Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Already, experts in the field are saying that Ireland is going to have to do some radical thinking outside the box (in the way that it did in response to the Covid emergency). Perhaps build 30 or 40,000 new houses at breakneck speed that weren't scheduled to be built before the war broke out, or acquiring many unused properties using emergency legislation. The alternative of saying to the EU : "Stop sending us refugees from Ukraine.....Ireland is full" seems unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Think he has already made his point. Ukraine is in Europe and is a non NATO country. If you meant who's next I would have said Moldova is much more likely. Although thankfully thanks to Ukraine's military the chances of that happening have diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

What happened is that today the Finnish government released a security report to the parliament, which pretty much says Finland should join Nato. The prime minister visited Sweden in advance of this (also today), and told them Finland is joining Nato and we hope you'll apply at the same time. Whether Sweden will finish their discussions by the time Finland applies (there is a Nato summit in June) is another matter, but now they know what Finland is going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I'm not sure what Switzerland in the 1940s has to do with the West attacking Ukraine in 2022? If we're going down that sort of route, then there is De Valera and Hitler...Also if Ireland were located where Switzerland is and Switzerland were in the North Sea, maybe things would have been different.

Some European countries, of which Switzerland is one but not the only one, are neutral but back that neutrality up with well resourced armed forces. Switzerland has agreed to buy a heap of F35 fighter jets for example. Part of the reasoning is that it is easier to remain neutral when you are beholden to no-one - ie you can guarantee your own self-defence. Other countries, like NZ where I'm from, but also Ireland, rely to a certain extent (NZ => Australia, Ireland => GB I imagine) on other countries to guarantee their defence. If Ireland relies on the UK for a defence, it is a bit harder for Ireland to remain neutral should the UK attack another country and Ireland isn't in agreement. Switzerland on the other hand is very well armed, so can more easily remain neutral.

Ireland - popn roughly 5M. Armed forces 8'751 budget €780M (GDP 0.27%)

Switzerland - popn roughly 8M. Armed forces 21'000 (large reserve force though) budget €5 billion (GDP 0.68 %)

Which all does back to my original point that we have people giving out about other countries doing nothing, while Ireland is capable of contributing very little if at all to help Ukraine's armed forces. Ireland should in theory have a lot more investment in helicopters and a coastal navy, but relies on being an island, next to Britain, with no natural resources such as fossil fuels and minerals, to spend the minimum possible on defence. Fair enough, but you can't then go on about the other countries "doing nothing". Well you can, but you look like a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Interesting to see Turkish Airlines operating out of Russia, while at the same time Turkey is

hosting a NATO E-3 that is currently operating near the Moldovan border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hardly any reason to think Putin would have any problem with Macron.

If he was a great resource to the Ukraine or a threat to Russia in any way.

France is not a problem for Russia.

The world won't change if Macron disappears in to history or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are right, but offered some incentives, I think some might.

Until a month ago I owned one, so I think I might have a clue as to what some of the issues might be. Had the Irish government offered me a reduction in CGT or CAT to 10% on the next change of title, in exchange for hosting refugees, I would have gone to some lengths to secure that deal. I would be quite surprised if some other owners wouldn't want a slice of that action also. Then there's the LPT lever that could be pulled as an alternative.

Russia isn't winning it and that's a sort of winning for Ukraine.

The Ukrainians will be lobbing missiles and lead at Russian forces for decades if need be.

Can Russia sustain the level of winning it is enduring now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Comes along with this also Russia withdrew from long-running treaty talks over islands they dispute with japan and also have been running military drills

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-conducts-military-drills-isles-disputed-with-japan-media-2022-03-26/

Things getting sketcy in few areas now not saying anything will happen but russia is squaring up on a few fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

No idea what argument you're trying to make here.

Is it that Ireland and Irish people can't criticise other countries for not helping with their large and modern military; precisely because Ireland doesn't have a large and modern military? That makes literally no sense.

You might have a point if Ireland both had a large and modern military and also refused to send help to Ukraine. Which it doesn't; as you yourself so clearly pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

France has mainland Europe's last army, air and navy forces capable of significant power projection, are a cornerstone NATO member after re-entering the unified command structure, and are a keystone member of the EU.

Macron wants to maintain that, Le Pen to tear it all down. Le Pen getting elected would be like 5 Christmases rolled into one for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

There's no realistic separatist movement that could happen in Finland. More likely scenarios would be "unidentified" troops popping on the island of Gotland in Sweden, or the demilitarised Åland islands in Finland, or some partisan strikes on civilian/military infrastructure. There are likely to be Russian saboteurs in both countries.

Edit: Also, in 2015 Russia sent a lot of refugees to the border, to overwhelm the border crossings. You could see them doing something similar this time too, possibly with deported Ukrainians?

But of course, none of these will happen - Finland and Russia signed a friendship treaty in 1992, so they are friends. Surely Russia wouldn't violate an international treaty? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Russia getting shirty about Ukraine blowing up railways and fuel depots:

MOSCOW, April 13 - RIA Novosti. Russia will strike at Ukrainian decision-making centers if sabotage attempts continue on Russian territory, Defense Ministry spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov said.

"We see attempts of sabotage and strikes by Ukrainian troops on objects on the territory of the Russian Federation . If such cases continue, then the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation will strike at decision-making centers, including in Kiev , from which the Russian army has so far refrained," - he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think the whole idea of forcing tens of thousands of people to become will be a big hurdle to overcome when so many landlords are selling up and getting out of the Business all together,I said this would happen some minister jumps on the bandwagon and suggests we can easily take in 100,000 refugees from Ukraine in a few weeks ,

Yet we have a massive housing shortage and over 100,000 families waiting 11 + years for social housing ,but no thought has gone into this at all, which isn't fair on the Ukrainians or those already in desperate need for housing here ,we can fill all the hotels and Airbnbs but what will happen to our tourism industry when people can't book a room or Airbnb ,

It's probably a whole different thread

Some fúcking cheek they have.

They've caused billions of damage in Ukraine, much deliberate killing of civilians and they complain about a bit of railway.

Slava Ukraini!

65K holiday homes could likely accommodate 385,000 refugeees. I get that you personally, and a whole bunch of people on the appropriate thread, actively don't want answers or solutions. You all are entitled to your opinions. I'ts a bit OT so I'll leave it for the other thread.

It does, it's the only real globally significant military force on the continent.

Macron is keeping it in storage and their equipment in storage. So it is of no concern to Putin or Ukraine.

Lot of people big up Putin and Russia as decisive influences in every thing nowadays.

He cultivated actual heads of State in Europe, people like Le Pen etc were also rans.

A Life time of Le Pen wasn't worth a week of Sarkozy, Merkel, etc.

He went for those that were in position to deliver for Russia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I spend little or no time at all. I could pass good muster as a secretary typist or an olde stylee newspaper man.

Me. Earlier.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭corkie

This is an intriguing development for a number of reasons. Unlike Eastern European countries such as Poland and Romania that have enthusiastically supported US missile-defence deployments in Europe, Western European countries have traditionally been sceptical of and even hostile towards the idea of fielding missile defences. That’s largely because it entails a military commitment from Washington.

Germany would need both Israel and the US to agree to the sale of the Arrow 3 since it’s jointly produced by them. Germany’s announcement of its interest in purchasing the system may further heighten Russian paranoia on this issue. There is an irony at work here: Putin’s Russia has long claimed that US and NATO missile-defence deployments in Europe are a Western plot aimed at weakening Russia. Moscow’s actions in Ukraine may yet ensure that this will now become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Putin has opened a can off worms, if it leads to Europe increasing it's missile-defences?

Post edited by corkie on

"Defense Minister: France will send additional military aid to Ukraine"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Turks seem to have struck a real balance between NATO and Russia. Since WW1 they've been able to stirke a balance in most conflicts that followed. Turkey has called Russia's bluff a few times down the years and Russia took it. They've got a pretty decent military force and have nukes on their soil too. Turkey seems to be the bloke in the corner with others raising their voices and him sitting quietly, giving few fecks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You will get no sensible, truthful or logical answer to where that stuff is coming from because the answer is "us". I'm sure you'll notice a large overlap from people who also claim that the state bidding against people doesn't drive up prices, that pre-covid large scale immigration wasn't having an effect on house prices or availability etc. Liars basically. It really does come back around to "Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a racist". Jaysus, replace "racist" with "Nazi" and they're almost Russian. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭brickster69

Didn't Macron publicly call NATO brain dead recently and also France withdrew from NATO in 1966 until 2009 and asked for all NATO troops to be removed from France. Difficult to describe them as a cornerstone of NATO to be fair

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

**** what Russia thinks about anything at this stage. Parasites.

Now there's a photo to warm Vlad's cold, black, lifeless, decaying heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And at the same time they wanted their generals in senior nato command roles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

People desperate to pretend that theres any degree of difference between Macron and LePen on Russia when Frances coziness with Russia goes all the way back to DeGaulle. It wasnt Maccers who pulled France back into NATOs command sphere, it was Chirac. France was outside of the NATO integrated command for most of the post war period. France has made clear they are going to sit on the fence beside Germany while Russia goes at it. Interestingly the countries with the largest proportion of Russias foreign reserve? China is top with France just behind it and then Germany 🤔

LePen will change none of that. What actually gets people agitated about LePen is that she is deeply sceptical about the EU and you can't have that. 😂

Curious. My instinct is to believe Ukraine, given Germany's recent duplicitous inactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

France never withdrew from NATO, rather it withdrew from NATOs military command structure, it remained a NATO member between 1969 and 2009.

No country has yet left NATO, Greece did the same as France between 1974 and 1980.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭corkie

The presidents of Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia — all NATO countries that worry they may face Russian attack in the future if Ukraine falls — traveled by train to Kyiv to meet Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement