Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thought they had been on the path to joining for ages, just no real urgency to do so... Then Putin happened.

Wouldn't call it rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Our Russian friends are not happy with Japan at all (seems the move to denote the Azov Batallion as not being a terrorist outfit has greatly angered them).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have a lot of time for the man but how does the good Father suggest we pay for all this? Where do we get medium and likely for a fair number longterm housing in a housing crisis, that was seemingly intractable at Christmas? Where do we get all this cash after covid, pup a looming recession and rises in the cost of living? Where do we get the extra capacity in our health service that's been broken for decades, where there are already thousands of children on the waiting lists? Hope, good wishes and hugs and the magic money tree? He's a practical man so I'd love to hear the solutions.

Without real solutions the honeymoon period will be short enough as they tend to be and that's precisely where a "far right" that everyone seems to get thier knickers in a bunch is likely to come from.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Part of the problem here is that Ukrainian refugees are not "homeless" and trying to conflate the issue of accepting refugees into the country from a war zone and that of domestic homelessness is a complete distortion by the Irish far right.

These are two completely different subjects and need to be dealt with differently. Announcing that the country is "full" and we cannot accept any more refugees from Ukraine seems preposterous. What other country in the EU has even attempted this argument in recent weeks? Yes, accepting tens of thousands of refugees will put huge strains on resources, housing and the economy and the months ahead will be very difficult but I don't see the alternative. Also, our existing numbers of refugees and asylum seekers are very low by European standards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Some evidence would be nice. There has been zero regarding these mobile crematoriums beyond hearsay from Ukrainian sources and a photo of one from 2013 that was originally claimed to be current and local. And it's not as if the Russians seem to pushed about covering up anything, never mind that a bombed to hell city is a far easier and more practical way to dispose of evidence of any war crimes, or Russia can just blame the other side as they've done throughout.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The far right have their head up their arse. This is the same people shouting about the lack of staff down their local shopping centre cafe or pub yet give out when there's a need to import labour to fill it . Nothing but a bunch of blaggards.

Most of them probably giving out shite about the size of the queues in Dublin airport as they fanny off to Spain on their bi yearly jaunt to the sun.

I've no truck with that shite. And no truck with people who parrott the how do we pay for it . The same way we pay for anything else. There's a global financial system were part of the EU borrowing is an all time low.

The same people giving out this shite have sons and daughters in Australia and canada and wherever.

The world doesn't stop Wibbs. It's evolving we adapt we live through it. All you can hope is you were good to others and they were good to you whilst you were here.

Meanness kills you off early and is an awful way to exist.

You haven't answered the questions and there are a few of them. So how do we deal with them differently? I don't know how memories are so short when our resources like housing and health are already hugely strained. Again does anybody have any solutions beyond "we'll be grand" and "tighten our belts", because I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

looks like Russia is about to get a whole lot of Nato on her borders--

Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin says her country will decide whether to apply to join Nato "within weeks".

She said she saw no reason to delay the decision, at a joint news conference alongside Sweden's prime minister.

Her comments coincided with a report to the Finnish parliament that said membership of the bloc could result in "increased tensions on the border between Finland and Russia".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61093302

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are 65,000 holiday homes. The EU just released €3.5b for helping countries accommodate refugees, and in addition to that:

"OTTAWA, ON, April 9, 2022 /CNW/ - The "Stand Up for Ukraine" global pledging event and campaign has raised 9.1 billion euros ($12.4 billion) for people fleeing the Russian invasion, inside Ukraine and abroad, including €1 billion from the European Commission.

On top of that, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has announced an additional €1 billion in loan to cover the needs of the people displaced by the invasion.

Out of these €10.1 billion in pledges and EBRD funding, €1.8 billion are for internally displaced persons and €8.3 billion for refugees in frontline EU Member States and countries, like Moldova."

Where there's a will, there's a way. Irelands problem lies in the will department.

I hate to break it to you, but Ireland has one of the largest national debts on the planet. Before this kicked off. Covid raised it by 33 billion. And you want to borrow yet more? That's your solution? And it's suddenly far right to ask simple bloody questions because people are high on current and understandable emotions? Like they were about covid a few scant months ago. Funny how that's all but gone, yet large areas in China are under strict house arrest over it. How does this play out in six months or twelve?

Is that going to go away ? Weve also one of the fastest growth in Europe and no one to fill various jobs.

Has Ireland ground to a halt because our national debt is large ?

It's a handy catch all out for anyone that just wants to say sure look how much money we owe. So what ?...

There isn't a nation on earth that doesn't owe something..credit rotates the planet. We borrow we pay we live we grow etc yada yada yada.

I'll sleep content that Ireland didn't shirk it's responsibilities as a country. We pray on being welcoming worldly and have an absolute huge diaspora. But then you have blaggards spout the absolute opposite. Zzzz

May as well get Dev back and shut up shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I wonder would this add to their displeasure?

US and Japan in bilateral military exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There may be 65,000 holiday home but there's definitely not 65,000 people Willing to give up their holiday homes to become landlords

And just to address your point on suddenly far right to ask questions.

You introduced the term to the conversation in your last paragraph. I was responding to you not bringing it in as an example of asking questions. So don't pretend I raised it ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Not very generous financial reward, better take a Russian plane and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Austria was occupied and divided by the Allied powers following the war into zones manned by French, US, British and USSR troops (Vienna was an international city with rotating Allied military administration). The end of military occupation in the 50s was meant to be a dress rehearsal for Germany and perpetual neutrality for Austria was a condition of USSR troops leaving. The Soviets plundered the Austrian economy and industrial capacity in their zone, so the Austrians (and allies) were desperate to get them out as they were risking Austria becoming a failed state. Hunger and malnutrition was a feature as well.

In the end, Konrad Adenauer insisted on West Germany joining NATO (the French were outright opposed, and Eisenhower deeply skeptical).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Also supply drops often involve aircarft flying at lower and slower speeds.

Dropping from great height means a target slowly dropping for longer period of time.

Airborne troops dropped behind enemy lines always poses a re-supply problem and they always have a limited window.

Likewise with forces that are surrounded.

Even with air superiority surface to air missiles and traditional anti aircraft fire can increase losses significantly.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Shouldn't be given any access to the media at the UN

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Where there's a will there's a way. Would you ever contemplate doing a bit of volunteering yourself seeing as you spend a lot of time writing mini novels on the issue on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No the problem around here and on places like twitter is anyone anyway conservative is now labelled Far Right.

If you are for immigration controls, not taking in every spoofer that arrives claiming ayslum but without any documentation at all, if you warn about the very real threat of the growth of islamists and islamist organisations in the West, the continous mullarkey over men with penises claiming depending on the day that they are women just as much as a born and bred female with ovaries you are immediately labelled as being as bad as Himmler and thus Far Right.

It has make an absolute fooking joke of the term far right.

Far right is Putin, is the KKK, is the likes of David Duke, Brenton Tarrant, Anders Breivik not someone that 50 years ago would be a member of the Labour party.

And yes there are Far right people in Ireland and posters on here, but they are really in the minority.

There are far more Putin fanboys and girls, but get this not all are actually Far Right.

Some are like those two elected clowns who would actually be left leaning, but of the left variety that detests the West, detests US, NATO, EU and Israel. A real throwback to the cold War Western politics.

Anyone even a right winger fascist is to their liking just because of a shared hatred of the above groups.

BTW I have lost respect for the likes of Fr McVerry. He is another of those that have created an industry out of homelessness like a lot of other NGOs.

And yes I do know it is all because much like education and health in the past, the state and government absolve themselves of being responsible for providing services and contract out their duties.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Putin does attack Europe he'll go for a non Nato country, so Ireland will be the place to make a point .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Good analysis by Binkov. Posted an hour ago.

https://youtu.be/vgrtAqFT5V8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

It wouldn't be a bad thing in a way, if that way is eastern Europe living under the threat of increased Russian aggression because two of its largest military allies and stockpiles of nuclear deterrents just up and said they're under no obligation to intervene.

No, it would actually be completely sh/t. I'd far rather an organisation that may be imperfect, but gives Russia and China serious pause for thought in their imperial ambitions.

I've seen you now going on about the hypocrisy of America, and needing to let everyone know every time the Ruble gains .1%. I could write that off cynicism and realism, but to say the UK and the US pulling out of NATO might not be a bad thing really does make me wonder where exactly your sympathies truly lie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement