Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

I always have the foot on the brake (out of habit) when at a complete stop in traffic, so that if I get a love tap from the car behind I (hopefully) wont be shunted into the car in front.

I appreciate that the car will hold itself when at rest, but I am unsure if it would hold if my foot wasnt on the brake in such a situation so apply the brake as a precautionary measure. It might also be a complete waste of time.

Post edited by wassie on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The pedals for the Kona are to adjust the level of regen up or down and as pointed out above, in the Kona if you hold in they agressively bring the car to a complete stop via regen

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

A quick click of the paddles allows adjusting the regen while driving without having to go to the menu which is great. Hold in the right paddle to swap between auto regen and normal regen. As mention click and hold in the left paddle, this uses a regen level higher than level 3.

Auto regen is great and is a bit of a safety feature. Not sure if it's meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Do the ID cars keep the lights on when they're in auto hold? I'd check myself but the car goes into park whenever I get out of the drivers seat 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah I never got the attraction of having paddles to set the regen, do people really change it that often?

Having said that some configuration would be nice, the ID cars basically just have D mode for minimal regen and B mode for max regen. Really wish they had a proper one pedal mode, two pedal driving is far too much work for me 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

TBH never checked, but I doubt it. Must have a look on my Model 3 as well, at least you can see from the car graphic on screen when brake lights are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Every day. Zero for motorway. Level one or two for local driving, squeeze the paddle every now and then for braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

Yeah, brake lights stay on in auto hold, only noticed that recently.

Hmm, okay fair point. I still feel like the paddle shift would be for something you'd be using every few seconds

While I like the simplicity of D and B modes, I do feel it silly that the ID cars lack a one pedal mode that Kia/Hyundai have.

I still feel like Nissan have it best with just a switch to turn one pedal on and off, no need to hold anything down

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Recently got a model 3 and while I love it, I dislike that the regen is set so strong all the time. I know I can use c control, but I miss being able to ‘freewheel’ at times like in my ice car. Some of the cars I test drove ( Kia? and perhaps Hyundai) had a few regen settings, one of which effectively allowed coasting. I think I would prefer a few options here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We love the 1 pedal driving of the Model 3.

set it on Hold (Full regen) the 1st day and have never changed it since…..

52,000km on the car and the brake pads are only just worn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

A week or two ago I'd have said full Regen all the way. Got used to it way back in an i3 and have driven using one pedal and max Regen 95% of the time in all cars since.

The new i4 has an adaptive Regen setting which is fantastic. You can do the old pulse and coast manoeuvre that Leafs used to love. It senses traffic and bends and adjusts the Regen on the fly. So much handier than messing with paddles or finding a sweet spot on the accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Not perfect is correct, you need to take into account the voltage of the car's battery, for Tesla M3 SR/SR+/RWD this will differ, this impacts on the 50kW units moreso

Maybe they should have just put in a random number generator 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

If you hold up the gear selector to the first stop when in drive mode the car will go to N and you can freewheel at your hearts content. I sometimes do that if somebody's tailgating me and I want to very gradually slow down to the new limit or at long motorway declines. But otherwise modulating the throttle for just right amount of regen is a second nature to me after driving with this and before that with Nissan ProPilot both of which operate pretty much the same.

That Regen is aggressive for good reason, in the 26k Kms I drove in my Model S 34% of the power used was through Regen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Well not really. There's still an inefficiency of using too much power and needing Regen to slow you down. Sure you get most of it back but there are losses.

Now, if I'm just going for a spin on the backroads and want to have a bit of fun then max Regen/B Mode to help aid late breaking but that's a very different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I had 4 different levels of regen braking in my last EV (zero / coasting, mild, medium and strong). It was a bit gimmicky, I usually just used medium. And on longer motorway journeys switched to mild or even off as @stesaurus rightly points out, you actually lose range if regen is too strong. The battery in that car was very small and I sometimes needed the range

In Teslas you have either standard or low regen braking. Standard is fairly strong and has one pedal driving in Model 3 and Model Y. I leave it to standard and I don't like when you don't get any regen braking when the battery is full or very cold. Also one of the reasons I now dislike driving ICE cars. Some people who are no big fans of regen, just switch it to low.

Unfortunately Tesla, well the RWD I have, has done away with the two levels of regen. Strong most of the time unless the battery a bit cold. Loved the smart regen on my VW, I'm sure saved me more than once from speed fines..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah ok, every day a school day. It's a good few months since I last drove a Model 3 (Freemont made Performance) and I didn't spot that in my test drive of the (China made) Model Y last week (I like one pedal driving, so never thought to have a look in the menu). All Model S and Model X have two levels afaik. I wish they had one pedal driving too.

Yeah, that sucks if you don't like strong regen. But I bet you will get used to it though?

Yea, used to it this stage after about 2.8K kms. But I find at times I would like a zero regen, particularly when not in a hurry. You just have to be aware that in the Tesla, similarly the new Ioniq 5 (When in zero regen) that there is no regen on the brake pedal. Does give the Tesla slightly more normal feeling brakes though, if you need them.

Often find I stick on the basic cruise control briefly even on country roads just to stop getting cramp in my right foot..🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Are you saying you get cramp in your right foot from keeping it on the accelerator? How long would you have been driving before suffering from cramp?

It's not so bad as I perhaps made it sound, but I do like to move my feet around from time to time whether driving or on a long haul flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Same here. This is part of my minor gripe with my new M3. As I said above, always on regen, coupled with a stiffish accelerator pedal (strong spring, if you know what I mean - can empathise with @eagerv’s cramp)

Then along with this, there’s nowhere to put my right foot when using cruise control. My ice has a ‘shelf’ to place my foot beside the accelerator (at the same angle) when using cruise control, but in the Tesla I can only place it flat on the floor which is far less comfortable on a motorway trip.

Now don’t get me wrong, I do love the M3, but I would prefer a footrest and regen level options.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Leaf insurance up for renewal in the coming days.

Anyone renewed their ev recently? And if so, who was competitive for electric cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I got a good renewal price from chill.ie (agent) and they are nice to deal with also. But as usual check a few usual suspects before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

AXA for me.

123 were almost €900 for my renewal.

AXA online €507 and when I rang them they gave it to me for €480.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

123 for both cars now..

Had the Tesla for the 1st 2 years with XS Direct (started a fresh new policy with 0 NCB) but they are shutting down so 123 was the best price @ €885

Very easy to deal with regarding document uploads and online portal etc...

• Advertisement

Aviva were cheapest for me, but we've both cars plus house so getting the biggest discount. I don't think we got any particular discount for having EVs, I think it's entirely based on the age and value of the car

Advertisement