Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭plodder

"There are no rules in nature".

That's basically a denial of science. It's saying that when a fetus has the SRY gene you can't predict with a high level of confidence it will turn out male.

"'The whole sex verification testing is done in anything BUT good faith, it’s done on the presumption that it’s capable of confirming suspicions that athletes are cheating."

Cheating implies intent and testing can't prove that. All it proves is whether the rules are being observed or not. Athletes are certainly capable of cheating as the drug testing regime proves, though it's clear in many DSD cases there was no intent to cheat. And the New York Times article you quoted does acknowledge that several Russian athletes dropped out when sex testing was introduced. Those Russians would never cheat would they? So, the tests technically never detected any imposters, it just prevented them which is the same outcome.

As I said before, chromosome testing is a more humane and less invasive test. It was abandoned already in the vain hope that rules could be put in place that are inclusive and fair to everyone. It's questionable whether that is possible with DSDs. It's definitely not possible with trans women unfortunately.

By the way, I see you posted about the technological advance in running shoes and regard it as "a funny story". I don't see what's funny about it. World Athletics had to react one way or another. The Vaporflys have a proven advantage. They either have to try and ban them or regulate them in a way that levels the playing field, such as by making sure they are on the market for long enough that everyone (who can afford them) can buy them and you don't have a situation where eg. only the US team is using them at some big championships.

"I might as well add that if anything should be considered meandering, it’s the attempts by some people falling over themselves to invent new terms such as “biological males”, “biological females”, “trans identified males”, “trans identified females”, in an attempt to distinguish between men and women according to their own personal beliefs. I prefer to keep things simple and just say men and women, but for the purposes of being reasonable, I’ll make accommodations for people who don’t refer to people using basic terminology."

I think that's a good example of how this is nothing more that a battle of wills over controlling the every day words we use. I could just keep things simple and say men and women with the meanings they have had for centuries, but that doesn't capture what the debate is about, and hence the need for qualifiers like biological or trans. So, posters here aren't falling over themselves to make distinctions merely according to their beliefs. They are trying to engage with the topic with clear language. But, it's good of you for being "reasonable" to accommodate this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There’s plenty of scientific evidence to support the idea that gender identity is as legitimate as any other innate identity that contributes to an individuals sense of self, and people with intersex conditions are a pretty good example of the just how innate the concept of gender identity is in humans -

A 2005 study on the gender identity outcomes of female-raised 46,XY persons with penile agenesiscloacal exstrophyof the bladder, or penile ablation, found that 78% of the study subjects were living as female, as opposed to 22% who decided to initiate a sex change to male in line with their genetic sex. The study concludes: "The findings clearly indicate an increased risk of later patient-initiated gender re-assignment to male after female assignment in infancy or early childhood, but are nevertheless incompatible with the notion of a full determination of core gender identity by prenatal androgens."

A 2012 clinical review paper found that between 8.5% and 20% of people with intersex variations experienced gender dysphoria. Sociological research in Australia, a country with a third 'X' sex classification, shows that 19% of people born with atypical sex characteristics selected an "X" or "other" option, while 52% are women, 23% men, and 6% unsure. At birth, 52% of persons in the study were assigned female, and 41% were assigned male.

A study by Reiner & Gearhart provides some insight into what can happen when genetically male children with cloacal exstrophy are sexually assigned female and raised as girls, according to an 'optimal gender policy' developed by John Money: in a sample of 14 children, follow-up between the ages of 5 to 12 showed that 8 of them identified as boys, and all of the subjects had at least moderately male-typical attitudes and interests, providing support for the argument that genetic variables affect gender identity and behavior independent of socialization.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity

Being honest with you, I don’t do a whole lot of reading around the topic, I’d say I was barely even scratching the surface as it’s such a vast area of study, but one thing I have no interest in whatsoever is the kind of nonsense that plays out on platforms like twitter, facebook and Snapchat and whatever the new and cool platform is. I mean, I’m aware that the people you’re referring to do exist alright, and I get the point you’re driving at, but between myself and yourself, I really don’t have any time for that sort of identity politics and attempting to police other people’s right to freedom of expression. That’s a rabbit hole I’d rather not go down -

https://www.reddit.com/r/asktransgender/comments/8nssii/can_someone_explain_the_truscumtucute_ideologies/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right so basically now the level of discussion is that trans women just dont exist 🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It’s not a denial of science, it’s the very opposite. Your point was that the exceptions don’t make the rule, something like that anyway, and I was pointing out the fact that in nature, there are no rules. Science is just the tool by which we observe natural phenomena, it doesn’t determine anything.

You make the point that cheating implies intent as if that isn’t the intent, and then ask what I have to assume is a rhetorical question about whether or not Russian athletes would cheat. Are Russians predisposed to cheating because they’re Russian or something? Are you confident enough in your assertion that you would argue that Russians should be banned from sports on the basis that they’re likely to cheat? I don’t need science to be fairly confident you can see the parallels with that idea and the same idea applied in a whole boatload of other contexts.

Fair enough if you don’t think the furore about the shoes giving their wearers an unfair advantage was funny, I thought it was hilarious that the fastest man on the planet was complaining about the wearer having an unfair advantage, while the fastest woman on the planet pointed out fairly IMO, that such arguments were an attempt to undermine the hard work she and her coach have put in. I dunno if you read the article, but both Bolt and Fraser-Price are Jamaican, as is the veteran sprint coach who made the point that there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that the shoes offer the wearer an unfair advantage -

Veteran Jamaican sprint coach Stephen Francis admitted faster times are being run in Nike’s new sprint spikes.

“Based on anecdotal evidence and based on the fact that you have people who never would have run as fast as they are running, I suspect that there may be a point, but there is no scientific basis to make that point,” Francis said. Whatever the advantage, he said, anyone can benefit from Nike’s technology based on the rules set by World Athletics.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/20/weird-and-unfair-usain-bolt-criticises-advances-in-spike-technology

If I were to speculate, I’d suggest the placebo effect is largely in play in those circumstances tbh.

No rules in nature then. What about all the rules listed on the page below?

Science is more than "the tool by which we observe natural phenomena". It encompasses theories that explain these phenomena too.

I genuinely can’t tell if you’re actually being serious right now, or if you’re only messing 😂

It’s difficult to tell seeing as you couldn’t see the funny side of Usain Bolt complaining about the runners, and even in those circumstances I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his objections had nothing to do with the fact that he’s sponsored by Puma, one of Nike’s biggest rivals 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bolt doesn't run competitively anymore, his concern was about his records being broken (and they will, probably by someone with better shoes, just as Bolt had better shoe technology than those running in the 80's or 90's, about the only certainty is that the person who breaks them won't have been born female).

As pointed out above, sports regulate equipment so that everyone can have access, it's one of the reasons the swimsuits were banned (along with their ridiculous single use nature), however today's more accessible swimsuits have a lot of the same advantages anyway, the technology has matured and more people can access it.

about the only certainty is that the person who breaks them won't have been born female

So you’re telling me there’s a chance… 😬

Dear God if that goes over your head there’s no hope 😖

I'm quite serious. It's an extraordinary thing to say there are 'no rules in nature'. And then say this claim is consistent with science. What about Newton's laws, or the laws of thermodynamics? Aren't they real?

Ok you were serious then.

They’re rules in science, there are still no rules in nature.

Weird hill to want to die on, but have at it.

• Advertisement

So, take Rapoport's Rule (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapoport%27s_rule) off that page for example, which states:

"that the latitudinal ranges of plants and animals are generally smaller at lower latitudes than at higher latitudes."

If that is a rule of science which clearly refers to nature. How can it not be a rule in nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Just on your conclusions why bother having a well-coordinated multidisciplinary international research program, if the outcome is already pre-determined; to fairly integrate transwomen and DSD women athletes into elite sport.

This research program may well find that it's not possible to fairly integrate them, surely the goal of this research program should be to determine if it is possible to fairly integrate transwomen ( and DSD women) into elite sport

How can it be a rule in nature, when by your own admission, it’s a rule that refers to a phenomenon observed in nature? It’s a rule based upon observation, much like laws, principles, theories, etc, all observations in the life sciences which refers to phenomena in nature. Like, the explanation is right there in your previous link:

From the birth of their science, biologists have sought to explain apparent regularities in observational data. In his biologyAristotle inferred rules governing differences between live-bearing tetrapods (in modern terms, terrestrial placental mammals). Among his rules were that brood sizedecreases with adult body mass, while lifespan increases with gestation period and with body mass, and fecunditydecreases with lifespan. Thus, for example, elephants have smaller and fewer broods than mice, but longer lifespan and gestation.[3] Rules like these concisely organized the sum of knowledge obtained by early scientific measurements of the natural world, and could be used as models to predict future observations. Among the earliest biological rules in modern times are those of Karl Ernst von Baer (from 1828 onwards) on embryonic development,[4] and of Constantin Wilhelm Lambert Gloger on animal pigmentation, in 1833.[5] There is some scepticism among biogeographers about the usefulness of general rules. For example, J.C. Briggs, in his 1987 book Biogeography and Plate Tectonics, comments that while Willi Hennig's rules on cladistics "have generally been helpful", his progression rule is "suspect".

That’s what I mean when I say that science is a tool, it was developed by humans and has it’s origins in philosophy, as a means of explaining phenomena observed in nature. To go back to the earlier example you gave and at least make it somewhat relevant to the thread - science can be used to predict with a high degree of confidence the progression of human development, and based upon these observations, the observers formulate their ideas of how the process of human development should go.

Because there’s no conscious agent involved in nature, it would simply be incorrect to suggest that nature has the capacity to determine how anything about human development should go. Nature just doesn’t have a set of rules to follow. Humans came up with the rules, and we’re pretty rigid about them, to the point where we suggest that any phenomenon which doesn’t conform to our expectations is classified as a disorder. That’s not nature determining that whatever phenomenon is a disorder. It’s humans who are choosing to classify their observations the way they do.

Where it gets dodgy is who gets to determine what is or isn’t classified as a disorder, and how they determine it should be addressed. Scientific history is littered with examples of how pseudoscience was used to justify discrimination against people who didn’t conform to other peoples expectations, or rather - the rules that those people invented and upheld which gave them the greatest advantages in terms of being able to dictate social norms or rules which everyone in society would be expected to adhere to, and everyone who couldn’t, was aware of the negative consequences of violating social norms and non-conformity.

It was easier then to make an example of the few who made themselves known, as a signal to anyone else not to get ideas, and faced with the choice of either suffering in private, or suffering in public, many chose the former over the latter, for fear of the consequences.

In order to reach the desired outcome of integrating transwomen and DSD women in women’s sports. That IS the goal of the research program.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The fact that androgyny, "masculine" women and "feminine" men exist doesn't change anything whatsoever about sex. Those are judgments made on the backdrop of a society that is increasingly obsessed with dictating what behaviour is acceptable for women and men in order to allow an increasing number of self-obsessed youngsters to define themselves as outside of it on the basis of perfectly normal behaviours.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

It’s all bluster. And it’s failing very badly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Men who want to live as women exist. Women who want to live as men exist. They always have. But as you can’t “transfer” biologically from being a man to a woman or vis versa then where does the “trans” element come into it?

How can it be a rule in nature, when by your own admission, it’s a rule that refers to a phenomenon observed in nature? It’s a rule based upon observation, much like laws, principles, theories, etc, all observations in the life sciences which refers to phenomena in nature. Like, the explanation is right there in your previous link:

So, something can be observed in something else, but not be in it. That doesn't seem right.

From the birth of their science, biologists have sought to explain apparent regularities in observational data. In his biologyAristotle inferred rules governing differences between live-bearing tetrapods (in modern terms, terrestrial placental mammals). Among his rules were that brood sizedecreases with adult body mass, while lifespan increases with gestation period and with body mass, and fecunditydecreases with lifespan. Thus, for example, elephants have smaller and fewer broods than mice, but longer lifespan and gestation.[3] Rules like these concisely organized the sum of knowledge obtained by early scientific measurements of the natural world, and could be used as models to predict future observations. Among the earliest biological rules in modern times are those of Karl Ernst von Baer (from 1828 onwards) on embryonic development,[4] and of Constantin Wilhelm Lambert Gloger on animal pigmentation, in 1833.[5] There is some scepticism among biogeographers about the usefulness of general rules. For example, J.C. Briggs, in his 1987 book Biogeography and Plate Tectonics, comments that while Willi Hennig's rules on cladistics "have generally been helpful", his progression rule is "suspect".

That’s what I mean when I say that science is a tool, it was developed by humans and has it’s origins in philosophy, as a means of explaining phenomena observed in nature. To go back to the earlier example you gave and at least make it somewhat relevant to the thread - science can be used to predict with a high degree of confidence the progression of human development, and based upon these observations, the observers formulate their ideas of how the process of human development should go.

Right, but science is more than a tool to observe things. Tools are not the same as theories. Some rules do get superceded over time, but others don't. And, even when one rule or theory looks to be superceded, it is still valid in certain contexts. Like, you could argue that the centuries old branch of Physics, classical Mechanics, has been superceded by Einstein's theories of relativity, but in practice that's not the case at all. NASA was able to send the Apollo missions to the moon, while ignoring relativity. They didn't need the tiny bit of extra precision it provides.

Because there’s no conscious agent involved in nature, it would simply be incorrect to suggest that nature has the capacity to determine how anything about human development should go.

That doesn't follow. Charles Darwin taught us that evolution progresses without a conscious agent in nature. Instead it happens through natural selection. So, whether we can determine anything about human development doesn't depend on a conscious (or divine) agent.

Nature just doesn’t have a set of rules to follow. Humans came up with the rules, and we’re pretty rigid about them, to the point where we suggest that any phenomenon which doesn’t conform to our expectations is classified as a disorder. That’s not nature determining that whatever phenomenon is a disorder. It’s humans who are choosing to classify their observations the way they do.

I think this is the nub of your point. Humans identified the rules and sometimes can be excessively rigid about them. But, that doesn't mean the rule doesn't exist and doesn't have predictive power. It is actually the case that a fetus with the SRY gene will turn out male 99.98% of the time. I think you are saying that unless a rule has no exceptions then it's not really a rule or it's effectively bad science, in some higher epistemic sense.

I found an interesting thread yesterday on Twitter discussing this exact point

Where it gets dodgy is who gets to determine what is or isn’t classified as a disorder, and how they determine it should be addressed. Scientific history is littered with examples of how pseudoscience was used to justify discrimination against people who didn’t conform to other peoples expectations, or rather - the rules that those people invented and upheld which gave them the greatest advantages in terms of being able to dictate social norms or rules which everyone in society would be expected to adhere to, and everyone who couldn’t, was aware of the negative consequences of violating social norms and non-conformity.

There has been plenty of bad science all right. Even still you find scientists clinging to their theories long after they have been disproven. But, the scientific method is able to deal with that and produce theories that explain huge swathes of the natural world even if they don't explain everything 100% of the time.

It was easier then to make an example of the few who made themselves known, as a signal to anyone else not to get ideas, and faced with the choice of either suffering in private, or suffering in public, many chose the former over the latter, for fear of the consequences.

Right

The trans element comes into it, in the form of having no choice in the matter, analogous to the way in which people have no choice in their sexual orientation.

There are still people who believe that homosexuality isn’t a thing and anyone who is homosexual is just putting it on to peeve them off, but that idea is based upon their own egocentric perception.

• Advertisement

Given you only found the thread yesterday, I think to be fair to you I’d have to assume you’re not familiar with Jesse Singal. He’s come up in the thread before, but basically if you were to look into his background, the idea that Jesse “doesn’t understand what the end-game is here”, while posting a screenshot from article, without even linking to the source, suggests that Jesse is engaging in his usual bad actor behaviour 🙄

The article he’s referring to, and I’m not gonna lie, I found it difficult to follow because it reads like two five-year olds having a conversation, but it’s here, if you haven’t already read it for yourself. I’m not sure whether you did or you didn’t as you didn’t say anything about the actual article -

https://www.scientificamerican.com/video/how-junk-science-is-being-used-against-trans-kids2/

Basically what they’re discussing is the influence of John Money on the fields of psychology and biology, and the way that had it not been for his attempts to prove his theories, and his theories gaining the influence they did in spite of the evidence contradicting his theories, precisely because of the prestige which was afforded Money because of who he was, the course of history could have been very different -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

Edit: The rest of your post - yeah we’re more or less there or thereabouts on the same track.

Sexuality (a fairly enduring part of the human experience) and gender identity (a fringe belief system that very few people follow) are not the same. If anything, gender ideology seems to be acting as a sort of conversion therapy for gay youth, at least according to Tavistock whistleblowers in The Times: 'So many potentially gay children were being sent down the pathway to change gender, two of the clinicians said there was a dark joke among staff that “there would be no gay people left”'.

Considering that gender dysphoric youth given puberty blockers go on to transition at huge rates, while gender dysphoric youth allowed to go through normal puberty desist at a rate of 70-90% and most go on to be perfectly healthy gay people - and the fact that you'd be hard-pressed to find female detransitioners who do not now recognise their prior "gender dysphoria" as internalised homophobia ("It'll be okay to like girls if I'm a man"), this comparison might be one you'd want to be a bit more careful about.

And besides, trans people do have a choice. Any adult is free to purchase themselves all the hormones and surgery they want and to request that the people they spend their time with pretend that they are the opposite sex. Issues only arise when men who would like to be women start insisting on being in women's toilets, changing rooms, rape crisis centres, prisons and sports - and only because there are unavoidable differences between men and women, both in terms of biology and criminality, that really matter to women. And if the base issue at hand is that it's about "choice in the matter" - "female" is even less of a choice than "trans".

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

Why isn't the "trans" identifier redundant?

Trans-woman = Woman.

So why describe anyone as "trans"?

I have a hard time understanding this. For example, you wouldn't say "would you mind picking up some milk and bread but put the bread back and only buy the milk". You'd just say "would you mind picking up some milk".

It seems a little self defeating to insist that trans-women are women while constantly implying that trans-women are different by always referring to them as "trans". This seems like a bit of a contradiction.

If the "trans" prefix in the term "trans-woman" basically means "is in the process of becoming a woman" or means "was formerly a man but is now becoming or had become a woman" then that's also an admission that there is some process that needs to occur before a "trans-woman" can be just a regular "woman".

If the argument is as fundamental as "trans-women are women" then by definition trans-women DON'T exist. There are simply just women. The "trans" prefix would be completely redundant.

This seems especially relevant in a situation where one of the goals of the whole transition process is to "pass" as a woman. So you have people getting expensive surgeries and medications and so on in order to "pass" but then we are undermining all of that by referring to them as "trans" and ensuring that they can't pass.

A bit like trying to look 18 to get into pubs or clubs but wearing a massive "happy 16th birthday" badge and having all your mates shouting "happy 16th" as you approach the bouncers. Why do such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Trans-women both want to be seen as women and to be seen as unique from women. Part of the oppression olympics, you have to outrank all the others.

Given you only found the thread yesterday, I think to be fair to you I’d have to assume you’re not familiar with Jesse Singal. He’s come up in the thread before, but basically if you were to look into his background, the idea that Jesse “doesn’t understand what the end-game is here”, while posting a screenshot from article, without even linking to the source, suggests that Jesse is engaging in his usual bad actor behaviour 🙄

The thread was posted yesterday, but I'm just not going to engage with the ad-hominem stuff. When you posted the information below I wondered - oh dear is this some old controversy and Singal is just raking the coals again? But, no from your link the article was posted by Scientific American a few days ago, and here they are making utter fools of themselves .. again. And he is rightly incredulous about that.

The article he’s referring to, and I’m not gonna lie, I found it difficult to follow because it reads like two five-year olds having a conversation, but it’s here, if you haven’t already read it for yourself. I’m not sure whether you did or you didn’t as you didn’t say anything about the actual article -

https://www.scientificamerican.com/video/how-junk-science-is-being-used-against-trans-kids2/

If anything when you show the title of the piece that is about junk science being used against trans kids, and the article itself uses junk science to make its point, then Singal is 100% right. What is the endgame here? How do people think this helps trans kids? It doesn't.

Basically what they’re discussing is the influence of John Money on the fields of psychology and biology, and the way that had it not been for his attempts to prove his theories, and his theories gaining the influence they did in spite of the evidence contradicting his theories, precisely because of the prestige which was afforded Money because of who he was -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

Fair enough, except that he never came up in the discussion which isn't to say that there isn't a conversation to be had about junk science being used against trans kids. But, let me quote one of the comments on the thread, which repurposes the argument used onto something less visceral, but kind of comedic.

"In the 1950s, designers had no idea what distinguished a car from a bicycle. It wasn't the number of wheels, since some bikes have training wheels and there are three-wheel cars and bikes. It wasn't the presence of an engine, since bikes can have engines, too."

If you don't want to see a distinction then you won't see one basically.

I appreciate the warning, but it’s not necessary seeing as I didn’t say gender identity and sexual orientation were the same thing in the first place. I made the point that where trans comes into the idea of gender is that it is analogous to sexual orientation.

You’re even acknowledging how it’s analogous when you’re making the point about young people experiencing gender incongruence who later determine that they are homosexual, as if the two concepts are related to each other, and it’s not possible to experience gender incongruence and be homosexual, or heterosexual, or bisexual, or whatever the case may be.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise but the same sorts of correlations you’re making about people on the basis of gender, are the same correlations that are made about people on the basis of sexual orientation. Homosexuality confined to adolescence is a fairly well studied phenomenon among people who later realise they’re heterosexual. Same sort of correlations apply. Most adolescents who express homosexuality in adolescence, will later become heterosexual as adults.

That doesn’t say anything about adults who are gay any more than any correlations based upon the idea that among the majority of adolescents who experience gender incongruence, and their sexual orientation as adults. The whole point of patients being referred to the Tavistock in the first place is to determine whether or not they meet the medical criteria of a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, and whether or not they experience it to the degree that it requires treatment. The puberty blockers are to buy time to determine whether the identity persists in adolescence, and it does. That’s why the vast majority of children prescribed puberty blockers will go on to be prescribed cross-sex hormones.

And besides, trans people don’t have a choice any more than anyone else has a choice. You didn’t decide to be female any more than anyone else did. None of the above has anything to do with being predisposed to engage in criminal activity as if there is any biological basis for criminal behaviour. That’s just silly.

• Advertisement

Ahh give over getting all uppity, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn’t just pull that nonsense out of your arse, that you probably weren’t familiar with Singal who is well-known for his “incredulity”, and positing an “end-game” as if there is an end-game to scientific progress. You’ve already made it clear you understand how scientific progress actually works.

Singal is just engaging in the usual moral panic nonsense and pretending he doesn’t know what he’s doing, to an audience who are already primed to hang on his every word. The man could tell his followers the sky is green and they’d come up with a conspiracy theory as to why the truth is being suppressed 😂

You asked earlier how does something refer to something without being in something? By inference, that’s how. The authors didn’t have to refer to Money specifically for everyone to know who they’re referring to. Singal knew who they were referring to too, but introduced an entirely different idea by way of demonstrating how other scientists had very definite ideas about sex.

No matter how much you try to beat people into submission with rambling nonsense, sexuality and gender identity will never be analogous.

The whole point of patients being referred to the Tavistock in the first place is to determine whether or not they meet the medical criteria of a diagnosis of gender dysphoria

A diagnosis of gender dysphoria is not required for transition.

The puberty blockers are to buy time to determine whether the identity persists in adolescence, and it does.

It provably is caused to persist in an overwhelming majority of cases by the puberty blockers themselves. Natural puberty is a remedy for childhood gender dysphoria in 70-90% of youth who experience it. Puberty blockers stop that remedy.

None of the above has anything to do with being predisposed to engage in criminal activity as if there is any biological basis for criminal behaviour. 

In every culture in the world men are much more criminally violent than women at roughly the same rate, and this pattern holds for men who transition (and does not for women who transition). There are plenty of theories out there that pin that on biological reasons, from testosterone levels to heart rate, evolution and brain make up, and they are generally more convincing than "social construction done it" (the new god of the gaps).

In any case, whether it's "biological" or not, the fact stands that men - however they identify - are much more likely to be violent than women. And as I've said before I will always value the safety of women - who have no choice in the matter of their sex (however they identify) - over the feelings of men who in some cases have no choice over whether they feel like men in their feelings.

So the research program would have to reach a desired outcome and is not free to come to its own conclusions based on the evidence, again what is the point of a research program if the outcome is already pre-determined? Wouldn't this lead to a situation where the evidence would be made to fit the desired outcome.

The research program may well find a way that's fair to all which allows transwomen compete at elite level or they may find that it's not possible to fairly integrate transwomen into elite sport or find that an evaluation on a case by case basis would be the way forward; Whatever the outcome, any research program should not begin with a desired outcome in mind, should be independent, transparent and free to come to its own conclusions based on the evidence and not under any pressure from outside sources to come to a certain outcome to suit any particular agenda whether in favour or against transwomen in elite sport.

I’m not trying to beat anyone into submission at all, no need to be so dramatic. I’m simply pointing out that I didn’t say that gender identity and sexual orientation were the same, I said they were analogous, and they are, on the basis that both concepts are based upon innate feelings about oneself -

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/analogous

I also never said that a diagnosis of gender dysphoria is necessary for gender transition. I’m aware that it’s not. I don’t know were you aware that a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria is necessary in the UK to avail of treatment provided by clinics under the auspices of the NHS. It’s why the waiting lists for a diagnosis are as lengthy as they are - because most people simply cannot afford private healthcare (which also requires a medical diagnosis), and can’t afford to purchase the drugs over the Internet, and many people simply don’t want to take the risk of buying the drugs they need online.

It certainly has not been proven to persist as a consequence of puberty blockers. The point of puberty blockers as I suggested already is to buy time. Puberty isn’t a remedy for anything, and in the majority of cases the process can exacerbate dysphoria, as opposed to any nonsense that puberty relieves their distress. The reason that patients are advised to wait until puberty is because puberty causes the reproductive system to start kicking in, and producing sperm which can then be extracted and stored. Girls experiencing gender dysphoria aren’t under the same pressures as their eggs can still be extracted and stored even with the introduction of cross-sex hormones.

In any case, a predisposition to criminal behaviour has nothing to do with gender, sexuality or sexual orientation, or any of the rest of your nonsense. It’s very easily refuted by the fact that the vast majority of men do not engage in criminal behaviour. You’re hardly unique in valuing the safety of women, everyone does, generally speaking, and they value everyone’s safety, which isn’t threatened by anyone on the basis of gender or sex.

Even then, civil law has nothing to do with criminal law - it’s why nonsense about people being a threat to children on the basis of their sexual orientation had nothing to do with whether or not people were entitled to the same rights as everyone else in society. 30 years later the exact same arguments which were used to try and deny people equal rights as everyone else on the basis of sexual orientation, are being used to try and deny people equal rights on the basis of gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Sexual identity is not so much feelings about oneself as feelings about other people. There's an argument that to call it identity at all is a recent misnomer.

In the past, people were more usually considered to have engaged in homosexual activity, as opposed to "being" homosexual.

Being "transgender" however is purely about how one feels oneself to be - and after all, if we accept that nobody can really know how/what anyone else feels, how do transidentified males know that what they feel is what a woman feels? Do all women even feel the same thing? I suspect not. Surely the only thing that makes someone a woman is their biology, rather than a feeling in their minds?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

Sexual identity and sexual orientation are based upon one’s own feelings about oneself. The idea that in the past people were more usually considered to have engaged in homosexual activity as opposed to being homosexual, is just complete nonsense. People were, and still are, subjected to all sorts of discrimination and prejudice, purely on the basis of being gay or lesbian or bisexual, anything that wasn’t heterosexual, basically.

I know for a fact you’re familiar with the Catholic Church’s position on homosexuality, and I know you’re familiar with Irish law prior to 1993 which specifically didn’t make being homosexual a criminal offence, but made homosexual acts a criminal offence. In practice the effect was, and still is to some extent- the same thing.

Your argument about being transgender is predicated upon the idea that people are raised in some sort of isolation, and we actually do know that’s just not true. Being transgender doesn’t require that anyone who is transgender knows anyone else’s mind, the feelings of gender dysphoria arise from within their own mind, as a consequence of the cognitive dissonance between their mind and their body. It doesn’t require anyone to know the mind of every other woman or man in the same way you or I aren’t required to know the minds of every other woman or man to know ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I like chocolate is not analogous to I am chocolate.

An overwhelming majority of people don't have a gender identity. That's quite confusing for those that do, in the same way that Christians or Muslims are often bewildered by atheists.

You're wrong. There's lots of evidence that in the past engaging in homosexual acts was not considered to define the person in the way we now tend to.

The word ‘homosexuality’ began to be used in the late 19th century to designate a newly created concept, a type of identity, just as, for instance, a ‘housewife’ or a ‘prostitute’ in this period. Prior to this, there did not exist a specific category to define the sexual identity of a person attracted to their own sex.

http://cle.ens-lyon.fr/anglais/civilisation/domaine-britannique/the-perception-of-male-homosexuality-in-great-britain-from-the-19th-century-to-the-present

Or this: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20170315-the-invention-of-heterosexuality

Your second bit is just guff. As usual.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Yes, but it's even less sensible than a religious identity, because nobody denies that children have to be taught a religion for it to become part of their identity. Nobody thinks that if you put a child born into a Muslim family into a Christian family and bring him up as a Christian, that his identity will be anything other than Christian.

So on the one hand, gender is understood to be something that's taught to children - eg this evening the comments about the NI women's footballers on the radio were being discussed, and a scientist (unsurprisingly) said that there's no evidence that women are actually more emotional, but that socially it seems that they are "allowed" to express it more - and that's gender.

And yet on the other hand, we're expected to believe that people are born with a "gender" that is innate to them, entirely separate from their body and their upbringing, which cannot be changed except at terrible emotional cost tpo the person. I don't get that.

Also, and I've mentioned this before, where do non binary people fit into that very binary scheme? They don't identify as intersex, so that means they're something else again?

The more I think about this, the less it makes sense.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that religion and culture pre-dates modern psychology by at least a couple of millennia.

I’ll be honest, initially I thought you might be referring to the popular view of how homosexuality was regarded in Ancient cultures like Greece and Rome, where the idea was based upon the roles of each of the participants. I figured you probably weren’t referring to the recent phenomenon on Snapchat and the likes of young men who claim to be straight while claiming to be having sex with other men, that’s out there even by my standards 😒

But even before the popularity of modern psychology, arguments against punishing people for being gay were based upon the idea that God, the Creator, didn’t make mistakes -

Tomlinson argued, from a religious perspective, that punishing someone for how they were created was equivalent to saying that there was something wrong with the Creator.

"It must seem strange indeed that God Almighty should make a being with such a nature, or such a defect in nature; and at the same time make a decree that if that being whom he had formed, should at any time follow the dictates of that Nature, with which he was formed, he should be punished with death," he wrote on January 14 1810.

If there was an "inclination and propensity" for someone to be homosexual from an early age, he wrote, "it must then be considered as natural, otherwise as a defect in nature - and if natural, or a defect in nature; it seems cruel to punish that defect with death".

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-51385884.amp

Gender identity is recognised as a concept in most cultures and societies across the world and throughout human history. It’s understandable that it would be confusing to anyone who isn’t familiar with the concept, in the same way that the only Christians and Muslims who are bewildered by atheists are Christians and Muslims who aren’t familiar with the concept of atheism.

Yes, but it's even less sensible than a religious identity, because nobody denies that children have to be taught a religion for it to become part of their identity. Nobody thinks that if you put a child born into a Muslim family into a Christian family and bring him up as a Christian, that his identity will be anything other than Christian.

I think you’ll find that Muslims might well have a different opinion on the matter -

According to Islam, children are born with an innate sense of submission to God, which is called the fitrah. Their parents may then raise them in a particular faith community, and they grow up to be Christians, Buddhists, etc.

The Prophet Muhammad once said: "No child is born except upon fitrah (i.e. as a Muslim). It is his parents who make him a Jew or a Christian or a polytheist." (Sahih Muslim).

https://www.learnreligions.com/convert-or-revert-to-islam-2004197

While a few people might struggle with the concept of atheism and may well be bewildered by atheists, they are at least more likely to have an understanding of the concept of gender and the idea of gender as an innate identity -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5272885/

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Ahh give over getting all uppity,

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that was an ad-hominem against me. It was against Jesse Singal because you responded by attacking his credibility rather than the thing he was talking about, and which was said by someone else.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn’t just pull that nonsense out of your arse,

Ha, I'm always impressed by the even and genial tone of your posts. I guess we all have buttons that can be pressed though 😀

The thing was literally published in Scientific American

What are GCs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gender Critical.

People who for a verity of reasons have issues with transgender people. In particular transgender women. As with all such things these issues can be 'mild' (e.g. Navratilova doesn't believe pre-gender re-assignment surgery trans women should be allowed to compete against biological women), or 'extreme' e.g. Graham Linehan.

The latest GC bit of extremism is to sub tweet any LGB person on social media who supports trans people with the tag #okgroomer. This is a reference to paedophiles grooming children. This is part of the context for why the increase in homophobia is being linked by many observers to the increasingly vocal transphobia in public discourse.

And yes - homophobic attacks have increased.

Yet here you are - commenting quite often on something "no-one cares about".

Here, in fact, you are commenting on something you know nothing about as your post make it abundantly obvious you haven't explored the context of Dr McAuliffe's comments.

Just popping by to post what you don't know about a thing you don't care about were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Still playing the man and not the ball, I see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It was bound to happen.

South Park did a great episode (“Go, Strong Woman, Go”) with Macho Man Randy Savage identifying as a woman and winning everything. Now JP Sears has done a 4-minute parody segment on the Lia Thomas controversy for his 2.4 million YouTube followers to enjoy.

If you enjoyed South Park, you’ll enjoy these 4 minutes of parody gold. The last 2 minutes are just ads. Trigger warning: If you didn’t like that South Park episode, this sketch by Sears will not be your cup of tea. Everyone else, sit back and enjoy the work of one ballsy comedian!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Comedy will be an important tool in shining a light on the twisted absurdity of this ideology.

Still commenting on something you don't care about I see.

Are you for real?

You think it's ok to tag people as paedophiles to 'annoy progressives'?

Your 'proof' is an anon twitter account that got banned posting tictok videos of teachers grooming children?

Were the teachers gay? Lesbian? Trans?

Who exactly are you defending being called a paedophile?

Some people on this thread have either no idea of the hate they are helping unleash - or they don't care either way. Or worse, they welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Your mind is going to be blown when you get to fourth class in school and they explain what noun descriptors are

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

Rubbish response. Remove context to make some throwaway comment. I'm sure you have purposefully ignored the context rather than not having the wit to see it.

There is context here that many of the actions taken by trans people are done in order to "pass" as a gender different to that which was "assigned at birth". Why would we describe someone who wants to pass as a woman in a way that deliberately singles them out as not just a woman?

So while it is a descriptor, yes, in this particular scenario the descriptor itself undermines the entire goal of the transition from the start.

I don't understand why someone would go to all of the effort of being particular about their appearance, their speech, hormone therapy and possibly even surgeries costing thousands of Euros to then ultimately turn round and say "well I'm not just any old woman, I'm a trans-woman".

Using the "trans" descriptor seems like it basically undoes almost all of that work.

I always felt like this was particularly strange in the context of social media platforms since it's really easy to "pass" in that context. Especially if the platform users are all anonymous.

Generally the moments when you might have to be identified as "trans-woman" and not simply "woman" would be in more private moments when it becomes an unavoidable topic of conversation.

Publicly would it not be better if the "trans" part was made redundant? If gender is a spectrum and not binary then how could a person really "transition" anyway? Transition from what, to what? Is it binary or not?

Once a persons transition is complete then isn't it a bit self-defeating to keep on bringing it up? Feels a bit like "I am a woman BUT..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

OK I'll bite. First of all there are plenty of women who are trans who don't disclose to absolutely everyone they meet ("stealth") mainly because of discrimination (anywhere from the kind you see in this thread to full on violent attack). Regardless I think most trans people understand that there's a difference between a cis and a trans woman and that distinction can be useful for various reasons. That doesn't invalidate their identity.

I dont think it "undermines the entire goal" which is a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Also it' can take literally years of waiting lists and pysch evaluations to even start the hormones so being able to explain to people you're in the process is sometimes your only option before you can "pass".

A good analogy is adoptive parents. If someone raises a child that's their parent in my opinion. Being "adoptive" doesn't make them less of a parent than a biological parent. And for various reasons a parent who adopted their kids might either want to hide that fact or to be honest with them.

Advertisement