Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Paddico

Anyone know anything about the tipp U20 footballers, challenge matches, results, etc

Can be watched live here

From the bits I can gather is that Tipp U20 footballers haven't had great luck in challenge matches. But your manager Paddy Christie is a very shrewd and impressive operator and I'm sure he will have ye well tuned for tomorrow night at Miltown Malbay. Here in Clare we have serious question marks about our manager Mikey Neylon. Three of our top minors in recent years, Dara Nagle, Jamie Stack and Dylan O'Brien haven't committed to the panel, while another top lad, Diarmuid Fahy is out with a long term injury. Watch out for our midfield duo, Brian McNamara and Brendy Rouine, they are really top players.

I would say that this will be a close game, and hard to call. Just hoping with my saffron and blue tinted glasses that home advantage might just swing it towards my own county, but I would be far from surprised if Tipp come out on top.

We are playing your minor hurlers on Tuesday, in the Munster minor hurling championship in Thurles. We are meant to have a serious team this team, backboned by lads from Flannans, Rice College and Ard Scoil Ris. Great to see two former Clare senior hurling managers, Cyril Lyons and Donal Moloney part of the Clare minors backroom team.

Should be a cracking week of GAA action, really looking forward to this, like a young kid waiting for Christmas morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Paddico

You did better than I did in gleaming that into. Find it very heard to get any news on any of our underage sides.

Well looking forward to this. Hopefully a good open game and not too windy down in Miltown.

May the best team win.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Munster council putting the boot into the McGrath’s by allowing Johnny Murphy referee Sunday’s game. Murphy’s incompetences shown up when John Mc Garth had red card over turned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Munster Minor Hurling Championship (FULL TIME) Tipperary 2-13 (19) Clare 0-13 (13)

Great result for the minors.

Good start to the week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Who do Tipp play CF at the weekend? Morris? Might be worth trying someone with a jink and side step and pace against the Waterford 6. Very few players twist and turn the same after a cruciate injury - might be worth running at him.

We just need the type of performance we can build on - we're up against it big time, against the form team in the country this weekend. Have to come out of there with pride and hope to face a Clare side with a great manager who has unearthed a few very good forwards this year.

I'd imagine it will be Noel or Jason. I'd say Morris will be in the corner. De burka isn't going to mark anyone anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tipp got 4,000 tickets. Clubs are sending tickets back. Sign of the transition? But I've always said that Tipp have the most fair weather supporters. Won't show up to support - they only want to see a win.

Missing out on the chance of seeing Aussie G and Stephen B in their prime too. Hard to understand.

If Aussie and Bennett are let hit top form , I’d rather be sitting at home too . Looking forward to see if Tipp have given up on trying the short game , I hope so . Can’t beat a bit of goal mouth action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh exactly. It's likely a case of knowing we'll probably get slapped around, which isn't pleasant.

We could be in for a right hiding in fairness going off form.

Look ill be happy regardless of result as long as we put in a good performance and the younger lads show a bit of promise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Don’t think we’ll get slapped around by Waterford ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭shmeee

Clubs got standing / terrace tickets. People simply don't want to stand on a glorified bank below in a dive of a stadium. Most clubs in Tipp got 50 terrace tickets and wasn't much issue with supply if any club members wanted a few. And also, there is little or no buzz around Tipp, expectations are low and Tipp could easily be knocked out of the championship in a few weeks time.

But if you love the game of hurling, you'll just want to see hurling. And if you support Tipp you'll want to see Tipp play. Otherwise, fair weather supporter. And that's no support at all. If you're basing support on potential results that's just bad form as a supporter.

Great day for a game - big day for Brendan Cummins and co - really up against it here:

GAA Beo | Tiobraid Árann v Port Láirge (Tipperary v Waterford U20 ) - YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Clare have a great manager? Must have missed this! Who is her and what’s he won with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haven’t seen anything that would convince me otherwise tbh

Waterford so impressive. We really had a dour league

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Enjoyable game. Nice seeing a Tipp team playing a more modern style underage. We've been lacking it a bit in Under 20 since Cahill left. Only real downside was a lot of poor wides, but 2 good teams playing out there tonight.

Great win for much derided group of minors that are more competitive in the under 20 grade so far. Really showed up in terms of winning possession and hunting in packs. Hit a lot of wides. A lot. Should have won by more but now is not the time of year to be hitting top form. Some real improvement in some of those players.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

i have seen a lot of the minors the last 3 years and the 2019 minors were shockingly bad, 20 and 21 were average

fair play to Cummins for that tonight

McGarry looks like a very intelligent player. Specializes in game management. Pops up everywhere.

Derek McGrath is skipping Walsh Park and heading straight to the the Gaelic Grounds:

"A potential sextet of forwards from Mikey Breen, Noel McGrath, Jake Morris, John McGrath, Mark Kehoe, Jason Forde and Bonner Maher could hurt any opposition. But doubts persist over that sextet's ability to make the kind of wall in front of Ronan Maher that Waterford will erect in front of Tadgh. 

Tipperary will have to be innovative to have any chance and even so Waterford have the flexibility, the diligence, a returning Austin Gleeson, and crucially the bench to win with a bit to spare.

Waterford head into Walsh Park bloodthirsty and ready to kill. Tipperary, in contrast, are in survival mode. The excitement around the Waterford team may have hindered previous teams but not these lads. Their steadiness and brilliance sets them apart."

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Don't mistake pundits waxing lyrical about Waterford as any reflection on the general mood of the fans, and more importantly, of the panel.

All this talk about form is nonsense.. that was the league, this is what matters and we in Waterford are very very nervous about Sunday, and rightly so.

A Tipp team licking its wounds is a very very dangerous beast, and Waterford aren't used to being favourites.

Memories of Cork hammering Tipp in 2010 and everyone writing Liam and his team off spring to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

We are in the worst position we have been in for almost two decades, with a manager who should be nowhere within a million miles of the position, a bunch of retirees and an injury to our aging star forward. The youngsters integrated in the league ranged from completely unimpressive to just 'ok' and we were soundly beaten by the same team at the same venue just a few weeks ago.

We are the worst team in Munster and it will be an absolute miracle if we get out of it - the only real chance of doing so coming from winning our two home games.

I'm going down on Sunday fully expecting a complete hammering. The chickens are coming home to roost for this County Board and the monumental mess that they have created. If by some absolute miracle we win on Sunday I'll be thrilled but there's no point getting offended that outside observers have rightly pegged us as the worst team in Munster, when we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The League and Championship have never been so close - the League is a far more accurate reflection of where teams are at than it has ever been. There was virtually no time between the end of the League and the start of the Championship to work on anything new.

Even after the Cork hammering in 2010 I'm fairly sure most people thought we would still have a big say in the Championship - the bookies still had us as second favourites as far as I remember. I cannot in my lifetime ever remember us being 18/1 to win an All Ireland before any hurling was played. That is a fair and accurate assessment of where we are.

If Waterford are nervous about Sunday then they have absolutely no business being anywhere near the All Ireland final this year. Over the past 10-15 years I was never once nervous about playing Waterford, a good team beats teams they are better than and isn't nervous about playing them. Do you think when Kilkenny were winning 4 in a row that they were afraid of Wexford? If you want to be the best then that is the mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Yes, but you also can't expect to be the best team without having the proper level of caution about your opposition. Limerick fell asleep at the wheel in the 2019 semi final and great champions must never do this, no matter what the bookies say. You go out and treat each opponent as if they will be your undoing. That absolutely killer instinct Kilkenny had comes from this. 10 points up? So what, keep on punishing, keep in scoring and never ever ever get cocky.

Advertisement