Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Doomsday predictions?

Some of us were very vocal about lockdowns, in favour of them, when lots of people were dying and we were called Doomsday merchants.

Some of us have went through tough times before and the lockdown wasn't that difficult for us. Others, especially those under 35, have this sense of entitlement about them because they've been pampered their whole lives. As a result they don't care about anybody but themselves and maybe their wife and children if they are settled down.

I still wear a mask in packed places, an ffp2 for some personal protection, but never put one on in quiet places like my local shop which might have three or four customers in it at the one time.

I haven't contracted covid to this point although I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably fall foul to it at some stage soon.

I just want everybody to be safe and if the science and medical experts say that masks are required or lockdowns are required I'm willing to listen to them and not some uneducated idiot who thinks they know more than educated and trained professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Everyone's position on covid was selfish, yours included. Some have just deluded themselves into thinking they were in it for the greater good and claimed the moral high ground. You chose your position because you were more scared (and at risk due to being older) than those under 35. Lockdowns probably weren't as bad for you either because you aren't in rented, shared accomodation like those under 35. You have a family? Great! Those without one were unable to look for partners during this period (which has been so blazenly glossed over by the media, human nature be damned!)

The moral aggrandizing has always been pathetic. The people cheering on lockdowns were largely those the least interupted by them and the people giving out were largely those heavily impacted by them. One day you might realise the hypocrisy in pretty much every part of what you've just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

"if the science and medical experts say that masks are required or lockdowns are required"

So what science based trial/study did these medical experts refer to, to implement a lockdown or the use of masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its crazy given its the worlds factory, Shanghai is the busiest port in the world.

• Advertisement

I don't know be side I'm not trained in science or medicine. Are you?

As I said I listen to trained science and medical experts. Do you know more than them? If so what training in the fields of virus and pandemics do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

@eagle eye You were also very vocal around Christmas 2020 about a new wonder drug that was you claimed going to end the Pandemic in weeks. You too were following the "science". I believe your brother told you about it.

Now remind me how did that work out

No I'm not. At least in any of those fields. But I thought you might have know of the studys that they relied on the implement the lock down or the use of masks.

To the best of my knowledge there only a few studys on masking prior to covid 19, and they showed no real benefits. And none of lockdowns. There was only 2 cluster RTC trials on masks post covid and they only had a marginal effect. But don't take my word for it. Look up the Danish or Bangladesh mask study.

I could explain everything to you about it but let's just say multi billion dollar business shut down and debunked clinical trials that showed success with invetmectin as part of a treatment.

There's been studies since which prove that invermectin, on its own, doesn't help with covid but that's not what clinical trials were doing. It was part of a treatment which included high doses of vitamin d and c iirc and other stuff.

Despite all this, the state of Tennessee is about to make invermectin a prescription free drug.

I'm just an ordinary guy, my brother is a trained and very experienced bio-chemist. He was looking at clinical trials and told me they looked great.

Obviously I was delighted and shared that with everybody else. That was positive news, not doom mongering.

• Advertisement

I seen a video on a study done in infra red or ultra violet light, can't remember which, showing a massive difference in the spread from coughing between mask wearers and non-mask wearers.

Yes there was a study done as you described. But that was done in laboratory setting using a surgical mask properly fitted and wasn't really reflective of what happens in a real world setting, where the vast majority of people used cloth masks that weren't fitted properly. According to the Bangladesh study cloth masks were "no better than the unmasked group"

Mask mandates were brought in before these studys were conducted.

The mask study done prior to covid 19 were done on influenza and were shown to have no effect.

Remember at 1st the WHO said they weren't effective, then we heard that the "science changed" but they didn't carry out and RCT studys to suggest that the science changed. There were a few more studys done since but most were observational studys but were flawed. There is a new preprint study from Finland just out on masking kids, showing no real effects. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.04.22272833v1

I find it very disingenuous from people including "experts" saying they use/follow the science when it's clear that the science doesn't back up the views. We see lots of various mask mandates throughout the world ranging from fully everywhere to indoor and even selective people. There are many examples of this even within single countries, take the USA, New York has a mask mandate for kids between 2 and 4 years, yet not for adults, all the while the WHO have say only over 12 years should be masked. Or under 12 in if immunocompromised. This is not following the science. Its making it up as they see fit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Ok so you can assimilate information from multiple sources and arrive at an opinion. Why do you need a small sized country’s health expert panel to tell you what is safe and what is not? Plenty of contradictory and confirmation information out there. The key is not to let your personal safely aversions get in the way of logic. Take your individual fear out of the equation and apply common sense ,on a whole, for a societal scale.

Trained scientists and medics are not a hive mind.

The harsh reality is that most experts and politicians are clueless fools. They saw the hysteria and had to do something but they didn't know what to do so we all just copied China and went with lockdown.

When cases dropped we believed it was all thanks to restrictions. When another spike came we blamed lack of adherence or the unvaccinated or pubs that were closed.

Now we can see that it was all a load of tosh as cases spike and peak with no need for any silly restrictions.

You simply can't control nature from doing it's thing.

I don't have fear, a strength and weakness of mine. I think rationally about things. I follow advice from qualified people.

For instance when I was a kid I learned how to play sports from experienced coaches. At school I was thought by qualified teachers. At work I listened to and learned from experienced people. Which of the above would you say was the wrong thing to do?

Experts are clueless fools. Does that not sound stupid to you?

No, lots of them come from privileged backgrounds, went to good schools and got good results. I don't begrudge them that.

But when push came to shove all we did was copied China and kept strict restrictions in place for longer than most other countries because we thought they worked and wanted to protect our terrible health service that most of them are a big part of.

You sound like a person that needs their hand held a lot and constantly looks to others to be told what to do.

Many people have lots of skills in life that they learned themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭prunudo

You have to remember, a lot of the experts we see on tv and in the media aren't the real experts, they're personalities who the media have warmed to and sound like they know what they're talking about. The real experts are in the labs and doing the research behind the scenes, they found themselves in the midst of a once in a lifetime crisis which envolved their choosen profession. The real experts don't have time to be appearing on tv or radio shows, they've got their heads stuck in experiments and reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well that's a lovely rant about something I never said, my friend.

I was of course referring to the various talking shops who 10-14 days ago were calling on the government to reintroduce masks in some places. Who were predicting that record numbers of covid cases in hospital was just days away and that hospitals were on the verge of collapse with the pressure.

Literally the next day, numbers started to drop, and all these panic merchants slunk off into the darkness, never held to account for their doom-mongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There we have it folks. Hospitals now under 1000 coming in at 933 this morning. I don’t think i have seen such a rapid fall the last couple of weeks than in other waves? I could be wrong. It’s quite interesting when we have no restrictions in place.

Pat Kenny and Claire garden shed Byrne will have that as their main topic of conversation on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Allinall

We have vaccines in place. That's the big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Yep. Certainly making the difference, i know so many over 80’s now with a lot of health issues that caught covid since xmas and everyone of them got through it. All vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Important to also acknowledge the mildness of Omicron and the fact we're heading out of winter where respiratory illnesses tends to drop off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Again, you can't use the current situation to claim that restrictions do or do not work. Can you provide actual evidence rather than your uninformed opinion? You've been asked countless times by many a poster but you can't, just keep banging on about freedoms which says more about where you are coming from than anything else, as I said it's comical now and borderline thanks whoring 😂 Still one of the posters keeping it going but I can't tell you what to post either as it might impinge on your freedoms, anyway back on the ignore list 😀

Not really. Just a few months ago we were running around blaming the unvaccinated for all our perceived woes and introduced more restrictions with 93% vaccinated.

Ultimately and once again it was mother nature that ended this with Omicron.

Omicron is milder than Delta overall but it’s not really a mild illness per se. It’s a mild illness mostly for the vaccinated. My aunt refused the vaccine and got a bad doing from Omicron couple weeks back. It soon changed her tune and now wants the vaccine.

You are half correct. However it was the vaccines preventing serious illness and the hospitals being overwhelmed that we could let it rip and let mother nature do it’s thing by gaining some immunity .

• Advertisement

You are literally living through the evidence right now. Cases and hospital numbers are dropping with no restrictions in place.

Look at the actual data worldwide. Cases rise and drop in all geographical locations regardless of what level of restrictions they had.

Advertisement