Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

**** episode, great cameo, some of the cast definitely showing they're not teenagers anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I thought it was brilliant 👏.

I laughted my way through most of if.

The cameo was outstanding.

I think our local video shop used to charge you 50p if you fudnt rewind the tape!

It's pure nostalgia for me, reliving my teenager years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,824 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed that episode

God you'll feel old even been in your 30s watching it

Imagine in about 10-15 years a series about growing up in the 2000s/2010s could be a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Sure they're making a "That 90's Show" on the basis that the 90's are now as far away as the 70's were when they started making that 70's show.

I liked this episode .Some great one liners and I love sister Micheal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Am I the only one who thinks it’s funny, but not that funny? There are definitely laugh out loud moments but I think it’s the overall tone and setting that has captured people. Michelle is very funny, but Nicola Coughlan’s overacting strays into irritating territory very quickly. No doubt it’s the direction she’s given, but toning it down a wee bit wouldn’t hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

Agree 100%

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought last nights episode was good but not the best thing ever.

I think my favorite character nearly is Ma Mary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Like most comedy these days, they have skewered the meaning of the word "hilarious".

Soundtrack is excellent, I love the nostalgia, but it's mildly amusing on the whole. I agree with your thoughts on Coughlan's overacting, while the character of Claire is very annoying.

I regard it is a nice look back on an albeit difficult time in 1990s Northern Ireland, but a comedy classic it ain't. Still good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Over-hyped for God knows what reasons. Funny in places but a bit forced too. Hear some people comparing it to Fr.Ted, which is just plain ridiculous. You could watch Fr.Ted episodes multiple times and still get a good laugh. Derry Girls?? Will reappear on some Reeling in the Years in 20 years time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah there were some great one liners, I really enjoyed it, wonder is it an age thing? I was their ages at that time so it really just nails it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thought the same tbh.

I'm a fan of the show but last night everything seemed really stale imho.

The overacting and unnecessary histrionics were a little bit forced and deffo strayed into irritating territory.

The Liam Neeson cameo was amusing I guess but they didn't really do much with it.

Early days I know, but this feels like it might be a series too much for this show....happy to be proved wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I have to agree with the criticism, much as I wanted to love this season. I think the actors are visibly getting older and make less credible teens than before. the hamming up seems to be Nicola Coughlan's response to that, but I found it a bit much. I'll still watch it - and there were some funny moments - but overall I'm hoping it improves as the season progresses.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I agree, I loved last night's episode + yep I was also a teenager in 90s.

Maybe we just get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep agree it is funny but like you say nicola coughlan was just annoying in it, maybe because she had less time because of bridgerton she was rushing her stuff who knows.

thought kevin macaleer in the ruc station was brilliant (and yes i know hes been doing that act for years)

seamus the cat !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is it on once a week channel 4 Tuesday? Missed last night's. And am not paying for catch up tv. Is it repeated do you know any day this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Friday 23:05 on Channel 4 and Sunday 02:35 on 4seven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm not their biggest fan but enjoyed the episode last night, it is what it is a bit of harmless fun with some nostalgia thrown in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There are some people on here who would slate the news for being too dry and informative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

First half of episode was slow and not really funny...second half was solid! Great cameo

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

Huge fan of the show but I thought last nights episode was very, very poor. I don't think I laughed once. Everything about it just seemed a bit "off".

I'll definitely give it another go though as I love most of the previous episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I thought it was good and broadly consistent with previous series. I laughed and felt nostalgic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was Neeson filmed separately? Without going back and checking, I'm trying to remember if it showed him and the girls (and boy) at the same time. Think the only time was when they were trying to decide who they would call, but I'm sure that's easy enough to fake.

I didn’t think many of the jokes landed this episode

its like it’s bereft of ideas , lots of the characters have become stereotypical

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"I'm actually a boy"

"OK love".

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Maxface

I think I finally understand the phrase 'jumping the shark'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think it was pretty much on a par with the rest of the series: a mildly amusing dose of nostalgia with the occasional great line from one of the supporting cast (usually Tommy Tiernan or Siobhan McSweeney).

For all the over-acting criticisms thrown at Nicola Coughlan here, I have to say I recognise the character in girls I knew growing up. Personally it'd be Saoirse-Monica Jackson's portrayal of Erin that would get on my nerves most but again, that's probably because I recognise the type... this side of the border they all developed D4 accents in college even if they were from the arsehole of nowhere.

Advertisement