Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭corkie

As they both seem to be mentioned a few times in this thread?

MEPs Clare Daly and Mick Wallace launch legal actions against RTÉ

Wallace and Daly have been prominent on both Irish and international media in recent weeks in their opposition to the EU providing military support to Ukraine. 

The two Irish MEPs were among just 13 who opposed a European Parliament motion which condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine at the beginning of March.

Both Wallace and Daly have argued that a peaceful solution to the conflict should be prioritised and they have opposed sanctions against Russia.

And to any posters still trying to explain away the war with 2 sides argument.

“Anyone who indulges in talking about ‘both sides’ is failing the basic moral challenge of calling out clear evil,

Quote Taoiseach Micheál Martin, Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

An incomprehensible amount of suffering could have been avoided for the price of a bullet or a vial of poison.

Is it 40 million the pre-war population was? - let an online list be compiled of those unaffected by this - let maths do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

In fairness surrendering comes as second nature to the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

In fact I believe they surrendered to Putin the day he invaded Ukraine just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

The French and Germans want this to go away so they don't have to worry about their cheap gas. Unfortunately its been shown up that having these two as the leading lights in europe is only a step away from disaster. The Germans waffle about arms being damaged or needing repair but you can be damn sure that if Germany was attacked tomorrow they'd pull stuff out from all angles. The most industrialised country in europe that spends its every waking moment telling us the brilliance of German engineering, how its superior to all others and they can't even fix up a few tanks or RPG's. Its not believable. The only explanation is the most obvious and that is that not upsetting Russia and the continuation of Russian gas to flow is the more important than Ukrainian lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It looks like the chances of someone taking out Putin are very slim and my hope of that at the start of the war have really diminished .Hope I am wrong but I am not optimistic at the moment .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Serbia is now a member of NATO's PFP program. These missiles were ordered in 2019, it seems that current events have led to a decision that "OK, we need these missiles now", much as Poland has asked for an acceleration of its M1 deliveries to this year. It's an interesting development overall, but not particularly relevant to the current fighting.

Surely coming into the summer there is enough reserves and LNG availability to turn this off for weeks if not months. Hes getting on average €360 million per day for gas alone. One month would see him out 9.5billion per month. The entire Russian economy would tank and possibly a mass food shortage. He'll quickly find that Ukraine wasn't worth the hassle. But it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

China will do what further advances their own strategic interests.

It would take months to even get those contracts sorted. Never mind the infrastructure to deliver. Theres no pipeline to india or china. 9.5 billion per month is a hit he can't take for any period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's pretty well known that the German armed forces have been allowed to rot away for quite some time. Which isn't to excuse the Germans for not doing more; but they do have large amounts of equipment which isn't operational. There's a reason they announced such a huge increase in spending as a result of Russia's invasion.

The frustrating part about Germany's response has been that they're not allowing German industry to complete deals with Ukraine to supply IFVs and tanks; which is a separate issue and is not really going to help Ukraine in the very short term anyway.

France is a slightly different story; I'm not even sure what they've supplied to Ukraine or in what amounts. For some reason they've decided not to say what has been sent even though virtually every other country has been very open about it. Possibly they're doing it to avoid criticism, or Macron wants plausible deniability when talking to Putin; who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

There's been a lot of fulminating against Germany on this thread but that graphic actually shows they are one of the bigger contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Ukrainians are certainly using propaganda, but it mostly seems to me to be via concealing setbacks and bad news and strongly pushing good news. But I am unaware of them using outright lies and misinformation to any degree. Would you have some examples where they have done so?

An accusation of the Ukrainians lying about the use of chemical weapons to gain sympathy from the west is pretty strong and needs some justification in my eyes.

This didn't start with the report of chemical weapons use, but several hours earlier:

"Occupation authorities in parts of Donetsk region of Ukraine via Russian State media urge to use chemical weapons against Ukrainian troops in Mariupol" https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/11-april-occupation-authorities-in-parts-of-donetsk-region

Russian state media is fairly open and verifiable source and unlikely to be subject to fake news originating from Ukrainian intelligence. So now the narrative has to be that following the convenient urging of chemical weapons use by Russian agents, the Ukrainians decided to mislead about them being used a few hours later.

Another circumstance the Ukrainians couldn't be argued to have engineered is the Russians appointing General Alexander Dvornikov, known as the butcher of Syria who has instigated the use of chemical weapons.

My version of Occam's razor has the simpler explanation being that the Russians went 1 then 2 then 3, rather than the Ukrainians seeing an opportunity and crying wolf and shouting 3.

Also, the US chipping in wouldn't hurt for the crying wolf scenario, but at the same time, it would more suggest the US perhaps has intelligence that certain brutal tactics were about to be used and that the Ukrainians wouldn't need to lie about it.

"Pentagon spokesman John Kirby in a statement last night. “These reports, if true, are deeply concerning and reflective of concerns that we have had about Russia’s potential to use a variety of riot control agents, including tear gas mixed with chemical agents, in Ukraine.”It’s unclear what sort of weapon was employed. CNN reported it appeared to be a small munition dropped from a drone that sickened three people. “Before today, there was credible information available to us that the Russians may have been preparing to use agents, chemical agents, potentially tear gas mixed with other agents, as part of an effort to weaken, to incapacitate the Ukrainian military and civilian elements that are entrenched in Mariupol,” State Department spokesman Ned Price told CNN last night. “We shared that information with our Ukrainian partners. We are going to be in direct conversations with them to try and determine what exactly has transpired here, and as soon as we gain additional fidelity, we’ll be in a better position to say what this was or what this may have been.”

I don't believe the US warned the Ukrainians chemical weapons might soon be used and the Ukrainians then piped up a couple hours later and said 'chemical weapons have been used'. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/as-new-russian-general-takes-charges-of-ukraine-invasion-reports-of-possible-chemical-weapons-use-in-mariupol

I'd imagine Russia couldn't be delighted to see China delivering missiles to a NATO aligned country. Especially one it has designs on taking back under its wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Which assumes they haven't been working on contingency plans in the meantime for if/when Europe pulls the trigger on oil or gas embargoes.

The key is that nobody knows what cutting off oil and gas will actually lead to. There is only speculation based on very little evidence or historical precedent; and based on intelligence departments who couldn't even decide whether or not Russia was going to invade Ukraine in the first place nor predict how adept their military was likely to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "taking back" ?

It was posted above what France sent and if its correct then Ireland probably sent more. Anti armour weapons and Fuel was the sum of it. They always talk a good game the french. World leaders at nuking coral reefs and that's about it.

Maybe not relevant to the current conflict but Serbia need to be watched. There's been fuckery in the Balkans ramping up the last few years and while the Serbs are playing along with their EU "aspirations" I would never be surprised to wake up on any morning to find out they've kicked **** off again.

I think you're giving Putin a bit too much credit here. Foresight is not a strong point if the last 7 weeks is anything to go by. He thought this would be over in a week. That the west would shrug and ignore. I very much doubt he spent any time looking to build a pipeline to China (whom I'm sure he probably detests but finds them a necessary evil, or to india where he has the small matter of somehow negotiating with Afghanistan (hates Russia) and Pakistan (hates India) to allow a pipeline or get china to agree to one to india through their territory. Its all a bit pie in the sky when you investigate it. Plus how does Russia getting knockdown prices from China and India help them vs getting two to 3 times the value in europe.

It was part of the USSR was it not under its former status as part of Yugoslavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

If Russia take Ukraine they have a land bridge of friendly countries right to the Balkan’s with Hungary and Serbia and then you have non NATO aligned Austria and neutral Switzerland and then the French who have already surrendered they could be at the Atlantic in weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I think part of it is brexiteer point scoring and I find that hard to separate from genuine criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh why are the the two C***s suing RTE ?

I mean it will be hard for them to argue their character was impuned or some such, when they have spent last month refusing to sanction a war criminal and his regime.

I am not allowed discuss …

Take Ireland and they'll have europe surrounded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it’s very relevant- to my mind, Serbia and Russia are one and the same. Their flags are almost the same ffs. Religion, language, culture, ethnicity are two sides of the same coin.

Yugoslavia was never part of the USSR and wasn’t aligned with the Warsaw Pact. Serbia are pro Russia alright, the other countries wouldn’t be

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah not fair is fair, they were quite good at sinking old trawlers in port as well. 😉

I am not allowed discuss …

They might have ticked a lot of boxes in terms of types of weapons but the numbers have been incredibly small for a country of its power and wealth. I think Brexit was one of the biggest follies ever undertaken but they have been ahead of pretty much everyone else in terms of military support. And when you see the "i'm alright jack" attitudes of the Germans and French it makes arguments for brexiteers so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well lets not get carried away. Ireland has sent no weapons at all. Ireland won't allow its "neutral" euros in the EU fund to be besmirched by someone using them to pay for weapons. If using that graphic (from https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118915712#Comment_118915712) as a source (dated March 26), the medical supplies are the "extra" for UK vs France (though going on posts here, sometimes you'd think UK is the only European country supplying weapons at all). On France I did see this article from a few weeks earlier (March 9) about lack of publicity or information out in public domain over exactly what they have done.

The Serbia Kosovo conflict in 1999 was probably the turning point in the souring of Russia - western relations. Putin came to power around then and they’ve been getting worse ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Yugoslavia didn’t need any interventions from the Red Army to maintain the communist regime. The other Warsaw Pact countries were far shakier and needed far more soviet assistance to maintain the system. This only increased Stalins paranoia and he often tried to take out Tito.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement