Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Very disingenuous. Considering there are 0 flights available from Ukraine and a ferry is not an option, of course their neighbouring countries have huge numbers. Crossing the border into them is literally the only way out. Poland hasn't "taken in" that many, it's given passage to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Incorrect.

Ireland has the most youthful population pyramid in the EU, with the highest % of the population below 15 years old and 25 years old respectively. The Irish population grows naturally (births - deaths) by 30K-40k annually, which is extraordinary in a European context.

You'll also be pleased to note that the crude birth rate increased by almost 4k in 2021, relative to 2020, bringing the Irish fertility rate close to replacement rate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 holodomor

Let us keep building houses and in 20 years no one will do anything Why would one go to work if his friend got everything for free from the government. And the money were taking from the person who was working and paying taxes.

I didn't say we don't have a youthful population, I said we have one of the fastest ageing populations

Can't post links atm, from The Irish Times, 2021;

'has one of the fastest ageing populations in Europe. Over the next 30 years our population over the age of 65 is set to more than double from 22 per cent of the adult population to 47 per cent. In addition, as life expectancy has been consistently improving, the fertility rate has been declining. With people living longer and fewer births the balance of our population is changing'

There are currently over 677,000 Irish citizens over the age of 66 and by the year 2050, there will be 1.8million citizens over this age – 767,300 by 2026, meaning that 5 years from now more than 16% of the population will be in retirement. In 2019, for every person who retired, there were 5 workers. In 2051, for every retired person there will only be 2. Will the government of that day have enough exchequer funds to pay the € 248.30 per week or whatever it will be then, to every pensioner in 2051 ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

? I'm not sure what point of relevance you are making.

Like, twenty years ago our population was less than 4 million. Now it's 5 million - a 25% increase, which we struggle to accommodate and service.

Twenty years ago, Poland's population was about 38.6 million. Now its 38.1 million - an actual reduction of half a million.

While Poland is obviously taking on a great challenge in taking in a large number of refugees, they obviously don't face the huge problem we face in coping with very significant population growth already.

Is this hard to follow? Is there some pertinent point you need to make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I thought I was being fairly clear, I included a quote showing the number who have left Ukraine.

I then said:

"Those 4 million + are not in Ireland, so I would understand they are spread out across a huge amount of European countries."

I thought that sentence made it perfectly clear that a huge amount of European countries are being open and accommodating.

So not disingenuous at all, just people not reading the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Unfortunately, comments like this are put there to silence people and close the debate. 'Contrarians'???? FFS.

This was a thread about our inability due to our housing circumstances which are very unique across Western Europe, to take on so many people so quickly and the knock on effects that would entail.

Can it just go back to that, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The fact is that Ireland a very youthful population by European standards, with relatively robust natural population growth. That population growth will continue for decades into the future, due to the tempo effect of population momentum. All of those future citizens will need access to education, healthcare, and housing. Even without immigration or the refugee crisis, that is a significant challenge for the state, in and of itself.

I'm not saying that this gives Ireland an 'opt-out' in terms of responding to the refugee crisis. However, we do face domestic population pressures, not evident in Eastern European countries, neighboring the Ukraine.

For my part, I'll check out the CSO stats to validate if that article you've linked is even remotely correct. Commentators in the media typically have a very poor understanding of demography.

Yes.

You believe that neighbouring countries to Ukraine are aging populations. I'm pointing out that Ireland have the fastest ageing population in the EU. And perhaps an injection of youth is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just to be clear. It was stated weeks ago that the pledge was for accommodation. It wasn't necessarily free accommodation. It's been known for weeks that the refugees could apply for HAP or rent allowance /supplement. A lot of stand alone houses & apartments are looking for HAP through the tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The issue though is that position is being used by some to shoehorn in other agendas. If this was a genuine discussion about where we will get the resources for this then fair enough but its not because of all the other agendas thrown into the mix.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Sure, that's obviously not the situation. Can we confirm that we've no shortage of people, and if we were attracting new migrants this isn't how we'd do it.

