Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptising children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that human rights came about in ancient Greece. It's basically a modern concept, originating in the sixteenth century, and it owes rather more both to Christianity and to modern non-Christian thought than it does to the ancient Greeks.

I think it's fairly well accepted that they have their origins in ancient civilisations. Yes, significant development happened in the sixteenth century but they really originated from natural law theory.

It is only to be expected that the church would take them on, change them etc as they did with the old pagan festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mmm. I think you're drawing a very long bow there. You can probably say that some of the elements of natural law theory are found in ancient Greek thought, but actually assembling those elements together to construct anything that looks like natural law theory as we know it happens much later, and certain the derivation from that of anything that looks like a theory of human rights is a distinctly modern development.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on our perspectives on the origins.

Human rights is absolutely a modern development, but I still don't believe it can be connected to Christianity however. We are probably off topic now 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Interesting discussion on Pat Kenny show this morning about school ethos and divestment. A spokesperson from Iona Institute was pointing at an example of a school in Malahide where the parents voted not to divest (possibly in a keep the status quo scenario).

The other commentator who represented Education Equality was asking why religious studies cannot be done out of school hours, and reallocate that daily half hour to another subject, to which Iona guy had no response or logical answer.

The obvious answer is that baptisms, communion and confirmation ceremony numbers would drop like a rock in water if parents had to do the confirmunion prep work themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

My apologies. I was a bit harsh. You can't deny the influence of Christianity in Europe. Sure the Greeks had some influence but not as much.

Tom holland (the writer) has a great book on the subject. Dominion.

There really is no harm in religion being taught in schools as a counter to the gross materialistic values kids get all around them. Religion is part of the human experience.

There are hard on secularists out there hell bent on getting rid of religion in schools.

At secondary level it's an exam subject so you won't win there.

At primary - communion and confirmation should be done externally.

It suits the state to have voluntary Catholic schools because it doesn't have to fund them as much.

But the whole Catholic ethos thing is exaggerated.

I think people who rage about it have unresolved issues themselves perhaps.

This time I bow out for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The time of maximum religiosity was also the time of minimum human rights, burning heretics alive at the stake for example. It was only as the church's influence decreased that we have modern human rights.

teach religion, yes. All religions. As is done in secondary school.

anything else should be kept outside the classroom and in the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One of the grossest materialistic events in a Catholic-educated child's life is the cash event that is First Communion.

And it is not in any doubt that the Catholic Church is one of the wealthiest institutions on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Make her happy. Marriages are about compromise and you don't just marry a person, you marry each others families. She likely views religion as a cultural thing and in some ways that's all it is for many. You can stand there, say the words, smile and just forget about it. Maybe be thankful she's not from one of the other world religions, their families can be absolute fundamentalists when kids come along.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Catholic parents would be happy if say Islam was thought in schools as a counter to materialism rather than Catholicism? Would they be happy with the excuse that it is only a few prayers? I would be happy if there was an option in primary schools to have either religion or something else like science or philosophy, but that was rejected by the church. The state is footing the entire bill for salaries, pensions, most running costs (except voluntary contributions) and construction. In the past land was provided by the church. In most cases the value of the land would be less than the cost of employing a single teacher for their working life. So the church gets a very good deal here. If I understand from some other threads, you might be a religion teacher which might help explain your perspective.

Why can't the wife compromise for the OP's views?

Incorrect. Friends told us last week of their 6 year old son being taught about heaven and hell in school, and how sinners go to hell to burn for eternity. Now how is that possibly considered harmless?

My friends young lad got communion a few years ago, they lined them up along the front of the alter and made them say prayers where they asked for forgiveness for their sins. 6 & 7 year old children, being taught they are sinners, was very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was baptised Catholic and had to go to mass until I was 17. I resented it - especially the shaking hands / sign of peace b*llshit which is probably the primary reason why attendances have fallen.

Once I left home for college, I stopped going and once I hit 18, my parents didn't make me go any more. Nowadays the only time I see the inside of a Catholic church is for a funeral or wedding. My children are baptised COI (my wife is COI). To keep my parents happy, I got the dispensation from the Catholic church to marry in a COI church. As part of that process, I had to make the promise to the priest to "do my utmost" to bring any children up as Catholic. I had no intention of doing so. To the OP, I would suggest making the compromise to get the children baptised.

I don't have faith but unlike some other atheists, I don't hate people who are religious. My parents and many elderly relatives & neighbours still go to mass - that doesn't cloud my perception of them - and I still think they're decent people.

Not everyone will want to go along with it to keep others happy though. The older generation also need to understand that they live in a society where not everyone shares the same beliefs as they do. My grandmother is quite religious, not dogmatic, really just a product of her generation. We have recently had a same sex marriage in the family and she was all on board with that. She has realised the world has moved on and the main thing is for individuals to find happiness in their own lives. It isn't about hating religious, I just don't want to have the church having control over fully funded state schools and hospitals.

Do atheists hate religious people? I've never heard anything like that.

I don't believe in God, but I have no issue with members of the church, any church. I'm fact, I would defend completely the right of people to practise their religion. My mother is religious and goes to mass regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I know some who do. There may be other issues in the background but the primary reason cited is the fact that the person still goes to mass (and is seen as conservative / intolerant etc).

I haven't seen comments in this thread about hating religious people. I have absolutely no interest in religion and firmly believe it should be kept out of school, but I certainly don't hate religious people.

If someone wants to practice religion that is great for them. And if a school wants to teach children about all world religions, in an appropriate manner (eg not focusing on hell, sinning, etc) that is also great. However I do not want a catholic only focus being taught to my child at school, when that time could be spent on another topic or subject.

• Advertisement

You obviously don't understand the concept of sin. Sin is about damaged relationships. Causing harm to others. But sure all Muslims beat their Wives and are terrorists.

This sort of moronic interpretation of basic doctrine belongs in your local. Can you not go there... Now like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My 5 year old daughter came home from school one day and asked me if it was true what sister told her, that there are devils living under the ground.

What are you talking about? The concept of sin was taught to me as a small child. How could anyone think that making small children think of themselves as sinners could possibly be a good idea?

And what are you talking about Muslims? Do you believe that?

I think it's not me who spends a lot of time in my local..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Because healthy relationships rely on compromise. And that in most families what happens around this sort of issue is more heavily influenced by the mother. Are you married? Do you have children?

Please tell me you are not actually teaching kids? The way you speak to and about people (calling them morons) is awful. As I asked in another post, I seem to remember reading one of your posts in one of the teaching threads where you suggested you are a religion teacher.

I am. I do. I didn't want to baptise our child. My wife would have gone ahead with a baptism, purely because her own mother is quite religious and to please her. We discussed it and agreed not to baptise as neither of us attend mass, practice religion or agree with the church's position that women and homosexuals should be discriminated against.

Healthy relationships do rely on compromise but it is a 2 way street. It really should be understood by both partners what is going to happen before having children anyway in my opinion. If one is very strongly against it and the other is a bouncy castle catholic, then they could always just leave off the baptism and hire a bouncy castle.

This is a thread on social media with anonymity. It's not a formal debate. Thus if one comes across moronic comments im not going to hold back.

Adults should at least know the basic facts of a religion before making ridiculous comments that belong in a local tavern.

• Advertisement

Mother of Jesus. You really are a piece of work.

Sin is about relationships. By the time a kid reaches 8 they know lying is wrong. Etc. You are whipping the word up beyond imagination and completely twisting what is taught.

The reason i brought in Muslims is if people said ridiculous things about them you'd be called out but now it seems any idiot can say any about Catholics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement