Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

That's the whole point of this bill in Florida. It is rooted in the protection of children. The preservation of innocence in their very early formative years. Asking to wait until they are 8 years old until they learn about LGBT is not asking too much. You might call it homophobia but I just call it letting kids be kids. You'd swear they were thowing gays off buildings like in the Middle East they way some people talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It isn't rooted in the protection of children. Protection of children is putting in place laws, safeguards, child protection policies. The fact that conservatives care more about guns after Sandy Hook tells you that.

But again, the bill ins;'t about protection, it is about stopping people talking. Where does freedom of speech sit with that? I thought that was all that mattered?

And what about those children that are the kids of LGBT parents? Do the parents have to pretend until the child is 8? If not, why is it ok for that child to know, but not their classmates? As what is the punishment for the child if they were to talk to their classmates about their parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Okay, so you agree that there is a clear difference between the two. It's a difference we all know, understand and agree on.

The reasons you've outlined above are the exact reasons why the two things are not the same, and why acknowledging LGBT rights does not open the door to acceptance of paedophilia.

So can you explain what you perceive to be the link between the two? For example in your post you say black people and women faced similar struggles in the past and you're not linking the two by saying that. However your argument that acceptance of LGBT rights could lead to paedophilia being accepted is akin to saying accepting black peoples rights could lead to increases in rapes of women.

So can you explain why teachers acknowledging different types of family structures exist can lead to acceptance of paedophilia?

The problem with liberal thought is that it's rooted in emotions and faux empathy. If we don't treat everyone the same, we end up with situations like the grooming gangs in England. Where one ethnic group gets away with grooming and abusing vulnerable young girls for years because everyone is afraid of offending anyone or being considered racist. But if the ethnicity of the perpetrators and victims was reversed it would be cracked down upon in a heartbeat. I think it's better for a few people's feelings to be hurt than for children to be exposed to overly grown up topics too soon. The risks outweigh the benefits. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You have heard about the catholic church? Come on, be serious now. Those were evil men, that happened to have a particular religion. Their religion had nothing to do with the evil they carried out. I am talking about both the grooming gangs and the catholic church.

No doubt the reverence that is given to religion has led to many perpertators getting away with rape and abuse of children for many years. Thankfully, that reverence that a persons belief somehow gives them protection of gives them a benefit of the doubt is falling away.

What had liberals got to do with grooming gangs in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

In my own inane attempt to bring us back on topic; I might suggest that Trump himself probably doesn’t give 2 damns about LGBT policy or the people such policies impact. He appears to just want praise from his base for doing things he thinks might be “on brand” with his MAGA shenanigans.

I might even further suggest that if the Trump Base had somehow been mostly made up of LGBT folk, he’d probably spout pro-LGBT stuff all of the time in order to get some praise from them. The guy does not appear to have any form of political scruples, beyond whatever he thinks will benefit him or make him look good to his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thanks Rawr, thought I'd wandered into the wrong thread there!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I doubt could tell you what the acronym LGBT stands for without prompting.

So I have a pretty small social circle overall. I know at least two same sex couples in Ireland directly. Then I also work with at least one couple in the US via work that have kids. So it's far from abnormal and your logic appears to be "treat it as abnormal". You haven't established any danger of teaching kids about it so what exactly are you safeguarding them from? Why is it dangerous for children about LGBT people? It's not remotely sexualizing to acknowledge that kids can different family structures, in fact it's protecting those children who are in different structures to educate about it so they aren't treated as abnormal.

Also in relation to your legalizing paedophilia bs, it's pretty telling that you don't seem to be addressing any of the posters that have pointed to the clear difference which is protecting from actual harm and the fact children cannot consent.

In relation to consent, ironically enough the Republicans have actively opposed teaching about consent as part of sex education.

what else could you expect from the party that brought you Matt gaetz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

Would probably think it was a sandwich.

Trump: An LGBT? Yes, I would like two, on white bread and hold the lettuce. Make them GBTs instead.

Interested to see if Woljtek favours consent classes. It's very much so something being pushed by the people he despises but it's a positive means to prevent abuse, rapes etc. And largely railed against by those who don't want kids to know about LGBT couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yeah like it was cracked down upon with Jimmy Savile et al. Your arguments are ridiculous.

Having a minimum age for marriage is being pushed by people he despises in the states and opposed by people he supports, but apparently only the ones he despises are acting like or enabling peodophiles.

That is the level of cognitive ability people are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think consent classes are fine and dandy, but I would also have classes warning young women not to take unnecessary risks like going home alone on a night out or to try and avoid getting too intoxicated and isolated from their friends. Consent classes will not deter the real predators out there, therefore we all need to work together to try and prevent incidents from happening.

I'm lost. What is it that I'm supposed to be agreeing with, according to you?

• Advertisement

Differences are twofold:

1. Savile was a lone wolf predator. The grooming gangs were groups in terms of perps and also victims
    2. The ethnic angle. The gangs were exclusively of Pakistani muslim origin and the victims were exclusively white English girls. They said themselves they were targetting white English girls.

I don't know what you mean, but I think 18 minimum age for marriage is absolutely a healthy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,710 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Do you think Donald Trump understands "consent"?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump is "Rich" when compared against wider society , that's for sure.

What is also clear is that Trump has never been anything close to the level of rich that he has claimed to be.

He is heavily leveraged and most of what he "owns" carries significant debt so whilst his Property portfolio is worth several billion the net value after debts is very very much lower than that.

From the little info we have from the tax returns we have seen he loses money almost all of the time and when he sued a journalist in court and lost he did not challenge the valuation which put his net worth in the low hundreds of millions - Not poor by any measure whatsoever , but also not anything close to "billionaire" as he has always claimed.

All the available evidence suggests that had Trump simply created an investment fund with the money his father left him (who was actually a good businessman) he would be worth quite a bit more in net terms today than he is.

The only truly profitable ventures that Trump has ever had are the two times he pretended to be something he wasn't.

He made money from "The Apprentice" where he pretended to be a successful businessman on TV and he continues to "make" money from donations by pretending to be a politician interested in the fate of the average American.

Well he has a clean criminal record so I'm going to say that yes he does understand the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. Tennessee Republicans don't. So if you are worried about pedophiles and the grooming of children, you should be more concerned about the laws the GOP are trying to push through in that state, than a Florida teacher telling her kindergarten class that one of their classmates having 2 mummies or 2 daddies is perfectly fine.

I hope this thread lasts another 2 years for the Trump re-election party. Will be sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Even the Taliban sets their age limit at 7. Y’all Qaeda are monsters.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Unless Trump stops talking about the last Election he isn't going to last that long , even with the GOP.

Everything points to a rapidly increasing dis-interest in what Trump has to say among Republicans.

His "rallies" are getting smaller and smaller each time he goes out , his endorsements have less and less value in terms of moving the needle and while I think that the GOP are probably going to do pretty well in November , I don't think the "Trump wing" is going to get much traction.

If he avoids major legal sanctions , I think that by this time next year Trump will be a busted flush in the GOP and they will be looking to move on from him - Probably towards someone like DeSantis.

• Advertisement

You poor mite. You seem to just be avoiding the fact you haven't illustrated any risk or negative consequences from children knowing about gay people.... You've engaged in some rather nasty false equivalences to justify regressive policies but actually making a put together argument, not so much.

Meanwhile I can point to positive benefits. Eg if children know from a young age about gay people has a knock on effect of reducing homophobia in later life. If children have same sex parents it's simply not a big deal. Meanwhile you wish to treat it as abnormal and equated it with paedophilia although you'll try to deny that. It seems more like the topic makes you uncomfortable and that's about it. (You'll like declare you have many gay friends that agree with you)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement