Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

While some argue that use of “partner” to refer to people in cis-het relationships appropriates LGBTQ language and culture...

erm, if anything partner was appropriated from 'cis-het' 'culture', not the other way around.

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm just gonna start talking in beeps and boops. Other peoples problem if they don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,316 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hang on - I thought people started using "partner" isntead of husband/wife/boy/girlfriend for the very reason it was more inclusive of LGTB in the first place...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

According to the 2020 Journal Citation Reports (Clarivate Analytics, 2021), The Physical Review Journals continue to be the standard-bearer in publishing high quality, peer-reviewed physics research

this is physics now...

article discussing this here:

https://mynorthwest.com/3409389/rantz-seattle-professor-physics-racist-whiteness/

Ill just quote this bit on whiteboards, because it goes deep

Though the researchers argue a whiteboard can be a positive tool if used collaboratively, they also claim that a whiteboard can center a discussion or lesson. That centering alters the power dynamics in the classroom and will “play a role in reconstituting whiteness as social organization.” Centering is whiteness because it assigns value to the issue being centered.

“In particular, whiteboards display written information for public consumption; they draw attention to themselves and in this case support the centering of an abstract representation and the person standing next to it, presenting. They collaborate with white organizational culture, where ideas and experiences gain value (become more central) when written down,” the research argues.

They argue that since Drake was the one to use the whiteboard, the whiteboard thus “collaborates with classroom expectations and gendered social norms to facilitate Drake’s centering and whiteness as social organization, making certain discursive and spatial moves risky or nonsensical.”

and response to criticism here:

https://journals.aps.org/prper/edannounce/10.1103/PhysRevPhysEducRes.18.010001

[...]The American Physical Society (APS) is engaged in a variety of programs to strengthen our discipline by building a more inclusive community [3]. The APS also realizes that systemic change is essential to achieve this goal.

It is in this context that we are concerned about some of the responses and reactions to a recent article published in PRPER which reported on a case study aimed at improving diversity and equity in physics [4]. The paper seeks to identify ways that seemingly neutral artifacts and behaviors actually support the culture of whiteness in physics. This is a controversial topic that clearly made some people uncomfortable. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

FFS, Whiteboards?!!

Jesus Christ, it's just that these students of today are too fxxxkin young to know that before whiteboards we had blackboards!!

This stupidity only continues only because people are allowing it. That paper should have been put straight in the bin and the authors given an F without warranting a response.

• Advertisement

TBF that's why I quoted the bit on whiteboards (or blackboards) the colour doesn't matter, it's their mere presence that reinforces White Supremecy...

wait, should I have capitalised that?

The authors capitalize “Black, Hispanic, and Students or People of Color” but “we choose not to capitalize white” because it is a “…socially constructed category that was created for the purposes of dominance and exclusion.” Oh, okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wonder what colour the paper that was written was written on? 🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Youd wonder what the overall cost of all of this nonsense is.?

The beneficiaries are the ppl spouting it. Charlatans the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Co2 emission ****. I bet these hippy dick heads have manicured beards

Seriously. I just want a **** burger

I'd love to know how they came up with those numbers too, be interesting to see their methodology.... I'm sure it wasn't just some online calculator type thing

• Advertisement

How much time on this did you spend looking for reading, quoting and deciding to be offended? Blackboards became chalkboards back in the 90s long before they actually became whiteboards (which is something else).

These idiots are in this for the attention and you have it to them. It's like dealing with Internet trolls - they don't care if you agree with you or not - he'll, the probably prefer if you dont - ask they want us you to read and validate them.

let me give you some advice - *stop feeding them*.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

So hear me: physics need to do something about white and black colours: black is the absence of light and white has all the light in the spectrum, and this is deeply colonial imperialistic and supremacist. Black colour needs to receive some of the white's light, ideally something like 70% or even more to make up for ~14 billion years of injustice. Physics need to change and make black a very bright colour and white a very dim colour.

How can this be done? Simple: photon energy contains Planck constant. Planck was of course white because African theoretical physicists were ignored at the time, so he got the white power to define the energy as he wanted. Physics laws need to be changed, his constant removed and replaced with a more inclusive i.e. black constant.

>How much time did you spend reading, quoting and trying to be offended.

Not enough. I must go back and read the whole paper. Especially where they talk about whiteness in 'a particular representation of energy' and 'physics values' whatever they mean by that, I'm guessing the Celsius scale...

This is being published by a sister publication of the Physical Review, and being promoted and defended by them, a 'proper' scientific journal, whose focus is physics, the physical sciences, not humanities...

And I don't go searching these out, by the way. Just come across them browsing facebook or reddit, usually

Ah, but has black consented to becoming more white?

Also - black is not the absence of light. Dark is the absence of light. Black absorbs the light, so techinically it's already got 100% of white's light. Blame Anish Kapoor.

Black absorbs the light, so techinically it's already got 100% of white's light

Are you trying to say that black ... loots all the white's light? And the white gives back all the colours? That is some reactionary stuff, you need to get canceled!

Pretty much. That's why black surfaces are hotter to touch that white ones on a sunny day.

But if a moot point though, because - y'know; people of colour not black.... (Which might sound wokey, but kinda relevant considering skin pigments aren't truly black or white)

Which might sound wokey, but kinda relevant considering skin pigments aren't truly black or white

Actually wokies will skin you alive for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Oh probably with a pencil while sipping an espresso out of a collapsible keep cup twisting their wanker moustaches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They have their pronouns on the title of the paper, enough said.

That garbage paper has nothing to do with Physics.

Observing Physics students behaviour is not Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Also not surprising to see that the university they are associated with is in Seattle. An absolute hellhole of woke.

• Advertisement

Physics students are both racist and not racist until you observe them...

And the very fact that you observe them determines whether or not they are racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

lol, reactionaries are so funny.

language has changed and evolved, and continues to do so, since the beginning of languages yet reactionaries seem to think that that all stops with how they understand words and meaning. No further unless it`s something they agree with. Such snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Na the real funny comes from people who try and contort the naming of inanimate objects to mean something completely off the wall and then attempt to change them cos “progress”. It takes a special kind of regressive mental retardation to draw lines and imagine meanings for things where there are none but that’s wokesters for you.

are you talking about the evolving meaning of 'woke', or...?

language is fluid and changes as people assign new meanings to words and phrases. This is the way it has always been.

what's your take on the meaning of 'whiteness', and is it something that we should try to avoid, something that should be actively combatted, or just something to take note of?

(or even something that should be encouraged?)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Really? Give us some examples so from recent history (not woke rewriting) where the meaning of a word has changed. Must be loads of examples surely?

'literally' was one....

i think enormity and fulsome are going that way, if they haven't already

• Advertisement

in what context ?

you must up your 'gotcha' game lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement