Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

i don't like to boast but i beat rykard , the sword at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I cheesed commander Niall earlier in the cheesiest way possible, it's so bad the developers have to have put it in on purpose. I make no apologies for it. I used four of those damn branches unsuccessfully beforehand. The fcuking wall I had to hop on to cheese him killed me twice. A wall!!!!! Well the fall from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

heh, if it works then it is fair game as far as we concern aha.

The bewitching branch? You are supposed to poke/dagger the enemy then use branch (something along that line in the item description). I only used the branch once when i needed it to solve the tower puzzle.

So ya played abit over the weeekend, finished Mohg story (at 2 locations) but havent gone down to see the fingers, and then i did something horrible to dung eater (and fare well to our prawn bro :'( ). So ya if Seluvis dead then you wont be able to give him the potion (therefore cant get dung eater ash). I am just going to finish his quest 'normal' this time - so I'll need to get his armor+ash (for sure ash in NG+).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think I'm on the last boss

Radagon and then Elden Beast. R isn't too bad, Beast is a bollox though. Can get it down to half health before i run out of all consumables. This is gonna take a while, might even need a summon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the first part of the fight is tough but fair, part two has some nasty tricks.

There is a way to stun the Elden Beast, which seems to involve hitting the 'scar' on his belly. It seems quite inconsistent and even getting in close for some clean hits is easier said than done. But if you pull it off you have a good 15-20 seconds to just attack away.

No shame whatsoever summoning for that fight though - solo you're liable to get hit with a long combo of homing projectiles and then the ground shockwaves you have to jump over, which is cheap as hell. Much easier to avoid when you have another player taking some of the aggro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the second part of the fight is tough.

Elden Beast's attacks hit hard, but for the most part are still mostly quite easy to avoid. The trouble is the f*cker does not stay still and regularly just f*cks off to the other side of the arena, which all just means even though his attacks are easy enough to avoid, you have to avoid a hell of a lot of them, making it more likely they'll hit you. Then you get a few small hits in and he f*cks off again. The spot on his belly is his weak point and can stagger him a bit, but he takes a lot of hits to go down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I made it to the capital last night. Such a huge area with so many paths to take and explore. Really highlights that From are on another level when it comes to making interesting places to explore. Left it there as I'd played too much and was too tired from drinking like a champion all weekend. Might take a little break as I played way too much yesterday while hung over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If I was to give you any advice it would be to try and hold off using your summon to the second stage. with a bit of practice the first stage can be done very quickly. Also make sure to do a ranged summon, a melee summon is practically useless against stage two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's mad watching some top-tier players do perfect runs of bosses. Saw one of the Elden Beast where the player just ran in at the start, did a few Moonveil Katana hits, staggered him, and unleashed a long flurry of Meteorite of Astel (with a flask) for a clean 30-second kill. I, in theory, have all the tools and the build to do that but as soon as I run in the camera goes wild, the beast starts flailing all round the place, everything turns to chaos and I can't get clean hits in!

To me things like that are more impressive than people glitching. Distortion2 has now posted a sub 9-minute run using the zip glitch thing. In a way it's impressive, but at the same time, what's the f*cking point?

• Advertisement

Ah lads, found a glitch on part one,

ran straight up to him to do my twin of blood move with the spear and he stood and took it. Tried another 5-6 times and he only attacked me once. I googled it and it's a glitch of you run up beside him and don't attack him, he stands still and doesn't react to the spear skill. Then i have my summon and health flasks in tact for 2nd part. 2nd is so bad, i don't mind cheesing the 1st

Yeah I ended up using that too. I beat him a good few times legit with about half flasks and most of Mimic health left over, but I felt the second phase was just that much of a pain that I just accepted cheesing the first phase.

EB can absolutely get in the bin. Actually leaving a sour taste in my mouth if this is the last boss. Just want to get it over with now.

PAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNNN

And he's done! I've no idea what happened but he just stopped attacking and moving around so i spammed rain of blood til he died. Absolutely cheesed it i don't care.

Epic epic epic game. Finished at level 126 at 70 hours.

I got the Ranni ending I think.

There was a person maybe slumped over but there was a sign to summon Ranni so i did. Cue cutscene and then credits. I have no idea what happened, will have to look it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My own pig-headed stubbornness was well shown up with messages around Castle Sol. I was exploring around the perimeter of the castle, going right around the back looking for items.

I saw a message saying "No item ahead" but thought they might be lying. I saw another message saying "Dead end" and ignored it again. I got right around to the back of the castle to discover absolutely nothing with a message saying "If only I had a listen carefully".

I love moments like that in these games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I came across two very funny ones,

the first was in by fia , the deathbed companion, and it said 'try two handing', and a ghost outline then appeared to grab the crotches on the two suits of armor that are on display.

the other was behind a merchants donkey, and said 'try finger, but hole', with a perfectly aligned pointing emote so that the tip of the finger found its mark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How the feck are you all beating this in 70 hours?

I spent all afternoon and night getting through the capital and sewer systems. What an insanely big dungeon that is. Off to the fire mountains I guess. Still have to go back to volcano manner and the area beneath the capital and found some area called the forbidden land.

People aren't joking about how the map never stops getting bigger.

BTW, which tower is for Morgott's Rune? I've two towers I can get to and both are locked.

It's the tower to right of the erdtree, in the Forbidden Lands area, accessed from the Capital walls.

• Advertisement

Ah ok. I stopped when I got to the forbidden lands last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

So I'm having an issue with this game, before I bought it I knew what to expect (having completed the first couple of Souls games) but I have never been a fan of open world as they seem tedious and have a lot of time wasting (I understand loads of people like this, not me)

I've killed a few bosses and have got a few levels up, think I'm around 40 or something but I'm just finding the exploration / grinding boring and frustrating. And the open world allows you to wander around a LOT but you will inevitably end up way out of your depth and getting massacred at the drop of a hat.

For instance last night, did a couple of hours went up a few levels, got smashed by a couple of bosses (underpowered) and then carried on wandering around. And this is what I'm doing more and more... boring wandering around... getting killed then more wandering.

The trouble is really like the idea of the game and as mentioned I have history with the souls games... If I decide I can't be arsed I'll be disappointed.

There's kind of a natural progression at the start of the game. Limgrave, stormveil. Then head south to weeping penninsula before taking on Liurnia of the lakes and then Caelid. If you follow that you should be alright. There's going to be tough areas and bosses and really if you are having trouble, put down and marker and comeback later rather than stressing about it.

I found there does come a point when the game becomes a good bit easier.

Also I wouldn't worry about grinding. It takes too long in this game unless you can find some teleporters to some high level areas (there's a nice one in Caelid).

I would say if you're not enjoying the exploration or feel aimless, look up online for where there are catacombs or dungeons in areas you've already been or currently are and try those. It takes the exploration out of it and puts you in more linear sub-areas that you can just focus on the combat/puzzles. Plus it'll help you level up skills and weapons which will then help with the bosses or areas you're stuck on.

But the open world in a way is both a hindrance and a help in that regard. In previous games if you got stuck somewhere, you mostly just had to keep trying and trying until you got past it. Now it's too easy to just leave and go somewhere else, and end up not really progressing.

I'd also note that the back half of the game is far more of a traditional 'Souls' game - the later open-world areas are smaller, and there are a lot more linear (or at least contained) areas to explore. I'd certainly say I spent the bulk of my more 'freeform' exploration time in Limgrave / Weeping Peninsula and the Lakes.

Yeah, and you get more used to being able to read the map and realise "I bet there's a tunnel there" or recognising ruins etc. Takes a lot of the exploration out of it (though stuff along the way can still pique your interest or surprise you).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Melania is killing me, i mean i've struggled with Souls bosses before like Midir and Orphan. But this one, it haunts me.

A lot to be said for the strategy ZeroCool used further up this page. Didn't do it myself, but after seeing his video, really wish I'd thought of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

thats well done, i havent come across using rain of blood and ya you beat it relatively 'low level' lol. I'd say it is abit cheesey but not real cheese ha, you are just using what you have there!

• Advertisement

I love the Lord of Blood build. It took me 5 larva rebirth eggs to get the build just right though :) After clearing the game, i said now i can concentrate on a different game. Stared at my PlayStation xmb for 10 seconds and put on Elden Ring. Went around Limgrave with my sacred spear getting revenge on anyone who wronged me, felt great!

Like Johnny said earlier though, I'm reluctant to start ng+ in case dlc gets released and is found mid to end game. I want to try a dragon faith build though.

Advertisement