Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Waterford!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭nomoedoe

Yellow boxes are just decorative features to a lot of people in Waterford!

On another note id love to know who thought it would be a good idea to have two stop and goes on the N25 within 2km of each other ,if the one at Carrolls Cross wasn’t bad enough there one now at Ballyduff about 2km away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Actually i wasnt aware that cars could turn into that narrow road so its reasonable to presume an indication on the right hand side meant Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kilkenny36

Hi All, I got a frustrating parking fine recently. I stopped to collect an elderly relative outside city Square just at the trolly drop. I pulled up and had just loaded the shopping and was approached by a parking officer and given a ticket. The car was running the whole time and my kid was inside. I get that it is a no parking zone but the presence of the trolly bay would really suggest that it is an area to collect someone after shopping.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Terrible thing. No parking zones don't apply to you after all.

Thanks for your reply and your mature answer. But why is there a trolly drop if you can't load shopping into the car here.

• Advertisement

The entrance by Carraig Dunn. There is a trolly drop just next to the bollards where they new store was built.

What did the traffic warden say did you explain you were only collecting someone?,I wouldn’t be paying it anyway if it was me,maybe contact the council and appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

You can appeal it but I wouldn't be ignoring it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's a taxi rank across the road. The trolley bay is there for that. It's not for picking people up. And leaving your car running is another thing you could have been done for if it was a Garda rather than a traffic warden too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Unlucky to get caught there as people do it all day but the appeal would be frivolous.

He just said it's a no-parking area and There are signs up the top of Patrick Street stating this. I appealed and lost the appeal because it was parking in a no parking zone. I spoke to City Square about this and they were raging and said that people are always collecting people there. It's very confusing because there are no signs anywhere in the area bar the top of Patrick street saying its a no parking zone. It really does look like a set down point in front of city square. The bollards even step back in a little giving this impression.

You were really unlucky there, i drive down that way every day and i always see people pulling up and emptying their shopping into cars, sure what harm are you actually doing, since any car parked there wouldnt be blocking either the bus or taxi rank? Its a trolley bay thats located near NOTHING, who made that decision?

Your man the traffic warden is a bit of a wan%er anyway, you know the type, swaggering around with his chest cam, full of his own self importance. Who is he anyway only a warden, big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Did you make the post to hear other’s options? Or make condescending comments about people who don’t follow your narrative of being hard-done by for getting a parking ticket for parking in a no parking area? You might want to have a rethink about maturity there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would consider myself an impatient driver and will basically break the speed law and will always go through amber unless there is a Gardai around... However i do think there should be serious look at pedestrian crossing behaviour... points maybe...

I have no issue with you agreeing with the parking ticket. Your response was a nothing but a smart response.

Yeah. Thats him exactly. There was a lady parking attendant around for years and she was very reasonable. It just seems to me like the city council are shooting themselves in the foot. The thing is I come from the ballybricken area every Friday evening and stop off outside city Square collecting my relative and then head back towards lady lane and back up ballybricken. I genuinely don't have time to navigate to the mall and Quay and into the car park which would honestly add another 20 minutes to the trip. So the result of this my relative has to make their way to the hyper centre for shopping and I collect them there. Feels very unfair. Its funny the council were cracking over the ferrybank shopping centre because it would ruin the city centre. But they have done it themselves. Make it as difficult as possible for people to shop in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I don't think its very difficult to shop in the city centre. An abundance of car parking on the quay, Bolton Street, Waterside, Millers Marsh. I park in Ballybricken a lot going to town and stroll down the hill. Lots of blue badge parking and some age friendly spaces on little patrick street behind the book centre too for those who need to park a little closer to town. The problem is a lot of people who are well able to walk 5 minutes to get to the shops complain that they can't plonk their car right in the middle of John Roberts Square like you used to be able to do.

That's fine if you are young and healthy and don't have a weeks shopping with you. My point is myself and countless others like me stop to pick up mainly elderly relatives here with their weeks shopping. Stand there any day and watch and ask yourself honestly if you see any harm in it? The person I spoke to in city Square said that this has been happening since it opened in the 90's and they have never been asked to stop or remove the trolly bay. And yes on a normal day I could park my car in the city Square car park. But on Friday evenings I don't have time to do this. Due to the gridlock on the Mall it literally would take 20+ minutes more. I have picked up my relative every Friday after work for the past 5 years and never had issue now I can't anymore. Their life is greatly inconvenienced. Its not so simple for them to make there way to the hyper center every Friday. Its not the parking ticket that bothers me it's the fact that it has made a massive inconvenience on the life of someone I know. Picture you are a pensioner who loves picking up your pension and walking through the city you grew up in. You get the bus to town and then get picked up that evening with a full weeks shopping. You've been doing it for years but now you can't. Now stand outside city Square and watch countless others do this. Now imagine all those have to stop doing it. Suddenly you begin to see why the city centre is no longer appealing to most.

I just think you're making this out to be a bigger problem than it is. Yes your specific situation has been inconvenienced but to say its an issue for most is a bit misleading. The reality is you parked somewhere you're not allowed to park anymore, got done for it and feel a bit slighted by it. There is still loads of parking around for people who want to get into the city. Pensioner's can still get picked up outside city square with a full weeks shopping. There is a massive car park on high street right across from the centre, there is the underground where they can get picked up from, there is still on street parking on Olaf Street, also pretty sure there may be set down parking across from the library on lady lane. All you're moaning about is that you got a ticket for parking somewhere you're not allowed to park and haven't been allowed to for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

i agree with you that its not difficult to shop in town-But could there be an option to allocate a pick up/drop off point for city square at Arundel lane/Lady Lane.Should there be spaces available for cars for exactly this reason rather than just have taxis here,as taxis are also allocated space just outside the Omniplex also.

So you don't see any issue with access to the city centre. You don't see any issue with traffic on the Mall moving down to the quay. You don't see any issue with shops closing in the city center. Or large parts of City Square lying idle. Now go to kilbarry, ardkeen, lisduggan and ask yourself why those people aren't in the city centre and most will say its traffic and parking is the issue.

We live in a city. There is going to be traffic. The lack of shops in the city is a far more nuanced issue and isn't down to just parking and traffic. There is plenty of parking at all access points to the city to let you avoid the quay if you are going into the city. What I've found since moving here is a lot of people just like to moan about the city when really the traffic in Waterford is better than any other city in Ireland and even most towns. Traffic in Kilkenny & Wexford is brutal and far worse than Waterford. I do not get the parking moaners at all, I always park in Bolton Street or Waterside and stroll the 5 or 10 minutes into town. Always plenty of space and its cheap at 1.80 an hour too. Some people expect to be able to drive into town traffic free on Saturday and park on the quays for free but that's just totally unreasonable in this day and age.

There is a taxi rank on peter street across from the door of city square. I also think the former taxi rank across from the library on lady lane has been turned into a set down area.

made a hames of the editing-was just saying couldnt there be a pick up point for non taxis somewhere along this strip-i see your point but also feel that Kilkenny36 has a point about being able to pick up a relative with a trolley of shopping from here!

I thought it had been edited since my reply alright! No I do get the point, it just grinds me sometimes the sense of entitlement when people expect to be able to plonk their cars anywhere without repercussions. I think the council are just trying to limit cars stopping around this area as much as possible to stop it getting blocked up as the entrance to lady lane is pretty tight and if you had 5 people setting down here together it would get congested pretty quick. I think they should leave Peter Street as a taxi rank and convert the one by the cinema into a set down area that way it could be accessed by Kilkenny36 for his needs but also people coming from John Roberts Square.

ah here lads-its on Google Maps-

Cant even get a bitta Sourdough and Gubbeen without the Po-po giving me jip...

Is that the very same infamous parking warden giving a ticket to someone parked in the taxi rank?? 😂

The lads....

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks that Waterford is ok for driving around clearly never drives up New Street regularly with an intention of heading to Mayors Walk or Ballybricken. Whatever genius thought of pushing you towards Castle Street and then Bunkers Hill as the quickest way up to Barrack Street should be shot simple as that.

It reflects ignorance and poor planning on a massive level and I doubt the person who signed off on this alteration ever has to suffer the madness of waiting on a steep hill for at least 4 mins for the 10 second green light, then have to dodge all the double parked cars in Rice Park just to put the car up another steep hill, Bunkers Hill, and wait another 5 mins to get to Barrack Street. It makes no logical sense since you are allowed turn right at Stephen Street so there is very little reduction in bottlenecks.

In fact i have seen several people cross the bollards just to get up to Barrack Street, and i dont blame them. Its pure madness, that diversion.

Advertisement