Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭beachhead

Bonkers work on commission.Useful as a guide,then contact your chosen supplier directly.The other comparison sites must be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

On energia the 15% price rise is on the total bill, no rise on standing charges or pso so it’s an average amount of units they are using to get the 15% overall rise in a bill that they advertise - we’ll they said average amount to me but it could be calculated what number of units they are using to get the average 15% rise.

A little misleading as the unit prices are going up 18.2% so a high user using exactly the same units in a 12 month period from 25 April will see their bill rise more than 15% but not more than 18.2% (the rural standing charge of 389 inc vat and pso of 58.57 remain the same).

i have just renewed after a bit of research. As mentioned you can get the bonkers renewal 41% discount deal and €135 cash back if you call energia and mention it to them, they won’t offer it unless you mention bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

Its odd Energia are doing that for existing customers, but no cashback with 41 % discounted rates for new customers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

Yes it’s all a bit odd - I assume they have to pay something to bonkers as well So to renew via bonkers instead of direct they are giving an extra 8% discount, €135 cash back and something to bonkers.

I never noticed the bonkers renewal rate and was complaining on the phone to energia about the 33% and the chap said to me you should really check bonkers, it will be worthwhile - have a look and tell me. I did whilst he was on the phone and he said now you have told me About the bonkers deal I can give you the same deal inc the cash back!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think it's great they're finally doing retention offers, used to be I'd ring up and they'd offer the "best" deal they had which was usually 25% off when they're offering 41% off to new customers

It would be nice if loyalty got rewarded for a change instead of punished

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭digiman

Re Energia, You would be better going for their €225 cash back with 40% discount

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

UK based, but interesting explanation of electricity prices

Gotta say they're really getting screwed in the UK with the price cap hikes this year. I mean it's a nice idea in theory but if they're just going to raise the cap every time fuel costs go up then what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Price cap is a stupid idea and will cause (has already caused) many suppliers to go under.

What should happen is instead that the 12 month contracted period should be a fixed price contract. Not this nonsense of a fixed discount. Whats to stop them raising the base rate to €100/kWh and then giving the discount off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

id imagine the providers just can’t use fixed pricing across the board. They would be massively exposed if their input price went up… current war situation is the very example of it.

the customer, unfortunately has to pay.

if you force fixed 12mth pricing they will simply provide stupid prices which you won’t go for anyway.

what you need is lots of competition.

• Advertisement

I agree but the only way they'd be able to fix prices would be to overinflate them to hedge against any increases (as in overinflating more than they currently do)

I don't have much regard for Irish energy suppliers, but in their defence they're not entirely the cause of current fuel prices

Yeah, we're all going to bear the cost of the recent energy price hikes, but it would be nice to see the powers that be do a bit more to take the burden off of consumers

The EU seems to be doing it's usual job of trying to protect market stability (which is basically it's purpose) but there needs to be a bit of acceptance that the stability train left the tracks a long time ago

I mean, would it really be so bad to basically pay for the scaling up of production of wind turbines, solar panels, batteries and pumped storage across the continent? The EU could basically pay for the construction of the required means of production, guarantee a minimum energy prices for several years for renewables to make them pay off quickly, and invest in more interconnection of the national grids

Yes, it's an enormous market intervention that goes against the free market principles. But like I said, the concept of letting the market balance itself out just isn't going to happen anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Energy security should not be a free market gift though. Surely this is exactly the type of thing the member states should be pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I mean, what is going to happen (and if you follow the PV group on facebook is already happening), is that those that have disposable income and thus would be less affected by increasing energy prices are investing in solar and storage. The ones that do not have access to this, lower income households etc, are stuck with the 100% dependancy on energy company pricing. I dont think its right that you can be locked into a contact but the other side of the conttract can change pricing.

I also agree that this is not really much to do with Irish energy companies. However this is where we are missing a chance to step in. Instead of spending millions giving everyone a 200 quid credit which a lot of us - myself included - didnt really need, we should be investing in renewables and storage. Plenty of wind energy off the west coast. Plenty of land no one wants to live on for solar. We could balance out peak demand and lower generation requirements. This price spike should push better choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can I only thank that post once? Couldn't agree more. The €200 off the bill is a disgrace of a knee jerk populism reaction. Instead get building those very large wind generators asap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Have you heard what they are doing in England?

200 pound "loan" off your bill... That's paid back as a levy over the next few bills.. from everyone's bill.

It's really just a negative levy that they take back.

But yeah people who can are either getting solar or doubling down on solar/storage. Myself included.

I disagree to a certain extent, there are many who really desperately needed that credit, i am not one of them, but thats beside the point. There are many households have been hit with rising inflation everywhere, including energy, it would have been inequitable to do nothing for the short term.

Building those wind turbines takes several months/years, planning , construction, installation, there is no magic wand here, its a little bit like the housing crisis. That credit fills, albeit to a tiny extent, a gap, for those households who need it, and just like the PUP, many did not. But to get it out there quickly, thats the only choice.

If SF were in power, they would be giving a grand of a credit. They go on about a vat rate cut to energy bills, knowing full well, there are strict EU restrictions on this- now thats populism.

At least the Greens are in government continuing to push that agenda, if they were not, we’d be much further back down the road.

Yeah I agree that something had to be done in the short term to relieve the shock of price increases

There is a limit in how quickly wind turbines can be built, even if all the other roadblocks were removed. And we definitely have no shortage of roadblocks in this country 😬

Hence my earlier comments about the EU investing in the means of production for renewables, as much as investing in the generators themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

I am with Electric Ireland 20 years DG1 customer.

Standing charge 40c a day and 17c a unit approx. No day or night rate no smart meter.

Getting an elctric car soon so I am confused about to move or stay with all the new price increases, anyone in the same situation?

A lot depends on your mileage, that will feed into how much electricity you'll consume for the car and whether it makes sense then to get a night meter

The penalty of a night meter is a higher day rate and standing charge. You can move some of your other consumption to the night rate to take advantage of the lower price as well

You'll also want to figure out your annual consumption without the EV. You can get this from 2 bills spaced about a year apart from the meter readings section

Basically take that, add in your EV consumption and that's your expected usage. Put that into a comparison website like bonkers and it'll tell you your expected bill

• Advertisement

I would say 25,000 km a year in the car, charging 5-6 times a month @52kwh, so 300kwh a month on the EV.

All the plans on bonkers look great but I know increases are on the way for some.

After looking at our ESB bills we use about 5,000 kwh a year, we are also looking at 8kw solar system with battery and eddi we have another thread on that.

Definitely worth considering a night meter in that case, you'd probably save enough on the night rate to justify the higher day rate

If you end up getting a battery, you can potentially charge it from the grid at night. This can help you offset some of the increased consumption in winter when your solar isn't generating as much

Yea with a 5kw battery I wouldn't need to use day rate at all. My current standing charge is €146 a year.

The day/night meter unit rates with Electric Ireland are:

18.52 cent per unit (day),

9.15 cent per unit (night).

VAT @13.5% included.

The standing charge for a day/night meter is €218.23 per year (urban).

Electric Ireland will increase residential electricity prices by 23.4 per cent from May 1st.

The plans on bonkers look great but increases are on the way for most.

Bonkers actually take the upcoming price increases into account, you can see them if you click the "show calculations" button on a particular plan

Of course they only consider the price hikes that have been announced, there's probably more on the way

I am paying about 1,000 euro a year for electricity, 5,000 kwh @17.74 + standing charge

All of the offers on bonkers are higher than this and there telling me I will save money by switching to a 1300 euro estimate.

But as you pointed out, the prices are going up soon, so you'll be paying more than €1000 for the house consumption

The website shows all the calculations, so if there's something wrong it should be there to spot

To be fair I think EI is the cheapest at the moment, assuming they don't raise prices any further

Has anyone seen better than these Day/Night meter prices ? , standing charge is higher than Energia, but EI has lower unit rates, a little better overall, on my usage, the Energia retention deal is better but i am not an existing customer.

Ex Vat, 20.39 & 10.06 with EI from May 1st:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What the link to that plan.

We got a smart meter and now want to change back to day/night.

We have an EV which we charge at night, nut the EV plans have outrageous unit prices for all other usage, especially daytime.

Electric Ireland told us on the phone we could get a day/night meter installed now. I dont get how they cant read the hours of day night from a smart meter though. Probaly something to do with the fact they said it would cost us €200 if we ever wanted to go back to a smart meter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

I'm in the same boat.

Got a smart meter pretty much forced upon me without really knowing much about it. Turns out the pricing plans are sh1t.

Might go to a day/night meter now if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Advertisement