Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The money needed to fund this will become unserviceable once interest rates start going up and food shortages start hitting. There will be famine in ME and SA as Ukrainian, Russia and Belarus are major exporters of grain and fertiliser. Turkeys is already in financial trouble and Pakistan is next, inflation over there is getting out of hand already. I don’t think the government nevermind people are prepared. This is all before the winter energy crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The greater dublin area is not small. The GDA is a space bigger than greater london, which has more people in it than our entire country.

And parts of Finland are near uninhabitable - look up the population density of the country by map and you'll understand - most of it is coniferous forests or marshland and is neither farmed nor lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That part was referring to the people living at home. Canada for one there (and you can make an argument renting falls into the Canadian definition at times).

Their definition for example

That is, homelessness encompasses a range of physical living situations, organized here in a typology that includes 1) Unsheltered, or absolutely homeless and living on the streets or in places not intended for human habitation; 2) Emergency Sheltered, including those staying in overnight shelters for people who are homeless, as well as shelters for those impacted by family violence; 3) Provisionally Accommodated, referring to those whose accommodation is temporary or lacks security of tenure, and finally, 4) At Risk of Homelessness, referring to people who are not homeless, but whose current economic and/ or housing situation is precarious or does not meet public health and safety standards. It should be noted that for many people homelessness is not a static state but rather a fluid experience, where one’s shelter circumstances and options may shift and change quite dramatically and with frequency

Unsheltered and Emergency Sheltered are really what we consider it as. For number 3, Canada's definition uses the example of

PEOPLE LIVING TEMPORARILY WITH OTHERS, BUT WITHOUT GUARANTEE OF CONTINUED RESIDENCY OR IMMEDIATE PROSPECTS FOR ACCESSING PERMANENT HOUSING Often referred to as ‘couch surfers’ or the ‘hidden homeless’, this describes people who stay with friends, family, or even strangers. They are typically not paying rent, their duration of stay is unsustainable in the long term, and they do not have the means to secure their own permanent housing in the future. They differ from those who are staying with friends or family out of choice in anticipation of prearranged accommodation, whether in their current hometown or an altogether new community. This living situation is understood by both parties to be temporary, and the assumption is that it will not become permanent.

Now, myself and lots of people I know aren't living at home by choice. We're living at home cos rent is unaffordable and buying a house is impossible.

Ive spent a lot of time in Finland. I don't need a map. Finland is a very big country, any 'near uninhabitable '(you changed your description) places are very small. Trees can be cut down.

Dublin is small when everyone wants to live in it. That's obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

They may need counselling after the things they have been through . Sorry i missread your point I somehow missed the acute and immediate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I made suggestions that were way off being a pittance. Have you any concept of how little the transport links matter compared to what the situation is? Simple solution is to make the offer and if the refugees don't want it, fair enough, but I think you wouldn't want to get between them and that holiday home on the coast of Kerry or you'd get trampled.

Not all holiday homes are remote. I live in a nice rural area well liked by tourists and there would are holiday homes in the area owned by Dubliners and it's not remotely remote, it's basically a commuter village/town to the local big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They can apply for HAP for houses without a LL living there. They can apply for Rent allowance/supplement if they are renting a room in a family home.

I don't understand why people keep saying its supposed to be charity. I was always to pledge a bed. It was never supposed to be pledge a bed for free. Some will if this is what they want to do but it's always been clear that anyone wanting to rent a room can do so. There are people that usually rent spare rooms to foreign students. They pledged to keep those rooms for refugees. You expect them to lose the rent they would always get renting a room? It was clear from the get go that you could charge or offer for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

But what makes you think that those who pledged a room/ rooms in their own house want anything for it? I absolutely don't, in fact when I spoke to the red cross I was told it 'will most likely be at your own expense' and I said no problem. What sort of a fool pledges to take people in if they cannot afford it? Obviously you will always get the randomers who see a chance to make a few euro but don't tar all with the same brush. For me, it's simply to try and help desperate people in their hour of need, my home will be heated regardless of who's living in it.

While I fully get the concerns listed here regarding the huge numbers and potential knock on effects for housing/ health care etc, it's almost like some people don't want to see any Ukrainian people accommodated and those who do try to help must have an ulterior motive. Is it that hard to believe that some people just want to show compassion and do whatever they can? For me, a lot of the upset is the helplessness, looking at pictures of dead children but not being able to do a thing. And if that makes me 'too emotional ', then so be it but my husband is the same.

Poland also makes use of tower apartments, and fills it's space to a greater degree than what happens in Ireland, with our focus on houses, and tiny apartment blocks.

And it's not the case of simply throwing some money into Poland, but they're better situated to handle the refugees than Ireland, or most Western European countries are. Where are most of NATOs assets currently based? The same with the individual military from each other nation nearby. That provides engineers, medical staff, and hands-on labour needed for the creation of camps, along with the expertise to do so. It also means that the refugees are on the main continent, so it would be easier and more cost effective for the transportation of supplies needed. Central and Eastern Europe tend to have very good infrastructure for the transportation of people and items.. whereas with Brexit Ireland has been fumbling over distribution issues.

I guess it doesn't matter what reasons anyone points out as to why Poland and the other Eastern European nations are better as a destination for refugees, and Ireland is much worse, because people like yourself want them here. Reasons are irrelevant.

• Advertisement

So are any politicians taking in any refugees themselves or is that just for us plebs? Surly leading by example and taking a pay cut is what’s best for the country and the situation. I mean these are ‘extraordinarily times’.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like the only option is tent cities from next week for incoming refugees ,

Total shambles approach by the government ah sure we can take in 100,000 in afew weeks and people will happily surrender their property's to House Ukrainians,

Would have saved a lot time and effort if we sent our anti tanks weapons instead of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

They'll be in tents from Monday, some hotels have only signed up for a short stint n will be having tourists instead for the summer. The government is still 'looking into' paying paying people for taking in refugees and the housing minister has said there will be no limit on numbers coming.

This is gonna be some mess.

No limits on numbers coming where are they planning to house ,in the phoenix's park ?

We've too many idiots in power

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

According to some genius on here earlier we have 2 million sq kms of land in Ireland and the average person only takes up 2 sq metres of space so it'll all be grand apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

If the government think these Ukrainians will take the same treatment we have given to other refugees then they are in for a rude awakening. Our international reputation will be destroyed if we try to shove them into tents or even poor living conditions like direct provision centres.

Why?

TBH I suspect the Ukrainians would be more pragmatic and accepting of the difficulties involved. Have you seen what Ukraine is like outside of the main cities, or the more affluent areas? It's not any kind of well-developed nation. I think many people here should take a look at a few tourist vids/youtube travel vids to see what Ukraine is/was really like. The general standard of living was not high..

The truth is that most of the criticism and expectations for top quality comes from the NGOs, and likely the NGO's coaching refugees on what to say.

Let's imagine for a moment... you are fleeing a warzone with your kids in tow, and you're offered a safe place, with many of your own people, plenty of food or medical services nearby, but you would be in a tent. Not the average camping tent that the badly prepared family might use, but a military grade tent, complete with heating units, and likely properly prepared beforehand.. would you turn your back on that? And given time, prefabs and a decently built camp? Nah. You'd take what was offered, and bless those who gave it to you. Unless you were told to expect more...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And yet we have many “refugees” (the Ukrainians are actual refugees) staying on in these “Poor living conditions” even after their so called asylum is deemed successful. Funny that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is one of the best and most generous countries in Europe for the Ukrainians to end up in. That’s obvious from the extremely generous offer and the numbers now coming in.

That's what happens when you don't plan ,

Direct provision should be abolished but only when we have purpose built reception and holding centers , where asylum seekers can be held until a decision is made about whether they are a genuine or bogus case ,

If found to be bogus deportation straight from the holding center.

And the idea we can just take in 100,000 + on a whim when we have thousands of our own being housed in hotels because there is no homes permanent or temporary available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hold on to what you have and where you have and for fûcks sake stay healthy… the road ahead is going to be rough until we can extricate ourselves from the EU… this absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Why make up fake statistics "we have thousands of our own being housed in hotels"

"By the end of January, there were 106 families residing in commercial hotels. In January 2021, that number was 175. This is a reduction of 69 families. The highest number was in March 2017 when the number of families in commercial hotels reached 871.

https://www.homelessdublin.ie/content/files/DRHE-Monthly-Report-January-2022.pdf

I'm not saying having over 100 families in hotel accommodation is ideal but no need to push a false narrative.

Currently over 9000 people are living in "emergency accomodation" around the country ..

False narrative ,yeah no

I think the only thing everyone agrees on is that our government are a bunch of clowns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One you apparently want to add to with no plans beyond it'll be grand... If I set my house on fire because of stupidity and then my housemate brings in more wood to add to it, who's the more stupid?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You said "we have thousands of our own being housed in hotels"

If you think we do post something to back it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love how you define a "few". 25,000 already, with figures of 200,000 bandied about. Can I have a "few" quid from you?

And why in god's name do you think that is? Because the unoccupied properties are either unsuitable for living in or are so far off the beaten track away from facilities, schools, employment and so on, y'know the kind of places people want, need to live in. But sure put war fleeing refugees who don't have cars into these properties. That's bound to work out. I would really like to know what people are smoking, because it's premo stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Fair enough even when presented with real numbers and backed up with a source.

"By the end of January, there were 106 families residing in commercial hotels. In January 2021, that number was 175. This is a reduction of 69 families. The highest number was in March 2017 when the number of families in commercial hotels reached 871."

• Advertisement

But over 9000 people are in "emergency accomodation"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement