Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

to be honest they should go further and abolish closing times altogether.

let the lot open when they want and sell when they want and abolish the MUP indirect pub subsidy.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

exactly.

as much as i agree with the proposal and as i said above it should go all the way and just abolish closing times, it seems strange to be going ahead with this when apparently we have to have MUP that discounts the pubs and which the proceeds go to retailers as a measure to reduce already reducing heavily, alcohol consumption because we apparently have such a problem in ireland, which if we had it wouldn't exist if we grew up annd stopped implementing nanny state nonsense similar to the catholic church shame nonsense surrounding alcohol.

a mix of thinking we are stupid, some trying to protect their own businesses and using their position to do it, and pandering to a small group at the expense of the rest of us.

the good news ultimately is that it is going to fail, it is not going to force enough of us back into the pubs and some will do what they can to get around it, but the refusal to go to the pub will be the big hit rather then any revenue loss by people shopping in the north or brewing their own or whatever they do.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lobby groups

Mup wasnt and will never be about health.

So i can buy a bag of coke at the local dicso up until 6 in the morning but forget about a reasonably priced beer in the offo.

It **** stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If you are working class or have a low income, you shouldn't be allowed to afford alcohol, so we will put it just out of reach of a comfortable price for you (it was never 'cheap'), no matter what age you are or your situation.

But if you are a middle class or reasonably well off teenager, F*ck it, you can drink your hearts out until 6am!!

The government are just worried about the lower income peoples health. They don't care about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

FYP - The government is just worried about lower income for licence holders.

If you can spend and are spending the money in an approved rent seeker establishment, the health concerns magically disappear!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

That was my attempt at sarcasm.

Never believed they were worried about health.

I wonder will alcohol go up with inflation when everything else goes up. I mean, it will likely go up, but will the increase be passed on to the consumer or will it still be enough below MUP that we will still have MUP prices (except Tesco).

Yes sorry should have made that clear.

MUP gives retailers a lot of leeway in terms of absorbing increases in own brand items. Could see some drift up on products that were above MUP.

Just on the Tesco reference, there is a bottle of French wine I often picked up for €8 in Tesco - it was never reduced, that was the RRP.

It is now €9 - the bump isn't due to MUP as it is a 13% wine.

It seems now with everything else going up, people are slowly waking up to MUP and as pub prices seem to have risen everywhere, that is also contributing.

Early signs of people checking the prices in the off licences and going to the pub later than normal if going at all. I expect this will get more attention over Easter. Summer might have people forgetting about it etc. But come October I expect a lot of noise to be made about the price of alcohol in this country.

That's assuming that Easter only gains it marginal attention. Not one piece of me thinks that MUP is done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People have been saying that since MUP came in, even before it.

Oh wait till after January then people will realize about MUP.

Oh just wait till Paddy's day then people will realize about MUP

Oh just wait till Easter.....

There is going to be no public outcry about MUP.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How much time do you spend in off licences and outside pubs watching what people are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

It is well worth going up the North even factoring in fuel to stock up. 4 cans 440ML Carling are around €5.60 "on offer" down here, default price now €6 for 4. 18 cans of the same £11 so about €13.50 up North. Average saving of around €9 a slab. 18 cans of Fosters and Carlsberg (3.8% version) also £11 last weekend. Picked up a bottle of Sipsmiths gin in Tesco (granted on special) for £22.50. General price is £28. Same bottle is €50 down here!

I stocked up considerably last weekend and will be doing so again 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How so? They are simply asking for some backup of their position. How many people, how often have they seen this behaviour?

Early signs of people checking the prices in the off licences and going to the pub later than normal if going at all.

What is this based on? How has it been judged that people are checking prices in the Offy then changing their plans to go to the pub so they go later?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

You’ve way too much time on your hands, bro.

See, I cAn gAsLiGhT tOo.

Not that I saw or read, in fact, I have only seen Easter mentioned as a possible time when people might take notice. But with everything going up due to inflation, it's reasonable to expect any predicted timelines to be off. My point is, that I believe there will be more made of MUP. I don't believe it is done and dusted. Time will tell.

Zero time. Absolutely no minutes spent watching.

Why? Would I need to spend time watching them to have an opinion about people being fed up as they realise the price of everything when their budgets are tightening? And more importantly, the reasons why they have gone up.

I didn't see that behaviour, It has been reported many places that it is happening. More recently admittedly, it was also using lockdown restrictions as a comparison, when people were going to the pubs earlier because they were closing earlier.

There is proof that people are going to the pubs less for a long time now, and it's not just because the price of pints is crazy high, so raising the price in the off licences etc. will only help a small amount. Take into account all of the other reasons people aren't going.

Fine Gaels own manifesto of 2011 even mentions it, so that's going back a while.

Some factors to decide whether it is well worth while for others. The length of your journey there and back. The cost of your fuel (say per 100 km). How much you spent on drink. Someone living 300 km from the border with a thirsty car might have to spend a lot more than you to achieve the same savings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

It depends on what you drink but a saving of around €9 per slab of beer is quite large, worthwhile journey for me coming from Dublin anyway. Maybe not as good for someone making the trip from Cork or Kerry but again depends on what you drink. Savings are substantial in many areas especially the spirits. Almost 50% cheaper than here on the above mentioned gin alone, that is a massive saving.

More factors. Do you use turf? Will have to go up North to buy that soon too.

If people need to buy more alcohol to justify going up, so be it. It means they have a larger supply at home, or getting it for neighbours and/or friends when they are going up. It might be easier to deal with friends explaining that they could chip in for fuel if that was an issue.

There are quite substantial savings to be made if going up there to purchase alcohol.

• Advertisement

I'll keep saying this to hopefully save people money, hit up somewhere for toiletries and OTC drugs. 16 paracetamol 29/39p, 16 allergy tablets 59p, generic versions of tonnes of stuff that's barely available here. You can stock up for a year for a fiver for the common stuff. According to the ladies in my life Savers do really good makeup at silly prices as well apparently.

Surely this is unlikely to affect Ireland Off Licence prices. I am guessing it would affect all products under the Heineken brand.

It may affect the pubs though. That would be quite funny.

I wouldn't be a heineken drinker, but have bought it out of convenience the odd time. If they were to increase the price and it affected the higher MUP price, surely that would have a negative effect on them in this Country. Any rise would probably be still well under MUP.

Instead of putting their prices up, they should get some money off the top brass. Their €10 million plus top annual salaries break the rules in Holland, and their major shareholder is a multi billionairess.

Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken (born 30 June 1954) is a Dutch billionaire businesswoman, and the owner of a 25% controlling interest in the world's second-largest brewer, Heineken N.V. She is the richest person in the Netherlands, with a net worth of $16.7 billion as of May 2021, according to the Forbes billionaires list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They already increased their prices to the pubs about a month ago, as did Diageo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

And had it not been for MUP off licences prices would have risen too.

So any effects of MUP have been diluted by the overall inflation situation.

Unless they increase MUP thresholds again.

No increase in the MUP will be possible in the first three years, then only every eighteen months. Unless the political mood changes and the legislation is repealed.

(3) Subject to subsection (4), the Minister may, from time to time, by order increase the minimum price per gram of alcohol for the purposes of this Act.

(4) The Minister shall not make an order under subsection (3) earlier than—

(a) in the case of the first such order, 3 years after the commencement of this section, or

(b) in the case of a second or subsequent such order, 18 months after the previous order made under subsection (3).

(5) When making an order under subsection (3), the Minister shall take into account any expert research available to him or her on the effectiveness of the introduction of the minimum price per gram of alcohol for the purposes of this Act, and shall have regard to—

(a) the rate of alcohol consumption,

(b) patterns of alcohol consumption,

(c) health-related risks caused by alcohol consumption,

(d) data from health services relating to alcohol related presentations at health facilities,

(e) other societal harm caused by alcohol consumption,

(f) the price and affordability of alcohol products, and

(g) such other matters he or she considers appropriate.

I was under the impression the off sales haven't gone up yet. They could still add the increase into MUP slightly raising the price with MUP if they wanted. I wouldn't put it past them, but you would expect even they would see the no point as the profits in mup are so fruitful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I cannot stand 440ml cans and they've turned a lot of the cheap beers into 440s now so they are no longer an option for me.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of decent 500ml beers available now? Shops might have an 8 pack of something like Carlsberg but you can't buy single 500ml cans of beer any more in most shops and there doesn't seem to be 4 packs of 500ml cans of anything really any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

It's beyond how one can miss any kind of cans. Cans are a crime. Refundable bottles or filling up own containers should be the only options, like it used to be in the USSR...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't know what it was like in the USSR, but this is a freedom issue not criminal one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement