Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptising children

Options

Comments

Considering the majority of posters were raised RC, I'd be fairly confident they know all they need to about the religion.

but it's good to see that the followers are tolerant, understanding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Im no longer taking part in a debate with such ignorance. I do teach. I'd never criticise a child for not knowing stuff but as adults you guys are clueless.

Adieu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Are you satisfied with the open discrimination of women and homosexuals by your religion?

And what are your thoughts on the past atrocities committed by trusted members of your religion on defenceless women and children?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not much point directing questions at him now, he's left the thread; admittedly for the second time, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Third time by my count. Its good to know the youth of the country are in such civil, thoughtful care.

Morons, ignorant, clueless - his classroom must be a delight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I would never call a kid any name or make them think less of themselves. They are kids but ignorant adults who don't even know the basics of Catholic faith but seem to think that gives them a right to say ridiculous things? You guy's are fair game.

As to church history it's history. Patriarchy was here way before the church. The church was staffed by Irish people. The vast majority of Irish people went along with it.

Now we have the likes of you idiots coming out after the battle is over. What brave men you are.!

I bow to your heroic deeds.

I must go write you a ballad!

I will definitely leave this time

You're still ignoring my question. What is your opinion on the catholic church openly discriminating against women and homosexuals in 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I doubt whether many ordinary sane people lie awake pondering these questions. The catholic church - Roman Catholic Church to be more precise is what it is. You don't have to go to mass.

"bouncy castle catholic"!! :) LOL, I'll have to remember that one, as good a description as any. Though the bouncy castles are unusual at the other end of life when suddenly people start to get more religious..

Good for you both. Every couple is different and I wouldn't dream of being insistent if asked for advice on the matter. As it happens in our case, we'd be from different religious traditions and none of our children were baptised or confirmed etc. If they want to get involved in a religion as adults, they can do just thus. But I still think if one parent is gung ho for baptism and the other isn't really bothered, let them at it.

• Advertisement

I dont lie awake wondering about it. I just can't understand the amount of people who go along with a baptism to tick the box or keep others happy, but would have voted to repeal the 8th, celebrate international women's day on social media, voted to legalise same sex marriage, when the catholic church treats women and homosexuals differently to heterosexual males. It's incomprehensible in Ireland in 2022.

If a company openly said no women can apply to work here and homosexuality is not tolerated, it would be admonished. Huge double standards in Ireland by many people similar to the OP's wife.

Sure, it's called community. More common in rural parts I'd think where everyone knows other peoples business. To do something different, well that marks you out, so people just go with the flow on the whole.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you are an atheist why would it matter to you? If you are a practicing Catholic it's part of your believes and if just want to find a reason to whine, it's going to be that or something else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why are you so troubled by the Catholic Church? Are you perhaps not satisfied with your own position and are some how seeking justification for them? And what are your believes in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

First World Problem

Not happy being a Catholic. Move to a other Christian religion or other religion ... or none ... being part of a religion involves following the rules and actively participating and believing.

Repeat until happy ...

Still not happy, let your kid decide as an adult, don't put your unhappiness or discontent or fear or pretence or half heartedness on your kids.

But make sure you kid is a good person in and to society. This is the important bit. Think people miss this bit.

That's my sermon over 😅😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You don't have to, no, but your child probably will. In Ireland 89% of primary schools teach the doctrines of this church as fact during the taxpayer-funded school day.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Citation needed. The census figures don't support this assertion. Lots of people who were happily ticking the RC box in decades past are now stating they have no religion.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What happened in Malahide was a complete disgrace. Surveys among parents indicated sufficient demand for at least two of the eight primary schools in the area to change to Educate Together. Of course the principals and local god-botherers are dead set against this. So they launched an outrageous campaign of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) including saying that Christmas could no longer be celebrated, grandparents could no longer be involved with the school, there would be no more school outings. Propaganda leaflets placed in schoolbags. All outrageous lies of course but it worked as all they had to do was convince 51% of the parents who voted in each school to obstruct all change in the area. Meanwhile the parents of future pupils in the area got no vote at all. This farce is what the Dept of Education claims is a democratic process and they're quite happy to allow the RCC decide which schools get divested and when - so far, unsurprisingly, a tiny number.

It suits the state to have voluntary Catholic schools because it doesn't have to fund them as much.

It might suit the change averse ultra-conservatives controlling the Dept of Education, but they (but in reality, us) fund all voluntary schools exactly the same whether they are religious ethos or not.

Umm, because 89% of the primary schools we all pay for are still controlled by them despite their litany of crimes? When was the last time 89% of parents of primary schoolgoing age children were believing Catholics - you're looking at the 1980s if not earlier. But human rights are human rights. Just because non-Catholics were a minority did not excuse their human rights being trampled upon. Taxes should never fund religious indoctrination.

• Advertisement

Well I'm troubled by the fact that an organisation with a history of numerous crimes against children is still in control of the overwhelming majority of the schools in our country.

If a creche had a board of directors that said women cannot work here and we will facilitate the abuse and cover up of sexual abuse of the children that attend here, as well as burying some of them in septic tanks, oh and also we will not accept homosexual children into this creche, there would be marches in the street. So why is the catholic church still allowed to have so much influence over schools? The Hyde and Seek creche that was the subject of an RTE investigates program was treated worse for a lesser crime.

Also what really confuses me is why devout church goers want these children baptised when it is just for the big days out. What purpose does it serve? If you ran a football team you wouldn't accept a child skipping training and matches all year to just show up for the final.

Anyway we are of polar opposite views and will never agree so may aswell leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

That church is a total contradiction of itself, just there recently I've been told that I can't enter for my nephew's communion, grandparents and immediate family only. I'm not a believer in their doctrinal statements, but if I was I'd be thinking they're more satanic at this stage rather than Abrahamic....

Absolute spin doctors, there's no sense in their methodology, they've warped the goodness that they proposed to teach into absolute mind melting contradiction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just there recently I've been told that I can't enter for my nephew's communion

result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I didn't make it up, it is a well known phrase.

Parents get their babies baptised because

1. Its 'what you do' regardless of any religious considerations.
    2. Its insurance policy religion. 'Something bad will happen if I do or don't do certain actions'.
    3. They have genuine faith and want their child to be part of it.

People are free to follow any of these paths, but in the first two cases they are ceding authority to an organisation that has outlived its position in secular society. If the people in the third group want to continue in their religion that's fine, but the church's authority in secular matters is no longer relevant or appropriate and it should have no more power than any other social group in society; they can be free to promote their ideas same as any social or interest group, but having unelected people in a position to dictate or be moral arbiter to the rest of the population is not acceptable.

Then don't send your children to state run primary school - simple?

It's also a well known & natural phenomenon amongst agnostics and atheists that they tend to revert back towards the mother religion as they age. As old age approaches and death, tends to focus the mind and sort out the grain from the chaff.

This is the most ridiculous suggestion. In many cases you won't have any option, especially if you live in a rural area. It really isn't a lot to ask that people can expect to have the state provide school places for kids without religious indoctrination. It is setting the bar really low actually, especially as it would cost nothing.

Have you any citation for this phenomenon, or even examples? And who is it 'well known' to?

And your suggestion that people should not send their children to state-run primary schools (you know, the primary schools that their taxes pay for) in order to avoid religion is, well, pathetic. And arrogant. And demonstrates a very feeble understanding of how society is supposed to work.

It also shows the typical "F you" type attitude you get from a lot of supposed Christians. You see it a lot in the states. So long as they have what they want they couldn't care less about anyone else. These type of people turn up at church each week collecting tokens for heaven, rather than you know actually trying to live a good life and be kind to others.

• Advertisement

i assumed he was taking the mick with that suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement