Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Ukrainians warning some fuckery could be started in Moldova. I don't even want to legitimise the "breakaway" region by naming it. The Moldovans would want to be very prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I always wrote off the apartment bombings theory as too quare to possibly be true. No longer.

You have to wonder will there ever come a day when that man will answer for his outrageous crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The last time Germany sided with Russia - it certainly didn't work out the best

You'd think the feckers would understand this by now.

That said Germany has been a instigator in no less than three potentially civilisation ending events - including the end of the Roman empire and much later the first and second World Wars. Here's hoping they're not in on the third fourth.

Everything that Putin have done or are accused of doing is true,the rest is coverups and misinformation.

I cant wait for the day Putin stands trial in Hague.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

CNN had a report on the Russian media just now. The level of gaslighting is off the scale - viewers are told the 'special operation' is going brilliantly and to plan, Russia has had very few troop losses, the soldiers are behaving impeccably and the only people carrying out atrocities are the Ukrainians (it actually sounds worse than Nazi propaganda in WW2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It’s hard to take this kind of post seriously given Ireland is a neutral country with no armed forces to speak of who relies on its neighbours for its security. Compare that to neutral countries like Finland (or Switzerland where I live) who actually have armed forces to safeguard their neutrality. Loads of posters keep giving out about “the West”, even though Ireland is in a position to do diddly squat and it wouldn’t be Irish sons and daughters on a Ukrainian battle field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Ukraine couldn’t field or operate an Abrams; the argument is that it is too different for them to be able to do it in any kind of reasonable timeframe with any kind of reasonable efficiency. The same argument would hold for any military which doesn’t already operate turbine driven 4-man tanks.

As a longer term initiative it would be great; but I don’t see how it would help them over the coming weeks and months. That’s where more standard combustion engined tanks might come in such as the Leopard. Also any and all Soviet era tanks should be supplied even if only in small quantities to start with.

In any case I think the focus on tanks is a bit of a distraction; what they really need are long range artillery systems and guided munitions of whatever type might be available. Or armoured vehicles which offer simple point and shoot weapons systems to support dismounted troops and provide transport. Also anti-air and anti-drone systems etc.

A few hundred extra howitzers and trucks to tow them I suspect Ukraine would make excellent use out of; and they ain’t that complicated to use especially when everyone and their dog has a drone to adjust fire and vast tracts of open country with low likelihoods of collateral damage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, it could not have as easily been Abrams, and on this one, I suspect I might be reasonably well qualified to make the observation.

Yes, understanding the basics of how to drive and fight an M1, the basics, will only take a week or so. The problems are in their sustainment. For starters, the thing is far heavier than anything in the Ukrainian military infrastructure, to include armored bridging units, are able to support. I would be very surprised if their recovery vehicles can handle them either, so you would need to add M88s to the order, like every other country which has bought M1s. Which thus means adding another vehicle and engine type to the supply train.

Then there’s the matter of mechanics. The US Army course for a Tank Systems Maintainer (tank mechanic, basically) is 24 weeks long. That’s what the US thinks necessary to train soldiers in their native language, using manuals and equipment that they can read, to be good enough to be fielded to work as basically an apprentice under the guidance of more experienced soldiers. None of these items apply to the Ukrainian Army. Such can also happen with the crews. The M1 has idiosyncrasies which can only be learned by time on steel. Using the M1 in basic mode takes, as I said, just a week or so. Using it to the extent of its capabilities, however, is something which also will come only with time.

Most of these problems are mitigated by the use of T-72s, or other, less finicky systems.

Ukraine may be considering equipping units with M1s, but to do it, it will have to take at least a brigade out of the line for at least three months to be even vaguely proficient enough to go back into battle and not be promptly lost. I don’t know if Ukraine is at that point.

Even getting the likes of T72s, it's well and fine being able to drive them, surely efficiency is important. How to manouver in groups, be experienced takes time. Same with migs. Poor and all as the Russians are surely they will be better trained than raw recruits.

Russia hasn't got air superiority it seems due to Ukraine's apparent anti aircraft capability. This is what they need and plenty of it plus anti tank capability. It may not be offensive, but the best way to defeat this large and somewhat rag tag Russian army is time.

Easy: "You see? If we didn't invade Ukraine they would have joined NATO like Finland and Sweden have been planning for years. Our intelligence told us this; and here you see we were right. But our Special Operation has ensured Ukraine will never join NATO. Aren't we amazing?"

I'm not sure how many Russians will genuinely believe it; but I imagine the party line will be something similar.

• Advertisement

It's the latter that's surprising. Tying up and executing civilians, their 'fellow Russians'. The industrialised rape, and letting them live, witnesses. It seems to be done deliberately, and not after years of war, relatively very quickly. Very much out in the open.

It seems 'they'/Putin wants NATO to intervene directly. He can't stand the thought of losing to lowly Ukraine. How can he look Xi or Kim in the eye. Rocket man and Winnie the Pooh are laughing at his complete ineptitude. He is the emperor with no clothes, a cornered rat. This humiliation to his ego cannot be underestimated.

Nobody can now doubt Russia being able to put up any defence against a modern NATO/US.

A poster above said they can see Putin going nuclear but someone will stop him. Really, that's where we are at now, hopefully the Russian system (that executes citizens/industrially rapes as a weapon of war) will be able to intervene. Putin has had years to work around that possibility, done dummy tests and anyone not complying getting fired. The equivalent of 'minute men' in Russia will follow orders not quite knowing if its a drill or the real thing. It will only take one (it would be many more) ICBM launching from Russia to the US for a full response.

We are now relying on US hawks not getting their way in the US to not intervene. Biden is a good Catholic - how long before he can resist them when Russia has gone full Mad Max in Ukraine?

And before anyone accuses me of hyperbole, there are plenty of non military people on this thread thinking attacking Putins troops is a good idea. Why wouldn't US generals?

Now, think back to the time Putin got his cronies on TV - even then, while Putin was in full tyrant mode, one person, in front of the cameras even knowing Putins mind was cautioning (if only briefly before backing down) they should negotiate a little longer. They/he in particular were afraid.

If people think Putin is bluffing they are relying on him being sane. Would like to hear their reasons for thinking this.

As for the 'how can we allow Russia to rape children and kill civilians' - that's a very valid argument. Just know the likely end game.

Whether it stays conventional or not a conflict between Russia and the USA is an international conflict. The idea that the US would roll tanks and troops into Ukraine and just allow Russian assets in the Black Sea/Belarus/Russia to attack them uncontested is kinda silly.

One exception might be small numbers of special forces engaging in small unit operations with only US intelligence support. Which could be happening right now for all we know (although I don't believe it is); it was certainly happening in the Donbass before the invasion.

I mean it's possible it was a Russian chemical attack but we also have to remember these guys are holed up in what is a massive steel production plant which has been known for high levels of pollution and lax safety protocols.

The fact they seem to be talking about three victims who are in "satisfactory" condition suggests it might be more likely they inhaled a bunch of steel dust or asbestos or coke dust or something similar.

It also should be said that the West isn't going to move on claims of chemical weapons use without significant amounts of corroboration; I just don't see how that happens in Mariupol unless Russians deploy large chemical units and start widespread attacks.

And even more depressing is the fact that I suspect the West's reaction to chemical attacks will be... yet more ineffective sanctions. They'll probably sanction chemical companies in Russia "associated with Russian arms industry" or some other nonsense.

Why should you need to be convinced? I mean if anything it should be easier to justify giving Ukraine equipment which isn't battle ready; no? I bet they would take them even just to start getting their mechanics/trainers familiar with them as compared to Soviet gear.

Also German industry has stated they have some 50 tanks and 60 IFVs they can recommission and start providing to Ukraine within weeks; but Germany won't authorise these transactions. Granted Ukraine needs help sooner than 6 weeks but they also need to assume Russia is still going to be squatting in their country for the foreseeable future.

A well-known British soldier ("Johnny", former YPG and current Ukrainian Marine) fighting in Mariupol got word out that his unit has been forced to surrender due to no food and no ammunition:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They will be facing certain death at the hands of the Russians , disappeared to face sham trials in Russia for crimes committed against Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I don't see a good ending for jonny. As a brit who volunteered to fight for Ukraine, I can see the Russians looking to torture and make an example of him.

I hope he makes it out alive.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's horrific but probably true. Surrender is a death sentence. But what choice, no relief, no supplies, no hope of a breakthrough. Its just a sh1tty situation all round.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Of course there will. What do you think is going to happen here, unconditional surrender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Getting into armchair general territory here when I'm not even one and should leave it to others, but that does seem a waste of their military's time and resources (messing with some old Western weapons that they don't know how to maintain and that may/may not work for them in battle, just to learn about them?). Assuming this could drag on, would seem more logical to send some reservists/new people if they can be spared (possibly? Ukraine has basically called up the entire fighting age male population?) out to Europe or US to do military training using some of these bigger, more complex Western weapons [kind of things people here say should be sent "now" - tanks, artillery systems, large air defence systems, maybe even some aircraft], or get the training to become part of the big infrastructure that is no doubt needed in the background away from fighting to keep them fueled up/armed and working well. Then such weapons could be supplied and make a difference.

There does (according to the media) seem to be disagreements about feasibility between the German govt. and arms makers over some of those heavier weapons like old tanks/tracked fighting vehicles (what needs to be done to actually get the equipment ready + how long it will take, the actual ability of Ukrainians to use and maintain it etc. without a lot of training). Don't know who to believe there really.

The Marder example may sound good, but it also isn’t without problems. Despite its advanced age, the system is quite complex. How would the Ukrainians get the necessary training? How would spare parts be delivered? Who would take care of maintenance?

Not only that, but it would likely take months to get them ready for deployment. If Ukrainian soldiers were to end up dying because the Germans delivered junk, it wouldn't likely be Rheinmetall's problem. The government in Berlin would have to bear responsibility.

The message from the Chancellery is clear: "Why the rush?" After all, the 100 tanks in question are not decisive for the outcome of the war. They say the inquiry about the Marders first came in last Friday and that they are carefully reviewing it now. But it is already foreseeable how this review will likely end, and it doesn’t look good for Papperger.

Some of the posting here about Germany gets ridiculous and hyperbolic + leaves a bad taste. Someone just tuning in from Mars reading along would think they were allied with Putin/Russia and invading Ukraine, or responsible for Russia's decision to do this.

Reports that a railway link in Russia near Belgorod has been "damaged". From that description you might imagine a bit of vandalism or something but this picture suggests it might have been done by military or paramilitary and be fairly substantial:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm also thinking back to US strategy when they armed the Taliban back in the 80's to fight the Soviets. They had the option to arm them with M16s and the load of other US gear, but instead they opted to give them a load of AK47s and other Soviet-specific gear. The thinking was that if the Taliban succeeded, they would end up capturing Soviet ammo, which would be compatible with the gear they were carrying.

So, my guess is that giving Ukraine Soviet design weapons & tanks will give them the option to use any ammo stores or equipment that they can capture on the field while fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

That might be a secondary benefit but surely the primary one is that these are the weapons the Ukrainian troops actually know how to operate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh that too for sure! You want them to just jump into these newly supplied tanks and drive them off from day one. The ammo thing is a secondary benefit, but a substantial one since ammo supply is a challenge, and grabbing abandoned / captured Russian gear is a handy and quick source if compatible with what you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

It would make sense sure; but your suggestion would require a political decision to supply particular systems in sufficient quantities. That doesn't seem to be forthcoming. My point was in lieu of such political decisions surely some initial familiarisation could take place; even if only on small numbers of non-combat ready vehicles or systems.

I mean if you're Ukraine with a relatively large defence industry who has had most of its infrastructure destroyed; you probably have a bunch of engineers and technicians who could be spared to work on new/different projects. Especially if they could do so outside of Ukraine and in relative safety.

And furthermore if nobody will supply Ukraine with combat-ready and working heavy equipment; I suspect they would take non-combat ready heavy equipment if it was possible. Worst case scenario it's left sitting in storage somewhere; but it could make a difference if the conflict drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It (my suggestion & some ideas in your post) doesn't seem to require a political decision the Western media or hence a joe soap like me would know of at the moment.

Ideally let Russia find out about it when this heavier + more difficult to use western stuff starts shipping (probably could not keep it secret that long I suppose).

i.e When the weapons appear in Ukraine with soldiers able to deploy them, use them well in battle and maintain them etc. (Ukrainians, not Western soldiers/"advisors" about which there does seem to be a definite political decision made not to use here, for reasons there's been much arguing about on thread + I won't start going on about!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

james heappey- all options are on the table if chemical weapons have been used in Mariupol, what does this mean really as all options are never on the table when dealing with Russia?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement