should be able to get you a dealer rate which will be close to market rate.

The other option as above is to open a wise account or transfermate https://www.transfermate.com/personal/ and do it via their platform.

The difference between the walk in bank rate and dealer or intermediary rate is about 1.5% (about £1500 on a £100,000 transaction)

A bank draft is worst of all. As its sterling, it can take up to 15 days to clear and you get a worse rate on top of that. Avoid bank draft is at all possible. Its an archaic way of payment

• Registered Users Posts: 17 desert.emerald

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement