Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I was reading somewhere that it looked like Pep had them targeting Fab and Robertson. Not letting them play their game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My memories of Gini in the last 12 months were not 10/10 type performances.

I thiought he was distinctly average in a lot of games, several 5 and 6 out of 10 type performances.

He wanted the money and has now realised the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Some folks have rose tinted glasses when remembering him.

He wasn't the secret missing part of the jigsaw, I really liked him as a player but he's gone.

Well gone at this stage.

I'm sure the midfield is going to get freshened up during the summer. A few coming in and a few going out I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

With regard to Gini, I agree with you that he wasn’t always on top of his game. But I think some of the reasons for the rose tinted glasses is from looking at our constantly injured midfield early this season and Gini just didn’t seem to get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He's top notch, and a little chubby giving us all hope 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gini poor games where mostly against sides that parked the bus but exceled in game like the City one where loads of donkey work was required ,

He best attribute was cutting off passing channels and recycling the ball ,His engine & the fact he was not only pacey but a strong runner was perfect for City games,

Not calling for Gini himself but that we should sign someone with his attributes for game where we may not have most of the ball ,

Walker is there version of Gini in this fixture ,not fantastic in every game but his attributes are perfect for fixture, Over the years the amount of times his pace & power bails them out against our front 3 is crazy, Although he did go to sleep for Mane's goal ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

The frustrating thing i found with yesterday is i was excited to see how the midfield of Hendo, Thiago and Fab would get on. Its our strongest midfield IMO and I really thought they would get a lot of joy against city but they were completely overran - it didn't help Fab had probably his worst game for us yesterday.

We really were second best for most of the game so we're lucky to get the point i suppose and as others have said who knows what may happen in the coming weeks.

Its very hard to tell if it was the midfields fault ,

I said it a few time VVD started terribly and his nervous energy spread to the keeper and back 4 , So they gave out midfield no help & no options also as good as Jota is i was so surprised that Firmino didn't start to add that extra midfielder when needed

As some else mentioned i think maybe Klopp even got the tactics wrong Hendo & Thaigo where pushed on much further than usual & it left a lot of space for Fab to cover maybe something Pep seen coming & why he had KDB pushed furthest forward of his 3 ,

I think instead of just the midfield being over run there was major issues all over & a lack of composure ,

Honestly i couldn't believe what i was seeing us in the first half & even when there was no pressure or City didn't press, We where a shambles all over ,

We all know when the other team are playing a blinder but so much of the first half was self inflicted ,

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Love to see us have a right tilt at getting Bellingham in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d be willing to bet we’d have no issue agreeing a contract with Bellingham. It’s Dortmund’s valuation that worries me, I can’t see FSG being able to meet their asking price despite the fact that Bellingham is likely a starter for 10+ years, or fewer but with enormous resale value.

At the same time, Sancho was also meant to be a slam dunk of a transfer and he looked amazing at Dortmund too. I do think Jude is the more talented and driven of the two but I could see the possibility of FSG steering clear of him sadly.

We’re just as likely to sign a much lesser known midfielder a bit older than him and at a much lower price, who becomes twice the player he ever will be though. That’s the Liverpool way. 😁

Let’s not forget what a prospect Delli Ali looked a few years ago. I wouldn’t bet the house on an 18 yr old, they all don’t turn out to be Messi’s, Ronaldos or even Rooneys. Owen was a star at 18, finished as a top tier player by his mid 20s, so I’d let Bellingham develop for a few more years before paying the type of money reportedly being asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The most frustrating thing for me is we outplayed them for both our goals, brilliant, accurate passing. Their 2 goals were a long range deflected shot and a marginal onside. Salah pass to Mane sheer quality and Thiago, out to Trent, then Robbo to Trent for Jota goal pure class. Play to our ability and they won't live with us Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

That's been a bit generous, City completely outplayed us for vast periods of that game and no one here could argue if they had put 3/4 past us in the first half alone. You make it sound like they just nicked 2 goals due to luck and timing! They could have had 6 and looked extremely dangerous every time they has possession in our half. A draw was a great result for us on reflection.

Though it is fantastic to have a fit squad, I thought the team looked tired, which of course is understandable. Our midfield just didn’t get to grips with de Breyne and Silva, they were second best throughout the match. With the slickness of City’s passing, younger legs may have been needed, I’d like to have see Keita on a bit earlier. Salah, Mane and even Jota didn’t look their usual sprightly selves, Mo must be running on fumes at the moment. I would rest Mo, Mane, Thiago, Fabinho, Robertson and Virgil this weekend. They need to be at their sharpest for the league/CL run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

City were fantastic, I'm not downplaying that but like you've pointed out they aren't clinical they couldn't put it to bed. Goals are what win a game and atleast one of there's was fairly fortunate. I'm really pointing out, the couple times we did put a few passes together we scored, we can take alot from that for Saturday, be a bit more brave and direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It should not be over looked how good Matip was yesterday and all season!

VVD always gets all Plaudits however Matip has been the better CB this season for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s a pity there hasn’t been much word of Jota since yesterday. Once again, and in the biggest of games, he’s in the right place at the right time and delivers with all the pressure on, as he pretty much always does.

If someone whose never watched him asked me about him, I couldn’t even really describe him as a player, he doesn’t look like he does anything at a world class level on the ball, but he just has that knack for scoring goals. Even the last great pure striker (traditional centre forward, like, not goal machine wingers which we’ve become accustomed to) we had in Sturridge relied a lot more on talent and pace (until he lost it) to score his goals, but you could see Jota scoring the same type of goals at 35 as he is now.

That’s not to say he isn’t talented or quick, but he’s a real throwback to what strikers used to be and it goes to show that the art of positioning and timing can still be as dangerous as ever. I’ve seen one or two in here compare him to Fowler and I think that’s spot on, he’s just a slightly poorer finisher but maybe a more skilful player on the ball than God was. And he does half his work from the left wing too, despite the fact that he’s so clearly a centre forward by nature, he can still be dangerous from the wing in a much different way than Mane or Salah would be.

We’re going to see Jota start every big game from now on I feel, it was obvious he’d get the start against City after being rested against Benfica so it goes to show how highly thought of he really is by the management. I’ve never been so impressed by a Liverpool forward who looks so unimpressive to the eye, if that makes sense. There’s almost no style to the lad at all, but he’s so ruthlessly effective and clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

City were fantastic yesterday. Even the games we've won against them in recent years, they have been the better side for large periods.

Pep set them up perfectly to neutralise our threat, we have not experienced pressure on the ball like that (coupled with slick, incisive passing) since the Real Madrid game last season.

In situations like that there is hesitation in the press. Pep ticked every box in terms of mitigating risk, he knows our team/set up inside out, really really good teams can make us look silly, and fortunately there are not too many of them in last few years.

Even dropping Kyle Walker back to cover was a good move given his pace. We struggle when opposition are incisive in their passing and able to move us around. We lack athleticism and pace in the midfield.

Saying all that, we drew 2-2. Title is definitely not over, I can see us winning all 7 games, problem is I can see City doing the same. We are both that much further ahead. But unfortunately, they are just that little bit better (as they should be given their riches).

That City team is probably a Haaland or Kane away from being unbeatable in the league. Absolute machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Looking at the fixtures apart from weekend April 23rd Liverpool will be playing first each time. Man City have yet to find a date for Wolves (a) so as it stands Liverpool will go a game ahead when they play Villa on May 10th. Plus one team will find an away game to squeeze in between the cup final and that final Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I need to watch it again but I was screaming at the telly first half to just play the simple pass and keep possession. We always seemed to look instantly for the risky forward pass early to try catch them on the hop and we kept losing it as a result. The three times we actually got the ball down and popped it around a bit we cut through them with ease and scored twice. The third time I think led to a great chance for Jota too.

Klopp mentioned afterwards he had given the Same instructions before hand and at half time and that was to keep it simple with the passing but obviously the players couldn't manage it given the pressure they were under from City. It'll be very interesting to see if we can do more of that on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We always play out , even when City did their own pressing, its just what we do, and what they do at the other end. I never thought we'd be so high there though, I expected us to out smart them, drop deep, keep ball, and hit them time and time again with our ability to break faster than anyone else in the league. Was it brave or reckless to play so high in such circumstances.

Matip was the one less brave than anyone else, he seemed to be forever 4 foot deeper than VVD, and the one always playing them onside. We usually keep a straight line, but Matip could not bring himself to trust in the process in such circumstance, he always wanted a yard head start, rather than trusting in the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Michael Oliver referee for Saturday. Darren England on VAR.

Martin Atkinson ref for Utd game. Our friend Tierney doing VAR

If Matip got out for the second, it would have been off. Had the ref not allowed a rolling ball freekick to be taking 10 ft from where the offense took place whle talking to two Liverpool players it would have been no goal.

Mane fought for the ball before that free kick was taken, he lost the battle, but he then should have stood in front of the ball, was so silly to just walk away.

I was shocked at the time that Klopp and the players didn't lose the head about that rolling ball free kick that was taken a mile away from the place the foul happened. Had they kicked up a fuss VAR would have had to look at it, it was very clear and obvious error.

Was ball moving, yes

Was it where foul happened , no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think the League is probably over. If we do it from here, I truly believe we'll have won every game, and West Ham or Wolves will have somehow gotten a scabby draw against City somehow. That's the only scenario where I can see us doing it.

But it's amazing we've made it the race it is.

Thank Christ for Klopp. The Premier League would've been more of a procession than any other league in Europe without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

for the love of god diogo....pass that fckin ball .... .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Winner of the Slowest Stream award I reckon !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

You really need to stop making stuff up. Watch the video, there's no sign that the ball was moving when the free kick was taken, the City player actually put his hand on the ball to make sure it was stopped and then took the free kick. Yes it was possibly 10ft away from the foul but those 10 ft were further AWAY from our goal and there's no evidence whatsoever that the ref was "talking" to the two Liverpool players, he was just listening to them moaning about the free kick, big big difference.

You're clutching at straw's and need to get over it. City reacted quickly, we didn't and were rightly punished, end of.

All teams take indirect free kicks and throw in's from locations that aren't exactly where the foul was made or the ball crossed the side line, there's a long history of ref's allowing some latitude to the team with the free / throw in. Can you imagine the uproar if the game was stopped every time an indirect free kick or throw in was taken anywhere but at the spot where the offence occurred, particularly where the team with the free kick / throw in took it 10 feet closer to their own goal than where the offence occurred or that free kicks couldn't be taken until the players moaning about the free being given had stopped their moaning?

At least you're no longer arguing the ref also let them take the free without blowing his whistle first 🤐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Surely City is already close to unbeatable? The only reason why they have not won 4 out of 4 and 5 out of 5 this year is because we are not letting them. Pep is a great coach, add in unlimited money and you get an almost unbeatable team. They are so difficult to stop over 38 games.

I do think if they add a striker like Haaland or Kane it doesn't automatically mean they will be better as it means they needs to change the way they play. Their current players are all small stature and so technical, not sure if those 2 players fit the bill.

I think we should not overlook the reason we struggled was because City was brilliant with their press in the 1st half. But the interesting thing is they cannot sustain it for more than I would say about 40 minutes. They took their foot off the pedal after their 1st goal and then again after halftime as it is not possible to sustain it. They have no rest now until almost the end of the season as well so we will see how their squad copes with this. I am more looking at the midfield when mentioning this.

• Advertisement

Any actual video evidence that the ball was rolling when the free kick was taken?

Perhaps there's a reason Klopp and the players didn't lose the head or that any of the pundits / commentators on Sky or BBC didn't spot it and make a big issue of it during their post match analysis? Could it possibly be that the ball wasn't actually moving????

True but I also think City / Pep wouldn't have had to perform like they've been forced to without Klopp getting such a tune out of LFC and would therefore just have pi$$ed the league in 3rd gear without getting close to the # of points and performances they've had to deliver as a result of Klopp / LFC putting that pressure on them.

99 times out of a 100 the ref will call back a quick free kick that is close to the box if he is has not seen the kick being taken. We can't see from the video but it looks before the camera cut away he was not watching the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I actually though at the time it was too quick, so I looked at the replay and while it was from the wrong place, the ball wasn't moving. We should have been awake for it, were caught out, simple as that. We turned out back on the ball, Fab and at least one other, which is a basic error.

Suck it up lads

The ball was not moving, the olayer that took ot put hos hand down and stopped it so it was still

Also they always seem to let you away, with moving the vall of its further back that u go

This is the moment the free kick was taken.

1. The ref is not looking away from the free kick, he can clearly see it in his line of vision hence he didn't call it back for not having seen it taken.
    2. Where the free kick is taken from is closer to the half way line than it is the box.

Going by that pic it looks like he is looking at and speaking to Henderson and not looking at the ball, but it is hard to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As I alluded to earlier, not 2 but 3 midfielders not looking at the ball and bitching at the referee.... Amateur stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Simply fantastic to be heading into mid April with a trophy and still in with a shout of 3 more.

Yes, in the first half City could have been 3/4-1 up but that is often their problem, not taking the chances and we stayed in the game.

They play AM on Wednesday, really tough place to go and things in football can change quickly, a loss or an injury to KDB who is an immense player changes things. For the first time since Klopp has been here, he has a full squad with great depth in quality - yesterday we had Firmino, Diaz, Keita, Konate, Tsimikas on the bench.

Whatever happens this year, we will be in the running for all competitions again next year.

If you look at the video the pic is from you'll see he doesn't speak to either Hendo or Fab and that whilst he isn't looking directly at the ball it is well within his range of vision, hence he was content to allow the quick free kick to the fouled team rather than blow up for the free kick to be re taken because either the ball was moving (which there's no evidence of) or he didn't see the free kick being taken.

Good refereeing as far as I'm concerned albeit it was against us.

If the ref had been talking to Hendo / Fab or the ball was moving when the free kick was taken the players (that were paying attention instead of moaning), Klopp and the coaching staff would be going mental and the pundits who are always looking for an angle to create talking points / contraversy would have been hopping up and down over it but none of them were, because it didn't happen!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mane was the other one who turned his back.

He was having a little moan about the free kick being given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

From the picture, Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Mane, Jota and Matip all not looking at the ball.

The only person switched on is KDB arms out calling for it while TAA is standing with his hands on his hips in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Can't see them getting anything off them without Traore unfortunately. He was the one that hurt them the most on the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Took a soft penalty for city to get a win over wolves earlier in the season and they have quality which can be used on the counter attack.

If Liverpool win all remaining games then all is needed is one slip up from city anything more is unlikely so just do our own thing and enjoy the wild ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I see a lot of people putting a positive spin on the weekend's game but let's be honest - it was a huge opportunity missed. We have done incredibly well to get back into this title race and this game was our one opportunity to really take the bull by the horns. The most disappointing thing is that City played near their best, but we were far from ours. This is a trend that has been ongoing for much of the year. We have very rarely hit top gear, despite an incredible run of results.

On the balance of the game itself, a point is a great result. We were second best for the majority of the game. The first half was terrible, the second half much better. But over the course of the game we really lacked intensity and cutting edge upfront. We lost the midfield battle. Henderson was anonymous, and Fabiniho had one of his worst games in a Liverpool shirt. Thiago was good when he got on the ball, but it didn't happen often enough.

City have an easy run-in, although they have been dropping points recently (7 in last 7). We have to hope that continues, and that we keep picking up maximum points from a tricky run of games. I'm not optimistic, but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I agree with most of what you post, but I don't think we need to forget this City side is very good. They make you play badly with their pressing and their general play. It is how under Rafa pundits used to lament how we would win but the other team was not at their best. The reason was we didn't allow them to play their best.

It's the same with City. They don't allow you to be at your best unless your game plan is a counter attacking style. They may not have renowned defensive midfielders in the first choice 11 right now, but it doesn't mean that Rodri and Silva isn't good at pressing and stopping you from playing. I mean players like Fernandino a few years ago or Fabinho now or Kante. Players that dominate defensively that you marvel at.

Another thing for me that makes this so impressive, it is very hard to plan against. On Saturday we may face City with Silva in the front 3 and another player holding. The less time the opposition has to plan for what you offer the better it is for you. It is what makes our options up front so impressive. We can have 4 of 5 different combinations and if the opposition hasn't seen it or thought about it then it may create chaos that we can benefit from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Oh, for sure. This City team is incredible. And we always have to remember that we will always be underdogs against them, due to their limitless finances. The fact that we even manage to compete is a huge credit to Klopp and the club. But if both teams play at their best I would still back us to win. The disappointing thing for me is that we were nowhere near our best. Their key players (KDB for example) shone and ours, for the most part, didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement