Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Let's not forget Leo...he considers anyone that calls Ireland home as Irish, if everyone is Irish then no one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ne’er a mention of the term ‘culture’ in your post? For what it’s worth, Wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive entry on Irish culture -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Ireland

None of your ‘blood coming from soil’ nonsense, as if that has ever been any definition of ethnicity. No wonder you’d claim anyone pretends they can’t understand basic definitional stuff, your definition makes no sense.

That being said, it’s not unexpected that you would pretend you don’t understand why posting negative stories about immigrants committing crime would be banned, while pro-immigrant stories aren’t. You’ve bent over backwards about the definitions of Irish, I’m sure you’re able to figure out the even longer standing principle on Boards - don’t be a dick.

Trying to associate immigrants and criminals is dickish behaviour - they’re not the same groups of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,281 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In that case I was French…I am French

why isn’t there a French passport on my table ? and a free apartment on Rue Soufflot

Well personally I would much prefer people living in this country to consider it home. They are far more likely to be invested in the country and its future then someone just here for a few years.

people considering Ireland as their home should be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Unfortunately Ireland is turning into an economic hostel the last few years of transient workers, I'm probably one of a few who's not a fan of the Eus free movement of people, pure neoliberalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Which is why I would much prefer people here who consider it home.

While I feel the opposite of you and am a big fan of freedom of movement, I respect your honesty on it.

A good result for this lady and her children. Insane the lengths she had to go to in order to get things moving for her application. Hopefully once they clear the backlog through the granting of residency, they'll run things more efficiently

TD Noel Grealish, not one with any gra for foreigners (quite the opposite having been blatantly racist in the Dail previously) highlighted recently in the dail the need to get more Non-EEA folks into the country through the work permitting system to fill gaps in the work force here.

Might be time for the likes of the Dept of FA to go do an IDA-style fair in a few foreign cities to drum up interest to get more folks over here asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hmmm, from Sudan moved to Saudi Arabia and then here.

Wasn't getting it all her own way and went on a "hunger strike" knowing it would make our incompetent Justice Minister pull a few strings so she could stay and now she wants to get the husband over as well.

Its so easy to play the system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah people that would come here legally to work with a visa and not just show up at Dublin airport with a made up story trying to leech off the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Wait, her husband got into difficulties into Saudi so she left him there and came to Ireland, despite there being no direct flights.

Call me skeptical....

It also raises interesting questions, if we are granting people asulym from Saudi based on human rights issues, should we not stop doing business with them?

if we are granting people asulym from Saudi based on human rights issues, should we not stop doing business with them?

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I do. I know what "we want to be a republic" means as well.

'most Jamaicans were thinking'

Do you know what that means?

Based on their.human rights abuses, everybody should stop doing business with them, imo anyway. It will never happen though......

DaCor, how does this or any of the articles that you've been bombing the thread with, relate to ongoing discussions or the thread title?

Are you going to laud the contributions that people like this have made to the country, or defend the downsides of multiculturalism?

Because honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing articles that go absolutely nowhere. There used to be rules against Link/Article bombing of a thread.

You sure that ecumenical is the word you want to use? Cause it does seem a strange choice.

All due respect, I posted an article related to an asylum seeker in a thread where such as been discussed ad nauseum.

I have posted articles related to Ukranian refugees, also discussed to a huge degree here. I have posted links in relation to direct provision, asylum seeking, various stats, articles, reports, studies etc etc.

Each time I do so, I offer my thoughts on it. Some of my posts drive discussions, some don't, such is the nature of boards. A funny tweet I posted which I thought would not do anything except get a couple of likes drove dozens of posts, some controversial articles I post drive zero posts, c'est la vie.

I engage in discussion where its called for, I ignore most of the Daily Mail type conversations though which is why you won't see me engaging with a large amount of the posters here simply because there is no value in sinking to those depths.

Should you wish to discuss anything I post, by all means do so, you are also welcome to stick me on ignore (lord knows I've done it to many of the more xenophobic posters in this thread myself).

Plenty of other posters post links and their thoughts on those links, I do no different. The only difference is I am posting good news stories, positive articles etc in relation to the thread discussions on immigration. The only folks objecting are the ones who have are on the opposite side of the discussion who don't seem to have any issue with doing similar types of posts which support their viewpoint.

Having a different take on a topic is not against any rules, however, if you have an issue with anything I am posting, the "Flag" button is right there.

As regards rules, I believe there are also ones about backseat modding and "attack the post, not the poster"

• Advertisement

Snipped. Wrote a long reply, but you're right. I should just /ignore you. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I would rather see this "Employees market" we have at the minute continue, conditions may improve in jobs at the lower end of the pay scale if there is some competition in retaining workers. With the increase in prices in almost everything it might lessen the burden on some families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

On the knotty issue of nationality and identity, I think a distinction can and should be made between a citizen of the Irish State and a member of the Irish nation.

In Ireland, many seem to have embraced a dogma of progressivist transubstantiation whereby a native of the Guinea Basin or the Ruhr Valley can have a few words said over them and automatically become as Irish as Padraig Pearse.

In most of the rest of the world, this would be seen as a nonsense.

I will always maintain the increasingly unfashionable position that being Irish is something and means something. That I belong to a people, a nation, a tribe; that I have a homeland.

It means less, arguably it means nothing, if any person in the world can make the same claims on the submission of the correct paperwork.

There is more to being Irish than a legal status and a demarcation to be made between a legal/administrative nationality and a cultural/ethnic nationality. Between citizens of our Republic and members of our nation.

Being born in a stable still doesn't make you a horse.

As for mass immigration being good for the economy, it is good for an insulated elite who benefit from artificially swollen labour pools and markets.

For most of the rest of us, who will find ourselves competing for dwindling space, resources and beleagered public services with the new populations in an overburdened society, the benefits, economic or otherwise, will be less tangible.

It will be difficult to celebrate bumper years for Tesco and McDonalds in Ireland when you can't find a place to live, get a hospital appointment or secure a school place for your child.

This before even accounting for the social, cultural and religious strife that has been suffered elsewhere, the first green shoots of which are already appearing here, as a result of these unprecedented influxes.

I was interested to see environmentalism feature in the discussion. Mass immigration, upon which multiculturalism is predicated, is, by any metric, damaging for the host environment.

There seems to be a belief in magic among the advocates of mass immigration in that that many have expressed faith that we can and must continue with transformative population increases and reduce our carbon emissions at the same time. Logically, this is on par with arguing you can and must jump into a swimming pool without getting wet.

As well as this, population increases will cause further encroachment on and pollution of the far from abundant ecosystems of our homeland.

It's ironic to see left leaning progressivists duped into supporting ruthlessly capitalistic, environmentally catastrophic processes. It would make me smile were the consequences not so grave.

Corporatism accomplished one of the greatest propaganda coups of the modern era in converting their natural opponents into the most vicious defenders of their interests in this aspect.

Post edited by DeadHand on

@DeadHand what about members of the 'Irish nation' born elsewhere in the world? Are they as Irish as Pearse himself?

Why the need to draw distinctions between ethnic Irish and other more recent irish? Your use of the term 'Irish nation' is very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Recently Saudi introduced an expat tax. Pakistani family living there didn’t like it and moved to Ireland via England, Were about to be deported but were reprieved as Dept caved to a small local protest by the local do-gooders .One of the nicer ways the Saudi get rid of people they don’t want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

Will the Guards be looking into those cnuts flying the russian flag and Z symbol, as an obvious incitement to hate? Or is it hate only when it against certain "protected" minorities?

Well if they receive a complaint they will probably Investigate. Will you make one?

I'm not sure it would be considered incitement to hatred legally, but if you make the complaint I'm sure you will be updated on the investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

Will you make one?

I shouldn't need to, it's a potentially criminal act and they must be aware of it happening, just as I am. And if they aren't aware of a group or russians organizing a march and meeting in support of a genocidal war then things are more fkd than we can imagine.

I'm not sure it would be considered incitement to hatred legally

Of course you aren't. They should investigate to find out if it is, and prosecute if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It’s not a crime to fly the Russian flag so I don’t see the point. Also there is still not explanation of what the Z or now the O actually means.

Advertisement