There is plenty of room here for more people.

immigrants and refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There really isn't though. Unless you just mean we've the actual physical space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You forgot to roll out the accusation of racism. Oh wait, doesn't work this time as last time I checked Ukrainians are White. And maybe you should check out that people's general attitudes to migrants and "race" for the craic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

When they are pensioners?

the working people, same way it happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

So we'll have to import more young people again to keep the pyramid upright ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have you actually spoken to any Ukrainians who've left family and friends behind and heard their story?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

First time I've ever heard of people pledging to a charity appeal and expecting payment in return for it.

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. This will happen because we will have an aging population, with more over 65 then under. That can be reversed if we have young people Simi g to live here and more children being born.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Would we not be better off encouraging people to have more children, especially working parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Of course there is, all we need to do is build 35k houses for the Ukrainians that'll stay here permanently according to the housing minister. What's the average cost of a house nowadays 300k+?- a mere 10.5 billion required for those who stay on for housing alone. And people go on about the children's hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We pledged a four bed vacant house . It costs a lot to fill an oil tank , pay for electricity , pay broadband , fill the fridge etc . Not everyone has that to spare every month . I am not actually sure what your point is

Well it would be a good idea yes. Childcare costs need to be subsidised way more then they are now. I think the government should be encouraging people to have more children, but that's a longer term solution.

Probably off topic here though

Why would we need to? The media are like a rash over every possible aspect of this conflict, and the subsequent refugee crisis.

It's pretty much impossible to avoid hearing every kind of report on what's happening, or the claims of what's happening (I say that because there has been a lot of inaccurate reporting going on during the whole thing, outright misinformation, or bias being shown.. The media are not going to stop pushing their agendas just because there's a war going on)

On a side note though, I have spoken to a few Ukrainians who have left family behind, who are safe and sound in the west of Ukraine. Also, these Ukrainians I met, hadn't seen any kind of combat happen. They were encouraged to leave by many different groups, so they did. Now, they'd like to return because their area is still safe, and not within any kind of combat zone, but they're being discouraged by others not to do so.

It's not just that though. The cost of the land in Ireland is rather high, considering that, well, we're an island. Who is going to compensate the landowners? Yup. The taxpayers. To buy land, and to build houses, for people who will be further supported by the taxpayer, and then, maybe, possibly, they will leave. Or they will stay to become taxpayers themselves, but considering the costs involved, how long before that "investment" is paid off? Or will they need further supports to stay here... and then we must be hopeful that the next generation will be more productive.. or will they simply leave to see their homeland..

I said this earlier in the thread, but people want to ignore it. Ireland is expensive compared to Eastern Europe. Everything costs more here. Land. Products, Services. Labour. It all costs a shitload more in Ireland than it would in Poland, which means any investment would go so much further in Poland than it would here. And considering the crisis itself, costs will be even higher here because of the strain it puts on the system, and people taking advantage of the situation.

It makes far more sense to house, and support the refugees in Poland, Estonia, Moldovia, etc.. than it does here. But I guess it wouldn't tick the right boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Houses are one of the large issues h re. Where are the GP spaces, the school spaces, hospital beds, university spaces, gardai, electricity generation etc to cater for increases in population. It's not just cos they're not Irish, before someone says I'm racist, as I'd say the same if the government found ways to encourage more births. We don't have the resources to cater for our existing population, so adding more is just idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I say that because there has been a lot of inaccurate reporting going on during the whole thing, outright misinformation, or bias being shown

Well then give us the truth?

Also Bias towards whom? The country being invaded and it's people being slaughtered? 😕

In your own time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Infrastructure is definitely an issue as it is in places like Poland who have taken a far larger proportion than anyone at present. However in terms of services, and indeed providing PPS numbers, many of those seeking refuge will also be seeking employment. We are likely to get quite a lot of qualified teachers, doctors and nurses (although I am not sure to what extent we recognise qualifications gained in Ukraine, it should be possible to make dedicated arrangements to allow refugees to fill such roles given the extra strain that will be put on these services with the numbers arriving in Ireland)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement