Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

I do like Paul’s trip reports and he seems like a very nice guy and not in your face like some of the people that do trip reposts. However he does walk around with a go pro on a stick kind of thing and you can see in other trip reports the crew/ passengers which is against EI policy. The policy does state images/videos personal to the passenger are permitted so if he chose to just video the seat, food, out the window and himself that would be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Legal or Illegal, I hope the Aer Lingus Social team are not in breach of company policy when it comes to IRFU filiming on baord and they got such premission from passegners...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Here is a US blogger who recently flew with Aer Lingus;

https://youtu.be/5g1e59Gk3Rw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Jeb complied fully with the T&C's. The wording was read out word for word on my flight.

Walking on to the aircraft with a selfie stick or a go pro attached to you is going to get you into trouble and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Fair play to EI for enforcing their policy correctly,and sometimes sternly. People who choose not to listen to the instructions are often the ones who feel most aggrieved when talked to directly about their choices.

EI are not alone in that policy of no videoing. On recent internal Scandinavian flights with both SAS and Norwegian, the no videoing statement was part of the safety brief.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I head that some passengers went “Facebook live” using the onboard WiFi showing crew dealing with a very sick/seriously ill passenger on an aer lingus flight. Hence the strict enforcement of the policy.

Sorry for the trip report addicts but it’s likely this policy will be industry wide …

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I was on a recent KLM AMS-DUB flight where the crew announced it is illegal (in the NL) to photo or film someone without their permission, not sure if they announce it on every flight but seems to be the way the industry is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Noxegon

This page might be useful. If it's up-to-date, then no permission is required to take a photograph of someone under NL law.

KLM could put this in their terms if they wanted to mind.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

But of course any private company can add their own policy to the T&C’s should the see a justifiable need!? Can’t they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Elsewhere, the same blogger has since travelled long haul with United and Lufthansa in business class, and from the pictures and commentary, Aer Lingus appears to have been the best airline in terms of meals and maybe even hard product.

Lufthansa on FRA-DXB had very similar meal presentation, quality and quantity but the seat was at least a generation behind Aer Lingus. With United on SFO-FRA, the meals were very poor and looked more like a mid-haul offering from BA in Club Europe. The seat was maybe half a generation ahead of Aer Lingus.

I think there’s a misconception, certainly within aviation circles, that Aer Lingus is of lower standard than its legacy rivals on long haul but to me it looks on par or even ahead of some big hitters from both sides of the Atlantic. Credit where it’s due I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Polaris lounge would be night and day to what EI would offer and that's an important component of long haul J.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Not looking good for ei cvc keeps cancelling the test flight think it's 5 times this week its been cancelled

But well able to operate DL1 according to FR24......😅

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Ireland trains

Aer lingus saying on Twitter that they hope Minneapolis will be added to their schedule ‘soon’.

Also in relation to Hartford they said that their ‘planning team are reviewing all routes at the moment’.

And sorry if it’s been discussed previously but have Aer Lingus said they’re not putting their A332s back into service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I can only see BDL back if the Connecticut State offer a competitive scheme to support the route to build up to the previous daily operation. In relation to the A332's anything can happen certainly with demand, SFO is generating huge demand this Summer, EI may increase from 7 to 10 weekly.

I don't see MSP returning until the XLR becomes available, the A330 is simply too big in Winter.

When is the first XLR due?

I can see a return to BDL at some point but it will need a few things to fall into place first. The airport and local government are desperate to reinstate a transatlantic service.

I believe BDL was a decent performer by the time the pandemic came around, it certainly wasn’t the weakest in terms of average fare, even with a relatively short stage length so along with the added incentives it must have been good earner.

Aer Lingus will likely want a completely new incentive deal and revenue guarantees, lasting a number of years before they consider relaunch. BDL have already pumped a lot of money into it, they’ll be reluctant to start from scratch so some tough negotiating is likely.

Aer Lingus also need more narrowbody aircraft, at the moment that doesn’t seem likely in decent numbers until 2024 and beyond. They could free up some with more A330s of course, up-gauging the IAD and YYZ routes for example. There’s also the future of Aer Lingus UK to consider, if it continues to grow it’ll require that second A321LR but if it’s scrapped, that’ll free up 3 aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 coupons1987

How does the Aer Lingus fleet compare to summer 2019 is it down many frames or is the difference made up by a321lr frames ? They lost 3 a321s did many a320s leave the fleet ?

As far as I’m aware, these are the aircraft that have left the fleet since 2019;

3 A320: EI-DEA, EI-DEB, EI-DEC

3 A321: EI-CPE, EI-CPG, EI-CPH

2 A332: EI-EWR, EI-LAX

Total: 8*

*Another 3 A332 remain in storage, EI-GEY, EI-DAA and EI-DUO, it’s unclear whether they will return to the fleet or not.

Speculative Total: 11

Since the end of the peak summer 2019 schedule they’ve added the following aircraft to the fleet;

7 A321LR: EI-LRB, EI-LRC, EI-LRD, EI-LRE, EI-LRF, EI-LRG, G-EIRH

(EI-LRA had already been delivered for the peak summer 2019 schedule)

4 A333: EI-EIN, EI-EIM, EI-EIK, EI-EIL

Total: 11

So overall the actual total fleet number is the same, if we include the speculative loss of all 5 A332s, or a gain of 3 over summer 2019 if they return.

Now since 2019 we’ve seen the creation of Aer Lingus UK which has taken on 3 aircraft but this remains within the group operations.

They are also down the 3x ASL 757s from 2019 although they were scheduled for replacement by A321LR's anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

I assume the XLRs will start arriving from end of 2023 for 2024 use? Good time to buy some a330neos for future replacement too... AirAisaX (the airline that pretty much forced Airbus to build it) has cancelled 60+ as part of their reorganization. For the routes EI fly the neos seem comparably efficient to the a350s for the 7-9hr flights.

Update: Leeham News says Airbus may already have customers for the cancelled frames... IAG maybe? Time will tell.

Post edited by sherology on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The LR's do a lot more flying than the 757's they replaced

I think the 757's only did 1 trip to LGW in all time EI had them, whereas the LR's will typically do one short haul + one long haul several days a week

A330-300 operating costs are only slightly above the A330-200 but you get a lot more seats and hold space so if you can make the load factors work -300 is the way to go.

What's the story with the fleet repaints taking so long? It has to be the slowest rebrand in airline history. Its over 3 years since the rebrand and I Count only 10 out of 41 aircraft in the fleet that wore the old livery that have been repainted to date, ignoring the rugby/retro livery aircraft. The remainder were delivered to the airline already wearing the new livery. Surely they could have used the time the A333s were in storage to repaint them.

Just a Global pandemic and country with the most stringent travel restrictions would make u see why repaints wasnt a priority for EI.

Loosing money daily and repainting aircraft at the same time isnt a good match.

Do you honestly feel this should have been a priority during the past two years….. yes staff are on the COVID payment…. let’s spend millions painting planes that aren’t even in use….

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Wasn't one of them retired late 2018/early 2019? LBT perhaps? (guessing as I have a bag tag made from her skin that I bought in early 2020).

Yep I think one was retired about 6 months before the others, 3 were pratt engined and one was RR. Last flight was in the initial month or two of the pandemic.

Duplicate

• Advertisement

LBR retired end of Oct 2019. LBS followed closely after in November 2019. LBT retired January 2020 and CJX retired earlier than planned in March 2020 because of the pandemic. They all positioned to SNN do end of lease and then onto the USA.

There was a delay in delivering the NEO so none retired before then. There was a gap between LRA & LRB arriving. They arrived in Jul 2019 and Sept 2019 respectively so the 757 stayed on.

Advertisement