Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That is not true. GP surgery has a capacity number, no government official can break that, as it becomes a safety concern.

Our GP has 10% Medical Card only, this works great, means people that pay can actually get an appointment when they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are they staying at yours?

How about we dump them in the wilds of Connemara and leave them to their own devices with a few pop up tents? Plenty space. Shur it's better than being bombed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

200,000 figure is based on worse case scenario, full scale war reaching every single part of the Ukraine.

As for Covid, they are being offered vaccines, but again not the demographic to wind up needing critical care.

As for long waiting lists, nothing to do with a single Ukrainian, years of mismanagement and not having enough on call consultants, among a litany of other failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

WTF are you talking about? Seriously, did you even read beyond the first sentence? A bribe is not theft. Until very recently I owned a holiday home; I'm hardly going to be advocating the governement take them off people without compensation - which is what it effectively does to farmers saddled with SACs, with all the boardsie eco-bats​hitters egging them on and screaming their shril approval.

Nope. The burden on our health system is chronically ill people. Generally confined to the older demographics, not young women and children.

Again it's not my opinion.

• Advertisement

Not even close to what I said... which shows just how low you're willing to go to score points.

Well... here you go... 9/10 on twisting posts just so you can play to the crowd. Well done.

They also have far more land to cater to the refugees, and considering where they are geographically, it would be relatively easy for Ukrainians to return home, or be pushed there. Ireland has serious issues with any kind of deportation

You did yeah. 👆️

No one will be fulfilling your sick fantasy of deporting newly arrived women and children fleeing a war.

Cop yourself on, it's gone beyond creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Your comment doesn't have relate remotely to the quote above it. It's basic comprehension. I'll break it into bitesize points for you.

Point 1 and 2 are separate points (that means they don't relate to one another).

1. Poland has plenty of land so refugees should be given asylum there, as it would be easier for them to get home after the war.
    2. Ireland doesn't seem to deport anyone, so if people overstay it is hard to get them to leave.
    3. At no point is anyone asking that current refugees here are deported.
    4. Sometimes words are hard.

haha.. so your desire to take the worst possible interpretation on something that wasn't specific enough to suit you is perfectly natural? Pure Shite.

You're pushing buttons, seeking to score points. The context was set previously on the same page less than a few posts before it. Deportations referring to those Ukrainians in Ireland after the conflict had ended.

And anyone with half a brain would know that. So its rather telling that you would push this angle, especially since you've ignored everything else I wrote.

Meh. I'm done with you. Can't see the point in a poster so dishonest that you would twist posts just to score points like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So 200,000 is the worst case, what figure do you think we can provide adequate housing, education, healthcare and GPS when we can't give it to the Irish population.

As for Covid can you provide a source that Ukrainians were not offered an adequate amount of vaccines otherwise us offering them is meaningless?

You do realise we have Covid rules in place in healtcare settings so more people going to hospital even if they are not treated for Covid will cause issues for the health service.

I never said waiting lists are the fault of Ukrainians so I have no idea why you mentioned that I said I blamed the government.

It just proves my point that we won't be able to provide adequate healthcare to them.

• Advertisement

So like for everything else you actually have no answers.

in December 2021 - LESS THAN 5 MONTHS AGO ....... 97,000 Irish children were waiting hospital care in Ireland! https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40762941.html

Almost 30,000 children are waiting for more than a year, this is for life altering surgery i.e. spinal bfida , feet turning inwards, curvature of spine etc. Irish Hospital Consultants Association Professor Alan Irving said "we are facing a ticking timebomb of children facing health and development issues due to delays in accessing care". Even routine operations like tonsil delayed for over a year create hearing difficulties in children with greater health implications the longer the delay.

This is before we took any refugees into Ireland.

I recently sold a holiday home in a remote location in Connemara, as it happens. I'd guess most holiday home owners don't have mortgages. Owners would be likely to get an insurance discount if the property was occupied. I didn't have mine insured because the unoccupied risk premium was so high.

Even the LPT angle might be enough for some. As a former holiday home owner, what I suggested would have been considerable incentives for me. While some people might not

Transport could be an issue, but perhaps the government could help out there in edge cases. The EU has billions in aid in the pipeline that I'm sure could be used.

Your objections are so comprehensive I suspect you just don't want anyone to help Ukrainian refugees and don't want them in the country and don't want people to find logical and practical solutions that are a counter the 'couldn't possibly take them' narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Ha ha. Do you ever argue in good faith. I think your wumming most of the time.

Top weaselling.

You said nothing about the conflict being over when talking about deporting them to Poland.

Then there was a separate musing on some other nonsensical hypothetical.

Own you words at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yeah but think of the warm fuzzy feeling some people get by overwhelming Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Are these people you know prepared to look after them for a minimum of 2 years or do you believe the government is going to magic up new homes for them?

I have no idea.

Bizarre you think I would know the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Tbh, it creates a picture of what politicians have to deal with in terms of the outlook of people. It sounds rude, but some really seem to have the attention span of a mayfly. An additional permanent housing construction target of 35,000 homes is immediately accepted as unproblematic, in a context where lesser housing construction targets have not been delivered.

On another tack, we can have had a high publicity case of a doctor from within the EU (presumably satisfying qualification equivalence rules) engaged in widespread overprescribing, damaging patients and creating a liability for the State, yet many see no problem in waiving any obstacle to health and education professionals self-certifying.

Someone (I think Beasty) even waved a finger in the air and said the equivalent of "sure, just turn them loose on their own people, they'll hardly sue us if someone goes horribly wrong. They can just continue learning the ukrainian school curriculum, 'cos they'll have brought all de books with dem." I paraphrase. But that's what was said.

And as for folk appreciating that, unlike most of Europe, we're already coping with strong population growth. Like, you'd have to put actual effort into ignoring that one - it's not just being ignorant.

Very difficult to frame a sensible discussion. It's not just EU expectations that Government needs to manage. There's a fair chunk of the electorate that's wedded to impulse.

So nothing to do with Ukranians.

An absolute clusterfúck of our "own" making.

• Advertisement

Actually, I have to laugh at people who have never owned a holiday home and actually have never faced a significant CAT or CGT bill and think discounts would be minor incentives.

Australia has issued 5,000 visas and has no cap on it's intake.

"Around 5,000 Ukrainians have been granted visas to travel to Australia, including skilled migrant and family reunion visas, as well as student and tourist visas.

Once in Australia, they will be eligible to apply for the temporary humanitarian visa, which provide more certainty.

So far, 750 Ukrainians have made it to Australia, with more expected to arrive in coming weeks.

The federal government expects most displaced Ukrainians will want to remain in Europe, but has not put a cap on the number of temporary visas it will offer." https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-20/scott-morrison-visas-ukraine-military-humanitarian-aid/100925064

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Again, normal times, months of back and fourth and wishful thinking 🙄

Take a peek at a few threads on the very subject, you'll clearly discover the process you refer too is not at all straightforward I'm afraid.

Are you even aware of the state irish health system is in, do you seriously think a traumatised refugee is going to have the where with all to go through that process 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Poland has plenty of land

So has Ireland, what's your point we let them live in fields?

😕

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They're entitled to HAP....if they're renting a house just like any Irish person. You can't get HAP if you're living with a landlord.

I have no issue with those giving whole empty houses, it's the same as renting. But these people who have spare rooms now putting their hand out for money after pledging space? They can f off. The heating isn't affected. Maybe a little more electricity and food but they're getting social welfare and they'd be getting some of that off the refugees anyways.

Not such a great deed if they're getting paid for it ffs.

Bizarre you would be happy for us to take in 200,000 people who we can't provide adequate healthcare, childcare, housing and GPS while also making things worse for irish citizens.

Sure take in as many as we can properly provide proper services for but 200,000 is not realistic.

If you have no answers to these questions than how can you agree with taking in 200,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Indeed but poster thinks the opposite and just doesn't get how the system works.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Bizarre you would be happy for us to take in 200,000 people

Several times now I have pointed out that figure as nonsensical fantasy.

But yet here you are still banging it out. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes, and it shows that our infrastructure is already well beyond capacity - we do not have further capacity for 50k, 100k or 200k extras in the system.

It is a figure that I seen quoted so how is it fantasy.

What is fantasy is taking in people we can't provide for and wishing for the best.

• Advertisement

The figure has already been broken down and explained on here recently.

It's based on the absolute worst case scenario of half of Ukrainians having to flee to the EU.

It's extremely unlike to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement