Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20% cut to fares for all public transport operators from April

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Think that is a bit harsh, the machines are based on technology that is approx. 30 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In the normal course of events they would have eight weeks notice to do this - this really isn't any more than that.

The public announcement was just far earlier than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Do we know when these ticket machines are going to be changed? I think a contract hasn't been signed with a supplier yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The next generation ticketing was lumped in with the bus connects infrastructure business case so they are able to press on with that now, not sure if a supplier has been picked yet though. Even then, it will be a few years until it will be fully implemented as I believe the NTAs plan is to gradually move to the new system in stages.

Tender to be awarded in 2023 and implementation in 2024 was the last indication I saw. As above the delay in government approving the outline business case has not helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

This is very unfair unless they subsidise private operators to the same extent.

Imagine if you had a shop that was giving you a basic income and the government decided to open one next door but were giving 20% off everything, subsidised by taxpayers.

None of the publicly funded companies commercially operated services are included in this policy so it's not really a valid point.

The services that are getting this discount are those which are deemed as public service obligation and don't directly compete with commercial operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

What will be the new standard leap bus fare in Dublin be with the 20% reduction? The €2.30 leap fare will reduce to what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They haven't published it yet. But I wouldn't take any % reduction directly. It's mainly been used previously to advertise the reduction across all the fares, not individual fares.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

€2. On the basis that the current €2.30 is actually €2.50 reduced to €2.30 for a promotional period. It's cheeky but technically true. It was supposed to go up to €2.50 in March but wasn't raised given the imminent reduction.

I'm hearing that they don't actually want to raise it to €2.50 in 2023 but there's a lot of politics to be played between now and the end of the year.

Student and young adult fares will be €1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Thanks for that Peregrine.

I think €2 is more than a fair fare (excuse the pun!). It would be my experience, that that is getting close to EU averages and ahead of some places. I really never thought the day that I could practically travel across Dublin for 90 minutes with a free transfer for €2 and then head home on my bus which is a 24 hour route. Finally getting somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

I notice on the Dublin Bus fares website the price of a 30 day rambler is now showing as 132 Euro (down from the usual 165).

Does anyone know if they are already on sale with the reduction applied? I presume no adjustment to the machines is needed as it just deducts a 'day' when validated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If we get enforcement of bus lanes next year, we'll also gain a degree of journey time reliability. I'd say we'll just about have an average European bus service, astounding when you look at how primitive it was only 10 years ago. Credit where due.

Dublin's lack of rail coverage remains a major issue and will do even after DART+ and the long fabled metrolink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seems you'd need to be using the bus a lot to justify buying a rambler now, I assume it was mainly used previously by people who had to change buses?

Well that works out at 4.40 Eur a day for unlimited travel? What makes that so hard to justify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

When does the DART reduction kick in? 1st of May?

because for a regular commuter (probably 95%+ of paying passengers) it's only €4 a day to pay on Leap with the reduced fares. Rambler is only value for someone making a 3rd distinct trip on some days. Previously (at least before the 90-minute fare was introduced) the rambler was useful for anyone who had to change buses as part of their commute.

Thats fair enough but I was referring to people who make numerous trips in a day.

Llllllllll

Plus I was trying to point out that it looks like the rambler fares have already been reduced.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there are still people for whom it's a useful product, but it's much more niche that it was before.

That's true I'm sure but am I not allowed ask the question I asked? You could have just ignored the question if you don't use it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

