Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Was the 5km nonsense there for 7 months? I cant remember. I know I ignored it for the most part.

The way they handled outdoor sports for underage was ludicrous. Impossible to implement too in reality.

If another pandemic came along they would really struggle to get people to abide with silly restrictions.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This. Whether or not he did a good job (and various views on that), he was paid €180k for doing it. So enough of this "he worked tirelessly for the State" nonsense!

Cliona O'Farrelly, Professor of Comparative Immunology & Biochemistry, Trinity College, was interviewed in the media about the new trials Trinity are intending to conduce on how some people get away with not having Covid even though their partners do. Which is well worth while doing.

But she also says- "We should make it clear that a whole lot of people are not becoming infected because they're being super careful. They're to be congratulated and certainly for that to be continued."

She's speaking with one hat. There are many reasons why healthy people in general should not live their lives "being super careful" to avoid what will be non hospital requiring for vast majority. There will be other impacts on their lives of "being super careful" and this "they're to be congratulated" is off the mark imo. Anything other than reasonable precautions and you're forgetting that life is for living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What's up with China locking down again? If they were any good the first time round, it wouldn't have spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

So while complaining about restrictions affecting your own life, you don't want others to do as they see fit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Cliona O’Farrelly is basically finger wagging at people living their lives. She can go and do one as far as I’m concerned with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

She should congratulate me - I’ve avoided it by not being careful in the slightest.

This idea of testing positive being some kind of measure of how well you followed ‘THE RULES’ is so 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Not often I agree with you but this 100%. Thankfully none of the hysterics in media and Twitterati did not get their way or we would be in this forever! The government haven`t a pot to piss in after this. I said in a previous post that what would stop this is a major distraction and unfortunately we got it is that looper in Russia invading Ukraine! I do not see us going ever back into lockdown now after this mess (bar an Ebola like virus), the state of our finances on top of dealing with the unfortunate Ukrainians who have had to flee their homes. The vaccine uptake and Omicron were a game changer. This war I believe has sealed the fate of restrictions and lockdowns! We simply cannot afford them in this country anymore. The invasion has deflected government priorities.

As for China what a disaster and a hell hole of a place. The world reacted based on Chinas initial response as we did not know what we were dealing with at the time. That type of a response has proven to be a sham and will end up more costly in the long term. The virus won out. I see footage in Shanghai of how desperate people are for food because of the response. What a hell hole in the 21st century! We cannot ever allow a response like that again unless we are absolutely sure we have no other options!

I am normally against enquiries but the fact that the virus and our response to it had an enormous impact on everyone we absolutely do need an enquiry in the country to determine what we did wrong but also to show what was done right and develop a proper pandemic response plan for the future. To be honest I am not looking for heads to roll either even though some of the nonsense was irritating. We need a systemic change whereby proper vetting takes place of decisions which have an enormous impact on peoples lives including protection measures, economy and civil liberties instead of some of the nonsense and pissing contests we did see in the last 2 years. No place for politics and Egos in a once in a lifetime event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't read the thread or visit here really anymore but I see you are still banging the same drum about freedoms and restrictions not working despite them actually working, You have provided a shred of evidence to the contrary, the current situation isn't evidence either as well you know. Thinking you are right and being right are two different things. It's quite funny now 😂

• Advertisement

I see that Mathew Taylor , Chief Executive of the NHS Confederation calling for restrictions to be reintroduced in the UK. I wonder if these suits will ever give it up. I have heard he wants to stop people meeting indoors ffs.

I always maintained that the cases would peak and fizzle out with no restrictions in place.

We have actual evidence of that now.

I don't think I'm right. I am right based on data.

Hospital numbers haven't increased and we should see 5 days of further decreases now.

Media, experts and unions back in their boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not really, as far as I can tell. He seems to be calling on the government to not let the possibility of restrictions fall away, to ensure that the plans set out to manage Covid are kept in play rather than just abandoning them and taking a complete return to normal. (Granted, I only skimmed what's being reported)

Remember that he said this before we pillory our own INMO and other commentators - it's not a uniquely Irish position that some call for this. :)

I understand why there is concern. And GG laid it out earlier in the thread. Health services are still struggling to deal with isolation of positive cases and staff absences. They need these to come under control, and from a health perspective, the responsible/appropriate approach is to try and reduce the number of cases in the general population in order to prevent them arriving in hospitals.

The problem is that - responsible as it may be - it cannot work. Omicron is beyond control. China have been locking people into their apartments in Shanghai and testing the entire population every 3 days for Covid, and yet, it's spreading like wildfire. 25% of ALL of China's covid cases have occurred in the last five days.

So it is just not realistic to think that reintroducing minor restrictions like masks into western nations will make a blind bit of difference. We know they don't work anymore. That Omicron is simply better at spreading than we are at stopping it.

So what are health services to do? Ignore Covid unless it is the cause of illness. Which is anathema to health practice, I know. But it's not irresponsible - infection control measures no longer work - outside and inside of hospitals. Isolating asymptomatic patients and absenting asymptomatic staff, is not reducing the spread of covid in hospitals. Therefore, logically if infection control measures are degrading your health service, and they're not actually working, the responsible thing to do is to stop.

Stop doing them so that you can improve the ability of the health service to deliver.

Sometimes the right thing to do is counter-intuitive. If it was discovered that X-ray baggage checks at airport security were actually making it less safe to fly, we would stop doing them. However odd that would feel. Likewise, some of the covid-related infection control measures we are employing in the hospital system are now making hospital systems less safe. People are struggling to get access to important health care. Therefore the responsible thing to do is to fix the infection control measures to focus on what works and what's proportionate.

“”So it is just not realistic to think that reintroducing minor restrictions like masks into western nations will make a blind bit of difference. We know they don't work anymore. That Omicron is simply better at spreading than we are at stopping it.””

It’s a pity that some just don’t or want to get this.

Taylor is calling for measures:

"We do not have a 'Living with Covid' plan, we have a 'Living without Restrictions' ideology," says Matthew Taylor (@FRSAMatthew) on @BBCBreakfast this morning.

"We need to put in place the measures that are necessary to alleviate pressures on the health service."

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Today's good news:

COVID case numbers at the lowest level in over five months (and still dropping).

RTE: "12,000 cases reported"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

All the liberal leaning states will be quick to rush back into restrictions. Universities are the same now.

• Advertisement

We didn’t quite make the <1000 in hospitals this morning but we’re getting closer. Down from 1081 to 1004.

It was under 1,000 last night. Falling nearly faster than it went up at this point. Could be down to 500 or so within two weeks.

Funny how quiet all these talking shops go when their doomsday predictions don't come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

US only starting to go through its BA.2 wave now.

One to watch, but some experts think it might not be as bad as the last BA.1 wave. Hopefully not as i’ll be over there in 4 weeks time.

It blows my mind how much the time the US spends on pointless and performative measures as opposed to things that are actually proven to work like vaccinating/boosting the elderly and vulnerable.

Unfortunately nearly everything in the U.S. becomes a political football to the point that legislators will do anything, no matter how insane or damaging, provided that they believe it can score partisan points. They will literally deny reality if the "other side" is seen to take a position on something.

Where in 2020 we saw a load of republican states refuse to enact public health legislation, and a president actively deny there was any real problem in 2020, the logical foil to that insanity was that democractic states went in hard on public health measures, now they have to blindly stick to some of the measures just because it's considered partisan. If they don't do it, it's a "loss".

Because conservatives made such a stink about masks, the issue of masks automatically became a liberal -v- conservative talking point, rather than one based on public health.

We saw some leakage of that over here with the anti-mask crackpots, but that's typical now with the internet. It was never made into a political statement over here.

And me. Dunno how I've avoided it. In the pub every week, travelled abroad, etc.

I have no problem with people doing as they see fit. My point is that speakers like Cliona should not equate not having caught covid with "continue to be super careful" - people can make their own minds up without being encouraged to lock themselves up!

I don't think he does, or I do - not having caught it yet, has to be accompanied by a partner/someone you live with having HAD it while you were there with them and still didn't catch it.

• Advertisement

Interesting out of Shanghai. There are currently approx 200,000 locally transmitted cases. Most are mild or asymptomatic . One case currently categorized as severe.

Is that worth putting 25 million people through hell locking them up?

Advertisement