Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radiator fan on everytime I drive

Options
  • 12-04-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey,

I have a 17 vw golf 1.6tdi it's in great condition but I notice that everytime I drive it the radiator fan comes on even if I just go half a mile down the road to the shops, it turns off after a few minutes when the car is stopped. Is this normal? Its running perfect apart from this and has enough coolant and all

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

I think the fan stays on when you stop the car if it’s trying to do a DPF regeneration, or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep happens with lots of vw vehicles, happens to my audi and my neighbours audi and skoda. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It is something to worry about if it’s repeated failed regens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Have 12 Octy, and it had the stupid fix done before I bought it. It does alot of regens. If I could reverse the software change I would.

Your Golf is newer and there's no fix required for them thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Why would you want to reverse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Just one example......

Plenty more reports of issues with VAG stuff after the Emissions fix. I'm sure you're more than aware of this 😉

If the update was done before he bought the car and the update is stupid, then why buy the car is what i dont get?

In my honest experience, the update makes SFA difference to 99% of cars power or reliability wise, but it did seems to tip EGR valves over the edge on the 1.6 units but again in my honest experience they were more than partial to EGR cooler failure before that update ever existed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Kinda agree with you...but that's not what you asked.

Anyway, I ran two 1.6 VAG 1.6Tdi's here for about the last 4 years or so. One had the Fix done (before I purchased it), the other didn't.

The 'fixed one' did approx 3 regens for every regen the standard Car did. Both DPF's filled with ash at about the same rate though, and were promptly gutted and mapped out at around 170k miles.

The fixed Car had an EGR fault at 100k miles ( blocked off and mapped out). The other one never gave EGR trouble.

Other than that, not much between them. No injector issues, although it was always a worry.....

No, i justed asked why he'd want to reverse it. If the car is doing more regens, why is that an issue? If the car is in good health, it makes no difference.

My own 1.6 Golf had the update done just after i bought it in 2018, i had it like yourself just shy of 4 years, put about 70k on it which isn't huge in the scheme of things i suppose and it gave no bother at all, relative to the fix at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm on the skoda forum and they advised against the fix if it wasn't done.

Didn't realise about the fix before I bought it. Had 120k km and within 2 weeks egr valve went faulty. I'd reckon it was gone before I bought it.

Skoda garage no problem replaced under warranty. Love the car but regens way to often. I think along with software reversal there's a mechanical bit to change.

Also valve is guaranteed for 2 years and the service manager assured me that dpf was in good condition.

Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. But sure, look...

Advertisement