All of the monthly and annual tickets for Dublin are poor value over the pay-as-you-go alternative, and of course this has only got worse over time as the single fares have been restructured, first with the €1 discount on changing bus/luas/train and now with the TFI90 fare. Fact is, the vast majority of people don't takes numerous trips in a day, most people take one return trip a day for work plus the occasional trip maybe a couple times a week for social reasons. DB have failed to create an incentivise for this group of people (who are by far the largest) to sign up and pay for their PT services on a recurring or long-term basis. They've failed because they make the cost difference to the customer so small between the PAYG option versus monthly/annual, and by setting the value threshold for monthly/annual tickets so high (the point of usage at which it costs less to have an monthly/annual ticket than to PAYG). It's as if our public transport providers just don't understand the value in signing up customers on a subscription model. Of course, the taxsaver incentive has a lot to blame for this because the less DB absorbs the cost of creating an incentive to 'subscribe', the more of their Government subvention they effectively get to keep because the more that cost is shouldered by Revenue. I'm picking on DB here because they're the only operator who benefit from a network effect in their services, IE and Luas are even more guilty of this because they can't even bring you to most parts of the city.

If anything the whole funding model for PT is broken because we live in a system where the people who pay the least for public transport are those users who are most well able to afford the higher prices, when really the people who should be paying for it are the private cars and taxis clogging up the city's streets.

To be clear here, operators don’t set the fares anymore for PSO services and haven’t for some time - it’s the NTA who are responsible for setting them.

For sure the taxation elements should never form part of the fare determination process.

Monthly and annual tickets should offer discounts to all users full stop before any tax benefits are applied. That’s the rationale for them in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Noted but of course, the existing fare structure is a legacy one inherited by the NTA and devised originally by DB, and it goes without saying that the NTA have also completely failed to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

Does anyone have a ballpark of what percent of revenue would fares make up for big operations like Dublin Bus?

Would making it entirely free actual cost that much to the exchequer? Or capping it at a much lower level, €10 for example?

I was spoilt living in Dublin for college with pubic transport and blown away when I moved here 🇸🇬…. Compared to my midlands hovel with more tumbleweeds than buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin Bus took 263m in "customer income" - fares and FTS grants - in 2019, compared to 39m in subvention. 2020 is not useful for comparisons and from 2021 on they are paid to operate the services with the NTA taking the revenue.

There would be some savings in payment processing, cash handling, ticketing systems (although you still need something to work out passenger loads) and so on but it'd be millions if even.

Some of that 263m was indirectly subsidised via Taxsaver, can't easily find figures on that - because the figures don't exist!

Assuming there’s 2 million workers in Ireland that’s €11 per month per worker. You’d hardly notice that.

If I was living in Ireland I’d happily pay double or triple that for Swiss or Singaporean style public transport that was free too.

There's 2.4m in the labour force with 8% unemployment so 2.2m. However, around half of those don't pay any income tax anyway so you're looking at putting over 200/month on each taxpayer if funded by income tax.

The other thing is that free public transport has been shown to just pull people away from walking a cycling - not cars - so is of no environmental of traffic benefits anyway.

The big flaw in your calculation though is that you're basically saying we're only going to extend this scheme to Dublin Bus, but we're going to expect the whole of the country to pay for it, which isn't going to be politically viable if they are not getting the same.

Now add in the cost of Local Link, the Luas, Irish Rail, Go-Ahead Ireland, Bus Eireann and any other publicly subsidised transport and you will find it's going to be a lot more than £11 per month per worker.

Then all of the figures you give above are based on the exact same number of vehicles that we have now with exactly the same payroll costs and exactly the same number of passengers.

Fact is there is going to have to be an explosion of costs because free transport with inevitably attract more people, which means needing to pay more staff, huge capital spending in vehicles and a massive increase in costs.

To provide free public transport, it's going to cost billions, not hundreds of millions and that's before we even start to think of the rising cost of fuel and like it or not, our transport network is still going to be mostly diesel powered for a good few years yet.

Also not everyone who is employed pays income tax.

Fair enough. Is 100 people on a double decker bus not better than 100 cars (ie, 3 piece suites) driving around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lovely barely discussed cycling evangelist hyperbole there.

But how many places would 1 bus actually replace 100 cars though?

And even if it was "better" - who's going to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Even if it replaced thirty or forty cars, it would make a huge difference to towns and cities. One of the biggest problems with public transport, as it currently stands, is that buses have almost no priority over private cars (including the parked ones, which is an enormous kick in the teeth). They need to be eliminated, whatever the cost. And before I'm accused of "cycling evangelism", I haven't been on a bike in almost thirty years.

Actually it was the NTA who steadily removed the discounts that season tickets gave during the recession as the then FG led government wanted passengers paying a greater share of the cost, on the grounds that most of them were getting a tax rebate.

Nuts, but there you are.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

It's been shown that free public transport does not replace car trips. It just moves people off bikes and escooters etc

It should be combined with measures that make car usage in urban areas extremely difficult. Take as much space as possible away from cars (including public parking spaces) and force people to use public transport instead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The issue is that at peak hours there are already 100 people jammed on the bus. Make it free and you won't be able to fit any more people onto already overcrowded bus.

It would cost roughly 600 million per year to make all public transport free. But that won't give you any extra buses or trains/luas. If you were to ask most people trying to get on a Dublin Bus at 8:30 in the morning, would they prefer a free bus or alternatively double or triple the number of buses, I'd think most would take the extra buses. A free bus isn't much good to you if you can't get on it!

600m a year would buy you a massive increase in the number of buses, drivers, etc.

Also BTW DB once did a free travel day, it was a disaster, scumbags poured onto the buses and travelled all over Dublin and caused mayhem. Regular commuters were outraged and couldn't get on the bus or were even abused, etc. As a result, that experiment was never repeated.

I do think our fares are too expensive. I think a flat fare of €2 for 90 minutes of travel would be pretty fair. Also we could try doing a reduced fare for off peak travel, say €1 for 90 minutes of travel between 10am and 3pm and after 7pm. Might help improve offpeak usage and help spread the load off some peak travel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I agree. If it's kept at €2 then we'd finally be in a good position fare-wise for the first time in a long time. There's always scope to improve of course. Especially things like monthly discounts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

In fairness most scumbags can travel FOC anyway so I don't how that would be an issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seeking to make it difficult is just ignoring the reasons why car traffic in the city is so prevalent. Other than the M50 and Lucan, every other means to cross the Liffey is routed through the city.

• Advertisement

The NTA fares determination report has now been published and is available here:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-Fares-Determination.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Measures like that just make it more difficult to live in urban areas. We should be making rural living harder, not urban living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Still so odd that Greystones is the *only* current dart station, and one of the only dart+ stations (bar the ones out past Balbriggan) that's outside the short fare zone. Surely that should be rectified

They make it more difficult for a minority to take up the majority of public space. It should be far easier to negotiate urban areas without dragging a massive box on wheels around with you, and without having an automatic right to store it in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Monthly and annual discounts are incredibly unfair on poor people as I learned in London. I simply didn't have the disposable cash for the longer term plans so had to pay more as punishment for being poor.

A discount for buying a pass is fine but it should be the same discount regardless of week/month/year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yep. Tallinn done it and it mostly led to less walking but little or no change in car use.

Tallinn's public transport options seem very comparable to Dublins but with half the population so it should be appealing to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My apologies for not reading the whole thread.

One point I would like to make.

An IE fare has been reduced on the website, but not at the ticket machines. Is that correct?

For example, Oranmore to Athenry.

9.10 day return at the machine (too high in my opinion for a 10 min journey)

3.65 each way on the web.

As per the fares determination, the fare cuts are being implemented in three phases.

With regard to Irish Rail, taxsaver monthly and annual fares were cut in phase one, intercity website fares were cut in phase two, all other fare cuts are in phase three effective 9th May.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Except Dublin to Cork/Limerick/Kerry low fares weren't cut by a single cent, despite the assurance that the reduction would be across all web fare classes. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume you are talking about BE Expressway routes? Expressway is the commercial arm of BE. These reductions only applied to PSO routes operated by the PSO arm of BE and other companies.

These reductions didn't apply to any commercial operator, including Expressway or any of the private coach companies like Aircoach, Citylink, etc.

Advertisement