Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Though those numbers are entirely fictitious, it is a surprisingly high number of starships.

it’s becoming clear that the only way Putin is stopped is of his army is resounding defeated. This is a crusade for him and a large part of the Russian people. If he’s not stopped in Ukraine, then Georgia and Moldova are gone. And then he’ll be so bold he’ll start to look to the Baltic.

I don’t see how this ends without NATO ultimately fronting up to him directly. In Ukraine before it spills any further

for the first time I’ve started hearing military experts talking of joining the war. A big change in tone from a couple weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Given how quickly those pre-refit Connies are dispatched in the Original Series, I'm not surprised. Sure, a Constitution class is powerful, but if the M5 incident showed anything it's that these ships are very much glass cannons! Enterprise took down four of her sister ships single-handedly when her onboard computer went haywire. And a few years before that, during the incident that led to the loss of USS Discovery, a single torpedo took out most of her forward saucer section.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

This thread is great.

Fook the Russians...

Fook the French...

Fook the Germans...

Fook the Swiss..

Fook the US...

Fook the Chinese...

It's just pub talk at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Your Star Trek knowledge is far superior to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's just pub talk at this stage.

Appropriate username

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some people might recall that some time ago in this thread I posted a photo and article about how the Ukrainians were 3D printing plastic fins and fitting them to large, obsolete anti-tank grenades so they could be dropped from drones.

Well I think I have just come across video of them actually being used:

Note the battery level indicator in the display. Those things must weigh a good few Kg each, and that vertically hovering drone just dropped 3 of them. It could probably carry a toddler!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's killed it dead, all of Europe has had a preview of Germany and Frances attitude towards them "Not our problem, we're happy to use you as sandbags without risking our profits" while Brussels does whatever the French and Germans want as per.

America and Britain kept Ukraine in the fight.

I know the BBC oddly failed to mention it in that report but you do realise that Macron is in power and he won't ban Russian gas either, don't you? 😂

Anyway you were saying something about a complete and utter disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Honestly, I'd take the risks associated with serving on a Constitution class if it meant getting me off this planet at the moment 😉

Especially since Star Trek lore puts WW3 sometime between the 1990s and 2063...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

My father spoke fluent French and was in Paris when the Germans invaded Poland. He bumped into someone from the British embassy who advised he leave immediately. As soon as he arrived back in the Uk he enlisted in the Royal Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The German President and that delegation could be a security risk to Zelensky.

Could you guarantee that locations, meeting places etc would not be sent to their friends in Moscow before they even left Berlin.

The German President has been very open about his pro Russia position and his pride in Germany remaining aloof of helping Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Not much gets past those Ukrainians.

"The Ukrainian Embassy in Ireland has called for a ban on the "Z" symbol, Ukraine's ambassador to Ireland after a pro-Russian rally in Dublin this weekend called for a ban on the "Z" symbol associated with support for Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Sharing the video of the action on Twitter, the Ukrainian Embassy in Ireland called it disgusting that Russians living in Ireland show their complete disrespect for the country of residence and the Irish who oppose Russia's war in Ukraine.

"Z," a symbol of murder and atrocities, must be banned by law in every democratic state," the embassy said in a statement."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I haven't listened to many of them but any I have listened to seem pretty genuine; and I'm not really sure what Ukraine gains from fabricating them.

Forget whether they're real or not for a moment, they are manna from heaven to the Ukrainians. Huge propaganda points. I mean you're willing to paint them as seeming genuine out of the gate. Why? Can you speak Russian to a level of fluency to make such a call, or are they simply reinforcing what you already want to believe?

We've all picked a side. Myself included and it's Ukrainian lest any of the usual mouth foamers looking for reds under the bed are wondering. However both sides, including mine will use all the advantage they can. If they picked up a phonecall where a Russian wife or mother who saw Western media and was dubious about the war and was asking her son about it and he was telling her they weren't raping and murdering civilian Ukrainians(even if he was only saying this to placate his wife/mother) do you think they'd be as quick to release that? Of course not.

From reading reports from Ukrainian people in previously Russian held towns at least in some cases there seems to be some Russian troops who are acting relatively OK and another bunch who are animals. I suspect - and we'll find out when it's over - that the OK ones where they exist are the professional troops, the animals the conscripts and regional cannon fodder.

Historically Russian troops are well known for being looters and rapists. WW2 showed us that and it certainly gets left out of Soviet/Russian history of that conflict. The famous pic of hoisting the Soviet flag over the Reichstag where the Soviets airbrushed(they had lots of practice with Stalin) looted watches off the wrist of the guy propping up the flag waver.

Pretty understandable too given how the nazis treated Russians in their invasion. US, French and Brits were involved too, but more on the looting rather than the raping mass murder front. A couple of rellies of mine were in Germany in the run up and the aftermath of Germany's surrender in WW2 and they told me the Russians were hated by the locals and for good reason. There were horrible events like German mothers dragging themselves and their little kids into rivers to drown themselves to get away from them. Unfúcking real. Though apparently once it was over the Soviets were notable for being kind to German children, bringing them food. The French were distrusted even hated the most apparently, the British and Americans most liked. One who had some minor dealings with Soviet troops told me their officers were usually well educated men, but their ordinary soldiers were mostly barely literate farmboys from the hinterlands with a lot of scarily young troops in tow.

So it's not as if the Russians don't have previous in this kinda horror. They've been revved up over the last ten years by putin's propaganda machine and it seems in the very early days judging by how they were generally dealing with Ukrainians they were told they'd be welcomed. That didn't last long, so they've believed the first lie and the second was made clear by Ukrainian resistance and effective resistance at that. So Russian troops going full on evil wouldn't and doesn't surprise me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Moldova as a whole is,but not the breakway region where the russian are are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not close to clear. I hate to break it to you but putin's forces have already been stopped. He didn't take Kyiv when clearly he wanted to. He didn't install a puppet in Kyiv when clearly he wanted to. His forces have been shown to be third rate only gaining ground by virtue of sheer numbers and even then have been repelled on a few fronts and by an army dwarfed by his. He's taken the Donbas areas where pro Russian support is strongest, he's still trying to take Mariupol, which has been hammered for weeks and though it's likely a done deal they're still holding out. Finland and Sweden are seriously eyeing up NATO membership. Germany is rearming. Sanctions against Russia are ongoing and though the gas "problem" is still in play the nations involved are all looking to pivot away from any reliance on Russia. His currency is in freefall, propped up temporarily by banking sleight of hand, his airline industry is a dead man walking, his economy is going backwards, his braindrain and demographic fall gains pace, him and his country are facing war crimes verdicts and they've pretty much no friends in the West and the West will never trust his nation while he lives. And you really think he's going to try for Georgia and Moldova, never mind the Baltic states which are members of NATO?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Who do you think funds her political adventures he's called Vladimir

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The Ukrainians will fight to the death in the east and the south.

Biggest problem is logistics and getting them the weapons and munitions they need.

Could the EU not set up a "humanitarian enclave" in the west of Ukraine and serendipitously use this as a pretext get arms to east Ukraine quicker.

It would maybe get more medical supplies to those who remain in west Ukraine

Mad thought I know, but Mad Vlad is clearly getting ready to overwhelm the east and south without concerns about how much men and weapons he will lose.

He doesn't give a flying fook about his army or his population as the sanctions won't affect him directly,

It will effect his people but then again he doesn't really care what they think

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

What I still don't understand about Russian tactics from the get go is:

A) why drive for Kyiv when he could have gone for the "independent states" and likely taken them far more easily and likely gotten far more away with it, like he did with Crimea.

B) why didn't his strategists not go straight for infrastructure from the start? The American MO is gain air superiority(the seeming lack of Russian airpower is very weird on its own), hit every military target you can find and blast it to rubble, take out phonelines, power, water and comms. Only then send in boots and tracks on the ground, knowing your enemy is now nearly completely bilnd, deaf and dumb. Costs more to rebuild yes, but your guys get the contracts for that and it risks fewer flag draped coffins and a speedier end to the war/invasion.

I mean they rolled up to the outskirts of Kyiv and nearly surrounded it, but the power was on, people were able to get on the interne and get news out. He has done all of that to Mariupol, but even there he ramped up to it. Just puzzling to me.

The only explanations I can come up with is they genuinely thought theyd be welcomed or get far less resistance so never allowed for this course of action and/or they realised they simply couldn't afford to blast the infrastructure too much as they couldn't afford to rebuild and fix it and/or they simply couldn't prosecute that kind of a war, or a bit from one, a bit from the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The only explanations I can come up with is they genuinely thought theyd be welcomed or get far less resistance so never allowed for this course of action and/or they realised they simply couldn't afford to blast the infrastructure too much as they couldn't afford to rebuild and fix it and/or they simply couldn't prosecute that kind of a war, or a bit from one, a bit from the other.

This seems the most likely explanation to me. Its not entirely without merit given the success of their Crimea and Donbass operations in 2014. But it does ultimately seem to be an element of self-delusion about a rickety government falling quickly. Probably expected Zelensky to flee at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭brickster69

Russian missile launchers heading to Finland's border

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

This is standard Russian infowars, they release videos of troop movements, and then people share them. Now they're doing it because Finland is joining Nato.

A lot of it is just scare tactics, any bigger buildup won't go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Reading some discussion on this early on in the invasion and Russia was convinced that Ukraine was not a 'real' or unified country, more a bunch of competing tribes and rival clans, which would fall apart at the seams as soon as the Russian army entered the country (you often heard this viewpoint expressed on those ghastly discussion programmes on state TV). They were quite shocked then to see Ukrainians rallying around the flag and getting behind Zelensky,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember the Posters telling us how Badly dived the whole of Ukraine was and how all of the east of the country wanted to rejoin Russia and the west wanted to join the EU,

And yet no one in Ukraine seems to support the Russian liberation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement