Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Protests - Dublin 11 April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You could consider going Navan-Slane-Drogheda and follow M1 to avoid M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

At the moment Dublin is incredibly quiet traffic wise - between mid-term and fear of disruption. The protesters are literally just 25 odd vehicles parked up on roundabout at 3 Arena and that's it.

Maybe later, if they get frustrated and want to try make headlines, there's a risk they try a go slow on M50 or M1, but at the moment they're showing no signs of moving and Gardaí are marshalling them pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Read the post

It was nothing to do with emergencies. It was about people trying to get to appointments. Plus any video the gobsh** have up shows no place to let an emergency in/out.

I would like an apology but I doubt I will get one

The People Of Ireland Against Fuel Prices Protest will there be allowances for the people with hospital appointments for treatments that cannot be rescheduled or missed?

Allowing extra time isnt really the best advice as the city will most likely be locked down.(21 people thanked)

Response: what about the last 2 years they had us caged like animals what did you do then about appointments

Response: Conquer and divide,they love that ...Their was plenty of notice given ..Yes lockdown for the whole day and night unfortuntately cant keep everyone happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Shocking stuff really.

As if you wouldn't be under enough pressure heading to a hospital without having to explain yourself to a bunch of truck drivers.

Illegal checkpoints is what they were proposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To avoid Navan you could turn off at Kells and from there go Slane-Drogheda R163.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Everyone against this protest sums up modern Ireland.

Weak, subservient creatures who'd rather just like a few tweets and whinge online about things than actually force the people with the power into doing something about the issues that affect them.

You'll whinge and complain about things on twitter and have a big circlejerk of feeling sorry for yourselves. You may even meet up and hold placards outside the Dail, while Leo and Michael drive in their chauferred cars. But as soon as there's the slightest bit of inconvenience or discomfort caused...you back down and say "it's not on".

You liked the tweets last summer about the Zappone job and you liked the tweets about the Holohan cronyism appointment and you'll like the tweets the next time something similar happens and if you're renting you'll hand over 40% of your wages to an investment fund who our politicians have bent this country over for.

And the worst thing is you'll defend these cronies..."it's a global issue! Nothing government can do!". Government are partly while cars are so expensive here now. They took no action against the cartel like behaviours of insurance companies. They hide behind the EU VAT rules and say we can't do this or that while other EU countries do reduce VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why aren't you out protesting, aren't you an Eamon Ryan despising hard pressed working man motorist type?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some irony given you just posted the biggest whinge on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

This very laughable "protest" reminds me of the guy that had a car insurance protest in 2016 and said "thousands" were going to show up - he estimated he had 6,000-10,000 people coming.

About 20 cars turned up. It was laughable just as this joke of a shower of fools are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The problem is, anytime the people of Ireland try to have a protest its just a day out for the scumb*g brigade who want to start a fight.

Proper protest likes the nurses done a few years ago and brought the city centre to a standstill is how you go against the government. Arranged, planned and done at the weekend.

People are sick of these clowns coming up and blocking up Dublin traffic every couple of months with the latest outrage. Why don't they block up their own villages if they are so upset?

Why would anyone lose a day wages, spend a fortune on fuel, to go in and sit on a road in Dublin blocking traffic and hurting the people you are supposed to be helping. If you are so worried you should head in yourself and do something?

They are blocking the port, truck drivers are blocking the port. Now please tell me which of the idiots came up with that idea? because they have just pi**ed off the truck drivers who they are supposed to represent. You actually couldn't make this up, a 2 year old would come up with a better plan than this shower of clowns

• Advertisement

Why are you such a walkover?

The housing crisis is a global issue too, should our government not do something no?

When you go to visit your granny this week and she can't afford to turn on the heating will you just turn to her and say "sorry granny, you just have to accept it, it's a global issue"?

Dail being on recess makes it the worst timing? Why? The Government are still working. Govt plans to cut levy on energy amid rising costs (rte.ie)

Where you getting this idea that it doesn't affect me? The protest was planned for this week to reduce impact on school runs and plenty of notice was given about this so no excuse for being prepared. What kind of protest gets anywhere if there's no disruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Suits me fine. I'll just go round them on my bicycle and continue on up the cycle lane

They don't block up their local villages because the government couldn't give a toss about them. Rural Ireland has been gutted and government are fine with it.

You have to hit the major cities to make the government take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Was the response from some internet moron, or from the Organisers and page owners??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

We sit a lot lower than places like the US, Japan, Russia and even Germany who all have populations much larger than ours which is the real deciding factor in whether any changes actually make a difference, we sit way down the pecking order no matter what way you dress it so should be the last to act, not the first, nothing we do can't be eaten up larger populations growth if their emissions aren't reduced first.

The missus and the baby are due to get the ferry on Thursday. Hopefully these fuckers are off the road by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is just another extension of the army of whingers and cranks that populate our island. Whatever about their demands, their demand that an elected official, a minister of the state should resign is anti-democratic. You want him to resign or lose his seat? Then get on the ground and vote him out!!

The same idiots probably think they are upholding the true ideals of the men of 1916 or some other $hite they want to guff about.

Also, their demand that petrol goes back to 1.10 euro is hilarious given it was 13 years ago after the crash that petrol was that price. They don't have a bulls notion.

Idiots spawning idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Rural Ireland's population is increasing.

Why do you say it's being gutted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Nonsense Pussyhands, absolute nonsense.

Everyone here will happily support the right to protest, and Ireland has a long history of protests leading to change. Just look at the Water protests a decade ago when huge protests in Dublin, coupled with widespread local protest, and most importantly mass complaints to local TDs lead to a change.

Just because a poorly organised protest arranged by an anonumous Facebook page, that's had declining numbers over it's last 2 protests due to how disorganised it is - and now they show up with massive demands of what they want and what they expect protestors to do - 'Let's all stay for a week til Eamonn Ryan resigns!!!'; doesn't get mass support doesn't make the whole nation licklespittles to Vardakar and Martin. It just means it's a shite protest

Post edited by Patser on

• Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The latest couple of Facebook posts seem to confirm that this is a shower of freemen type dopes rather than anything with credibility.

• Advertisement

You dont depend on Turf, you are too lazy to try and find an alternative.

And lads, you say it just inconveniences people....do you never support a strike so? A doctors strike? Dunnes workers strike? Nurses strike? Why? Sure they're inconveniencing you so they shouldn't do it.

Depends on the context and situation. Unlike you, I weigh up the arguments and go from there. Others just go for a kneejerk reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

That's delightful, perhaps your not aware of what living in rural Ireland entails, perhaps not aware of the cost involving retro fitting a 200 year old house, indeed perhaps not even aware burning oil as damaging as burning solid fuel let alone its cost, if you bothered your arse to look at my previous posts, I also have central heating, which is nowhere near as efficient as my sealed stove. Look out one of windows of your eutopian Home of yours, you might actually see part of the Real World that surrounds it 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

to be fair, you're obviously going to have to spend way more of your income on heating etc. if that's how you choose to live! It's not like people in cities don't struggle either, and we have to live in places a fraction the size of yours beside god knows who. This is why the "Attack on Rural Ireland" narrative annoys me, you have to take the pros and the cons with living in peace and quiet in a big isolated house, while we live in our overpriced shoeboxes in the city.

Didn't see all the bank of Ireland branches closing a few months ago no?

Streets left empty.

Pubs closing en masse.

Yeah rural Ireland is thriving...R360 - Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I know it’s as bad for me as a deep fried Mars Bar, but would it be possible to quote or screenshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The desperation on the Facebook page is getting a bit sad…..

For the future of our kids, get out there and protest for cheaper fossil fuels…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The clowns are too dumb to realise that blocking up their local village would likely have affected TDs more since the Dail is on holidays.

Advertisement