Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Ha ha oh right, that's my theory debunked so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Called into McCoys, Lucan again today, after seeing they have a Born parked outside. So got to sit in it and have a poke around - it's a nice looking car, but I've decided it's not for me. It just doesn't feel special enough to get rid of my i3 and drop an addition €30k plus on getting - inside is just too dark, compared to the height and light I get in the i3. Still a nice looking car.

Also had a chat with the Salesperson - they're actaully alloted 12 cars for the year, with 9 booked but as others suggest, it'll be a case of you get to pick what they have, as opposed to order what you want. All the cars they are getting are the 58 non-eboost option, but thet are being pushed to try get orders in for end of year or into 2023, as demand will dictate production and supply in the future.

Yea all 58kW 204hp at first I believe. Arguably the biggest seller if all three versions were available anyway.

Which colour was the one you sat in? I drove the red one, not my 1st colour choice but still looked great in the metal.

Not sure about the ordering process they told you, my order was accepted with optional extras and nothing mentioned about taking what you are given. Having said that I'll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Still no word back from my dealer about changing spec. I just hope it isn't a repeat of VW who didn't even call me when the car arrived!

I also asked to remove the Cupra Care Pack from the delivery charge as I'm fussy about tyres and I see the ID.3 has the option to remove it. I also have to question the value for money when the Continental EcoContact 6 barely last people 15k as they don't have full tread depth.

Any idea how much the Cupra care pack is?

Can't see it priced individually on the brochure, only an €1800 delivery charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thought the Continentals and Goodyear were longer lasting, I know some people had problems with the Bridgestone tyres..

Delivery on VW stuff is €1,000 now so...€800 I guess :)

Someone on the ID.3 UK forum said they have a delivery date of December for their Born ordered two weeks ago. I wonder if that's a placeholder date or due to trim levels as they have 3 trims, with the ID.3 the Tour and Max trims seem to be the ones with the 2023 dates and other specs are arriving sooner. Also not sure if they have similar situation to us where there's an initial batch, which could also be fully allocated.

UK dealers are also guaranteeing prices, including if their EV grant expired.

Definitely not expecting July/August but hopefully not waiting until the very end of the year.

Heard from dealer that a couple of early orders just before me have had a build week allocated. Not sure how reliable that is but hopefully mine will get a build week soon too.

• Advertisement

^^^ middle of May btw

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Interesting. Nice if it's true abut I was talking to my dealer over the weekend and he said nothing and I was an early order. Build of mid May would probably mean delivery in mid June. At that stage I'd be holding him off till July 1st for a 222

Yea I'd be skeptical too, but he said they have a build week and then delivery is estimated about 4 weeks later.

We even discussed a potential delay with one of my chosen options, which points to at least some progress being made. No build week for me yet though.

Does the Born have high beam assist? Can't see it mentioned in the brochure, I just see 'light assist' and considering how bad the brochure is written that could just be a duplicate of auto lights.

Also slightly confused about what safety systems it has. The brochure makes a general mention of exit assist, turning/evasive steering assist, rear traffic alert on one page but no mention of if they're standard or not and the Pilot L pack isn't available at the moment so wouldn't make sense to have optional spec on the March brochure?

Standard spec shows pedestrian and cyclist protection, this could be the standard 30kph pedestrian collision detection that is part of Front Assist or exit assist where it beeps when opening the door?

Pilot L pack which isn't available has Travel Assist, Side Assist, Rear Traffic Alert and Emergency Assist. The January brochure has some errors which doesn't help, but standard spec also shows Emergency steering support with turn assist so not sure what has what.

I'm basically going to assume I just have the standard Front Assist collision detection stuff that I'm used to on my Golf and Lane Assist. I didn't notice blind spot monitoring on the car either?

I'd ask my dealer but I didn't get a follow up on my last call so someone here might have the answer. Just hope I don't lose high beam assist, it's great. The Born doesn't get Matrix LEDs so I hope high beam isn't a "you're not a VW so you don't get it" thing.

Page 15 to 17... cars-models-info-K11-product-guide-March-2022.pdf (cupraofficial.ie) has the safety packs.

High Beam Assist, i.e. Light Assist is standard on all models.

Ah they revised the March brochure. Rear traffic alert and exit assist are in the Pilot M+ pack only available for the eboost model which also no longer has the top view camera (formerly Pilot L). Lane assist is also mentioned in Pilot M+ but is standard equipment on page 17...

According to the user manual, rear traffic alert/exit assist uses two radars on the rear corners of the car and it seems blind spot monitoring is tied to this so safe to say standard cars won't have it? Unusual to not have blind spot on any half decent car these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Driving this at the moment, gets a lot of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

€42k.

That's the one I was considering but ended up deciding to stick with the ID3. Seats look excellent though.

Does the timed charging work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Look forward to the review as always.

Just don't do what every other review has done and hint that the ID.3 is better without any real reason like some of the EV channels!

I have to be honest, I prefer the Born. It looks damn cool (albeit 42k to make it pop) even fellas in their teens have been staring at it and to get those lads interested these days is hard work. It can take a bit of a thrashing into bends, it’s just a pity it isn’t 300bhp!!

Haven’t tried timed charging but I can!

It'll be interesting to see if they are running the equivalent of 2.3 or 3.0 from VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

Can you check the regen, your competitor who has recently released a video implied there was none..🙂. Just the brake pedal which is fine if that is the case. But loved the smart regen in "D" on my ID.3 (Which I no longer have).

The Born looks lovely, but think I prefer the cleaner simpler lines of the ID.3. The screen on the ID.3 also looks a bit simpler, but could just be a matter of getting used to the Born.

Born has the same regen. The ID.3/Born don't regen when you lift off the accelerator as it's more energy efficient to coast. It has smart regen which I believe is based on map location or front radar as it will regen near turns/roundabouts. It also has the normal brake pedal regen up to 0.25g and also regen during ACC.

I think smart regen needs to be activated in the menu, just not sure if it's based on map location or traffic in front. I don't believe ACC needs to be activate for it to regen in traffic.

That would be worth mentioning though. So many reviews just compare it to the ID.3 and are misinformed/don't know much about the Born. The Born is €38,160 delivered, a Golf Style 130hp is €37,225 and the Peugeot 308 GT Line 130hp is €37,800 so I think it's worth talking about as a day to day car. At least at higher trim levels it's a fairly even playing field in terms of price and you get nice spec and power for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭creedp

Dont understand this setup. I always adjust regen level using acceleratorsuit the road ahead. It shouldnt be an on/off option decided by the cars software. It seems to me that manufactuers want to take all decision making away from the driver. I've no problem with driver aids so long as they can be turned off when I actually want to decide how the car should be driven.

That fella hasn't a clue. He makes so many simple mistakes it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

If you have the ID3 in B mode then it will regen when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Advertisement