Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Irish Life for example, Trying to set up a monthly direct debit and they need a Irish Iban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Formal account closure notices will issue to customers from June 1 on a phased basis, a process that will continue until all customers have been contacted. Upon receipt of the closure notices, customers will have 90 days to close their account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That seems earlier than initially expected (?)

Or was that just wishful thinking on my behalf?

Have my BOI account set up and ready to go.....just need to go thru the pain now of moving a ton of DDs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I wonder what will happen to the 0.2% mortgage discount KBC customers currently have if they have a Current account and Mortgage with the bank. Will that disappear once we are forced to close our current accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Good question, hopefully we'll find out soon when the mortgage transfer details are announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

I read somewhere that the BOI will be keeping the reduced rate but there will be no need to have a BOI account for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Was in with my local CU at the weekend, ready to switch to them. 4 euro a month and always decent service. I am loath to go with a traditional Irish bank, I just don't think they provide good value to customers.

Wanted to go with Revolut but they're just not quite there yet for a full current account, through no fault of theirs, with the IBAN fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Bit of a shock this, I thought (hoped ) they'd give 6 months , I got an email last week mentioned letters coming out in June, nothing about 90 days and also mentioning subject to approval of the BOI deal 😳

I'm all set up and have opened accounts elsewhere though, just a small few things to complete before closure of KBC.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

Watching this thread with interest.

I'm a KBC customer, current account and mortgage with discount from current account.

I left my PTSB account open so I can just use this. My fixed rate is up in May though. Would I be ok with just extending for another few years with KBC and hoping the BOI deal is fine? It would suit me to stick with KBC for another year at least though.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Seems a bit premature to me to be giving 6 weeks notice that they're giving a 3 month window for customers to close their current accounts.

As far as I can see, the CCPC haven't even given their final ruling yet, which theoretically at least, could stop any transfer of business to BofI on competition grounds and certainly slow KBC's departure from Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't they carry over your DD's when you setup a new bank account and are closing an old one? Thought it was a requirement in the banking industry now.

Aren't BOI just taking over the mortgages though? KBC don't need any say so to stop standard banking?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Apparently not in cases were the bank is actually closing down and in any case I would not rely on it. If anything goes wrong, you won't be able to go back to UB to get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

In theory yes but in my recent experience it's not 100% reliable (when changing from UB to KBC a couple of years ago 😡)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭foxsake

was just gonna post this.

I'd problem getting paid due to this - hit them with the same link and they coughed up quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Who are people moving their current accounts to? Based on fees I am between PTSB and BOI. They have same fees roughly (6 euro per month) but PTSB offer a reduction in fees up to 5 euro when you use your card.

Any experiences on what app is better?

I rang a mortgage broker today as I wasnt sure whether to begin moving it now or after mortgage is moved to BOI. I think I am going to start the ball rolling on that now as its a good time to do a review on who is the best mortgage provider. KBC had the most competitive interest rate when I bought the house but its been over 4 years at this point.

I opened a an post smart account , €5 per month, quite a good app and facility to lodge cash and cheques at post offices. Customer service is utterly dreadful , 6 days to respond to an email , but in fairness, shouldn't need customer service much. Credit Union is another option, €4 per month and facility to lodge cheques, cash at credit union office.

For online, I have N26, basic account, virtual card and completely free.

I pay my mortgage by standing order so set that up easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Is your mortgage with KBC? Are you leaving it go to BOI?

If its me your asking, my mortgage is not with KBC , just had a current account 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm thinking about EBS, free account as long as you limit yourself to 5 monthly ATM transactions, cashback is free as well, just need to find a decent credit card provider now, one that has Google pay would be handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For anyone working in the public service do you know if they have any issues paying wages into N26? My previous job were a big no no to non Irish IBAN's

Really not interested in moving to any banks in Ireland, at least with KBC it was cheap maintenance charges, even the cheap EBS don't offer Google Pay as far as I know which while I don't use often is still handy if I forget my card

Just a mention of an article in last Fridays Irish Times, it was about this whole changing bank account situation, the Journalist went to an EBS branch to try open an account, was basically told next appointment , weeks away. EBS released a statement saying waiting times were not as portrayed , Journalist wasn't advised to try another branch. Just thought I mention this so you can check etc 😉 it would seem some remaining banks slow to open new accounts, staffing issues etc. This might be relevant for anyone doing a face to face account switch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd probably do it online so not much of an issue, I have a legacy N26 account I can fall back on if needs be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

AIB is €4.50 a quarter. They have fees for transactions but you could transfer money to Revolut or N26 etc. and use that for your day to day spending.

No maintenance or transaction fees if you also have your mortgage with them.

We'll probably move our mortgage and have a joint account with AIB to avoid the fees. My wife and I have Revolut and N26 so we probably won't bother with a b&m bank accounts ourselves.

If you check the KBC website they released this notice as they have decided they will pull out of the market even if the sale does not get approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

How can they "pull out of the market" if the sale doesn't get approval? If they don't sell the mortgage book, those mortgages remain theirs, no? Aren't "pulling out" and "selling the book" names for the exact same thing?

I suppose they could just manage the portfolio from one smaller office and operation much like investment funds manage mortgages they've purchased 🤔 obviously not their preferred option but a possibility I guess. They seemed to have offload most if not all non performing mortgages and loans. Managing performing mortgages I'd assume an easier undertaking.

They could possibly sell to someone else but its clear there done with the Irish market and will proceed with closure of personal banking services.

Do either N26 or Revolut offer joint accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Anyone joined N26 free waiting list?

i did last week and know it can take a while but not sure how long.

heard stories some got account right away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Suprised to see no mention of the EBS "MoneyManager" current accounts here, seems to be free and allows joint accounts, any reason not to go with them?

Someone earlier asked about Garmin Pay (which was the main reason I switched from Ulster Bank to KBC previously...that worked out well!) , the Revolut debit card now works on that too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I don't believe they do, N26 premium has a feature called shared spaces for trusted family members etc but it's not a joint account, I don't know anything about revolut, others might be able to comment.

Shared spaces details below but it's not something I'd have, just a basic free account.

Nope, I have both and asked both before and the answer was no unfortunately.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Can that account be opened on line, just curious, I understood it required an appointment, thank you.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

You need to call into one of their branches to do it - process outlined here - https://www.ebs.ie/content/dam/ebs/pdfs/daily-banking/ebs-personal-account-switching-pack.pdf

We are lucky enough that there is a branch close to us and are planning on doing it next week .unless someone here pipes up with a good reason not to as there seems to have been little or no mention of EBS on this thread (which is a little concerning perhaps???).

Thanks so much, I mentioned this account recently in relation to an article in last Fridays Irish Times, if you scroll back you'll see it. Basically there was reporting about delays getting an appointment. You've obviously been on the Ball 😁.

I assumed it would require an appointment and it does look like a very good account. I've no branch near me but certainly an excellent alternative account.

Thanks again, will be helpful for others to know also 😏

EBS have an excellent reputation it could be people looking for a good app, access to a branch etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I joined it at the end of December, I'm still waiting.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

we have a joint acc with ebs

pros:

free banking

cons:

no app

online is crap.

want to open an account that will be two branch visits.

one of the worst implementations of Multi factor authentication ive ever seen requires several log onto to get in at times.

a lot of things will either require a branch visit or a call to there customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

I do and I called them about it a while back as they were saying in branch to start moving my current account. The mortgage team told me if I close my kbc current account then I will lose the mortgage discount. So it seems that I need to wait for them to move my mortgage and then move my current account after that

• Advertisement

When you say free waiting list, what is that exactly, do you mean waiting list to open a free basic account?

But that couldn't be the case. Your current account is going to close before the mortgage transfer. KBC should release a statement on it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Their website says from the date of notification they will not charge account fees. It doesn't mention the mortgage rate but I'd imagine that would be included then as well.

Thanks, apparently they do have a "Cardmanager" app but its got a rating 1.4 on google play and on reddit people are, to put it mildly, not impressed. Get what you pay for i suppose, think we'll stay clear.

Leaning towards PTSB now looking at the comparisons on Bonkers.ie There are branches in Bray and Stillorgan which are not that far from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

PTSB appears to be the best to me in terms of charges (KBC was essentially free banking for me and even got a tenner cashback on the credit card most months). But PTSB's app is apparently pretty bad - anyone have any experience of it able to comment on that? I'm hoping it's not absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NetworkOrange

For those looking at EBS, just wanted to drops some notes on their apps. There are 2 apps. There is an "EBS Card manager" app, that just allows you to use your card. Then there is an "EBS Authenticator" app, which just gives you codes to log into your account. There is no app to view/ access your accounts or transfer money from your account. You must view your accounts via a browser. They are currently collating the feedback/reviews (mostly bad) about their online/mobile banking and will be looking at fixing it, but there is nothing currently in development.

Another thing to note is that you have to call them for everything. It technically adds a layer of security onto it.

• If you want to add and confirm a new beneficiary/account on your account to send money.
    • If you want to activate your card or you get a new one, you've to call them to add it to the app. The card will not work if its not activated on the app.
    • If you get a new device and have to reinstall the apps. You will need to call them to get codes, approve access. Codes are then sent BY POST. The apps are tied to your phone, only one device can have the app at any time. So if you get a new device, you've to call them, get the codes sent, then call again to deactivate the old device. Or get the app deactivated and codes sent at the same time, so no access to your account for a period of time.
    • If you go on holidays and don't want your card blocked in non-euro countries you will have to call in advance for security reasons. Even if you are going to the UK (This may have changed)

Now, with all the above said, they are good at answering the phone and the support is/has been great. It just all seems unnecessary having to call them about everything, when it can be done in other banking apps. So if mobile banking is important to you, EBS might not be the best option. You just need to weigh up the advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'll probably switch back to PTSB, they're still doing up to €5 cashback each month so fees are minimal and they now finally support Google Pay, it's just a shame their app is atrocious with the random security log outs which frequently happened just after logging in, plus the lack of fingerprint log in was a pain. Can't add a payee on the app either. Customer support was always ridiculous too, called once to query a payment and they were getting angry at me! Then when I went to cancel our joint account I was told I needed a signed letter from herself to confirm, then they said it had to be on their paper, then they said we both needed to be present. Absolute morons. When we finally got it cancelled the person somehow managed to cancel all of my girlfriend's personal account direct debits. Honestly...

KBC app is great and the customer service is helpful, friendly and I've never needed to wait on calls. Genuinely decent experience that I'll miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I agree! Been with both, KBC and PTSB. I couldn't stand being with PTSB longer than just a few months! Whenever I called, they get frustrated and give a false information. When asked to clarify they suddenly start giving a contradicting information.

I also had never had any issues with KBC. I particularly loved their chat and long customer service hours. They are also very clear with answered, never leave alone with more questions what I couldn't tell about PTSB.

• Advertisement

So PTSB seems like a nightmare too. Which leaves AIB who clearly don't want current accounts looking at their fee structure.

Then there's BOI and the Credit Union left for joint accounts.

There is a Core Credit Union very close to us here, the features seem decent and hopefully Credit Unions are not going the way of our last three banks - Halifax, UB and soon KBC. Totally fed up of it all now.

If N26 or Revolut did joint accounts we would be with them in a flash as we both already have separate accounts. The premium N26 sub shared accounts seems like a bit of a faff as you have to manually transfer money in there and I don't see how your mortgage etc bills could come out of there via direct debit, don't really see the point of that tbh.

Anyone have a account with Core Credit Union what's the app like/ how easy is it to set up standing orders and transfers?

Advertisement